PDA

View Full Version : when is it time to switch?

mongoose_tennispro
05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
just want to see what peoples ideas are about when to switch to a new racket.

user92626
05-20-2011, 04:16 PM
when you have extra cash...

nalvarado
05-20-2011, 04:24 PM
When you break your last frame.

roundiesee
05-20-2011, 05:19 PM
IMO, it's time to change when you find it difficult to play with your present frame; this may be due to many reasons, but for me, most are due to "me" and not the "racket" itself (eg, slowing reflexes, injuries, etc). I find it easier to play with tweeners as one gets older, and the change usually results in more satisfaction and more wins on the court :)

eidolonshinobi
05-20-2011, 05:25 PM
When you get better.

LeeD
05-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Anytime.
You can be the fashion plate with a new racket every hit, or you can keep hitting with the same racket for 20 years. Whatever float's your boat.

canadad
05-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Good question! I think I waited too long to switch in two different occasions. I have used Wilson Hammer 6.2's for about 10 years. It seems crazy to me that I used them for that long. By the end, my shoulder, bicep and triceps were about to fall off.
I used a K Pro Open for two years and I can honestly say they made my game worse. They will go done as my worst purchase ever.
I switched Head Speed 18x20's and my game has never been better. I feel much more confident with them. They suit my game.
All things said, the switching was the most fun, I demoed about 15 sticks and it was sooooo fun.

NLBwell
05-20-2011, 08:26 PM
When the old ones develop fatigue cracks.

(That's if you've tried enough rackets to be certain the one you have is good for your game. You must be satisfied with good, not the absolute best, because otherwise you can go into the infinite racket demoing wilderness.)

Fuji
05-20-2011, 08:31 PM
When the old ones develop fatigue cracks.

(That's if you've tried enough rackets to be certain the one you have is good for your game. You must be satisfied with good, not the absolute best, because otherwise you can go into the infinite racket demoing wilderness.)

This exactly! When my PSC 6.1 got them in the base of the throat. Best racket I've ever used but I'll never find one that plays the same as MY PSC 6.1. Then the try to buy's came and after flirting with many a frame, I've settled on my Yonex's for the time being. It's hard to find something to replace the one you love!

-Fuji

Netspirit
05-20-2011, 08:49 PM
When it's obvious. When someone can wake you up in the middle of the night and you will tell them what exactly have been hurting your game and what exactly you are looking for. When you measure your serve (or stroke) with a sports radar and it clearly shows you that a lighter (or heavier) frame maks a few MPH consistent difference. When you arm gets tired, or when your shots are too lightweight to hurt your opponent.

tata
05-21-2011, 02:14 AM
When you do things exactly the same (or you think you do them the same way but cant seem to go back to your old ways) and you get results that greatly differ. It's time to find a racquet that suits the way you change.

fuzz nation
05-21-2011, 04:06 AM
On a lighter note, how 'bout when they start to smell?

On the slightly more mature side (and I do mean only the thinnest of margins), I think that when a player's confidence in their gear is completely gone, a switch is probably a smart move. I don't mean sawing the old racquets in half after a bad weekend, but more along the lines of racking up weeks or even months where you've lost that lovin' feeling.

Just make sure that you're not in the middle of being burned out. Different racquets probably won't fix that.

When a racquet's extra power or unpredictable response makes a player feel as though they need to really hold back in order to keep the ball down on the court, that can also be a form of lost confidence, but it may simply mean that it's time for new strings. Maybe even a different string layout from the old one.

Generally, I suppose that the relationship with any racquet should be more love than hate.

mongoose_tennispro
05-21-2011, 04:33 AM

On the slightly more mature side (and I do mean only the thinnest of margins), I think that when a player's confidence in their gear is completely gone, a switch is probably a smart move. I don't mean sawing the old racquets in half after a bad weekend, but more along the lines of racking up weeks or even months where you've lost that lovin' feeling.

Just make sure that you're not in the middle of being burned out. Different racquets probably won't fix that.

When a racquet's extra power or unpredictable response makes a player feel as though they need to really hold back in order to keep the ball down on the court, that can also be a form of lost confidence, but it may simply mean that it's time for new strings. Maybe even a different string layout from the old one.

Generally, I suppose that the relationship with any racquet should be more love than hate.

ah thanks that really helps
thanks to all of you

NLBwell
05-21-2011, 06:41 PM

You probably only need to change the grip and quit eating french fries when you play.

Backhanded Compliment
05-21-2011, 07:21 PM
when you are changing levels of play from 3.5 to say 4.5 at that point you really start to understand your game. After you figure that out it's mostly about being able to have a couple of frames because the racket manufacturers switch things up every 2 years. Back in the old days I played with a 200G for 8-9 years. Others used prostaffs for a decade. Today they mess with popular frames slightly every 2 years so having a steady supply becomes tough. I like to have 2 or 3 when I like something... and I like the Youtek Prestige MP. Plays great, looks great.

Then there is the problem of trying out a friend's frame and you like it.

lethalfang
05-21-2011, 08:22 PM
... when the racquet company convinces you that the new technology will increase power by 23% and sweet spot by 18%.

Fuji
05-21-2011, 08:24 PM
... when the racquet company convinces you that the new technology will increase power by 23% and sweet spot by 18%.

LOL! Don't forget the 1st serve percentage by at least 33% as well!

-Fuji

Mick
05-21-2011, 08:39 PM
whenever your tennis idols change racquets :)

courtking
05-21-2011, 10:42 PM
when Wilson release a new BLX PS 88 for sampras..

tennisexecutor
05-22-2011, 06:54 AM
whenever your game gets so bad that your last resort is to start placing the blame on your frame and convincing yourself that a change will fix it.

c_hari_c
05-22-2011, 05:53 PM
When you have gotten into better shape to handle heavier frames for 3 sets that can reward you that others don't. I have lost about 10 pounds and have gotten quicker and stronger and now consider switching to the BLX 90 from PSL.

OldButGame
05-22-2011, 05:56 PM
...Two old old axioms,...."Always change a losing game",..........and,...."Dont fix it if it aint broke",....

trilix
05-23-2011, 03:27 AM
When a new paintjob of the ps 6.0 95 comes to that german webshop ;)