PDA

View Full Version : Head YOUTEK IG Speed Elite

Nikae
05-21-2011, 08:39 AM
I have been using APD Cortex (300g) racket for past 2 years, and racket stifness was KILLING ME.

I am also a small guy 5'9 154 pounds, and I think 300g + strings,overgrip,vibrastop is also a bit heavy for me.

Since I can't demo any rackets around here, I was looking for something lighter, less stiff. So, anyone has experience with
Head YOUTEK IG Speed Elite ?

I know it says its 65 stifness, and APD cortex was around 70, but has anyone actually play with both rackets and can tell me the difrence?

oh, and BTW, I am around 3.5, mostly base lane player, I like to add a drop shot a lot too, and I don't go to net that often, do you think Head YOUTEK IG Speed Elite would be a good choise for me?

Thanks!

Nikae
05-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Hmm, edit funcion not working now.

I wanted to change that I am 4.0 player, not 3.5.

bertrevert
05-22-2011, 05:17 AM
First off I haven't played with both racquets. I have however played with a Bab PD (swirly) and Bab PS, the lighter version. The former gave me occasional twinges, the latter was ok but lacked any feel.

Well the Head YOUTEK IG Speed Elite it is somewhat of a stiff racquet but not as bad as some I've come across in the past.

I had 2 x 2 hour hitting session with it, and prob hit more balls than I would if playing points.

I have had TE twice before so I know what it is and I know what to look for.

Good news is I think they've done a good job in preventing vibration and I have no twinges or any inkling of anything from the frame. I have only some syngut in it so far though. I will want to put in some poly mains next so I may be able to further judge at that point.

I would have thought it was less than 65, mind it is a 22mm beam so it isn't a noodle.

I also top out weight-wise around 300-320 grams.

It's a well balanced frame and prob hits the heaviest ball I have ever got out of such a lightweight frame. It lacks mass and so sometimes it doesn't provide enough resistance in a swing, yet if your technique is sound you compensate.

I like it because it's been immediately been good for my backhand. I now have to tune in my serve. Def one of the more modern stiff racqs. It will take time before I can confirm it is no arm wrecker.

On sale atm... :)

Dharmaboy
06-29-2011, 11:54 AM
I know this is an old post but I thought I would just fill in for those wondering.

I had a great demo with this racquet yesterday. The demo had been used quite a bit so the strings were pretty loose. It had a pretty forgiving sweetspot for those uncentred shots.

I was able to bullet my serves. Last night during doubles I only DF'd 2 times in a set. A big factor was my tennis elbow. I am getting rehab for it and ART to see if I can cure what ails my shoulder and forearm.

All in all a great racquet and I liked it so much I am picking up one this weekend.

user92626
06-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I have two non-IG Elite's. They are great rackets against slow-average speed shots. It's a bit challenging when you run into anyone who can push you behind the baseline.

I'm learning a new serve. I thought I had it pretty good, powerwise, with the elite. Then, today I picked up my apdc again and serve the same way. I couldn't believe how much power I missed with Elite. Elite is too light for good serve if serving is important to you.

cayzi
06-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Nikae:

I recommend you to try IG Speeed 300 as well. A little less SW and more weight, even balanced. Did not try Elite but I will 315 in future but people in the club which tested those racket told me that IG 300 performs better.

But it the end is always a personal opinion so I would recommend you to try IG 300 as well and compare.

Dharmaboy
07-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Just throwing in my 2 bits.

I have the IG Speed elite. I demo'd the stick first and liked it quite a bit. I have some shoulder and arm issues, so I have this strung very log at 53 and using multi for strings.

My observations:-

It's a tad headlight (i used some lead tape at 3 and 9)
Not as forgiving as I thought when hit out of the sweet spot
Slices like a dream
Excellent to volley with
Lack of power forced me to hit a bit more loopy (low power but lots of topspin)
Defensive shots outside of the sweet spot made the stick twist in my grip.
Excellent for flat forehands. I was backing my hitting partner 5 or 10 feet behind the baseline.
Good for 1st serves going in flat, but slices serves and topspin server consistently land half way in the box.i am trying out a heavier version in the Speed 16x19 which I just got off Toshi, I will let you all know what I thought of it. (strung weight is just a bit more than my Elite)

roundiesee
10-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread; just thought I'd give me 2 cents about the YT IG Elite. Yesterday was the first time I played a doubles match with it, and I won all 3 sets I played! I was losing quite a lot lately with my KPS88, and my wife suggested I try her racket. The Elite was a very "useful" racket in doubles; very manueverable, volleys well, and hits a decent ball. Touch shots at the net were also good. The only problem I had was serving with it, but I changed my serve mechanics to a lower toss and that seemed to work. I had a minor twinge in the arm but I think it was due to the hybrid poly string and not the racket. I shall be looking to restring it with a soft multi soon to see how it plays. Overall a very good racket to pay doubles with but of course it doesn't quite have the same wonderful feel of the KPS88.

bertrevert
10-23-2011, 04:44 AM
Wow roundie - how do you swap between those two?

Well I don't imagine transitioning is very easy?

The Elite if I remember was just too light - it was a bit hard to feel connected, directions with it. You know you make connection with the ball and you don't really know where it's going to go. I think that disconnect comes for me if I am not really hitting through the ball and that comes about when the racquet is just a little too light. I'm sure its SW would be perfect for many players.

I can imagine its manouverability as real bonus in doubles...

roundiesee
10-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Wow roundie - how do you swap between those two?

Well I don't imagine transitioning is very easy?

The Elite if I remember was just too light - it was a bit hard to feel connected, directions with it. You know you make connection with the ball and you don't really know where it's going to go. I think that disconnect comes for me if I am not really hitting through the ball and that comes about when the racquet is just a little too light. I'm sure its SW would be perfect for many players.

I can imagine its manouverability as real bonus in doubles...

Strangely, I did not find it difficult to adjust to this lighter racket. I think the reason is that even though the Elite was light, it was closer to an even balance racket. Moreover the scene was mainly a doubles match which required quick exchanges at the net. There definitely was an advantage to wield a racket that light but strangely solid at the same time. Anyway, I had nothing to lose cos I was losing too many matches with my kps :cry: