PDA

View Full Version : Can a really small grip be a good thing?

McEnborg
05-21-2011, 12:42 PM
I was hacking around with my younger daughter's Prince Junior EXO Tour racket -a 26.5 length with a very small 4 to 4 1/8 grip.

I was surprised by some of the shots I could hit with it. It was so maneuverable and I felt like I could swing so fast but also control the ball almost anywhere I wanted.

Just wondering...what gives? I felt like I had more topspin, better slice and better drop shots/lobs. While the racket only weighs about 9.8 oz. and has thinner beam, I felt like I got good pace, perhaps by my increased swing speed.

Is the combination of the smaller grip/lesser weight and slightly shorter length a good thing? I'm confused. The racket was so maneuverable and to be honest, I hit some of the best shots of my life.

Mick
05-21-2011, 12:47 PM
i was checking out some of the racquets at a tennis shop the other day and tried out all grip sizes. even size "0" felt okay. my normal grip size is size "4"

autumn_leaf
05-21-2011, 02:34 PM
i played with a kid's o3 hybrid os. i think it was only like 10oz. that thing was so whippy. i got massive spin and speed with it.

i think it was the fact it was much lighter than the smaller grip size. the smaller grip size makes me more use my wrist more, that i didn't like .

El Diablo
05-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Small grip and low weight are a set-up for tennis elbow.

Marcus
05-22-2011, 12:47 PM
also... try returning a strong serve or a volley from a well struck passing attempt with a "too small" grip....

Not good !!

mctennis
05-22-2011, 07:35 PM
I think just hacking around a small grip is okay. In a true match I think you'd suffer with control and then have wrist pain for weeks.

ATP100
05-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Can a really small grip be a good thing?

NO

pennc94
05-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Small grip and low weight are a set-up for tennis elbow.

Not sure about the comment regarding mass, but grip size - NO.

See study which says too big or too small does not impact tennis elbow:

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/34/12/1977.abstract