PDA

View Full Version : Leaving London...

Davro
05-21-2011, 08:53 PM
So I am leaving London after a 6 month love affair.

A little background is in order I suppose. I have been a member here for just under a year, mostly as a lurker. I started playing tennis a year ago this week after having been an athlete my whole life and am now a 4.0 Usta player. I played professional soccer in England for a brief time and other sports in high school, but since I am 31 now, I needed a sport that I wasnt going to get a broken leg from. In any event, after dabbling with a few racquets, I found the London based off of reviews on this forum and have been pretty pleased. However, after an extensive demo of the Prince Exo3 tour 100 18x20, I have to make the switch.

My ground strokes have improved and are much more versatile. The flex of the racquet allows for me to be very aggressive and offensive without worrying about hitting the ball into the parking lot. Once you get accustomed to the feel of the stick, things are very predictable. Volleys are nice with a cushioned and yet still solid feel. The London has a nice feel to it, but it always seemed like there was not enough upside. I got a lot of feedback, but it didnt improve on anything enough to make me say wow.

Service return with the Exo3 Tour is outstanding and I feel I can put my opponent under pressure every time they give me an opening. The only area I dont know if I can give to the Prince over the Becker is in serving, but I dont think I give anything up in that regard. I think that with a little more time, the Prince will fill my serve needs well.

As sad as it is, my two Londons are going to be leaving my bag soon. I really wanted to love these sticks, but a prettier girl came by and I have to buy her a drink. I dont think I can sell them just yet as we've had some really good times, but if I keep playing this well with the Prince stick they may have to go.

canadad
05-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Hey, sometimes she just won't let you grow and it is time to cut her lose.

I had the same experience with the KPros, but I was not getting any better and my serve was slower than ever. I tried for two years and in my opinion, it made my game worse. All the power to you. I bought the KPros off of reviews and well and also based off what type of player I thought I should be. That was a mistake.
I now have some Speed 18x20's and my game is much better.

mctennis
05-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Is that the Tour 100 or the Tour Team 100?

Brian72
05-22-2011, 07:05 AM
I have the Prince EXO3 Tour 100's with the 16 x 18 string pattern. I'm serving better with these rackets than I ever have.

I use to play the volkl pb 10 mid (93) and thought it was great on serve.

The one thing I did to help the prince along was add lead at 3 and 9 and also at 12. My kicker and my flat serves have been fantastic since doing this. And it's added a lot to my 2 handed back hand.

I'm looking forward to trying the 18 x 20. I'd like to have two of each in my stable :)

coolblue123
05-22-2011, 07:39 AM
All are great racquets. There isn't a racquet company that makes a bad racquet nowadays. Sorry to see you leave the London clan!

Davro
05-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Its the Exo3 tour 100 18x20, not the team version.

TimothyO
05-23-2011, 04:59 AM
Davro,

I too had been a London user. After being a strict "open pattern" person I've started experimenting with 18x20s. I too prefer lower power racquets and am enjoying the greater control provided by 18x20 patterns. I had feared the loss of spin potential but haven't really had any problems in that department with my PSLGT.

With that in mind I've just ordered a Speed MP 18x20 since it's on sale. But I had also considered the Prince EXO3 100 18x20 having had a great experience with the 16 version. I'm thinking these two racquets, with a head size larger than the PSLGT but still having a dense pattern, might provide even more spin potential while retaining a good deal of control.

What has been your experience with the EXO3 18x20 with respect to control and spin potential? The PSLGT is laser guided in precision and I still get great spin. Have you tried smaller hoops with 18x20 for comparison purposes?

JackB1
05-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Davro,

I too had been a London user. After being a strict "open pattern" person I've started experimenting with 18x20s. I too prefer lower power racquets and am enjoying the greater control provided by 18x20 patterns. I had feared the loss of spin potential but haven't really had any problems in that department with my PSLGT.

With that in mind I've just ordered a Speed MP 18x20 since it's on sale. But I had also considered the Prince EXO3 100 18x20 having had a great experience with the 16 version. I'm thinking these two racquets, with a head size larger than the PSLGT but still having a dense pattern, might provide even more spin potential while retaining a good deal of control.

What has been your experience with the EXO3 18x20 with respect to control and spin potential? The PSLGT is laser guided in precision and I still get great spin. Have you tried smaller hoops with 18x20 for comparison purposes?

It's all about the size of the squares in the racquet's middle. A 18x20 in a 100" racquet is the same as a 16x19 in a 95". Also, different racquets move their outer strings in closer to make the drill pattern more closed.

TimothyO
05-23-2011, 07:20 AM
It's all about the size of the squares in the racquet's middle. A 18x20 in a 100" racquet is the same as a 16x19 in a 95". Also, different racquets move their outer strings in closer to make the drill pattern more closed.

I've noticed that. For most of my racquets there's a clear relationship between hoop, pattern, density, power, and spin potential.

Using an envelope and pen to compare relative string density I ranked my frames from dense to open...

PSLGT 95/18x20
PB10 Light. 98/18x20
PB10 Mid. 93/16x19
BioM 200 Light. 95/16x19
EXO3 Tour 100/16x18

A friend is using my AG 4D 100 so I don't know where it falls on this scale...probably more dense than the PB10 Mid.

I think my limit on "openess" is the PB10 Mid. I can generate insane spin with more open patterns and enjoy that experience but have trouble with control. For just screwing around and hitting for fun I certainly enjoy open patterns.

But for competitve play I like dense patterns for their greater precision and lower power. The balls goes where intended and I can swing really hard to generate top spin just fine, even at 18x20.

Yesterday I hit with the PB10 Mid and am always amazed at its combination of power, precision, and spin potential. My only challenge with it is when I'm tired and not spot on I can hit long. The lower power PSLGT gives me a little more margin for error. Thus my curiosity about 18x20 at 100". Might it provide some of the same spin potential of more open patterns with greayer control. Really looking forward to trying this out!

JackB1
05-24-2011, 10:17 AM
I have the Prince EXO3 Tour 100's with the 16 x 18 string pattern. I'm serving better with these rackets than I ever have.

I use to play the volkl pb 10 mid (93) and thought it was great on serve.

The one thing I did to help the prince along was add lead at 3 and 9 and also at 12. My kicker and my flat serves have been fantastic since doing this. And it's added a lot to my 2 handed back hand.

I'm looking forward to trying the 18 x 20. I'd like to have two of each in my stable :)

How does the Tour 100 16x19 compare with the London?