PDA

View Full Version : Playing with a smaller grip?

dthomas
05-21-2011, 10:47 PM
They stopped making the grommet strips for my ncode tour 90's, so now I have to change racquets. I'm going to purchase some BLX Tour 90's, but I'm not sure about the grip size. I have been playing with a 4 5/8 for years, but when I tried the demo, I liked the smaller grip size of 4 1/2. I have a big hand, but I like the smaller grip size. There is no space between my fingers and palm when I grip it. I'm wondering if a smaller grip size like that might cause elbow problems or other problems for my arm. Thanks!

Giannis
05-22-2011, 12:09 AM
It might cause you some problems in the long run if you arent experienced and squeeze the grip too hard. If you want to find the correct grip size by holding the racket and checking the space between your palm and ring finger, make sure u hold it like when you play, dont squeeze it hard or hold it too loose. Then, there should be enough space between your palm and ring finger to put your little finger finger or half of that (not the index finger, this is outdated)

However, if you find comfortable the grip you tried and play better with it, it isnt necessary to change.

ProgressoR
05-22-2011, 03:37 AM
I couldnt find my "ideal" grip size for my back up racket so got a size smaller (L3 instead of L4), I havent found any real difference, most times I dont even know which one I am hitting with unless I make an effort and look at the handle.

Kyrock
05-22-2011, 06:27 PM
I play with a 4 5/8 grip, and i tried playing with a 4 1/2 for a few weeks, and i felt there was more racquet twisting in my hand and caused me to get a blister. So i had to build up my grip to 4 5/8, and i feel more stable now. It's all personal preference.

NLBwell
05-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes, it can cause severe problems to go to a smaller grip - I've messed my elbow so I couldn't play for a couple of weeks up borrowing a friend's wife's racket to hit with him and just hitting with him for an hour. Of course, it doesn't affect most people this way.
What I've done is go from a 4 5/8 to a 4 1/2 built up to 4 5/8 including the overgrip. It works well especially if you like to add weight under the grip like I do.

prjacobs
05-22-2011, 06:54 PM
It's certainly worth a shot. I've moved down 1/8th and I've enjoyed it a lot.

LeeD
05-22-2011, 07:02 PM
I normally play with 4 5/8 with an overgrip.
Trying the smaller grips, down to 3/8, I find I need a stronger swing and a heavier racket to get rid of the twisting on mishits. I hardly ever hit centered.
Stronger swing and heavier racket I cannot wield, as I"m old and injured. So back to 5/8th grip and 10.2 oz racket with 308 sw seems to work just fine.

mctennis
05-22-2011, 07:04 PM
I tried doing the smaller grip for a bit. It hurt my wrist a lot for about two weeks after playing about 2 hours one evening. I do either the 1/2 grip with an overgrip or just a 5/8 grip.