PDA

View Full Version : Question about Wooden Prince Raq. Not a Woodie.

eclecticcity
06-26-2005, 01:01 PM
:confused: :confused: I just found an old Prince raquet that is ALL WOOD, and not a Woodie. It has a small head (for Prince) and I don't know how to find it's age, or where to find one like it. No posts on ****, or the Prince site.

Any ideas?

Gaines Hillix
06-26-2005, 02:47 PM
:confused: :confused: I just found an old Prince raquet that is ALL WOOD, and not a Woodie. It has a small head (for Prince) and I don't know how to find it's age, or where to find one like it. No posts on ****, or the Prince site.

Any ideas?

Take a look at www.woodtennis.com (http://www.woodtennis.com) and it might help if you could put some pix of it up and post a link to them on here.

galain
06-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Sounds like it might be worth hanging on to.

AndrewD
06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
As far as Im aware, the only time Prince made a wooden racquet smaller than oversize was when they had just signed Pat Cash. He had finished with the Slazenger Vilas (correct me if Im wrong about the model) but wasn't ready to go to an alloy or graphite racquet. So, Prince made him some midsize (90sq) frames which were, in effect, just scaled down Prince Woodies. I dont think he ever used them for tournament play and have a vague notion that his signing with Prince coincided with one of his many injuries. After returning from injury he went straight to the Magnesium Pro. However, Peter MacNamara who was just returning from a number of years out of the game - after his knee injury- did use a midsize Prince Woodie in a Davis Cup tie against New Zealand. Guess the year would have to be around 1985-86

Id imagine it was never a production line frame so only intended for certain players.

Does the racquet you're talking about look like a smaller version Prince Woodie? If yes, then it could well be one of those.

Capt. Willie
06-26-2005, 07:36 PM
I can only remember the 110 (which was really more like 104-105) Woodie...I had two of them. If it is much smaller than this, I would have to believe it was a custom made one for the players listed in AndrewD's post. Unless they sold midsize ones in other parts of the world. Can you post some pics and tell us more as to how you came across this? Oh, and by the way, the Woodie wasn't all wood...it had graphite skin and inlays.

galain
06-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Andrew

Cashy's racquet was a painted Golden Ace. I don't know if Peter Mac's was also, but the midsize Prince Woodie cash used was a PK frame that had been doctored.

Interestingly enough, he spent a little while using a Fischer Superform around that time, but went to the Mag 90 instead.

tandayu
06-26-2005, 10:22 PM
:confused: :confused: I just found an old Prince raquet that is ALL WOOD, and not a Woodie. It has a small head (for Prince) and I don't know how to find it's age, or where to find one like it. No posts on ****, or the Prince site.Any ideas?

Prince Precision Mono?

AndrewD
06-27-2005, 12:54 AM
galain,

Prince actually said that they'd made a racquet for McNamara but something a bit smaller than his older Prince Woodie. I assumed Cash was using the same model as it looked almost identical right down to the decals. How do you know Cash was using a ProKennex?

galain
06-27-2005, 01:58 AM
Both John Frawley and Mark Kratzmann told me.

(God I feel old!)

AndrewD
06-27-2005, 03:43 AM
Both John Frawley and Mark Kratzmann told me.

(God I feel old!)

Im guessing it was quite some time ago they told you - as in, you couldnt just phone them up now and ask what Peter Mac was using LOL.

Possibly then the Prince that MacNamara used was only a ProKennex painted up to look like the Woodie. I think that would make a lot of sense - economically speaking. Rather than create a new frame and fork out for the set-up costs Prince paints up a ProKennex for MacNamara and Cash to use while they're adjusting to the new frames. Might also have been a sign of good faith . Let Cash use what he wants for the moment during competition as long as it has our logo on it but have him working towards adopting one of our current frames.

That's just speculation but it doesn't sound too fanciful.

galain
06-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Andrew - this conversation took place at Frawley Racquet Club in Rothwell (out Redcliffe way) in 1987 I think. Like I said - feelin' OLD!

I did have a quick chat with Peter Mac at the qualies at this years Oz Open though, but I didnt think to ask him what he was using 20 years ago!

Ben42
06-27-2005, 07:49 AM
How bout a pic of the racquet?

joe sch
06-27-2005, 08:39 AM
I think the custom midsize prince woodie is the best guess so far.
This poster has received lots of response without supplying us with a picture so we are all sorta taking guesses.

Capt. Willie
06-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey Eclecticcity, how about that picture? (Although I'm starting to think we are being duped.) As far as Cash and MacNamara, I'm leaning towards the Golden Ace theory...we all know paint jobs are quite common.