PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Pacific X-Feel [moved]

Agent Orynge
05-21-2011, 12:39 PM
So, I finally stepped out with the Pacifics this morning. More to follow later this afternoon.

Edit: taking longer than I thought to type this up. Gimme a little while longer.

v1nx
05-21-2011, 05:39 PM
So, I finally stepped out with the Pacifics this morning. More to follow later this afternoon.

Anxiously waiting for your review on the X-Feel tour, curious of how easy it is on the arm (RA 56)

Agent Orynge
05-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't think I've ever had board members clamoring for my 'review' of anything, so I'm not really sure what you guys are expecting. I suppose I'll just throw some simple observations out there, and everyone can feel free to ask questions of me afterwards.

I didn't know what to expect going into my hitting session with the X Feel Tour, but I came away very impressed. I tend to shy away from 11 ounce frames, for fear of them being too light, but the X Feel Tour swung very cleanly through the strike zone. I also avoid larger head sizes for the exact opposite reason, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that the X Feel Tour was not whip like at all, nor was it overly ponderous either. Maybe the weight and head size balance each other out, I dunno.

I might also have imagined the lack of mass would equate to a dip in power, but that fear was also unfounded. Stability wasn't hampered by the lighter weight, either. I would not say that the X Feel Tour had a lot of plow through, per se, but power was there nonetheless, and most of it was controllable. I say 'most of it' because the X Feel Tour is so easy to hit with that it's difficult not to overreach your own abilities sometimes. I generally possessed a healthy degree of confidence when swinging out, not the least of which was due to the ample spin generated by the frame. More than ample, I think I should say - this frame was rather beastly as far as spin goes, and I'm rarely impressed by a racquet's spin potential. This could have been because of the string pattern, the string plane, or the flexibility. I'm guessing all three played at least some part.

Probably the most important aspect of any racquet, and the most difficult to quantify, is it's feel. The X Feel Tour had a pleasantly crisp response, but was not jarring or stiff in the slightest. I'm not a fan of overly muted frames either, so I was happy to find that the X Feel Tour provided a solid connection between the ball and the player. Still, I have felt sweeter sweetspots, and there wasn't much of that resounding pop you get from some other frames. I think it's safe to say that the X Feel Tour straddles the two extremes very well, so it should appeal to the widest possible audience.

The X Feel Tour is one of those situations where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. There wasn't one aspect of the racquet that really stood out to me, but there also wasn't an aspect that took something away from it, either. There was enormous synergy between each characteristic, which amounted to an absolutely terrific hitting experience.

diredesire
05-22-2011, 01:09 PM
moved to own thread :)

Agent Orynge
05-22-2011, 01:25 PM
DD - you forgot the obligatory subtitle "or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."

eidolonshinobi
05-22-2011, 01:31 PM
I don't think I've ever had board members clamoring for my 'review' of anything, so I'm not really sure what you guys are expecting. I suppose I'll just throw some simple observations out there, and everyone can feel free to ask questions of me afterwards.

I didn't know what to expect going into my hitting session with the X Feel Tour, but I came away very impressed. I tend to shy away from 11 ounce frames, for fear of them being too light, but the X Feel Tour swung very cleanly through the strike zone. I also avoid larger head sizes for the exact opposite reason, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that the X Feel Tour was not whip like at all, nor was it overly ponderous either. Maybe the weight and head size balance each other out, I dunno.

I might also have imagined the lack of mass would equate to a dip in power, but that fear was also unfounded. I would not say that the X Feel Tour had a lot of plow through, per se, but power was there nonetheless, and most of it was controllable. Stability was never hampered by the lighter weight, either. I generally possessed a healthy degree of confidence when swinging out, not the least of which was due to the ample spin generated by the frame. More than ample, I think I should say - this frame was rather beastly as far as spin goes, and I'm rarely impressed by a racquet's spin potential. This could have been because of the string pattern, the string plane, or the flexibility. I'm guessing all three played at least some part.

Probably the most important aspect of any racquet, and the most difficult to quantify, is it's feel. The X Feel Tour had a pleasantly crisp response, but was not jarring or stiff in the slightest. I'm not a fan of overly muted frames either, so I was happy to find that the X Feel Tour provided a solid connection between the ball and the player. Still, I have felt sweeter sweetspots, and there wasn't much of that resounding pop you get from some other frames. I think it's safe to say that the X Feel Tour straddles the two extremes very well, so it should appeal to the widest possible audience.

The X Feel Tour is one of those situations where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. There wasn't one aspect of the racquet that really stood out to me, but there also wasn't an aspect that took something away from it, either. There was enormous synergy between each characteristic, which amounted to an absolutely terrific hitting experience.

Good stuff AO, it's nice to see other racquet brands represented in this forum.

Agent Orynge
05-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Good stuff AO, it's nice to see other racquet brands represented in this forum.

Have you ever seen Billy Madison? I sometimes imagine overly enthusiastic posters driving off a cliff shouting "Volkl rules! Volkl rules!".

I think Pacific deserves more than just a cursory look by many of the posters here, especially those who like to dabble in the 'tweener range.

eidolonshinobi
05-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Have you ever seen Billy Madison? I sometimes imagine overly enthusiastic posters driving off a cliff shouting "Volkl rules! Volkl rules!".

I think Pacific deserves more than just a cursory look by many of the posters here, especially those who like to dabble in the 'tweener range.

Of course I've seen the movie haha.

I own two PB 10 mids but I won't ever go out of my way to endorse a brand, mainly because they don't pay me to do so.

I'd love to try out Pacific's player racquet lines as well, since their tweener range is apparently really good.

Hewex
05-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I was heading the Pacific/Fischer direction when fate brought me to Dunlop. But, something about those brands intriques me, so I will own one at some point.

caugas
05-23-2011, 04:21 AM
I was heading the Pacific/Fischer direction when fate brought me to Dunlop. But, something about those brands intriques me, so I will own one at some point.

I play with fischers/ pacifics - love em!