PDA

View Full Version : Leather grip under synthetic grip = more solid feel?

richsox
05-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Anyone out there ever tried a leather grip, under a synthetic replacement grip.

I tried a leather grip on my Pure Storm, loved the feel, but it felt to slippery. I did notice, that the leather seemed to give a better, more solid feel even to my pure storm, and now I am wondering if i try leather and synthetic together on my Pure Drive GT's, if that will compensate for some of the hollow feeling you sometimes get with the pure drive GT's?

Any thoughts or shared experiences appreciated.

I do mean full replacement grips, not overgrips

trilix
05-23-2011, 03:36 AM
Anyone out there ever tried a leather grip, under a synthetic replacement grip.

I tried a leather grip on my Pure Storm, loved the feel, but it felt to slippery. I did notice, that the leather seemed to give a better, more solid feel even to my pure storm, and now I am wondering if i try leather and synthetic together on my Pure Drive GT's, if that will compensate for some of the hollow feeling you sometimes get with the pure drive GT's?

Any thoughts or shared experiences appreciated.

I do mean full replacement grips, not overgrips

I think you would have more feel with only the synth grip instead of a synth grip over a leather grip...

Leather dampens shocks less then synth, but it still dampens...

I would suggest an overgrip over the leather.

neverstopplaying
05-23-2011, 04:17 AM
I agree that leather provides a more solid feel, but like above poster, I would simply wrap an overgrip (Yonex Suergrap) over the leather. This will deal with your slippery issue.

Adding a syn replacement grip will increase your grip size considerably and dull the feel of the bevels.

Boricua
05-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Which brand sells good leather grips?

If you are a topspin player, are leather grips better than synthetics or viceversa? (or does not matter one or the other?)

BagelMe
05-23-2011, 07:06 AM
^^
TW sells their own leather and its actually very good. A grip won't affect how much topspin you can create, it just changes the feel. If you like a soft grip, stick with synthetic, if you like a hard grip, go with leather. There is a grip that's in the middle of these two in terms of feel by Wilson, which is something you might want to look into.

Ziggy925
05-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Try some overgrips. I found you can really fine tune the feel of the grip with overgrips. One of my racquets has a standard grip with an overgrip, and the other has no grip and two overgrips. I like the soft overgrip from Wilson. Also, very easy to remove and replace. You could use a cushion overgrip with a tacky overgrip, for example.