PDA

View Full Version : The top signs you're a tennis racquet junkie

JennyS
06-26-2005, 12:45 PM
The top signs you know you're a racquet junkie

1. When a pro player comes on court with a new racquet, you assume it's a paintjob before thinking they actually switched frames
2. You'd pay over $250 for a St. Vincent, Prestige Classic of POG
3. You know what PD+, PS 6.0 85, POG, PC, LM, and TT stand for.
4. You own at least 5 racquets you've never played with
5. You go to yard sales hoping to find someone selling a classic racquet for $5
6. You know the paintjob that every top player uses
7. You plan to or already have taken a trip, preferably a Honeymoon to St. Vincent
8. You spend hours on **** trying to find racquets
9. You own at least 10 racquets
10. You have a lifetime supply of overgrips and lead tape in your house

robbieb
06-26-2005, 01:09 PM
nice ;/ i fhink

ffrpg
06-26-2005, 02:45 PM
haha, all of the above apply to me except for #7.

krnboijunsung
06-26-2005, 03:13 PM
what a thread....lol. I've seen these on every board i've been to. One of those "you know you've played tennis too much when..." threads.

they turn out quite funny

MTChong
06-26-2005, 05:20 PM
That's a pretty nice list you've got there; there was also one in the past about it, if anybody can find it it'd be a good read. I think it went by "NTRP" levels. haha

raftermania
06-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Somebody send that in to Letterman!

tandayu
06-26-2005, 09:27 PM
The top signs you know you're a racquet junkie

1. When a pro player comes on court with a new racquet, you assume it's a paintjob before thinking they actually switched frames
2. You'd pay over $250 for a St. Vincent, Prestige Classic of POG
3. You know what PD+, PS 6.0 85, POG, PC, LM, and TT stand for.
4. You own at least 5 racquets you've never played with
5. You go to yard sales hoping to find someone selling a classic racquet for $5
6. You know the paintjob that every top player uses
7. You plan to or already have taken a trip, preferably a Honeymoon to St. Vincent
8. You spend hours on **** trying to find racquets
9. You own at least 10 racquets
10. You have a lifetime supply of overgrips and lead tape in your house

An you feel very offended & disturbed if anybody post negative thing about old school frames.

Young Pete
06-26-2005, 10:29 PM
this is definitely letterman material! great job especially w/ st. vincents!!!

jaap deboeck
06-27-2005, 04:20 AM
And funnier still is noting how stick junkies are more into it than are the touring pros themselves! That is cause for a smile.

fedex27
06-27-2005, 04:58 AM
sh it i guess i am

mrw
06-27-2005, 08:41 AM
I just returned to the game after 25 years. So far, I have bought 3 Prince racquets and one "new" Wilson Advantage woodie for my office wall. I'm demoing a POG and will probably buy one of those also.This sport is starting to rival skiing in expense :mrgreen:

drifter
06-27-2005, 08:46 AM
11. You often wake up in a pool of sweat after repeated nightmares of missing that easy overhead at the US Open.

ffrpg
06-27-2005, 08:48 AM
meh, might as well add to the list.

12. You can identify other people's racquets from a distance.

wildmoose31
06-27-2005, 11:05 AM
13. You have 10 Racquets in your bag, and none of them are the same

donnyz89
06-27-2005, 12:25 PM
1) When you go to a racquet store, You make the store owners look like idiots with your knowledge.

2) You have a program on your computer that calculates the best specs for a racquet to maximize your potential on court.

3) Instead of giving tennis lessons, you would help players by telling them the adjustments to the racquet they are using.

4) When you are writing a paper, you wish your pen was "head light" so you can write faster.

5) You can compare everything you use in a day with "stiffness, string pattern, balance"

6) Everytime you eat cows, you cry about all the natrual gut strings it could have been instead.

7) You have the date for the release date of the newest racquet.

8) When your wife asks you if you love your POG or her, you hesitate, you are a racquet junkie.

9) If you left your car unlocked, you would leave your kid in the grocery store to goto your car to get your racquet, you are a racquet junkie.

10) If you put an overgrip on everything you put your hand on, you are a racquet junkie.

lobster
06-27-2005, 12:41 PM
LOL donny, especially the making that pen more headlight.

BreakPoint
06-27-2005, 12:51 PM
14. You spend all your free time on the TW message board.

15. You actually think of 10 signs that make you a racquet junkie. ;)

Brent Pederson
06-27-2005, 01:04 PM
At your local tennis shop, they not only know you by your first name, but they have your phone number memorized from putting it in the racquet demo book so many times (true in my case)...

donnyz89
06-27-2005, 02:58 PM
14. You spend all your free time on the TW message board.

15. You actually think of 10 signs that make you a racquet junkie. ;)

its a talent for some of us to be humorous... besides its summer, and 90 degrees outside.

TommyGun
06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
X) When you know every racquet "technology" ever made, and can give a doctoral dissertation on it.

X) You know the town and location of every companies manufacturing plants.

X) You buy a phenomenal racquet and then read an add for the latest offering from another company and start to have buyers remorse.

X) You sleep with your racquet, or at least close by...

X) When your girlfriend suggests maybe adding some equipment to your lovemaking, and you immediately grab for your 90 square with the Unique overgrip...

X) When you have the choice between hanging out with your really cute neighbor drinking a beer or waiting for the new frame to be delivered, and you ask her for a raincheck...

Pushmaster
06-27-2005, 03:44 PM
X) When you know every racquet "technology" ever made, and can give a doctoral dissertation on it.

X) You know the town and location of every companies manufacturing plants.

X) You buy a phenomenal racquet and then read an add for the latest offering from another company and start to have buyers remorse.

X) You sleep with your racquet, or at least close by...

X) When your girlfriend suggests maybe adding some equipment to your lovemaking, and you immediately grab for your 90 square with the Unique overgrip...

X) When you have the choice between hanging out with your really cute neighbor drinking a beer or waiting for the new frame to be delivered, and you ask her for a raincheck...
That's not a "racquet junkie", that's a nutcase.

Ronaldo
06-27-2005, 04:02 PM
When you know the weight of all your racquets, overgrips, replacement grips, leather grips, strings, and dampeners in grams. When your triple beam is used for tennis equipment. When you try to add CAP grommets to a Pro Staff

Tenny
06-27-2005, 05:43 PM
16) A racquet junkie can identify other people's racquets from 10 courts away (Can tell nTour from n6.1 from 1 mile away).
17) A racquet junkie is easily intimidated by whoever with smaller head sized racquets (PS6.0, POG MP, PC600)
18) A real RJ doesn't have 10 different racquets. (S)he has at least 3-4 of 10 different racquets.
19) A racquet junkie worries about aging of racquets made of graphite.

^^

scez
06-27-2005, 05:52 PM
20) A racquet junkie thinks a overgrip is appropriate protection :p

ikon
06-27-2005, 07:54 PM
i know nothing but the names... lol

Lakoste
06-27-2005, 08:04 PM
At your local tennis shop, they not only know you by your first name, but they have your phone number memorized from putting it in the racquet demo book so many times (true in my case)...

thats me word for word! :D

Kaptain Karl
06-27-2005, 09:02 PM
13. You have 10 Racquets in your bag, and none of them are the sameThey have doctors for your condition, you know! (I'd say half that many unmatched racquets would be a good sign.)

15. You actually think of 10 signs that make you a racquet junkie.Good one!

4) When you are writing a paper, you wish your pen was "head light" so you can write faster.Okay....

8) When your wife asks you if you love your POG or her, you hesitate, you are a racquet junkie.

9) If you left your car unlocked, you would leave your kid in the grocery store to goto your car to get your racquet, you are a racquet junkie.These were really *sick*.

6) Everytime you eat cows, you cry about all the natrual gut strings it could have been instead.This was ... stupid.

At your local tennis shop, they not only know you by your first name, but they have your phone number memorized from putting it in the racquet demo book so many times (true in my case)...Okay, THAT's a really good sign....

- KK

Noelle
06-27-2005, 09:48 PM
you know you're a racquet junkie when you wake up in a cold sweat after dreaming you cracked your precious St. Vincent. Then you go back to sleep because you know you have at least two more anyway.

FREDDY
06-27-2005, 10:02 PM
NOPE. im not a racket junkie.

textbook strokes
06-30-2005, 08:51 AM
You learned english just because you needed to be in this board.

AngeloDS
06-30-2005, 09:27 AM
21) When You Gloat About The Size Of Your "Head" And How It Affects Your Game
22) When You Act Like You Have The Racquet Because Of Your Knowledge... But Do Not Posess It :(
23) When You Post The Same Racquet From Different Angles On Here

Richard Pur
07-01-2005, 03:42 AM
24) You notice someone in a tennis store who is confused or just aimlessly looking at various racquets and you start offering him advise on or spouting off the specs on the racquets and which ones are good for S & V or baseline.

The guy must have thought I was nutty!

And I have put an overgrip on a mallet that I was using to put in a wood floor.

Let's all just call it a "passion" instead of being a tennis junkie.

theace21
07-01-2005, 07:23 AM
25. You know about new rackets releases before your local pro shop...

timmyboy
07-01-2005, 08:23 AM
24) You notice someone in a tennis store who is confused or just aimlessly looking at various racquets and you start offering him advise on or spouting off the specs on the racquets and which ones are good for S & V or baseline.

The guy must have thought I was nutty!

And I have put an overgrip on a mallet that I was using to put in a wood floor.

Let's all just call it a "passion" instead of being a tennis junkie.
if you overgrip a mallet, your a junkie and a dumbass. and how the heck is this a passion?

Richard Pur
07-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Correction: Overgrip the wooden handle of a mallet. Swinging a mallet with a worn wooden handle hundreds or even thousands of times can be hard on the hand and it was done more out of necessity. Nonetheless, tennis did spill over into a part of my life (home improvement) that I didn't foresee. If you interpreted my statement as putting the overgrip on the head of the mallet, well that's just.......

timmyboy
07-01-2005, 09:17 AM
no, i meant what you meant. but that's still really weird. it reminds me of cults...

BreakPoint
07-01-2005, 10:19 AM
25. You know about new rackets releases before your local pro shop...

That's a good one!! And so true. :o

Kevin T
07-01-2005, 10:28 AM
At least one conversation with your wife per week involves the phrase:
"Is that another tennis racket you've ordered!!!????".

tedmeister
07-09-2005, 01:01 AM
26. You bring your balance board and weighing scale when you buy your sticks coz you just don't trust the manufacturer's specs written on the cardboard thing.

timmyboy
07-09-2005, 04:09 AM
X. When you use a dictionary, you try to "string it lower" for faster and more powerful dictionary usage.

ptuananh
07-09-2005, 12:17 PM
xx. Hang racquets every where and touch them at least once a day.
xx. When hitting with a racquet, you are thinking about how the feel should be with another model (for example, hitting with Prestige and think about PS Tour).

xmoustc
07-14-2005, 07:51 AM
lol you guys are so humorous :)

07-14-2005, 09:33 AM
when you apply a coat or two of Meguiar's, Simoniz or Turtle Wax to your frames so they 'shine real nice'.

....is that so wrong?

DupaxKid
07-14-2005, 09:35 AM
you keep up with TW reviews

Hewitt rulez
07-14-2005, 09:56 AM
meh, might as well add to the list.

12. You can identify other people's racquets from a distance.

That would make me one. When we went to my state tournament I was naming all the top players there racquets. Most of them were Head. the #1 guy had a Intelligence Prestige.

Im more of an overall Tennis junkie. I know a lot of racquets, shoes, strings, and just a lot of tennis stuff. My brother once called me a "tennis head".I guess that makes me a junkie.

TennsDog
07-14-2005, 10:05 AM
I guess I am a junkie. In addition to being able to relate to pretty much all of the above, I was at a sporting goods store yesterday, and I was pointing out why all of their rackets were crap (pre-strung, huge heads, huge beams, they can afford to drop the price $100 and still turn a profit, and also the fact that I had never heard of several of them, and I have heard of most decent rackets...pretty much everything on TW).

gonzalocatalino
07-14-2005, 12:14 PM
You learned english just because you needed to be in this board.

Im in trouble...I learn english IN this board.

golden chicken
07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
...when you start customizing your 5 year-old student's 21" racket