PDA

View Full Version : Babolats make the game easier....

BagelMe
05-23-2011, 06:25 AM
I'm in my last year of highschool and I've been playing 4 years on my varsity team as 1st singles. One thing that I have noticed throughout my highschool tennis career is that Babolats are EXTREMELY popular; I recall one team where almost all the players had babolats. I thought to myself...why?

Up to now I've always been a Wilson and Head fan. My father started me off when I was a kid with a Wilson and my coach convinced me to switch to HEAD.

Anyway, all my opponents that I've faced seemed to pull off some crazy spin shots once in a while and it always gets me wondering if that was due to their racket. Recently, I tried the PDR GT+ and all I have to say is "wow!". I've really been missing out this whole time because my serves gained much more pace, volleys and over heads were deadly and groundstrokes and returns felt great. There is some unexplainable dumbfounding feeling of getting a winner off a ball that you barely reach in a corner by just sticking your Babolat in front of it. These Babolats provide a HUGE margin for error and do a lot of work for you, unlike my YT Prestige MP, and I feel like I've been handicapped this whole time; think of all those close matches that I could have won this season!

The one thing I still need to work on though is getting the feel of my one handed backhand. Its still a little erratic with this racket, but I'll eventually get it down. Another downside with this racket is that it is a string EATER. Usually a full poly job will last me 2 weeks, but with this racket I'm breaking them in 1!

My advice to all of you aspiring juniors is to try and pick up one of these rackets. I know these rackets are sometimes "looked down upon", especially to some of the die hard "player's sticks" fans, but hey I'll take whatever advantage I can get. I hope this inspires someone out there to go and try one if you haven't already. Give some serious time to get used to and appreciate the special "babolat feel".

Also, if you have a similar story, please share it!

Lefty78
05-23-2011, 06:36 AM
^^^ Regarding you backhand, very few 1-handers benefit from extended length racquets. In fact, many struggle with the added length.

If you really want to switch to Babolat, I strongly suggest you at least give the standard PDR GT (not the +) a try.

Rorsach
05-23-2011, 06:37 AM
I had that with the PDR and i switched to them. Loved the honeymoon period.

And i had that when i switched to a couple of Wilsons after the Babs. Hit some great shots and loved those sticks.

Then i had the same thing with my Fischers, and again, i'm loving the honeymoon period.

I'll probably have the same thing with my next racquets, whatever they will be.

Or in short: the racquet doesn't matter, it's the player.

BagelMe
05-23-2011, 06:47 AM
^^^ Regarding you backhand, very few 1-handers benefit from extended length racquets. In fact, many struggle with the added length.

If you really want to switch to Babolat, I strongly suggest you at least give the standard PDR GT (not the +) a try.

Really? I loved my 1hbh with the nTour (old henin racket). 27.25 in racket of pure awesomeness. I don't think its the extra length that's hindering my bh, but instead the extreme stiffness.

I definitely will give the PDR GT a try once I can get my hands on one. :)

BagelMe
05-23-2011, 06:52 AM
I had that with the PDR and i switched to them. Loved the honeymoon period.

And i had that when i switched to a couple of Wilsons after the Babs. Hit some great shots and loved those sticks.

Then i had the same thing with my Fischers, and again, i'm loving the honeymoon period.

I'll probably have the same thing with my next racquets, whatever they will be.

Or in short: the racquet doesn't matter, it's the player.

Well, I'm 2 weeks into this racket and I still love it....
Lately, my game seems like it has not been improving, or peaked, but this racket has definitely taken my game to a higher level. Part of this may be mental because I have a renewed confidence to take risky shots with this racket.

Rorsach
05-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Part of this may be mental because I have a renewed confidence to take risky shots with this racket.

Bingo.

I love getting new sticks largely for this reason. If only i could change wives that easily.

;)

TimothyO
05-23-2011, 07:55 AM
I recently switched to the PSLGT and am amazed at the spin potential from such a dense pattern. Not as comfy as my PB10 Mid but comfy enough, razor sharp precision, and very low power which I like.

There have been several threads on whether or not various technologies actually do anything. I think most are marginal at best and some I dislike (eg the Prince ports). But two that I think actually work are the Volkl sensor tour handle and the Babolat woofer.

fuzz nation
05-23-2011, 09:38 AM
The brand of racquet really doesn't matter. Once anyone finds that "good fit" with a particular frame, life can get wonderful on the courts.

Check back in the middle of the summer or whenever the honeymoon period is in the rear view mirror and let us know how it's progressing for you.

Power Player
05-23-2011, 09:53 AM
I do think they make the game easier, but if your stroke develops more and gets longer, you may find yourself missing the laser accuracy of the Prestige. I played with the APDC for a while and it did make the game easier, but actually did not from every aspect. I had a lot of trouble hitting accurate lobs, drop shots and placing shots on the run. I had to use full poly at real high tensions because the low tensions were uncontrollable. So there can be a price to pay there.

That is why I think if you can hit hard with a modern player's stick, you will always have an advantage.

Praetorian
05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
hehe... I personally love players who play with Babolat (PD series). The majority of them try to hit the **** out of ball, and their control isn't that great. I personally don't have to swing as hard, and I use the pace and just run them ragged from side to side - but hey, that's the game of a typical club level Babolat user and it suits people just fine (from what I've seen, YMMV)

eliza
05-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Glad you saw the light. Let people look down on them, while you collect victories......

Dekline
05-23-2011, 11:24 AM
RPM Blast and babolat shoes should get that natural but pesky 1 handed backhand squared away.

If everyone is playing with babolat racquets....who is looking down on them?

I wouldnt mind having a couple pure drives or aeropro drives.

Fed Kennedy
05-23-2011, 02:40 PM
I think it is easier to be consistent with them (drive series), but the balls seems a little fluffier with less drive through the court. The storm series has a lot more control.

BagelMe
05-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I think it is easier to be consistent with them (drive series), but the balls seems a little fluffier with less drive through the court. The storm series has a lot more control.

I really want to try out the Pure storm GT. I remember using a Pure Storm Team (non GT) before and it was awesome. I wonder how the new PSGT compares to the PDR GT...

Cup8489
05-23-2011, 02:48 PM
OP, you should give the HEAD Extreme series a try, a good frame from head that plays fairly similar to the Pure Drive, and is light enough for easy customizing, and you should give the Wilson BLX Pro Open a shot as well.

Me, i'll stick with my leaded Radical MP's.

Cup8489
05-23-2011, 02:49 PM
I really want to try out the Pure storm GT. I remember using a Pure Storm Team (non GT) before and it was awesome. I wonder how the new PSGT compares to the PDR GT...

significantly less power, somewhere around the power level of a radical MP, but with slightly more stiffness and spin..

a good customizing platform, for sure. A fun hit, as well.

big bang
05-23-2011, 02:51 PM
I get way more power with a classic players frame, I can swing as hard as I want with lots of control. I dont get that control from the babs.. Wanted to like them because Im getting older, but I cant use any of them.

got spin?
05-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Its all mental, Im sure if you played an awful team that used babolat youd never want to switch to babolat. If you played with one of rafas so called "Aero Pro Drive GTs" (total BS!) Youd go through a period of thinking you can do anything. Its the honeymoon stage. its all mental.

BagelMe
05-23-2011, 02:53 PM
I get way more power with a classic players frame, I can swing as hard as I want with lots of control. I dont get that control from the babs.. Wanted to like them because Im getting older, but I cant use any of them.

I know what you're saying. I can hit corners with huge forehands and backhands with my Prestige MP, but babolats give so much free power.....its addicting and almost unfair.

Satch
05-23-2011, 02:58 PM
I know what you're saying. I can hit corners with huge forehands and backhands with my Prestige MP, but babolats give so much free power.....its addicting and almost unfair.

try some 110sqin then or 120... it's even more easier, just touch the ball and it flies

BagelMe
05-23-2011, 02:59 PM
try some 110sqin then or 120... it's even more easier, just touch the ball and it flies

haha...I'm not willing to go that far!

Backhanded Compliment
05-23-2011, 03:09 PM
When I came back to the sport 3 years ago I felt I needed to adapt to a more modern game. I switched to a SW forehand and bought a PDR Cortex. I loved the crispness and accuracy... great for my big serve too. But ultimately Im a power/touch player and the racket was forcing me to throttle back and or string at 65 lbs (poly syn gut hybrid). I developed tennis elbow and was having trouble tactically. I switched to the Head Prestige MP this January. after some adjustment I now have greater power and accuracy on; volleys, approach shots, backhands (topspins and slice and my down the line forehand winner has reappeared). Sometimes I hit with a lot of topspin, sometimes not... Im always mixing it up now and having the feel for touch shots means I can S&V again.

In other words, if you have a variety in your game and or massive power derived from your form (or want to develop it) the babs are not so good. But if you are a baseline topspinner with a 2handed BH and rarely volley (ie a grinder) it is probably a good idea to check one out.

Basically what Im saying is by decreasing my margin for error I actually became much better but the Babs were great for getting me back into the game and not feeling like a chump. Id hit great shots but often lose the matches with the babs, but that's just because Im not a thoroughly modern player.

martini1
05-23-2011, 08:04 PM

For me I can't get a hard, fast ball from such light OS rackets. They are only good for pushing balls back.:)

Stewy30
06-06-2011, 09:16 AM
I've tried a lot of other racquets to gain what people with players stick rave about (Accuracy, feel, control, etc), and no matter how good the racquet feels, I go back to my PD+ with lead 7 inches from the buttcap. It may not feel as buttery with some volleys and touch shots and such (even though the end result is the same), but my serves are fast, the spin potential in the serve is wicked, my groundstrokes are more consistent and powerful, the accuracy is equal, and the racquet has a lot of tolerance to off balance shots or strange bounces.

It may just be because this racquet is my first serious racquet that I progressed in, or the actual racquet itself, I am not sure. Either way I am sticking with it till the bitter end.

Facepalm
06-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Dude moved from a player's frame to a tweener. Shots are going to feel more forgiving with the bigger sweet spot and more power, but that's true of any brand's tweener in comparison to a player frame. That's great as long as you don't start to pick up bad habits with the extra latitude.

pyrokid
06-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Please try the pure storm series. IMO, the pure storm tour gt has the power of the pure drive roddick with a tad less spin and tons more comfort and control. You can his the crap out of the ball with it, and then come in and do whatever with a volley because it's got tanklike stability.

HurricaneDominic
06-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Another downside with this racket is that it is a string EATER. Usually a full poly job will last me 2 weeks, but with this racket I'm breaking them in 1!

Exactly why I use durable string otherwise it becomes way too expensive.

westpac690
06-06-2011, 03:57 PM
I disagree with the notion an extended racquet hinders a 1hbh. I use the PDR+GT and I find it to enhance by backhand. It makes low balls a bit easier to get to, and I also feel it helps immensely when trying to handle a high backhand.
Since coming back to the sport after 10 plus years out of tennis I tried a number of racquets and set ups. I chose the PDR+GT. It has allowed me to shorten my backswing, sit on the baseline, take the ball on the rise and dictate play. Topspin, flat, slice, you name it.
A lot of people talk about feel with a racquet and control. I find it has a "crisp" feel to it, that gets the ball where I want it, and in a hurry. Not mushy on contact, nor completely dead.
Give me an old school players racquet, yeah, I have to lengthen my backswing and can't sit on the baseline as much.
To each his own, but I prefer allowing the power come from the racquet so I can concentrate more on my accuracy. I let the other guy tire himself out running around, and trying to match the depth I can get with my racquet

quest01
06-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Why do you think Nadal uses a Babolat, makes sense doesn't it.

tlm
06-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I used to think that babs helped a lot, but they are to hard to control+to hard on the arm.

Fuji
06-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Honestly, I think I'd be using a Bab right now if my arm could handle them! It's a lot of fun to play with them, but when I tried playing with a PD for a few months, my arm just couldn't take the heat. (Literally, my arm would sometimes feel heated up after using them.) I can't use high stiffness sticks, and the Babs are just that!

They are great sticks that a lot of players would benefit from using if you can handle them! As for me, I'll stick to my classic players rackets, that are soft and low powered! :)

-Fuji

TheBoom
06-06-2011, 05:33 PM
they are fun for a quick hit but when it comes down to it i play much better with my dunlops and more recently the exo3 tour and at the end of the day results are what count