PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Yonex buttcap?

JackB1
05-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Anyone know of another buttcap that will fit on a Yonex VCore?
I really dislike the non-flared Yonex buttcap and would like to exchange it with another that will fit. I tried adding some tape under the grip to build up the existing buttcap, but that just added to much unwanted weight.

Steve F.
05-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Hey Jack -

I have a pair of YY rdis 100s with Volkl buttcaps on them that add flare, and they fit perfectly. I'd imagine any other maker's buttcaps would fit however.

My YY's are L3 and the Volkl buttcaps are L3 as well.

fwiw, I'm taking the Volkl buttcaps off because I prefer the YY buttcap.

Feel free to email me thru my username at the left if you feel like trading and your Yonex is an L3 (or L4). I have two Volkl soft buttcaps available. ;)

Power Player
05-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Jack are you already past the speeds or what is up with the avatar? I know nothing about yonex sticks, but I did get in the "power cap" by unique sports. You can order 2 for under 10 bucks including shipping from their site. I can not play for a little while, but the cap is probably worth trying out first. It is silicone and tightly slides on over your base grip (adds no weight). You simply wrap your overgrip over it and it won't go anywhere. Try it out for an inexpensive fix.. definitely adds flare and you will not have to mod your racquet.

JackB1
05-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Jack are you already past the speeds or what is up with the avatar? I know nothing about yonex sticks, but I did get in the "power cap" by unique sports. You can order 2 for under 10 bucks including shipping from their site. I can not play for a little while, but the cap is probably worth trying out first. It is silicone and tightly slides on over your base grip (adds no weight). You simply wrap your overgrip over it and it won't go anywhere. Try it out for an inexpensive fix.. definitely adds flare and you will not have to mod your racquet.

Yes, I liked the Speed, but the VCore 98 fits me better. I am sticking with basically the same specs, so it was was easy to adjust.

About the Unique buttcaps, how does it not add any weight? It must weigh "something" :)

Power Player
05-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Barely weighs anything..just thin silicone with flare at the end of it. I'm guessing 2 grams..maybe.

JackB1
05-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Barely weighs anything..just thin silicone with flare at the end of it. I'm guessing 2 grams..maybe.

Cool. I'll try it out.

That Yonex buttcap is horrible!

JackB1
05-24-2011, 07:26 AM
So I ended up finding some old Wilson buttcaps at my local tennis shop and I just removed the Yonex buttcap and replaced it with the more flared Wilson one's and now my VCore's are perfect!

It's just a shame than the very first thing you have to do when you get a Yonex is remove that crappy grip and buttcap.