PDA

View Full Version : HEAT and rackets

Boricua
05-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Does leaving rackets inside a cars strunk affect them due to the heat they are exposed to?

Consider that some bags are insulated:) and others not.:(

flashfire276
05-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Not at all. I'm 100% sure that heat won't really effect the racquet at all. If you have gut strings, that's the only thing that would change.
If you have wooden racquets, that's a different story. I know that racquets are usually affected to moisture or water exposure, but not about heat.
I keep my racquets in a car too. Don't worry, nothing happens.

larry10s
05-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Not at all. I'm 100% sure that heat won't really effect the racquet at all. If you have gut strings, that's the only thing that would change.
If you have wooden racquets, that's a different story. I know that racquets are usually affected to moisture or water exposure, but not about heat.
I keep my racquets in a car too. Don't worry, nothing happens.

since you did not provide references
my opinion is that you are completely wrong
the well over 100 degrees it must get in a car trunk im 100% sure would damage a racquet

flashfire276
05-23-2011, 08:11 AM
since you did not provide references
my opinion is that you are completely wrong
the well over 100 degrees it must get in a car trunk im 100% sure would damage a racquet

Since you did not provide references, I'm assuming you're wrong too.
Have you done this before? I do this ALL the time! So assuming references, I'm a first hand reference. I live in So Cal, where car heat can easily hit over 100 degrees. And my car isn't even well ventilated. Keep my windows rolled up.
How is heat going to damage a racquet?? Like really, you know how tough graphite fibers are?? It's not like it's going to melt the fibers away. Graphite fibers are already heated when racquets are made under melting temperatures. Graphite is pretty much stone. Have you ever seen rocks melting in the desert? And there's plenty of people that play tennis outside at extremely high temperatures. Do their racquets suddenly die on them? Nope!
On top of me, plenty of other people store their racquets in their cars. All my coaches do this, along with Mikeler right here on the TT Boards. So a couple more references?
Not even tension loss occurs in high heat.
So what's your source?

flashfire276
05-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Couple more comments from other guys.

I leave mine in my trunk year round in Florida. It gets pretty hot here in the summer and I've never had a problem.

My racquets stay in my trunk year round too and I'm in the Rocky Mountains. We see desert like heat in the summers and frigid temperatures in the winters. I've never had a damaged racquet because of the temperatures. And to be honest, i don't notice my strings being affected either. Maybe I break them often enough to not worry about. Shrug.

ollinger
05-23-2011, 08:48 AM
If you leave them in the car, the trunk is generally the best place. On a sunny day, the parked car's interior will be 10-20 degrees hotter than the trunk (if windows are left closed) due to the interior's greenhouse effect.

eidolonshinobi
05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Since you did not provide references, I'm assuming you're wrong too.
Have you done this before? I do this ALL the time! So assuming references, I'm a first hand reference. I live in So Cal, where car heat can easily hit over 100 degrees. And my car isn't even well ventilated. Keep my windows rolled up.
How is heat going to damage a racquet?? Like really, you know how tough graphite fibers are?? It's not like it's going to melt the fibers away. Graphite fibers are already heated when racquets are made under melting temperatures. Graphite is pretty much stone. Have you ever seen rocks melting in the desert? And there's plenty of people that play tennis outside at extremely high temperatures. Do their racquets suddenly die on them? Nope!
On top of me, plenty of other people store their racquets in their cars. All my coaches do this, along with Mikeler right here on the TT Boards. So a couple more references?
Not even tension loss occurs in high heat.
So what's your source?

I agree, I also live in So Cal and during the summer when I'm just always outside I leave my racquets in the car and nothing happens. I have two in the thermal insulated pocket and another two in just regular pockets.

Power Player
05-23-2011, 08:57 AM
I can't see how it would not affect the strings at a certain point. I personally would not do it.

mctennis
05-23-2011, 09:05 AM
I think heat would affect the strings as well. Especially anything plastic ( poly, etc..) and especially gut too. The racquets perhaps not, I'm not sure I would think even doing it over and over it may. I, for one, do not leave my equipment in the car for any length of time. I pay too much for my equipment and strings for them to break or weaken prematurely. Just my thoughts. I just hope my opponent leaves his racquets in his car all summer long and winter too. Maybe it will give me an advantage.

mikeler
05-23-2011, 09:08 AM
I keep mine in the trunk, not in the car cabin. It does seem like the greater effect would be on the strings, not on the racket but I have no data to support that assertion. I usually only play with a certain racket for a few years so I'm not worried about long term effects.

flashfire276
05-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I can't see how it would not affect the strings at a certain point. I personally would not do it.

It would certainly affect gut strings. In my experience, heat doesn't really affect my polys or synthetics. At least I can't really feel a difference.

retlod
05-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Consider that some bags are insulated:) and others not.:(

You mean that shiny foil stuff? Worthless. At any rate, I doubt anything would happen to a frame unless the heat caused a string to snap and the uneven tension warped it.