PDA

View Full Version : Grip Advice help!

MonkeyTennis
05-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Hey guys, I just got a Pure Storm Tour GT online, and at that time they only had 4 5/8, the other sizes sold out. Any advice? i measured my hand, and it turns out i'm about 4 3/8, but, in YOUR opinions, is it still acceptable for 5/8?

or should I call to change the order for the Tour GT Plus which has 3/8?(Still same price)

Fuji
05-23-2011, 06:13 PM
That's a pretty big gap in grip sizes tbh. It's easier to build up a grip, then it is to shrink one.

The most you should probably play up with is about 1 size. 2 sizes is a pretty big difference, especially when hitting ground strokes.

I would suggest getting the stick in your actual size as to avoid any arm problems that accompany playing with incorrect grip sizes. :)

-Fuji

Rusty10201
05-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I agree with Fuji up there, I could see you somehow dealing with a 4 1/2 maybe, but 4 5/8 is quite a difference. I suggest sticking with your same size, that way you don't have to deal with a giant grip, and in my personal experience changing from thin grips to thick grips or vice-versa can change your swing in a very minor way (at least for me anyways).

Best of Luck.

MonkeyTennis
05-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys. I contacted the online dealer website, and since the main order factory is shut down temporarily in the eastern US due to severe weather, they said they would contact me back. I left my info with the receptionist. Thanks for the advice guys.

nadalex
05-23-2011, 06:22 PM
if you cant fix anything just go for the 5/8 and play with a single overgrip over the bare handle

MonkeyTennis
05-23-2011, 06:27 PM
if you cant fix anything just go for the 5/8 and play with a single overgrip over the bare handle

My friend recommended that, but I have a few questions.

1. How much size will be reduced by removing the main grip and just putting on an overgrip?
2. Won't the overgrip be looser or smaller, leaving the buttcap flaring out?

ALSO, they said it was already shipped, they can't do anything about it anymore..I guess I can try a 4 5/8, then grow into it, making minor adjustments.

Fuji
05-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Your not able to return it for store/site credit, even if unused?

Depending on the pallet if there is one, it might be able to be professionally changed at a pro shop. As for the grip reduction, it should be about 1 full size with no base grip and just an overgrip. Although this presents problems in itself as for less shock absorption, and as you already thought of the butt cap flaring out more then you may like.

It's all personal preference though when it comes to things like this. A good friend of mine plays with just 2 tourna grips on a bare handle and loves it!

-Fuji

MonkeyTennis
05-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, I don't think I will return it, but I will check out the 5/8 gripsize.

EDIT: You know what? I just used the racquet grip measuring method, I can't even fit my index finger inside, and I can't imagine just a 1/2 would help..maybe 5/8 is just right for me..

I'm 14, 5'8, a bit bigger hands.

LeeD
05-23-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm a skinny 5'11" with average hands and always use a 5/8 with an overgrip.
Anything smaller, I need a heavier racket and a faster swing speed, and volleys STILL twist in my hands.

MonkeyTennis
05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I guess I can just get some getting used to. Thanks LeeD for the opinion!

Fuji
05-23-2011, 08:35 PM
If it fits and is comfortable then I don't see a problem! My hands measure 4 1/2 exactly, but I can use up to 5/8 without toooo much problem. If it works for you, then great! If not there are always other methods to consider.

Btw I'm 17 and slim with averaged sized hands as well.

-Fuji

LeeD
05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Back in the days of yore, like 1977, I met a little short guy from some college back east, MikeCahill, who had loopy long strokes on both wings. I got to string the WilsonTeam rackets of his, RaulRameriz, and DickStockton, and all 3 used 3/4 medium WilsonKramers. Mike could not have been taller than 5'9", or at least much shorter than me when I was standing on the stringing carpet.

prjacobs
05-23-2011, 08:41 PM

Of course, this may kill your hand :) . As a professional musician, I can't play without some cushioning.