PDA

View Full Version : Aero Storm GT Review

TheOneHander
05-24-2011, 04:55 PM
As I enjoy writing reviews, I figured it would be fitting to write one about the stick that I've switched to recently: the Aero Storm GT. I had a long demo period and this racquet came out on top, followed closely by the BLX Blade 98. So, without further ado, is the review!

Forehands:

My forehand is not my better shot by any means. As background, I like to mix in heavy spin with my normal shot, which has enough topspin to add margin and kick off the court. I do tend to hit through it more often than not, though. This racquet adapts easily to the varying levels of spin I hit. The string pattern has enough spacing to bite into the ball, but it still offers nice control. Now, the ASGT is by no means a pure control stick-there is some pop, which I find useful in defensive positions. My favorite forehand to hit with this racquet is a crosscourt pass. The ball looks like it's going to sail out, but dips in at the last second. Running forehands are great as well, because I can hit out without fear of errors. It's a great forehand frame!

Backhands:

As you may have guessed, my backhand is my main weapon. I hit two hands on that wing, and I like to use it to control the point. I find that this racquet allows great control on backhands-it seems like I can't miss with this frame. However, it does supply a bit of additional pop, which is useful when going for a winner or trying to set up a short ball. The spin potential is very high, which is useful for passing shots. It's manoevurable enough for me to get around to flick a backhand when I'm stretched out wide. I also find plenty of control and feel on backhand lobs.

Edit: I would like to add one detail. If I do not properly load on a backhand when I want to hit it flatter, the ball will go out. The extra pop of this racquet means that I have to focus on my technique if I want to hit out. However, if I hit it right, the ball comes in with a lot of pace.

Slice:

Like topspin groundstrokes, this racquet offers plenty of spin on slices. Backhand slices can be floated deep, or they can be sent as low skidders. Forehands are much the same, but I notice that I can use my forehand slice a lot better when I'm pushed into a defensive position because the ball has much more bite. This racquet also offers nice feel and touch on angled slices or drop shots.

Edit: I'd like to make one more addition: this racquet allows me to have very good directional control as well as depth control over slices. Floaters and skidders alike can be sent to the baseline, and I find that slicing crosscourt during a rally is much easier with this frame. The racquet really bites into the ball, giving slices a lot of spin, so I can focus on placement instead.

Volleys:

The light weight of this racquet makes it a willing partner up at net. While it is in the sub-11.5 ounce range, it has the stability of a much heavier racquet. This makes volleys in defensive positions much easier to execute. This solidity also makes offensive volleys sting a bit more, and there is lots of feel to be found. Touch volleys are similar to my RDX 500 in the respect that there's a very noticeable pocketing feel, which allows for great touch. It also makes hitting volleys fun!

Serves:

I was really impressed when I served with this racquet. It offered good placement as well as lots of bite on serves hit with topspin or slice. I was also able to move the ball around the box very well. I did find some extra pop on second serves, which was a great benefit. However, it was still very controllable and nowhere near being excessive. Overall, it's a solid serving stick.

Serve returns:

Like volleys, serve returns are very solid. I find it to be very stable, and when that is combined with a low static weight, you have a very fast, but rock solid return racquet. It's easy enough to get into position and block a return, or take a full rip at the ball. I could even hit drop shot winners off the serve!

Overall, the Aero Storm GT is the perfect racquet for me. If I had to describe it in one sentence, I'd say it has the stability of a heavier frame while still feeling fast. I hope you enjoyed the review, and happy hitting!

flashfire276
05-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Great review! Don't you agree that the stiffness gives it a more solid kind of feel?

ptr
05-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Good review. But could you do comparison with other? APD GT (more stiff), Pure Storm GT(less stiff).

snoflewis
05-25-2011, 03:28 AM
what was your previous racket before the aero storms?

Torres
05-25-2011, 03:47 AM
In theory, shouldn't this be the most popular/best racquet within Babolat range for your average 4.0 type player - 98/18x20/c320g etc.

And yet everyone buys the AeroPro, PureDrive and PureStorm.

I guess that's the power of marketing.

MarinaHighTennis
05-25-2011, 05:13 AM
I do like the Aero Storm best, but unfortunately, lol i have the AeroPro gt. which i really liked too. I just think the Aero storm is better but if i play good with the aero pro then why switch now when i can do that later?

flashfire276
05-25-2011, 07:50 AM
In theory, shouldn't this be the most popular/best racquet within Babolat range for your average 4.0 type player - 98/18x20/c320g etc.

It should be! But then again... Babolat made the colorway exactly like the APD, making it just a shadow of Nadal's racquet.
I pictured the Aero Storm GT to look like the new APD Roland Garros. If it was like that, this thing would sell like crazy.

gramdacious
05-25-2011, 08:01 AM
thanks for the great review, I was gonna demo this racquet today even before I saw your review. I did just hit with the Aero Storm Tour GT and that was a solid frame as well. Thinner beam, almost like a one-handed backhand version of the APDGT, good power, superb control and easy access to spin or slices. I came away impressed and I am Prestige pro guy myself.

TheOneHander
05-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Great review! Don't you agree that the stiffness gives it a more solid kind of feel?

You know, it's subtle, but I agree. The stiffness isn't jarringly harsh, but it doesn't feel noodly. Good insight!

Good review. But could you do comparison with other? APD GT (more stiff), Pure Storm GT(less stiff).

The APDGT is a fun racquet. It's much more powerful, and spin and pace come effortlessly. However, it virbates a little bit more (which isn't much), and it lacks the solidity that the ASGT gives me. Both have about the same level of spin potential, in my opinion. However, the ASGT is much more control oriented, an attribute which I noticed especially on serve. Placement is much better with the ASGT. That being said, I love the APDGT-it's simply too powerful.

I haven't hit with the Pure Storm GT, but if you have any other comparisons, let me know!

what was your previous racket before the aero storms?

I hit with the RDS 003 with 2 grams of weight at 3 and 9 and a total of two more grams at 12, 10, and 2 for a total of 4 extra.

Hominator
05-25-2011, 12:16 PM
You know, it's subtle, but I agree. The stiffness isn't jarringly harsh, but it doesn't feel noodly. Good insight!

The APDGT is a fun racquet. It's much more powerful, and spin and pace come effortlessly. However, it virbates a little bit more (which isn't much), and it lacks the solidity that the ASGT gives me. Both have about the same level of spin potential, in my opinion. However, the ASGT is much more control oriented, an attribute which I noticed especially on serve. Placement is much better with the ASGT. That being said, I love the APDGT-it's simply too powerful.

I haven't hit with the Pure Storm GT, but if you have any other comparisons, let me know!

I hit with the RDS 003 with 2 grams of weight at 3 and 9 and a total of two more grams at 12, 10, and 2 for a total of 4 extra.

...to add to this, I also think that the Aero Storm GT does not feel "hollow," unlike the APDGT, IMO.

snoflewis
05-25-2011, 12:21 PM

how is the stability of the ASGT compared to the rds003. I'm assuming it's more stable, but is it night and day? i found the rds003 to be a good racket as well, but severely lacking in stability.

TheOneHander
05-25-2011, 12:35 PM
...to add to this, I also think that the Aero Storm GT does not feel "hollow," unlike the APDGT, IMO.

I would agree with this. The's just the tiniest of hollow feels in the APDGT.

how is the stability of the ASGT compared to the rds003. I'm assuming it's more stable, but is it night and day? i found the rds003 to be a good racket as well, but severely lacking in stability.

It is night and day for sure. The ASGT is much, much more solid.

snoflewis
05-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Should be an interesting demo. I'll probably end up going with the tour because of the extra mass but I'm looking forward to my next hitting sessjkn on Friday.

Hominator
05-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Should be an interesting demo. I'll probably end up going with the tour because of the extra mass but I'm looking forward to my next hitting sessjkn on Friday.

I've owned the tour version. It plays much stiffer and the additional heft was noticeable.

TennisandMusic
05-25-2011, 04:38 PM

:twisted::twisted:

TheOneHander
05-25-2011, 05:00 PM
So what string setups are you playing? I really like mine with a soft multi like Head FXP Power at the upper end of the tension range. It makes the stringbed feel soft, and adds a lot of touch to the racquet. I am also considering putting in NRG2, X-One, or gut to see how they play. However, I would be willig to try a poly/multi hybrid or even a full bed of poly if it's not too harsh. Thoughts?

alen_david
05-25-2011, 05:12 PM
I had the Aero Storm Tour (non-gt with the red paintjob) and it played really well... It was definitely softer than the stiffness rating so it gives you that nice pocketing feel. It had a multi on it and then a co-poly... I must say I prefer the gut-like feel of the multi but you do get increased spin and power off a poly.

alen_david
05-25-2011, 05:13 PM
I haven't played with the GT version but IMO babo wouldn't mess up an already good racket.

snoflewis
05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
the aero storm cortex i tried had full pro hurricane 16g in the high 50s and it was pretty impressive. really loud too

alen_david
05-25-2011, 05:50 PM
the aero storm cortex i tried had full pro hurricane 16g in the high 50s and it was pretty impressive. really loud too

Yeah, Babo did a good job maintaining a player's type racket (storm) with modern technology (aero). I think the combination of a box type hoop and aerodynamic throat wasn't a bad idea for those who hate THICK beams (like me).

snoflewis
05-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah, Babo did a good job maintaining a player's type racket (storm) with modern technology (aero). I think the combination of a box type hoop and aerodynamic throat wasn't a bad idea for those who hate THICK beams (like me).

yeah i agree. although it's not as boxy as a true box beam, it's about as boxy as it gets these days with the exception of the wilson 90s. and the aero design at the throat makes it feel thinner than it really is.

snoflewis
05-27-2011, 11:02 PM
quick review between the aero storm GT and the aero storm tour GT. I was mainly looking for stability in one of these rackets, and obviously, the aero storm tour was going to be more stable compard to the aero storm, but if the aero storm was stable enough, i would have switched to it. unfortunately....it wasnt, and i will be switching to the aero storm tour gt.

on groundstrokes, the aero storm GT swings very light. i was kind of surprised by the 11.4 and the 335 (or w/e it is) SW, but it doesnt feel that heavy at all, relative to the SW. it was very maneuverable, and spin potential is nice, but the racket just is not stable enoguh. the racket is too light, and despite its stiffness, does not hold up to heavy hitting.

after a few rallies, i quickly switched to the aero storm tour GT. it was much better. although it swings lighter than my blx 6.1 95s, it held its own when it came to stability. the stiffness helped a lot and the racket was very crisp and solid when rallying. the spin potential is nice and the power level is pretty good. the racket took a bit to get used to, but it has really impressed me. the stiffness was getting to me a little bit because the demo i had was strung pretty high, but once i string it up w/ my setup, i am expecting big things. got 4 on the way.... :)

TennisandMusic
05-27-2011, 11:48 PM
quick review between the aero storm GT and the aero storm tour GT. I was mainly looking for stability in one of these rackets, and obviously, the aero storm tour was going to be more stable compard to the aero storm, but if the aero storm was stable enough, i would have switched to it. unfortunately....it wasnt, and i will be switching to the aero storm tour gt.

on groundstrokes, the aero storm GT swings very light. i was kind of surprised by the 11.4 and the 335 (or w/e it is) SW, but it doesnt feel that heavy at all, relative to the SW. it was very maneuverable, and spin potential is nice, but the racket just is not stable enoguh. the racket is too light, and despite its stiffness, does not hold up to heavy hitting.

after a few rallies, i quickly switched to the aero storm tour GT. it was much better. although it swings lighter than my blx 6.1 95s, it held its own when it came to stability. the stiffness helped a lot and the racket was very crisp and solid when rallying. the spin potential is nice and the power level is pretty good. the racket took a bit to get used to, but it has really impressed me. the stiffness was getting to me a little bit because the demo i had was strung pretty high, but once i string it up w/ my setup, i am expecting big things. got 4 on the way.... :)

Dude, that was fast.

HeadPrestige
05-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Dude, that was fast.

LOL... and the saga continues. Expect 4 reasonably priced aero storm tours in good condition in the TW marketplace in about 1-3 months :)

snoflewis
05-28-2011, 01:26 AM
Dude, that was fast.

haha yeah. i probably won't receive them till right before summer break, so it should work out.

LOL... and the saga continues. Expect 4 reasonably priced aero storm tours in good condition in the TW marketplace in about 1-3 months :)

very possible. haha. jk jk. i hope not.

flashfire276
05-28-2011, 07:59 PM
But summing up everyone's opinions.
Yes, Babolat did a great job on designing this racquet. It has the perfect balance of a demanding player's racquet, to a forgiving tweener.
I have the whole collection, besides the new GT model. I was hoping it would have the RG colorway, which it doesn't...

The Babolat AeroPro Control, Aero Storm Cortex, and Aero Storm Prototype Concept.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr172/flashfire276/BabolatAeroStormPrototype006.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr172/flashfire276/BabolatAeroStormPrototype007.jpg

flashfire276
05-29-2011, 08:41 PM
got 4 on the way.... :)

And how much did you spend on that??

snoflewis
05-29-2011, 10:33 PM
And how much did you spend on that??

ended up paying $586 (CA tax and shipping included) for the 4 rackets and 4 packs of babolat custom dampeners

TheOneHander
05-30-2011, 04:13 AM
ended up paying $586 (CA tax and shipping included) for the 4 rackets and 4 packs of babolat custom dampeners

Ah, I love the custom dampeners. The inserts are great, and they change the sound from *ping* to "crack!" The "aero" at the bottom of the dampener was a nice touch as well.

As for the racquets, I'm considering demoing an ASTGT just for the fun of it. Does it really play that differently from the non-Tour version?

flashfire276
05-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Ah, I love the custom dampeners. The inserts are great, and they change the sound from *ping* to "crack!" The "aero" at the bottom of the dampener was a nice touch as well.

As for the racquets, I'm considering demoing an ASTGT just for the fun of it. Does it really play that differently from the non-Tour version?

Swingweight is pushed up a bit, and you can really feel the weight difference. But other than that, they play roughly the same.

TheOneHander
05-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Swingweight is pushed up a bit, and you can really feel the weight difference. But other than that, they play roughly the same.

Thanks for the comparison. By the way, did you ever find out about the side cortex? It was just on the Drive series for 2011, we discussed it in another thread. I'll find the link...

What the? I thought they were gonna go on the Aero and Pure lines.
Lemme check around again, cuz I thought another article said that SC was put on all Cortex racquets.

On an Aero Storm note, I think I'm just gonna stick with the two I have, stock. I may pick up another one or an ASTGT for fun, but they're working perfectly for me as it is.

snoflewis
05-30-2011, 11:45 AM

ahh..im glad it's good. i was worried about it flying out all the time, but i heard the insert keeps the dampener in place. i've been using rubber bands for a while, im getting kinda sick of them. haha.

from the ASGT, the tour version doesnt play that different. i mean...it's the same racket pretty much, but heavier. i just found the storm to swing really light and not being as stable as i would have liked. for me, it was difficult to produce a heavy ball or return harder shots w/ the racket. but if it works for you, there's no need to change. although i must add that the 12oz 330SW doesnt feel that heavy. but that may be just me.

Smitty7712
05-30-2011, 02:43 PM
I have used both the APDC, Aero Storm Tour, and the ASTGT each for roughly a year a piece. By far, the best racket i have ever used, is the ASTGT. While the original non-gt version was great, the newer GT version is even better. Babolat really outdid themselves when they made the ASTGT. The older version felt very smooth, but it could be shaky and muted at times. The newer GT version slightly stiffened the frame, making it more stable, yet still kept the power, feel, and relaxed plow-through traits i loved in the old version. It helped control the ball, while adding a crisp, sharp(but comfortable) feel through impact.

If you have the opportunity to try out this racket. DO IT! You will not regret it.

TheOneHander
05-30-2011, 05:38 PM
ahh..im glad it's good. i was worried about it flying out all the time, but i heard the insert keeps the dampener in place. i've been using rubber bands for a while, im getting kinda sick of them. haha.

from the ASGT, the tour version doesnt play that different. i mean...it's the same racket pretty much, but heavier. i just found the storm to swing really light and not being as stable as i would have liked. for me, it was difficult to produce a heavy ball or return harder shots w/ the racket. but if it works for you, there's no need to change. although i must add that the 12oz 330SW doesnt feel that heavy. but that may be just me.

Now, this is just my opinion, but the inserts feel a lot better too. They add just the slightest bit of dampening effect and disperse it throughout the whole head. What weight range of racquet do you normally use?

I have used both the APDC, Aero Storm Tour, and the ASTGT each for roughly a year a piece. By far, the best racket i have ever used, is the ASTGT. While the original non-gt version was great, the newer GT version is even better. Babolat really outdid themselves when they made the ASTGT. The older version felt very smooth, but it could be shaky and muted at times. The newer GT version slightly stiffened the frame, making it more stable, yet still kept the power, feel, and relaxed plow-through traits i loved in the old version. It helped control the ball, while adding a crisp, sharp(but comfortable) feel through impact.

If you have the opportunity to try out this racket. DO IT! You will not regret it.

How do you feel about the weight and speed of the racquet compared to the APDC? I enjoy having the ability to whip the ASGT around, and it swings slightly heavier than the APDC, in my opinion. However, I'm hesitant to move up to racquets that are heavier, as I lose a lot of bat speed.

snoflewis
05-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Now, this is just my opinion, but the inserts feel a lot better too. They add just the slightest bit of dampening effect and disperse it throughout the whole head. What weight range of racquet do you normally use?

i usually use 12.0-12.3 oz rackets. last several have been the blx 6.1 95 16x18, aerogel 200, yonex rds001 mid, prince diablo mid.

Smitty7712
05-31-2011, 11:42 AM
How do you feel about the weight and speed of the racquet compared to the APDC? I enjoy having the ability to whip the ASGT around, and it swings slightly heavier than the APDC, in my opinion. However, I'm hesitant to move up to racquets that are heavier, as I lose a lot of bat speed.

I was also slightly hesitant when i first started using the tour, because like you, I had been using a very light racket. But, I soon realized that I could get equal power from a heavier racket. Even though it is heavier and I swing slower, the extra mass made up for it with exceptional plow-through.

Eventually, after your arm gets used to the weight. It's just as easy to swing as the APDC. It really doesn't feel heavy at all. I've used both light and heavy rackets, and the ASTGT is the most balanced racket i have ever used. Perfect weight in the hoop and grip make for an excellent experience.

TheOneHander
06-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I was also slightly hesitant when i first started using the tour, because like you, I had been using a very light racket. But, I soon realized that I could get equal power from a heavier racket. Even though it is heavier and I swing slower, the extra mass made up for it with exceptional plow-through.

Eventually, after your arm gets used to the weight. It's just as easy to swing as the APDC. It really doesn't feel heavy at all. I've used both light and heavy rackets, and the ASTGT is the most balanced racket i have ever used. Perfect weight in the hoop and grip make for an excellent experience.

I have to agree with you, heavier frames give more effortless power. My concern is mainly on high balls, especially forehand putaways. That's when heavier masses would kick in for me, and is the sole reason why I avoid 11.5+ ounce frames. I couldn't handle the tru-I mean, the weight.

chip&chrge
06-16-2011, 04:15 AM

Great comment...with so many options on the market it is sad that a PJ is the main selling point on these racquets.

I have to admit the first time I say the Original AeroStorm (red PJ) I was in love for this very fact and now I'm the proud owner of the ASGT.

Also wanted to compliment flashfire's pics of his collection. Very cool stuff.

TheOneHander
08-16-2011, 10:12 AM
As much as I hate to bump an older thread, I didn't feel like a new thread was warranted for my question:

I'm beginning to experience elbow pain with my Aeros, even though I'm stringing with a fairly soft string (see my exact specs in my sig). Has anybody with a similar experience switched to the Tour model of the ASGT with good effects? I'd really hate to switch away from these frames, but I might have to in order to save my old body.

Thank you all kindly!

Wilander Fan
02-27-2012, 10:55 PM
As much as I hate to bump an older thread, I didn't feel like a new thread was warranted for my question:

I'm beginning to experience elbow pain with my Aeros, even though I'm stringing with a fairly soft string (see my exact specs in my sig). Has anybody with a similar experience switched to the Tour model of the ASGT with good effects? I'd really hate to switch away from these frames, but I might have to in order to save my old body.

Thank you all kindly!

Probably a bit late but I went from APD to APSGT and the APSGT is much much softer. I had elbow issues with the APD and was looking for a softer version. Instead of getting the tour version, I just leaded up the GT and it plays very stable. I put 4 of those 2 inch lead stickers on with one at 12, 3, 6, and 9. I do miss the crazy spin and power of the ADP but the APSTGT is much more stable and versatile.

parasailing
02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
I had a Aero Pro Drive then Pure Storm Tour GT then tried the Aero Storm GT and Aero Storm Tour GT.

The Aero Pro was the stiffest racquet and for me the PSTGT was the most plush and stable racquet so far. The Aero Storm GT is a pretty solid racquet but I never got use to the sweet spot on the frame. The same goes for the Aero Storm Tour GT. If you hit it dead center, it offers the most power but both racquets felt a tad more sluggish than the Pure Storm GT variants and off center hits were not as forgiving.

I ended up selling the Aero Storm GT.

Sreeram
02-29-2012, 07:53 AM
I am an ASTGT user for past 6 months. This racquet is good for flat hitting with spin put due to your wrist movement. I have this racquet stung with full multi at 56lbs. This racquet produces absoultely no viberation but gives decent feel. Not that great feel but ok feel. It excels in all areas of court.
If you are flat hitter and need some help in spin department to keep the ball in play this this is the racquet for you.