PDA

View Full Version : Head MG Instinct-4 Aces

robby c
05-24-2011, 08:04 PM
My pro has been after me to go modern for a year now, due to elbow trouble.
He says I work too hard to get pace.
I've been a fan of the Head Midplus 660(102) (with the 18 x 19 string pattern) since the 90's. First was the Prestige Tour 102, and the Satellite Tour 102(see avatar).
The stock Instinct(11.0 oz) is way too light.
I sent two to Mr. Jay Bosworth for customizing. His tech John changed the TKS(Speed)pallets I got from TW-Europe to help my one-handed backhand. You will need an extra one for the weight mock-up. I sent 3 of the TKS pallets.
Jay weighted and balanced the frames to match my favorite Prestige 102. Specs are 340 grams weight, and 32.0 cm balance for the Prestige. Both Instinct frames came in at 339 grams(12.0 oz) and 32.2 balance. Exactly the same.
Bosworth labor costs were $168.00.

The stock stiffness for the MG instinct and the Prestige are both 63.
So now I have a wider slightly more powerful Prestige to take me into my Senior campaign next year.
At practice tonight, I hit 4 untouched Aces against solid 4.0 players. I haven't done that since high school, over 30 years ago. Pretty good night.
Total cost for two new racquets was $189 each.
Money well spent.
Keep hitting 'em.

Robby C

flashfire276
05-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Congrats! I agree, the Instinct isn't that much in stock form. But a bit of lead here and there works wonders with this thing!

robby c
05-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Bosworth put lead at 3 and 9, and the same epoxy used at the factory under the buttcap.
No rattles.
Robby C

esgee48
05-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Did Bosworth tell you what the before and after swing weights were? I imagine the revised Instincts are probably in the 330ish range.

Captain Haddock
05-25-2011, 09:49 AM
I'll take those Satellite Tours off your hands... :-)

robby c
05-25-2011, 03:38 PM
I'll take those Satellite Tours off your hands... :-)

Sorry Captain,the Satellites are staying in my bag for late inning relief duty if needed.
The 3 Prestige Tours might be up for sale later this year. I haven't made up my mind. All 3 are 4 5/8 grip size.
Robby C

robby c
05-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Did Bosworth tell you what the before and after swing weights were? I imagine the revised Instincts are probably in the 330ish range.

I didn't ask about swingweight. I just wanted Mr. Bosworth to match my favorite racquet-the Prestige 300 generation. In between the Trysis lines and the Prestige Tours that came later.
Now I need to find a good string combo. Right now I have Klip Legend and Biphase at 56 lbs. Plays like a soft pillow,effortless. I usually use syn gut. Prince or Gosen.
Robby C

robby c
05-31-2011, 08:55 PM
I didn't ask about swingweight. I just wanted Mr. Bosworth to match my favorite racquet-the Prestige 300 generation. In between the Trysis lines and the Prestige Tours that came later.
Now I need to find a good string combo. Right now I have Klip Legend and Biphase at 56 lbs. Plays like a soft pillow,effortless. I usually use syn gut. Prince or Gosen.
Robby C

Per TW Customization tool, the swingweight was bumped up by 35 units.
Up around 350(347-355), depending on whose stock SW numbers you start with.
I like weight added in the handle and hoop rather than throat.
I'm happy with the results. Very solid, but just HL enough to get good racquet head speed.
Robby C