PDA

View Full Version : Did Head F-up their grip shape???

AlpineAce
05-25-2011, 01:34 PM
I was forced to use a "demo" racquet and the only half decent thing they had was a head prestige YT mid+... Ok so I grab it, start hitting and think this is really weird, this grip feels REALLY rectangular. and I used to play with heads for years... but this felt like holding a 2x4, WTF???

vsbabolat
05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
I having been playing with HEAD for a while. They have always been rectangular. The Graphite Edge, Graphite Vector, and Graphite Pro are rectangular.

Automatix
05-25-2011, 01:48 PM
I having been playing with HEAD for a while. They have always been rectangular.
+1... .............

gramdacious
05-25-2011, 01:48 PM
I have 2 YTPPs that have a much more square handle and also a YP Radical MP with a much more rectangular handle. It's kind of odd switching back and forth feeling out the differences of the two.

Ross K
05-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Agree that the Head grip feels rectangular bar shaped when you've been away from it for a while. I also thought the TF grip shape was similar. Personally prefer Wilson, Bab, Prince shape. That said, I do think you can adjust pretty quickly.
R

eidolonshinobi
05-25-2011, 02:00 PM
I having been playing with HEAD for a while. They have always been rectangular. The Graphite Edge, Graphite Vector, and Graphite Pro are rectangular.

Yep, nothing's changed. The speed series are more rounded, less rectangular.

Alzer
05-25-2011, 02:19 PM
My Prestige Pro 600 2nd Gen feels more rounded than any other Head rackets I've got... As Ross K says, you do adjust, but when you pick up a wilson you do think ahhh that's better!

Power Player
05-25-2011, 02:34 PM
My Prestige Pro 600 2nd Gen feels more rounded than any other Head rackets I've got... As Ross K says, you do adjust, but when you pick up a wilson you do think ahhh that's better!

That sums it up quite well.

TheBoom
05-25-2011, 06:51 PM
I personally am somewhat bugged by the grips but only when flattening out the ball. I feel that the speed and extreme have more round grips compared to the other lines

user92626
05-25-2011, 10:04 PM
The different grip shapes between brands really screw up my skill. I was so happy with my apdc and then switched to speed. Now going back to apdc I frequently find myself lost in finding the correct bevels and feel of my s-w grip.

I suggest you stick with one brand.

tennisfarmer
05-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Ya HEAD has always been rectangular, I used head for a long time and i never felt the grip was rectangular or weird and then i started demoing and i realized the head grip shape is not so great, they should def change the shape, it's about time

ilikephobo
05-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Yep, nothing's changed. The speed series are more rounded, less rectangular.

yeah, my speed pro's grip is noticeably rounder than my MG and FXP Prestige's

TheOC
05-26-2011, 09:55 AM
When playing with Head it is definitely worth investing on new grip pallets to make it feel more like a wilson handle.

I played with the Head Radical up til the Microgel, and they just seemed to get more rectangular with every model. When I went back to Wilson the first thing I myself was why I wasted my time with those sticks for so long lol

ryushen21
05-26-2011, 10:30 AM
The head grip shape really isn't as horrible as all of you are making it out to be. It just happens to be that your preferences are towards rounder shaped grips. The head grip, I find, is easier to use and change grips quickly than a more rounded grip. But that's just me.

Power Player
05-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Agree..I like all the grips. But Wilson always has had the best one to me.

wao
05-26-2011, 11:07 AM
The head grip shape really isn't as horrible as all of you are making it out to be. It just happens to be that your preferences are towards rounder shaped grips. The head grip, I find, is easier to use and change grips quickly than a more rounded grip. But that's just me. I have to agree, I struggle with more rounded grips. To the point that I remove the cushioned grips and replace with leather to further let me feel the grip shape.

TheOC
05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
The head grip shape really isn't as horrible as all of you are making it out to be. It just happens to be that your preferences are towards rounder shaped grips. The head grip, I find, is easier to use and change grips quickly than a more rounded grip. But that's just me.

I would agree that it's easier to tell where your hand is on a Head grip, and that is probably the reason why Head makes them that way... However, it feels less stable on contact in comparison to the Wilson handle.

I feel that I have a firmer more secure grip when using a Wilson in comparison to the head. Also, since I use leather replacement grips with the Wilson Pro Overgrips, I still have a fairly good instinct as to how I'm holding the racquet when I'm playing

ryushen21
05-26-2011, 01:04 PM
^I can't say that I agree with you re the stability. My head frames have felt much more stable in my hands compared to the Babolats and Princes I used to play with. Some may find it easier to hold but stability, I feel, has more to do with the frame itself rather than the shape of the handle.