PDA

View Full Version : Chris, what string did you use?

tkoets
05-25-2011, 06:42 PM
I ordered a couple of Prince EXO3 Silvers based on your video review. It seems that you were taking full swings, which is amazing given the specs of the racquet. Just curious... what string type and tension were you using during the filming of the review? Thanks!

TW Staff
05-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Prince Premier LT 16 at mid plus 2lbs. In the video we are using our playtest racquet and a racquet we grabbed straight out of the demo stock (our demos have that exact set up).

Going to try a poly next week.

Chris, TW

TW Staff
05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Tried a poly today at 59lbs. It brought a huge amount of control, but deadened the stringbed too much for me. I'm going to drop the tension down to around 54lbs next and might go with a hybrid.

Chris, TW

tkoets
06-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Okay, thanks for the info, Chris. I am using MSV Focus Hex at mid plus two and having good results with it.

Fed Kennedy
06-01-2011, 10:25 PM
What made you go all the way up to the silver? What about the red or blue? Have you guys played matches with those things yet? I'm kind of fascinated by this...

Fed Kennedy
07-14-2011, 11:05 AM
wow Chris I saw on FB that you switched to this big boy...what did you atring it with? How is the comfort at such a light weight?

Fed Kennedy
07-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Still curious how its going string wise with this behemoth

TW Staff
07-18-2011, 02:56 PM
We have been testing a bunch of string right now, and I've been putting in whatever comes along. Syn guts and multis feel great, but they move all over the place and I'm straightening strings between every point. That is getting pretty old, to be honest.

Polys feel good in this stick and allow me to drop into the mid to lower 50s with no control issues (stringing multis at 59lbs, syn gut at 57lbs).

The only time power is an issue, is when I hit a flatter, more compact stroke (say, I got tight on an approach shot and pushed it rather than hit through it). On that kind of stroke, the kind the racquet was built for, it pushes the ball very deep. On my normal topspin and slice strokes, I get so much spin that power is never an issue.

I've not made the switch to this racquet yet, but I am hitting it more than anything else right now.

Chris, TW

Fed Kennedy
07-20-2011, 12:29 AM
I tried to demo the racquet today, but the noise it made was just crazy even with a dampener. It sounded like it was snapping in half every time I hit the ball. It was awesome on volleys though. Does Poly quiet it down?

TW Staff
07-20-2011, 04:05 PM
It has quite the ping to it with a multi and no damp. A damp makes it quiet enough for me and a poly is even quieter. I actually like the ping, as it annoys those I hit with more than it annoys me and that in of itself brings me great pleasure.

The occasional shank produces a kind of cracking sound like something is breaking, but I think it is just the injected grommet perhaps snapping out/into position.

Chris, TW