PDA

View Full Version : Anyone annoyed at the irregular bumps at the buttcap area of the grip?

alen_david
05-25-2011, 06:48 PM
At times, I get really annoyed at the "bumps" that are made by overlapping original grips, ESP. leather grips. I love leather grips for their stiffness and undampened feel but the bumps at the buttcap area sometimes get to me. My pinkie finger is the usual victim with my forehands and my ohbh. Is there any way of eliminating the bumps or make them less pronounced?

Now I know why pros get their custom grips... some of them don't even use grips... now I have an idea why...

alen_david
05-25-2011, 06:54 PM
I really like that smooth, constant flare shape towards the end of the buttcap. It helps a lot in consistency IMO.

zapvor
05-25-2011, 06:55 PM
doesnt affect me

alen_david
05-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Well, I'm happy for you! lol

Alzer
05-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Well, it does bug me butt (see what I did there?) for different reasons... I like the bump, in fact I try to re-grip my rackets so that the bump is more pronounced on the forehand side as I like to feel the bump at the base of my thumb. Just feels right to me, I try to flare the end out like Soderlings bat, well not quite as much but you get the picture.

The Matrix
05-26-2011, 11:11 AM
I used to have this problem but changed my grip so that my hand was not so far down on the grip. Not only did this solve the annoyance of the bulge of the buttcap but it gave me greater consistency and protects my elbow and wrist from injury.

Giannis
05-26-2011, 11:55 AM
If you are talking about the bump that happens where the first overlap is, what i do is that i make the tapered part of the grip shorter and even more tapered. You can also try start gripping from different bevels until the bump moves to a bevel where it is less annoying too. I don't know if you fully understand what i mean, but basically just take some scissors and start playing with the tapered part of the grip,doing small changes at a time and trying it out until you get the result you want. It might not seem as safe, because the overlapped part will be a lot less, but it will be fine if you do it well.

Same logic applies when u put your overgrip too.

dadozen
05-26-2011, 12:51 PM
When I was using leather grips, one particular area annoyed me so much that I could play only holding the racquet with a specific side facing up.

Then I moved to 3 overgrips only, and it doesn't bother me anymore. But I had to add silicone inside the handle to compensate the loss of weight. Actually, that was a good move because the feel of silicone inside handle is much better.

Alzer
05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
I always play with a specific side up on my racket, it weirds me out when I see people that don't care which side up their racket is :)