PDA

View Full Version : More than cosmetic issues?

TheLambsheadrep
05-25-2011, 07:39 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38221599@N05/sets/72157626682782189/

I just noticed all 3 of my rackets all have cosmetic issues on them, one obviously worse than the others. Im pretty confident of the answers, but I want to make sure none of them would qualify as serious damage. Specifically,
-is the large chip at the throat of the racket between the grommets (the 3 pictures) just of the protective coating and paint, not into the twin tube or anything internal? is there anything more than cosmetic damage right now/in the future caused from it?
-is the bubbling by the grommet in one pictures just of the protective coating, not paint? again, is there anything more than cosmetic damage now/in the future caused from it?
-will the grommet that is closed in and/or the grommet that has "exploded" because the knot is inside it damage the strings?

goran_ace
05-25-2011, 08:20 PM
judging only from the photos the damage appears to be only cosmetic but I'm curious as to why your rackets are getting damaged like that. what kind of stringing machine are you using? what kind of mounting system?

the grommets look OK for now, but every time you string you should inspect to see if the grommets are tearing to the point where string will be in contact with the frame or any sharp edges. with the crushed grommet I'd be keep a close eye on it if stringing something really soft (nat gut or multi). as for the knot slipping down into the grommet you should try using a bulkier knot and/or cinch it tighter before removing the last clamp.

Buckethead
05-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Is it an old racket??

That is typical on some old rackets, to have some part of the paint already gone, because of the the support points of the stringer holds the racket(s) right there and there it receives a lot of stress, specially if it is 2 point mount system.

Your grommets are fine.

What racket is it?

goran_ace
05-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Is that a Radical Twin Tube OS?

TheLambsheadrep
05-26-2011, 10:13 AM
yes, it is a Radical Twin Tube OS, fantastic racket. they came out in 1998, so it is rather old. i dont know what string machine was used, but I just got that racket strung and that is def what the chip is from. ya, next time it gets strung ill try to open up the collapsed grommet, and hopefully the next stringer will handle the wide grommet correctly. will the bubbling eventually flake off like the throat of the other racket? I have bubbling on all 3 of the Radical Twin Tube OSs to some extent, but again I figured its just becasue they are old.

will damage occur the next time the racket with the chip at the throat is strung? will pressure from the stringing machine keep making it worse to the point where it breaks through the throat?

goran_ace
05-26-2011, 11:43 AM
That racket's a classic. Possibly my favorite version of all the Radicals through the years.

That bubbbling of the clear coat will probably flake off like on the other spot. Who does your stringing? Improper mounting, crushing a grommet with the clamp, knot slipping back into the grommet - doesn't seem like the most professional of string jobs and you might want to look around for a new stringer.

TheLambsheadrep
05-26-2011, 12:00 PM
That racket's a classic. Possibly my favorite version of all the Radicals through the years.

That bubbbling of the clear coat will probably flake off like on the other spot. Who does your stringing? Improper mounting, crushing a grommet with the clamp, knot slipping back into the grommet - doesn't seem like the most professional of string jobs and you might want to look around for a new stringer.

as long as its just to the paint and not damaging the frame at all, ill be sad but ok.
ya, for the most recently strung racket with the chip at the throat he was in a rush, might have put too much pressure on the racket, but like said before the rackets are old so maybe it was gonna happen regardless. for the grommets, it was a different guy and i think it was one of his first string jobs because he gave me a hybrid but used poly for the crosses and a multi for the mains, and as far as i know most of the time that would be reversed. also, he crossed the strings through the grommets in a wierd way, but as long as it doesnt hurt the racket im ok with it. both guys are on the college tennis team, so anyone on the team would prob have some knowledge of stringing but obviously some more than others.

goran_ace
05-26-2011, 02:43 PM
well that's the thing, it might just be cosmetic now, but improper mounting can cause structural damage to he frame.

from the looks of it, I'm guessing there was a part of the metal rod/bolt in the mount that was resting up against the inside of your frame. it doesn't matter if he was in a rush, that is something that should never happen.

TheLambsheadrep
05-26-2011, 05:34 PM
well that's the thing, it might just be cosmetic now, but improper mounting can cause structural damage to he frame.

from the looks of it, I'm guessing there was a part of the metal rod/bolt in the mount that was resting up against the inside of your frame. it doesn't matter if he was in a rush, that is something that should never happen.

Oh I agree, I baby my rackets so i was not happy when I saw this. Is there anything i can put on the area next time its strung to prevent additional damage, like heavy tape or something? could i apply a resin or some sort of coating over the area that is as strong as the paint and clear coating (is there anything like that out there for tennis rackets?)?

TheLambsheadrep
05-27-2011, 10:51 PM
or I was thinking today maybe a hot glue coating?

ace0001a
06-02-2011, 11:56 PM
I once put a layer of epoxy in that same area of a Zebra twin tube radical once and it worked fine.

TheLambsheadrep
06-03-2011, 10:55 AM
nice, thanks ace