PDA

View Full Version : Donnay Pro One replacement suggestions...

pro1ltd
06-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi,

I need some advice.

I've been using a Donnay Pro One Limited Edition for about 12 years. I feel the lack of vibration dampening qualities of this racquet has contributed to an elbow problem. Or could it be the 18.5mm beam?

I use a soft string, Technifibre NRG2 or X One / 17, but I find it very difficult to play with low tensions, below 60lbs.

So, I've been looking for a new racquet.

I hit with a very heavy top spin forehand, flat single handed back hand and have a heavy flat 1st serve, depend on kick/slice on 2nd. Mainly a baseliner, but visit the net on occasion.

I've yet to find anything that has a similar feel, swing weight vs spin potential of the Donnay Pro One.

I was given a Wilson Pro Staff Classic / 6.1, I strung this with Technifibre NGR2 /17 @ 60lbs and I seem to play well with this racquet, and I liked the added control of the smaller head. I also liked the Wilson Pro Staff 6.0 95.

I've since tried the following:-

Prince Diablo MP (Too light and I can feel the shock all the way up my arm, very nice bite on the ball though 16x18 ).

Wilson Pro Staff Tour 95 (Too light, but nice feel).

Head Liquid Metal Radical Tour (Too powerful, but correct tension / string could tame maybe, but 18x20 too dense)

Head Liquid Metal Prestige MP (I prefered the feel over the Radical, but again, the stringing pattern too dense, but most comfortable of the lot)

Liquid Metals seem to have good stablity. The Prince twists with off centre shots too easily, I think due to its feather weight. Not interested in fly weight 03's.

My serve has suffered with 18x20's, not enough bite. I feel that that Diablo could've been for me if it were heavier. Would like to try the 93 version with 16x20, but I'm assuming the vibration issues might still be there. I don't like anything under 330 grams. Arm comfort is a greater priority. I've been told the Wilson Ncode's have a more brittle feeling than the Head LM's, so haven't bothered demoing. I don't care for all this new power enhancing technology, I'd buy an old racquet if it helps me.

my-add
06-26-2005, 10:22 PM
I have the donnay Pro-one as well. You are talking about the yellow and blue agassi frame right? I have been playing with it for about 15 years, and yes it had gotten to be heavy over the years as I get older, but the buttery feel it has on vollies, and the great slices you can hit off the backhand side, it is hard for me to switch frames. This racket vollies like no other frame! Serving with it is ok, nothing special, but it is a dream in all other areas, and that is good enough for me. I demo a lot of the new frames, but for good reason, I will ALWAYS come back to this one. Nothing beats it!!!!!

10sNut
06-27-2005, 04:59 AM
I too have been hitting off and on for years with my Limited OS. Has anyone found one of the Head Radical OS models to come close to the Donnay Pro One Limited? Thanks.

pro1ltd
06-27-2005, 08:19 AM
None of the Radical's come anywhere close to the Pro One. They all have thicker beams for a start. I think the closest cousin our racquet has is the Prince Original Graphite. But the Pro One is a bit more powerful due to it feeling a bit stiffer, swings heavier too (in my opinion, don't know about official stats). I seem to feel that you can get a bit more wrist flick with thinner beams. I can't do it as easily with a LM Prestige MP.

10sNut
06-27-2005, 01:38 PM
I tried the POG OS for a bit, but it played stiffer than the Pro One to me. You are correct about the Heads and their thickness not being close. Other than the POG and the NXG OS, I'm having a hard time trying to find an OS with a 16x19 pattern.
Pro1ltd: Have you tried the Volkl Tour 10 Gen II?

pro1ltd
06-27-2005, 02:15 PM
No, I haven't tried the Gen II yet, but it's on my tick list. Theres a long list of frames I still need to check out, just to get through the point of elimination. But, by time I get round to it, another new one comes along :)

I recently managed to get a new LM Prestige stupid cheap, which I'm trying to get used to, but grrrr.... it's comfortable on the arm, but, it doesn't allow me to play MY game. Not an easy racquet to wrist flick with...

Given my experience with 95sq/inch frames, I'm not particularly fussed about getting an oversize actually. I wouldn't go below 93 tho. I quite enjoy the greater control and response of a mid, and I don't find myself frame slapping the ball either.

Next to try, I'll demo the Flexpoint Radical Tour which is 16x19, and I'll see how it goes. I'll sniff around for a demo of a Gen II also. I'll let you know.

Thanks

10sNut
06-27-2005, 05:05 PM

10sNut
07-07-2005, 05:13 PM

michaellashan
07-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Thank you guys for this thread. I used 2 Donnay Pro One Supermidsize Racquets (Green, Red, Grey color) through out my college playing days (93-95) and I haven't found one racquet that even comes close to being such an amazing racquet.

They are very maneuverable, extremely spin friendly, etc. Tried many different brands; Head Radicals (balance/weighting is way different and the string pattern is too dense for my liking) Head Prestige (awesome feel and power, but too heavy to achieve the on-the-rise high racquet speed shots that I love to hit). Wilson 6.0 85 (great stick, but not the Pro One) Right now I'm using a Head i. Radical, but just not the same feeling.

Do any of you guys know anybody that sells grommets for the Donnay Pro One racquets? My search to replace my old Donnays has gone on for almost 10 years now, but I want to get some more life out of them. If anybody finds a racquet that comes really close to those sticks, I would greatly appreciate it as well.

Thank you,

Michael

tennisadict
07-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Pro1Ltd..my-add . If you're interested in selling your frame, please drop me an email f170@yahoo.com too

pro1ltd
08-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Hi, sorry for the delay in response.

I'm going to hold onto my remaining 2 Donnay's for now.

Finding replacement grommets seems to be a bit of a pain though. Tubing is sufficient for now, but ahhh....

I'm not playing with them at the moment, but it's nice to pick up and swing around every so often.

I think I'll always keep one, but if I find the perfect racquet, I'll bare you in mind for the sale of one of them since you asked first :)

pro1ltd
08-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Hey michaellashan,

I'm still on the search for the perfect replacement. As soon as I find it, I'll stick something on here :)

As for grommets, yeah, it's a pain to find replacements. I've managaed to get away with well placed tubing up till now. They're not being used at the moment though.

Cheers

BigboyDan
08-28-2005, 03:39 PM
----------------

BigboyDan
08-28-2005, 03:39 PM
POG 93 - 60lbs.

You're welcome.

Speedy_tennis
08-28-2005, 04:29 PM
if you liked the ps tour 95 try too lead up

Speedy_tennis
08-28-2005, 04:30 PM
what is the donnay pro one specs???

nicolas.almagro
10-26-2005, 09:36 AM
I'm Interested To Buy Your Donnay Pro One Limited Edition Racquets.
Do You Want To Sell Them?

Ciao
Francesco

10sNut
11-02-2005, 06:38 AM
Have you tried the new Fischer Pro One M Speed Oversize? A buddy of mine said that it might be a good replacement.
Aaron

pro1ltd
11-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Nope, but thanks for the tip off, I'll bare that stick in mind. As for the offers for sale, of those that have shown interest, I may be giving it up in about a month now. Thanks for your interest people.

Regards

pro1ltd
11-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Specs, 18.5mm straight beam, 16x19, about 330g. Even balance. Swingweight, I don't know, but it's pretty similar to that of a PS6.0. Solid weight, which travels through the ball but yet, flickable on demand, depend on individual ability.

10sNut
11-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Please drop me an email if you decide to part with them. I'm down to my last one and I would like to keep playing with them if at all possible. att_29485 'at' yahoo.com Thanks

joe1987
11-03-2005, 02:30 AM
if you liked the ps tour 95 try too lead up

Yeah, I was thinking of suggesting that. Just try and take as much power out of the frame as possible till it reaches your comfort level.