PDA

View Full Version : Did I mess up/get the wrong racket?

Davidn20
05-26-2011, 12:35 PM
I recently just bought a Microgel Radical MP racquet with Ashaway crossfire ii string at 60lb. My question is did I mess up? Everything I have been reading tells me that I should have string Kevlar at a much lower tension. The reason why I strung it at such high tension is because I like to hit the ball really hard and my shots usually lands just out. I was hoping that if I had higher tensions I would be able to keep the ball in-bound more. Well, yesterday while playing with my new racquet I wasn't totally impressed because I was still hitting the ball out of bounds and it has gotten really hard for me to add topspin to my shots.

I was wondering what should I do? Should I get it restring or is it just because I have the wrong technique.

*Information about my playing style*
I just started playing tennis about a year ago. I am athletic and I like to make powerful shots across the net. As of right now my shots are really flat, but I'm trying to change that.

goran_ace
05-26-2011, 02:49 PM
yes, kevlar at 60 is way too high. normally I would say that if you just started, then just play with what you got, and that it doesn't really matter what you're using because you need to work on building technique, but in this case it could actually cause injury. improper technique + trying to swing hard + kevlar at high tension is a recipe for tennis elbow.

to control your shots, no equipment is going to do that for you. you need to control your swing first. you can't just dial it in because you don't have a consistent, repeatable stroke to dial in yet.

my suggestions is to have that racket restrung with a basic synthetic gut at mid-range (~57lbs) ASAP.

Larrysümmers
05-26-2011, 02:52 PM
^i agree with def get that thing restrung with something else.

Fuji
05-26-2011, 03:34 PM
PLEASE restring soon. Your on the way to ending your elbow. The only reason your hitting long is because your strokes aren't fully tuned yet. That comes with technique. You could string Kevlar at 90lbs, and still hit long. :) Just like how you can string at 30lbs and hit short. I should know, I've done that. LOL!

-Fuji

Davidn20
05-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Thank you for suggestions. I'll find a place to get it restring.

McLovin
05-27-2011, 03:28 AM
PLEASE restring soon. Your on the way to ending your elbow.

I string for a strong 4.5 player who uses that same racket. He uses 18g Kevlar @ 60lbs w/ Gut crosses @ 64lbs. He just turned 40 and has been using this setup for at least 5 years (he used the LM Radical prior to the MG Radical).

To date, absolutely positively no elbow problems (unless you consider bending it to drink alcohol).

In addition, I used that same setup in a Pure Control + 'Swirly', which had a flex of 70, for 4 years. Absolutely positively no elbow problems. Ever.

So, if you like the feel of it, keep it like it is & take some lessons to improve your strokes. You can use 100% Natural Gut and still develop elbow problems due to poor technique.

Davidn20
05-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Hmm. Well I ended up playing with the racquet for 3-4 hours yesterday, and I didn't feel any pain or soreness from my elbow afterward. The racquet also doesn't seem too harsh for me. I'll just keep playing with it for now.

goran_ace
05-27-2011, 09:41 AM
tennis elbow isn't something that happens all at once, it happens over time from repeated use. so just because you played 3-4 yesterday doesn't mean you've injured it, but it also doesn't mean it's something you shouldn't worry about. why even take the chance? there are no performance gains to be had by using that set up, and actually, this is just my pesonal opinion, but it may be detrimental to your progress as a beginner because part of learning the game is learning to 'feel' the ball.

thug the bunny
05-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Developing a good hard consistent topspin shot takes time. You probably got another year at least. And yes, I wouldn't choose kevlar at a billion lbs. I tried kevlar once and it felt like hitting with a frying pan. The MG Rad is already a pretty stiff frame, so IMO you need some softer strings that will put some bite on the ball. Keep working at developing topspin.

TennisCJC
05-27-2011, 11:15 AM
RESTRING. If you must play a stiff string, try a poly like signum pro tornado or one of the many other between 48-52 lbs. Or play a good multi such as nrg2 between 56-60 lbs. Nadal plays a stiff poly string in the mid-to-low 50 lb range. He controls it with no problem. Federer plays a gut/poly hybrid in the hi 40 lb range and he controls it with no problem. I assure you Nadal and Federer both have a swing speed much, much higher than yours. If they can still control the ball at these relatively low tensions with their very, very fast swing speeds; I know you can learn to control the ball at lower tensions at your lower swing speed.

You may not feel pain immediately but I think it is only a matter of time before you injure your elbow, wrist, or shoulder.