PDA

View Full Version : Still need advices on twisting racquet in my hand! Give all advices you can, please!!

W.S
05-26-2011, 01:19 PM
I really need your help. As I said on my last thread I have changed gripsize from 3/8 to 1/4 which feels so great! The problem is that it twists more on my volley and serves. I refuse to go back to 3/8 because it feels to big for me! I can feel that is the wrong size.

What can I do for reduce the twisting? Should I make the head heavier with leadtape at 10 and 2 o'clock? Adding at 9 and 3 o'clock didnt make any difference when I tried.
Is there any other trick like changing the buttcap to a bigger size or... you know! :shock:
Come up with anything that I can do!
Thank you so much for comments, really!

AceServer
05-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Add more weight to the handle area to add weight and some on 3 and 9 for stability.

snoflewis
05-26-2011, 01:27 PM
could be a lot of things. grip size too small, the grip is not tacky or old, your racket may not be stable enough, you might not be hitting the ball in the sweetspot, etc.

if the racket wasnt twisting in 3/8 and it is in 1/4...you're better off w/ 3/8. 3/8 shouldnt be too big unless you're a 14 year old kid

W.S
05-26-2011, 01:38 PM
could be a lot of things. grip size too small, the grip is not tacky or old, your racket may not be stable enough, you might not be hitting the ball in the sweetspot, etc.

if the racket wasnt twisting in 3/8 and it is in 1/4...you're better off w/ 3/8. 3/8 shouldnt be too big unless you're a 14 year old kid

For me 3/8 in Babolat size feels huge! I also uses extreme western grip on my forehand which gets cramped of big gripsize. Backhand feels also much better with 1/4.

Jura-SB
05-26-2011, 01:44 PM
I had the same problem!!!
I play with the Babolat Aero Storm.
Any time I've missed the sweet spot the racquet twisted in my hand.
So I tryed 10 different overgrips (tacky,dry,ultra tacky...):Nothing helped! (it's 4 1/2 grip size).
So I've put 9 grams of lead tape under the basic grip and 3 grams at 2 and 3 grams at 10 o'clock.
The racquet is much more stable and that twisting is gone...even if i miss the sweet spot. :)

W.S
05-26-2011, 02:02 PM
I had the same problem!!!
I play with the Babolat Aero Storm.
Any time I've missed the sweet spot the racquet twisted in my hand.
So I tryed 10 different overgrips (tacky,dry,ultra tacky...):Nothing helped! (it's 4 1/2 grip size).
So I've put 9 grams of lead tape under the basic grip and 3 grams at 2 and 3 grams at 10 o'clock.
The racquet is much more stable and that twisting is gone...even if i miss the sweet spot. :)

Wonderful advice! Where at the handle do you put the lead? Is it near the buttcap?

goran_ace
05-26-2011, 02:08 PM
What can I do for reduce the twisting? Should I make the head heavier with leadtape at 10 and 2 o'clock? Adding at 9 and 3 o'clock didnt make any difference when I tried.

Forget about the lead. Lead doesn't have as much of an effect if you're not swinging (and I hope you're not swinging at those volleys). On those volleys make sure you are watching the ball into your strings and then squeeze your grip on contact.

toucano
05-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Is it something you have always suffered with or due to a recent racket change ?

W.S
05-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I have not changed my racquet. Only the gripsize on them.

Fuji
05-26-2011, 02:32 PM
FYI Babolat racket sometimes run a full grip size larger. Your probably actually a 3/8, but a 1/4 feels better because it's actually a 3/8. :)

As for twisting, quit shanking!!! Just kidding. Just watch the ball, and I'm sure the twisting will go away. Add LOTS at 3 & 9, and counter balance in the handle, it might just help.

:)

-Fuji

Buckethead
05-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Small grips will be more unstable regardless.
That can also happen because maybe the racket isn't stable(I never played with it so i'm not gonna say anything)
What about your technique??
However I wouldn't be surprised if the racket is part of the problem, due to its quality.
Now look at some Yonex rackets on sale, RDiS line and pick up one of those that suit you better and you'll have no problem.
Babolat 1/4 equals Yonex 3/8 somewhat.

Bud
05-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Add more weight to the handle area to add weight and some on 3 and 9 for stability.

Best advice so far :)

Add a leather grip, overgrip and then add about 6-10g (total) at 3/9 (adjust up or down as necessary). You can also add 10-15g of weight inside the buttcap if you don't like leather.

It will slightly increase the static weight, make the frame more headlight and also increase the stability.

MonkeyTennis
05-26-2011, 06:21 PM
At first when I started, I had the same problem. It wasn't the racquet though, it was just how I was playing.
Try to learn a new way to grip(continental, eastern, etc.)
Also, maybe you can use the 1/4 and add ONE single overgrip?

LeeD
05-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Twisting? Start with new tacky overgrip.
Hit the ball harder so it doesn't come back as hard.
Watch the ball and hit it hard, centered.
If that don't work, go to bigger grip. I'm on 4 5/8 with new tacky overgrips every 2 hours of play. Unfortunately, most 5.0's don't care that I hit hard, they hit harder first.

W.S
05-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I have also tried making the grip bigger by putting athletic tape under the handle. It helped alittle with stability on volleys but it was still twisting. It did twisting in my hand terrible sometimes on the serve.
I actually thinking of try some weights to make the Pure Drives alittle heavier. I think they maybe to light.
Will try some lead at 12 o'clock.

LeeD
05-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm a skinny old fart, but use a 10.3 oz Aero500 dead stock SW 307 and it NEVER twists in my hand, especially on serves, flat or spun.
When my hitting bud hits an overhead right into my strikezone, my racket twists. I should avoid giving him easy feeds, eh?