PDA

View Full Version : Which Volkl?

Tennisfam
05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
I am trying to decide which Volkl to demo and would like some recommendations. I am fairly new to the game and currently play to a 3.5 level. With that said, I take lessons and practice regularly as I am looking to improve to higher levels. I am currently using a Head LM Radical OS but feel as though i may be missing out on some technology that could help with performance and comfort. At age 43, i am prone to TE but don't have any issues now.

After reading several threads, I am considering trying the PB10 MP, Organix 8, Organix 10 (325), PB V1 and perhaps a BB Sportster. However, I don't want my ego to get in the way of progress, so I thought some knowledgeable insight may help expedite my search. I am open to all suggestions, so please let me know if I'm on the right track.

Thank You

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-26-2011, 06:39 PM
i suspect anything with a "10" in the model number would be a mistake, no offence. i have hit with the X-8 and I would think that would be ideal. If you possibly can, try one of teh Volkl 4s.

I know they are very light, but the balance is quite head light and they are a beautiful frame to play with. Great stability and that Volkl 'feel'

I know this as my son has an X-4 and a DNX-4 and I have been hitting up with him lately before his matches using his racquet (why take 2 bags?)

Fuji
05-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I agree with Timbo here! The 10 series is great for more "advanced" players. Not saying that you might not be able to wield it with enough practice, but at your stage in the game, the 8 series might be a good fit, possibly the 9. The 10 is just a monster series unless you have some SOLID strokes! :)

-Fuji

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-26-2011, 07:08 PM
yah, fo sho!

I really think the 10s will hold up your progress at this stage of your developement.

If I wasn't being sponsored by Dunlop, I might have gone for an X-10 when I got my BIO 200s a couple of month ago. I hit with one when I was trying out some heavier frames, such nice sticks.
I love the Dunlops, though (ahem), but I digress.

Fuji
05-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Timbo, your sponsored by Dunlop??? That is so cool! I'm totally jelly! :)

-Fuji

rovision
05-26-2011, 07:24 PM
If you are a 3.5 and take lessons, I'd look at OX 8, BB London, and maybe OX 295. It depends also on how you hit the ball. If you hit topspin with long swings, go for these new OX's. If you hit more traditional, flat, try the London. In any case, any Volkl or BB will be very comfortable in terms of TE. The previous series, PB or BB, feel soft compared to the OX's. But, if you like a crisper feel, definitely OX.

vegasgt3
05-26-2011, 07:27 PM
the organix 8 is a great racquet, but you must hit with a lot of spin to keep it in. The 10 would be a mistake at 3.5 level unless you are a real strong guy and have long strokes. i would demo and see which you play better with. Since you are taking lessons, ask your coach which he thinks would be better for you. The new technology is really about comfort vs. power level. Try the new Donnays too, they are awesome.

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Timbo, your sponsored by Dunlop??? That is so cool! I'm totally jelly! :)

-Fuji

lol, yeah mate, local hero, me!

(it only extends to a couple of free frames, some string and a bag, but still...)

Tennisfam
05-26-2011, 07:38 PM
It sounds as though X8 is in and all 10's are out!! Thanks for the honesty, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Are the Donnay's as comfortable as the Volkl's? If so, which models? I would like to stay above 11.0 oz in weight.

fuzz nation
05-26-2011, 07:39 PM
If it's any sort of load off your mind, there are really no advantages to "new technologies" compared with the LM Radical you have now. Just about all that stuff is some sort of reinvention of the wheel by racquet companies in their attempts to hype (and $ell) new gear.

You've got a very good racquet in your possession right now - I've seen a couple 4.5-5.0 level players in my area using it well in recent history. If you're convinced that you need to try something else, the mid-plus version could be a good starting point, especially since it's so affordable these days.

It sounds as though you can only demo one racquet. If that's the case, I'd say try something that our pals have already recommended above. If it turns out that you can get a couple of frames for test drives though, definitely throw one of the "10" models in there for a go. No way to know whether you'll love it or hate it without a sampling.

I have a couple of especially heavy mids that I think of as "training frames", but I also have a couple of Volkl C10 Pro 98's, which aren't anywhere near so demanding. You may hate lugging the extra beef, but you may love the extra stability. As the news people say, details at eleven...

Hominator
05-27-2011, 02:10 AM
If you are a 3.5 and take lessons, I'd look at OX 8, BB London, and maybe OX 295. It depends also on how you hit the ball. If you hit topspin with long swings, go for these new OX's. If you hit more traditional, flat, try the London. In any case, any Volkl or BB will be very comfortable in terms of TE. The previous series, PB or BB, feel soft compared to the OX's. But, if you like a crisper feel, definitely OX.

I think Rovision's comments are spot on. The X8 sounds appropriate for you. That said, your current racquet is fine. If your main goal is developing your strokes to become a better player, I'd recommend that you not switch racquets too often. Doing so can interfere with your development. I think most racquets are fine to the 4.5-5.0 level. If/when you get to that level, you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for in your racquet since your strokes should be groomed by then. Good luck!

Tennisfam
05-27-2011, 02:48 AM
Hominator - Your reply echoes exactly what my instructor told me a few weeks back. He also thinks my current racquet is fine for now.

I thought while i was in the process of was of developing a better stroke, a smaller head may help become more precise. What do you guys think?

tom4ny
05-27-2011, 03:12 AM
i agree that your lm radical is a good fit. if you want something a little softer i like the microgel version even better. i own both as well as an x8. the x8 is a modern frame for the aggressive modern topspin game. you can wail away at the ball and it will go in and your arm is shielded in total comfort due to the new handle system. it is actually less precise than your current frame but control is decent and it is more powerful than the lm radical. considering the sale price on the microgel radical i would look at that. maybe look at the mp version. otherwise, given what you said, i would look at the x10 295. the organix will feel totally different from your lm radical. both are solid but the organix frames are more muted.

max
05-27-2011, 05:29 AM
I agree on the 8 series, but why not try out the 10 as well? God knows, there was a time when even 15 year olds could swing a 12.5 oz. frame! :)

max
05-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Hominator - Your reply echoes exactly what my instructor told me a few weeks back. He also thinks my current racquet is fine for now.

I thought while i was in the process of was of developing a better stroke, a smaller head may help become more precise. What do you guys think?

I agree about the smaller head.

esgee48
05-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Agree with Hominator's and Fuzz's comments. Your LM Radical OS is fine for stroke development. Only things I would do is (1) string tighter with current string or change to deader string and (2) add lead tape to hoop to increase swingweight. As your technique gets better, you will want a 'heavier' racquet.

Tennisfam
05-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Where on the racquet should I add tape? It does seem as though I need more weight behind the swing, especially when returning serves.

mctennis
05-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Start off with the V1. It grows with your skills. Take the time to get better and spend you money there. You may keep playing around with this and that racquet but for the money and your skill level the V1 is it. There are even two teaching pros that use the V1 as well. They agree it's a great all around racquet.

dParis
05-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Tennisfam, the Volk V1 is one of the best series of racquets ever. Do yourself a favor and get to know either the Classic or Powerbridge. Judging by the self evaluation you provided to us, this is the perfect time to try these frames (I haven't tried the BB Sportster yet, but I would include that too). The V1's are the pinnacle of comfort, lots of power while keeping a great control ratio, easy to swing all day, can absorb the power of the hardest shots you are likely to face and they have more stability than many, much heavier racquets.

My strong suggestion for the V1/Sportster prevents me from also suggesting the X8 or X10 - for the time being.

Sure, you can hit some great shots with the X10 - but you can hit those shots with the V1 as well, I'm sure. It's not like you (and I include myself) will be maxing the capabilities of either racquet. If consistency means anything to you at all, you'll hit those shots more consistently with the V1.

Ditto the X8. I'm going to have to disagree with the suggestions that the X8 is a more forgiving alternative to the X10, for you. Sure, the X8 is lighter and has a larger sweetspot but, in my opinion, it's a tool specialized for a particular style of game. If you have something other than a western or semi-western grip and a fast, low to high/windshield wiper stroke and play primarily from the baseline, you won't be taking advantage of what this racquet offers that other racquets don't.

One of the great aspects of the V1 is that you can hit both spinny serves and groundstrokes (similar to the X8 ) or you can flatten it out and drive the ball (similar to the X10).

If you really need to try the X10, I suggest starting with the X10 295. Otherwise the V1 will treat you well now as well as take you to the next level. Worst case, if you need more racquet in the future you'll have a classic racquet sitting in the bottom of your bag or closet. :)

Good luck. Let us know how it's going.

Hominator
05-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Where on the racquet should I add tape? It does seem as though I need more weight behind the swing, especially when returning serves.

I'd recommend against tuning your racquet at your present level. It's way too easy to try a lead tape fix when it's really your strokes that you need to work on. There are a lot of people on this board who tune their racquets to no end, when the best thing for them to do is to just practice more. Maybe ask your pro. Just my $.02.

tennisexecutor
05-27-2011, 07:40 AM
imo it is to your best interest to leave the racquet tuning business until your strokes are oiled and polished (generally think NTRP 5.0 and above) enough for you to be able to distinguish between the gamut of finer refinements that tuning will bring. you don't want to be fighting against flawed stroke patterns, footwork, etc. while tuning. if you don't know what key you are tuning to then it's just premature optimization/masturbation, which is fine if that's what brings you pleasure. but know that you will stunt your growth as a true player.

rovision
05-27-2011, 07:52 AM
I agree with above posters, V1 would be a great "tweener" racket.
I'm a 3.5 myself, and played with V1 for many years. Perfect combination of power, control, spin, whatever. But, and it's a big but, it works well up to a certain level of competition. If you start playing league, you'll probably come against 4.0s, or even higher. At this point, you'll need a heavier, more stable stick. Otherwise, if you'll play mostly people at your level... V1 is the best Volkl for improving your game.

TennisCJC
05-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I play the x10 295 and it is great. Actually, I would say it is the volkl equal of your lm rad in a mid-plus size.

If you don't want to customize, try the x8. The SW is hi enough that you should have plenty of stability and power. More than the stock x10.

You can customize at any level - you don't have to wait until you are a 5.0 as someone said above. If you go with an x10 295, read how to customize on the TW site and these boards. I suggest adding 1 gram at 3 o'clock (that's about 2 inches of 1/4 inch tape on each side of the strings centered on the middle of the optizone area on the side), add another 1 gram at 9 o'clock, and add 1/2 gram at 12 o'clock (right at the tip of the racket centered on the high optizone spot with 1 inch of 1/4 tape on each side of strings). The x10 295 is a great racket and if you like your liquid metal os, I think you will really like this. It is a wee bit underpowered stock. You may like it stock but it you play it stock, I suggest dropping tension to 52-53 to get a bit more power.

If you want more of an all court racket that you can play without customization, try the BB delta core sportster or the BB V1 mid-plus. Both of these have fairly hi SW and you should not need customization. The volkl pb v1 mid-plus is also an option. I think the V1 (sportster is an updated v1) is a classic racket and can be a tweener or a player's racket for an older player. Also, a great advanced junior racket as it is fairly light. V1 is a classic.

My recommendation is try one of the v1 or sportster rackets until you improve to a solid 4.0 player and then customize the x10 295.

JackB1
09-21-2011, 06:36 AM
lots of great suggestions here for the OP.

Some great choices for your level are:
the Volkl V1 MP or Organix 8 or even the Organix 6 or PB9 or London. One of those has GOT to work for you.
Also the Becker Delta Core Sportster or Delta Core Pro would be other excellent choices.
I would also recommend the Head IG Instinct if u are willing to stray from Volkl.

tennis-kid
09-21-2011, 10:53 AM
yah, fo sho!

I really think the 10s will hold up your progress at this stage of your developement.

If I wasn't being sponsored by Dunlop, I might have gone for an X-10 when I got my BIO 200s a couple of month ago. I hit with one when I was trying out some heavier frames, such nice sticks.
I love the Dunlops, though (ahem), but I digress.

I wish I was sponsored by Volkl or PK so I can get free racquets :mrgreen:
I have Volkl x10 295. It is awesome stick, very powerful, soft to arm.

TennisMaverick
09-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I wish I was sponsored by Volkl or PK so I can get free racquets :mrgreen:
I have Volkl x10 295. It is awesome stick, very powerful, soft to arm.

There are sponsorship player packages at the Ambassador level, just as other companies have--junior, college, and competitive open. If you are in the industry, then you can become a fully sponsored VIP. Contact them thru the website.

Cesare
09-24-2011, 12:59 PM
TennisMaverick, my Volkl Tour 10 generation 1 ( which i personally consider the best midplus ever, not just the best volkl midplus) start to become pretty fatigued after 2 years of intense use. Do you think that the 10 Organix 325 could be a good replacement, or the melbourne it's a better choice in your opinion? I would like to stay with Volkl organix 10, but i'm afraid to lose that tipical volkl feel of my tour 10. Thanks in advance

TennisMaverick
09-24-2011, 03:04 PM
TennisMaverick, my Volkl Tour 10 generation 1 ( which i personally consider the best midplus ever, not just the best volkl midplus) start to become pretty fatigued after 2 years of intense use. Do you think that the 10 Organix 325 could be a good replacement, or the melbourne it's a better choice in your opinion? I would like to stay with Volkl organix 10, but i'm afraid to lose that tipical volkl feel of my tour 10. Thanks in advance

"which i personally consider the best midplus ever, not just the best volkl midplus"

Taino and Kim would agree with you--Eric still uses them and has a stash of back-ups.

I think that you should try the X10 325, because as you get older, you may want the frame to do a little more. With not much mods, you can make the string bed pocketing greater, if the quicker, more modern feel is too alien. But, the X10 let's you short hop balls from the baseline with SPIN, so you can gain time and cut your opponent's time. If that feel can't be assimilated, then your best bet would be the Melbourne, where the DC provides for a little stability in a traditional frame, as the titanium did in the T10. It will have the plush feel that you're accustomed, and the string bed pocketing--even more than the T10 MP--changes the feel of the 18x20, which is as responsive as a 16x19, but with the control of the denser string pattern. If you want even more pop from the string bed, skip the 8th main on both sides. The capped grommet also provides for a lot of plow thru, and forces the ball to sink into the string bed, like what happened with your T10 MP, when it was fresh.

Cesare
09-24-2011, 03:35 PM
"which i personally consider the best midplus ever, not just the best volkl midplus"

Taino and Kim would agree with you--Eric still uses them and has a stash of back-ups.

I think that you should try the X10 325, because as you get older, you may want the frame to do a little more. With not much mods, you can make the string bed pocketing greater, if the quicker, more modern feel is too alien. But, the X10 let's you short hop balls from the baseline with SPIN, so you can gain time and cut your opponent's time. If that feel can't be assimilated, then your best bet would be the Melbourne, where the DC provides for a little stability in a traditional frame, as the titanium did in the T10. It will have the plush feel that you're accustomed, and the string bed pocketing--even more than the T10 MP--changes the feel of the 18x20, which is as responsive as a 16x19, but with the control of the denser string pattern. If you want even more pop from the string bed, skip the 8th main on both sides. The capped grommet also provides for a lot of plow thru, and forces the ball to sink into the string bed, like what happened with your T10 MP, when it was fresh.

great infos as ever, thank you. Last question: what about the stability of the 10 organix 325? Some say that this is possibly the only weak point of the frame.

TennisMaverick
09-24-2011, 03:59 PM
great infos as ever, thank you. Last question: what about the stability of the 10 organix 325? Some say that this is possibly the only weak point of the frame.

I didn't find that at all, and now, my X10 325 is modified for me, so it feels much like a wider PB 10 Mid.

Cesare
09-24-2011, 04:09 PM
I didn't find that at all, and now, my X10 325 is modified for me, so it feels much like a wider PB 10 Mid.

happy to hear this. so i'll go with the X 325

TennisMaverick
09-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Remember, it does have a very modern feel. The head does not flex like all Volkls do.

sargeinaz
09-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Cesare, please write your opinion on the X 325 when you hit with it. I'd love to hear a T10MP user's opinion on the X 325 and how it compares and I'm sure many others would want to hear it too.

Cesare
09-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Remember, it does have a very modern feel. The head does not flex like all Volkls do.

ok, but as you said before maybe it's time to have something new since i'm getting old ( 43 yers old now) . to get more ball pocketing, where should i add the lead tape on this frame?

Cesare
09-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Cesare, please write your opinion on the X 325 when you hit with it. I'd love to hear a T10MP user's opinion on the X 325 and how it compares and I'm sure many others would want to hear it too.

Sargeinaz, sure i'll do that. it will take 2 or 3 weeks time. Please stay tuned.

TennisMaverick
09-24-2011, 05:51 PM
ok, but as you said before maybe it's time to have something new since i'm getting old ( 43 yers old now) . to get more ball pocketing, where should i add the lead tape on this frame?

Design your mods to mimic the feel of your T10 MP. My mods were specific to me, and what I have been using since '82. Be mindful that the X at all four poles, is like lead tape but lighter, and the x at 12:00 is similar to the change in beam shape of your T10 MP at the same place, to stiffen the hoop.

Cesare
09-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Design your mods to mimic the feel of your T10 MP. My mods were specific to me, and what I have been using since '82. Be mindful that the X at all four poles, is like lead tape but lighter, and the x at 12:00 is similar to the change in beam shape of your T10 MP at the same place, to stiffen the hoop.

i've never tested lead tape in the throat area. could it work here?

TennisMaverick
09-24-2011, 06:12 PM
i've never tested lead tape in the throat area. could it work here?

I have tape in all of my frames in the throat. If you are doing it to stiffen the area, I think that you'll find the beam shape in the X10 stiffens it as well as the T10's variable beam at that juncture.

Hominator
09-24-2011, 06:39 PM

The X10 325 plays very well, stock, IMO...

Cesare
09-24-2011, 06:48 PM
The X10 325 plays very well, stock, IMO...

so the 317 Sw doesn't make the frame to move a little bit lighter than any other 10 series of the past in your opinion? Thanks

dParis
09-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Cesare, the X10-325 is nothing like the Tour10mp. At all. It's heavier, stiffer, balanced differently and the feel and feedback is completely different as well.

The X325 reminded me more of a Wilson 6.1 95. Though I think the balance of the Wilson is better, the Organix is a little more forgiving. I wouldn't say the X325 is more solid than the 6.1 95 or the 4D200, but it is in the same league.

The London feels most like the T10mp of any racquet I've tried lately, but I haven't used the Melbourne yet. TMav has stated that the Melbourne makes the most use of traditional graphite out of the new Volkl/BB frames and the mold appears to be the same as the T10mp with some minor tweaks to the 3:00 and 9:00 positions and the throat, so it should be quite a bit more reminiscent of the T10 than the X10.

TennisMaverick
09-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Cesare, the X10-325 is nothing like the Tour10mp. At all. It's heavier, stiffer, balanced differently and the feel and feedback is completely different as well.

The X325 reminded me more of a Wilson 6.1 95. Though I think the balance of the Wilson is better, the Organix is a little more forgiving. I wouldn't say the X325 is more solid than the 6.1 95 or the 4D200, but it is in the same league.

The London feels most like the T10mp of any racquet I've tried lately, but I haven't used the Melbourne yet. TMav has stated that the Melbourne makes the most use of traditional graphite out of the new Volkl/BB frames and the mold appears to be the same as the T10mp with some minor tweaks to the 3:00 and 9:00 positions and the throat, so it should be quite a bit more reminiscent of the T10 than the X10.

I wrote a long time ago in the X Club thread and X10 threads about the X10s playing like the 6.1 and APDGT, but better, because the head doesn't vibrate when hitting off center, and the X10s actually have more bite than the APDGT. I would disagree that the X10 325 wasn't more solid than the 6.1, since the 6.1 twists a lot, as you move contact more towards 3/9. The X10 325 doesn't do that, as its head shape is still somewhat Volkl traditional. Also, the 6.1 is quite hefty, so if you customize the head, few can deal with it without a counter, which makes the stick too heavy for 99% of players. I think that an APDGT player can easily use an X10 295, and a 6.1 player would be better served with an X10 325.

Hominator
09-25-2011, 03:29 AM
so the 317 Sw doesn't make the frame to move a little bit lighter than any other 10 series of the past in your opinion? Thanks

I've only ever really played with the PB10Mid, and the mid, due to it's balance, plays even lighter than the X10 325. And my mids come in at 12.7 ounces.

I play my X10 325 stock and the ball quality is similar to my weighted mids.

Maui19
12-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this may be the most helpful Volkl I've ever read, particularly The first page or two. It is particularly helpful to read about the type of player/playing style a racquet fits rather than specs and marketing mumbo jumbo.

Well done!