PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Ti Radical to Volkl C10 & hitting windshield wiper forehand.

loosegroove
05-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Well after years with the Ti Radical, I'm trying to switch to a new frame, the Volkl C10. I've only played with the C10 one day, and it excelled where I was hoping it would. It's nice and plush, has way greater stability and plow through. In less than an hour I was hitting my one handed topspin backhand and slice better, as well as my serve.

However my forehand suffered (which is my main weapon). I hit a modern windshield wiper with a semi-western grip. Lots of my balls were sailing long with the C10. I wasn't able to generate the same racket head speed or whip my forehand on short balls and I think I was late hitting on the FH side. It's only .3 oz heavier than my Radical and with the C10 being so headlight I figured it wouldn't be a big adjustment.

So question for you guys: When you choose a new racket should it feel right immediately or does it make sense to have to adjust to it? When I hit cleanly with the C10 it feels great, but my timing is definitely off and am wondering if that means it's too much stick or the wrong balance for my forehand side.

pyrokid
05-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Well I actually just switched away from a Ti radical and went to a pure storm tour.
The main thing I noticed when I tried it was that it obviously had more potential. It took less effort to hit harder and with more spin and deeper and slices and volleys were way better. But some less common strokes were pretty off on timing, but I figured I would be able to adjust after I switched. I made the switch and adjusted just fine.

loosegroove
05-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I feel like the C10 has more potential for sure. Unlike you, it's not the "less common strokes" that are off on timing, it's my forehand groundies. But I guess that makes sense since that's my most advanced stroke with the fastest swing speed, hence requires the most timing.

pyrokid
05-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I feel like the C10 has more potential for sure. Unlike you, it's not the "less common strokes" that are off on timing, it's my forehand groundies. But I guess that makes sense since that's my most advanced stroke with the fastest swing speed, hence requires the most timing.

Well I was able to adjust to the groundies in a matter of minutes. If t's taking the forehand that long to get your consistency down with it you might just wanna start tweaking your form a little bit. I just had timing issues to work out with mine. It sounds like you might just have a stroke that doesn't work well with the added weight of the c10. I'm not positive, but I think it's a little more than the 9 grams heavier you bought it was unless you modded the radical.
The c10 just isn't As whippy as the radical.