PDA

View Full Version : Donnay X-Dual Core Platinum 99 or Platinum 94?

i_heart_ib
05-27-2011, 11:57 AM
For those of you who have tried the two rackets, which one was your favorite? What were the advantages or disadvantages of each one? Is one stiffer than the other? (I've had shoulder problems, so I'm trying to stay away from a stiff racket that will cause more problems).

Thanks!

UWBTennis
05-27-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm wondering this too, if anybody could offer their opinion it would help?

i_heart_ib
05-27-2011, 04:18 PM
For those of you who have tried it out and have had arm problems, did this racket feel comfortable?

highgeer
05-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Neither rackets is hard on my arm. THe 94 feels tighter (more solid)to me, so it can be perceived as being stiffer, but I don' think it is. The 99 is already extremely stable, so I'm not sure you need more stability, but I like the feel of the 94 better. I have found that midpluses give me more problem in my elbow than mids. This is probably because I sometimes tend to open up too early on my openstance forehand, which causes me to hit balls in the upper hoop. I also hit a lot of serves in the upper hoop as well. This produces more vibration that results in elbow pain. I find this happens more with lighter MPs (under 12.5 oz.)like Speed MP, Prestige MP, lighter princes, Bab, etc. I can feel this more with the 99s than with the 94s. If I string the 99 with a stiff poly at 58+, it would give me problems. I think that if you use a 2HBH you might prefer the 99s, if you use a 1HBH then you might migrate toward the 94. Even though the 99 is great at the net, for me, the 94 is better. Also the old all-court 94 vs. baseliner 99. The Silver seems stiffer than the Platinum, but this might be weight differences.

Mike

i_heart_ib
05-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Neither rackets is hard on my arm. THe 94 feels tighter (more solid)to me, so it can be perceived as being stiffer, but I don' think it is. The 99 is already extremely stable, so I'm not sure you need more stability, but I like the feel of the 94 better. I have found that midpluses give me more problem in my elbow than mids. This is probably because I sometimes tend to open up too early on my openstance forehand, which causes me to hit balls in the upper hoop. I also hit a lot of serves in the upper hoop as well. This produces more vibration that results in elbow pain. I find this happens more with lighter MPs (under 12.5 oz.)like Speed MP, Prestige MP, lighter princes, Bab, etc. I can feel this more with the 99s than with the 94s. If I string the 99 with a stiff poly at 58+, it would give me problems. I think that if you use a 2HBH you might prefer the 99s, if you use a 1HBH then you might migrate toward the 94. Even though the 99 is great at the net, for me, the 94 is better. Also the old all-court 94 vs. baseliner 99. The Silver seems stiffer than the Platinum, but this might be weight differences.

Mike

Thanks this helped a lot. I have a 2-handed backhand and I'm a baseliner, so it seems like the 99 would be more my style.

i_heart_ib
05-28-2011, 09:35 AM
As of now, seems like people have a hard time deciding which racket is better. They both have 4 votes

Miami Tiburon
05-28-2011, 09:36 AM
the 94 is my pick . great all around frame

Limpinhitter
05-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Would someone be good enough to explain the differences between the X and Dual series in terms of construction and playing characteristics? Also, why does the Platnum seem to be the more popular other Dual frames on TT?

Thanks!

neverstopplaying
05-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Would someone be good enough to explain the differences between the X and Dual series in terms of construction and playing characteristics? Also, why does the Platnum seem to be the more popular other Dual frames on TT?

Thanks!

There is a whole thread that compares x-series to dual-core. As to why the platinums, they are players frames in a tight string pattern, but very easy to swing, stable, comfortable and more powerful than many comparative racquets.

i_heart_ib
05-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Does anyone (TW staff?) know why tennis warehouse has the Platinum 94 listed with a higher stiff rating (65) than the Platinum 99 (61)? Shouldn't they be the same?

UWBTennis
05-28-2011, 02:59 PM

Thanks!

The difference between the X and Dual Series is just another layer of xenecore around the graphite for the Dual Series, Donnay claims this to give the racket more power and reduce vibration, take out of it what you will, but the reviews on TT have seem to be positive so far, as to why they're popular, just read the Donnay thread to find out the owner's opinion.

Agent Orynge
05-28-2011, 03:11 PM
The Donnays don't play like true 99s. Many of the newer ~100 square inch models, from any manufacturer, extend the head equally in all directions - relative to that brands general head shape, that is. Donnays have a more traditional oval shaped head, but the 99s extend further towards the yoke, with little additional expansion at 3 and 9 o' clock. The effect is similar to the Dunlop Biomimetic 200 Plus (for those of you who have seen one up close), only not as pronounced. Basically, the string plane is rather narrow on the 99s, the sweetspot extends downwards, and the overall effect is a 99 that hits more like a 95 or lower.

i_heart_ib
05-28-2011, 04:34 PM
The Donnays don't play like true 99s. Many of the newer ~100 square inch models, from any manufacturer, extend the head equally in all directions - relative to that brands general head shape, that is. Donnays have a more traditional oval shaped head, but the 99s extend further towards the yoke, with little additional expansion at 3 and 9 o' clock. The effect is similar to the Dunlop Biomimetic 200 Plus (for those of you who have seen one up close), only not as pronounced. Basically, the string plane is rather narrow on the 99s, the sweetspot extends downwards, and the overall effect is a 99 that hits more like a 95 or lower.

So does the 94 hit more like a 90?

highgeer
05-28-2011, 05:35 PM
No, it hits like a 94. The 99s are elongated 94s.

Mike

Agent Orynge
05-28-2011, 06:01 PM
No, it hits like a 94. The 99s are elongated 94s.

Mike

Which makes the extra surface area pretty pointless, if you ask me. All you get for the effort is a diluted sweetspot and a little forgiveness in the bottom of the hoop.

i_heart_ib
05-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Which makes the extra surface area pretty pointless, if you ask me. All you get for the effort is a diluted sweetspot and a little forgiveness in the bottom of the hoop.

So you would say that the 94 is better?

Just wondering, but is the handle of both rackets the same length?

highgeer
05-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Both rackets are 27 inches. There is a little bit more throat area in the 94.
Whereas in the 99, the hoop extends down toward the handle.
Mike

Agent Orynge
05-28-2011, 06:38 PM
So you would say that the 94 is better?

Just wondering, but is the handle of both rackets the same length?

'Better' infers a degree of objectivity that I'm not entirely certain is possible. Any racquet can be 'better' or worse, but it all depends on the player. You have to decide for yourself which racquet is optimal for your game.

skeeter
05-28-2011, 08:21 PM
There is a whole thread that compares x-series to dual-core. As to why the platinums, they are players frames in a tight string pattern, but very easy to swing, stable, comfortable and more powerful than many comparative racquets.

As you may recall, I currently play with Londons and I believe you did at one point. Did you try out other Donnays (Gold, Silver in particular) before settling on the Platinum? And why did you choose the 99 (isn't that what you're using?) as opposed to the 94? Am considering demo'ing each (and maybe Golds) but was curious about how you got to where you are now after playing with the London. Thanks.

i_heart_ib
05-29-2011, 09:42 AM
As you may recall, I currently play with Londons and I believe you did at one point. Did you try out other Donnays (Gold, Silver in particular) before settling on the Platinum? And why did you choose the 99 (isn't that what you're using?) as opposed to the 94? Am considering demo'ing each (and maybe Golds) but was curious about how you got to where you are now after playing with the London. Thanks.

I would like to hear that as well.

Power Player
05-29-2011, 03:35 PM
All you get for the effort is a diluted sweetspot and a little forgiveness in the bottom of the hoop.

Which can be nice on a 2hbh though.

But I agree, the 99s swing like 95s which is another reason I like them.

i_heart_ib
05-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Which can be nice on a 2hbh though.

But I agree, the 99s swing like 95s which is another reason I like them.

Forehand wise, are both rackets similar, or is one better than the other?

Also, kind of unrelated, but if I order a racket from TW, do you know if I could request one of the Platinums with a lower stiffness rating? They said they took the AVERAGE stiffness rating out of their stock of rackets to post as the official stiffness rating of the racket, so there must be some with lower than average stiffness rating right?

i_heart_ib
05-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Also, does 5 square inches really make that much of a difference?

neverstopplaying
05-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Why switch from the London? I was hitting with a pro every day for two weeks while on vacation in April. Pro was using a AG 200 - I was using the London. We switched racquets for fun. Pro said my balls were much heavier and I played considerably better with the Dunlop. I could feel the difference in plow through and directional control, but found the power level quite low.

I picked up some Dunlops as they are cheap I figured I'd play with them while looking for a permanent racquet. I got quite used to the power level, but it was a little demanding and I couldn't dial in a heavy kick serve.

So why the Plat? I can handle the players frames but wanted just a touch of added power. i didn't want to lose any of the positive attributes of the Dunlop. I think the Plat does this best. Wanted to stay with the 18x20 and the spin is crazy for this string pattern - I think this is because for the relatively low SW. Why 99? I play a lot on clay in the summer and feel reassured with the little extra surface area. I don't know if I would get the same spin from the 94?

I strung it up today for the first time with full poly (Cyclone 17) @ 45, and was very,very impressed.

I think that I just have a little too much game for the London, though it is a very good racquet. In some ways they feel similar, but the power is more controllable with the Platinum. They both swing light and you have to be careful not to accelerate too quickly.

Power Player
05-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Also, does 5 square inches really make that much of a difference?

It can for me on clay.

i_heart_ib
05-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Any info or insight on how the Golds compare to the Platinum will also be appreciated

Agent Orynge
05-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Are you going to demo them, or what?

i_heart_ib
05-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Are you going to demo them, or what?

Yeah, but we (me and a friend) only have 2 slots left. First 2 slots are going to be the Volkl Power Bridge 10 Mid and the Prince EXO3 Tour 100. I think right now for the other 2 slots we are leaning towards the Platinum 99 and the Gold 94

i_heart_ib
05-30-2011, 07:34 PM
We were also considering the Dunlop Biometric 200 and the Dunlop Biometric 300 Tour, both received pretty good ratings from TW (83 and 84, respectively). If anyone has tried those rackets and also the Donnay Duel Cores, which ones did you like the most.

Me and my friend are both 4.0 rated players, I'm a baseliner with a western grip for my forehand and a 2-handed backhand. My friend is an all-court playe, also with a western grip for forehands, but he has a 1-handed backhand.

KLE
05-30-2011, 08:28 PM
We were also considering the Dunlop Biometric 200 and the Dunlop Biometric 300 Tour, both received pretty good ratings from TW (83 and 84, respectively). If anyone has tried those rackets and also the Donnay Duel Cores, which ones did you like the most.

Me and my friend are both 4.0 rated players, I'm a baseliner with a western grip for my forehand and a 2-handed backhand. My friend is an all-court playe, also with a western grip for forehands, but he has a 1-handed backhand.

Since you will demo some Dunlop rackets and you are also a 4.0 level, I highly recommend that you should try out the Dunlop 4d 100.

I had Head Microgel: Radical, Prestige Pro, Wilson: Pro Staff 85, NCode 95, Prince: Graphite, TT Warrior, Dunlop: 4D 300, 4D 300 Tour, AG 300, AG 500, AG 500 Tour.

None of the above can beat the 4D 100. Again this is my personal reference in these rackets.

Good luck in racket hunting.

For more info about 4D 100, here the link's thread that people discussed about it:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=211949

Agent Orynge
05-30-2011, 11:31 PM
It sounds to me like you just want to know what the best stick is. You're going to wear out peoples' patience pretty quick if you ask about every racquet under the sun, so just pick some demos, and if you want to try more afterwards, demo again. Meanwhile, feel free to roam the forums for info on particular sticks - there's a club dedicated to almost every one - or cruise TW proper for their product reviews and feedback. There's no shortage of information already out there, you just gotta make the effort and do some research.

Big Tigger
05-31-2011, 07:11 AM
One more question here.

Is the dual finishing (arround the throat) shiny as the X's?

Tx.

BT

Power Player
05-31-2011, 07:15 AM
No it is matte finish and IMO looks better.

tennisfarmer
05-31-2011, 12:37 PM

yes i agree matte finish looks better, i just purchased a plat 99, patiently waiting:)

aimr75
05-31-2011, 04:14 PM

yeah, much prefer matte finishes.. has an interesting texture, almost rubbery.. the blue section at 3/9 on the other hand is quite smooth

i_heart_ib
06-01-2011, 05:56 PM
yes i agree matte finish looks better, i just purchased a plat 99, patiently waiting:)

Be sure to report back and tell us how the 99 is =)

Also, why did you choose the 99 and not the 94? Anything major that you found to be better in the 99?

caprivi
06-01-2011, 08:32 PM
I chose a 94 and am enjoying it a lot. It moves through the air really quickly like the PK black ace mid, but is stiffer--though still comfortable as it has really good shock absorption. It's not as demanding or powerful as a PS88. To me, it's like a cross between a PS88 and a Fischer. Slice is really effortless and the handle is long enough for a two-hander. The grip does seem a bit smaller than most.

i_heart_ib
06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I chose a 94 and am enjoying it a lot. It moves through the air really quickly like the PK black ace mid, but is stiffer--though still comfortable as it has really good shock absorption. It's not as demanding or powerful as a PS88. To me, it's like a cross between a PS88 and a Fischer. Slice is really effortless and the handle is long enough for a two-hander. The grip does seem a bit smaller than most.

Yeah, as a guy with shoulder problems, the stiffness worries me. People are saying that Donnay's "system" is making it so there's less vibration on the arm, but I'm not sure.

JGads
06-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Played tonight with the 94 and 99. Had trouble keeping the ball in with the 99 but played very well with the 94. Further impressions, though a little brief, can be found in the "Diary" thread, but overall found great pop on serve with the 94, extremely easy depth and that superior slicing ability that's a trademark of these frames.

But really, can't properly talk about the frames until I get new string put in. Mine came strung with Donnay's hybrid setup that to me is just plain awful. No feel of the ball, whatsoever. Just wetness. Hope to crisp it up shortly. I'll be putting B5E in one frame, Kirschbaum PLII in the other initially, and then MIGHT try Tour Bite down the line, if I'm still trying to find that desired crispiness.

i_heart_ib
06-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Played tonight with the 94 and 99. Had trouble keeping the ball in with the 99 but played very well with the 94. Further impressions, though a little brief, can be found in the "Diary" thread, but overall found great pop on serve with the 94, extremely easy depth and that superior slicing ability that's a trademark of these frames.

But really, can't properly talk about the frames until I get new string put in. Mine came strung with Donnay's hybrid setup that to me is just plain awful. No feel of the ball, whatsoever. Just wetness. Hope to crisp it up shortly. I'll be putting B5E in one frame, Kirschbaum PLII in the other initially, and then MIGHT try Tour Bite down the line, if I'm still trying to find that desired crispiness.

Any update with the new strings?

tennisfarmer
06-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Be sure to report back and tell us how the 99 is =)

Also, why did you choose the 99 and not the 94? Anything major that you found to be better in the 99?

not really. if i could choose i would of liked a platinum to be a 96 headsize with an open string pattern.I also asked donnay to send me a plat 99 that was 11.5 oz and they said they will:)

JGads
06-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Any update with the new strings?

Nope, was out of town this weekend, will pick it back up this week and report back.

i_heart_ib
06-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Nope, was out of town this weekend, will pick it back up this week and report back.

Alright sounds good.

And dang, seems like the 94 is running away with this thing, 26-12

Limpinhitter
06-05-2011, 08:09 PM

If it's true. I'd like to see a few pics of a 94 on top of a 99 to see how the head shape differs.

el sergento
06-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Just a heads up on these frames. I had a chance to play with a 99 for a couple of days and it's indeed very powerful and very stiff.

I won't get into the specifics, because it's a very special frame with a lot to offer but be advised that it's a very powerful racquet and it's very stiff.

To control the power you pretty much have to string full poly at low tensions. This means that on top of a stiff frame you now have a stiff string bed. Yes, I know, there are some "soft" polys out there but still, a hybrid didn't tame the power for me in this frame, so most likely, full poly is the only way to go.

Now, despite the stiffness, it doesn't really "feel" as stiff as it is, so it's a rather deceiving frame. However, the end result is the same, because of the stiffness, sore joints will probably be even sorer in the morning. No such thing as a free lunch, you want the power, you have to pay the price.

My 0.2c

Power Player
06-06-2011, 09:24 AM
It's not very stiff. I don't think that is accurate wording. Every player who has used mine says it is flexier than their Wilson or Babolat. Those racquets are very stiff, the Platinum is not.

I had a hybrid in it and could easily control the power as well. Look, if all of that is true, I will sell my platinums because I don't want a stiff overpowered racquet that MUST have poly in it. But for me, it honestly was not the case.

They rate the stiffness of the racquet on TW at 61.

But I will be coming off a wrist injury that the Plat allowed me to play through for an extra month when I should have been tapped out. If I encounter all of these issues, I will go to a Black Ace and let everyone know as well to be fair.

el sergento
06-06-2011, 09:49 AM
It's not very stiff at all. This is not true. Every player who has used mine says it is flexier than their Wilson or Babolat. Those racquets are very stiff, the Platinum is not.

I had a hybrid in it and could easily control the power as well. Look, if all of that is true, I will sell my platinums because I don't want a stiff overpowered racquet that MUST have poly in it. But for me, it honestly was not the case.

They rate the stiffness of the racquet on TW at 61.

But I will be coming off a wrist injury that the Plat allowed me to play through for an extra month when I should have been tapped out. If I encounter all of these issues, I will go to a Black Ace and let everyone know as well to be fair.

Well, it's just my experience of course. But how else to explain so much power in this frame if it really isn't that stiff? The SW isn't that high, it's probably well below 330.

Like I said, if feels comfortable, and doesn't feel like a 70 RA racquet, so after one casual hitting session it's normal for folks to think that it's softer than their sticks. And all credit to Donnay for making such a thing possible, their dual core tech really works.

However, as someone with chronic shoulder problems (torn labrum) I can tell you that after 4 good, 2+ hour hitting sessions with the Plat 99 that my shoulder hurt way more than after weeks worth of hitting with my regular frame.

I also started to get pain in my hand for the first time in my life. The tip of my index finger actually went a bit numb on me. Now, I also attribute this to having to squeeze the grip harder because a No.3 grip on a Donnay is smaller than both Wilson and Head.

Either way, I hope your wrist problems recede and that you can continue playing with the Platinums. But, as someone with arm issues, I can tell you that the plats did my shoulder no favors.

The power is indeed addictive, but so are pain killers :)

Power Player
06-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Well we shall see what happens with me, but at that point I would have to go ProKennex for comfort since I have tried every stick in the book.

I got the same hand pain from a few racquets when they had leather grips. Discovered that was giving me problems.

The power comes from the frame being a solid frame. It is not hollow, which is why other racquets have to be so stiff and use wider beams.

el sergento
06-06-2011, 10:07 AM
The power comes from the frame being a solid frame. It is not hollow, which is why other racquets have to be so stiff and use wider beams.

Well, how much of that is marketing really. I have a KPS 88. Dunno if it's solid all the way through, but it is thin beamed and the Plat 99 blows it out of the water when it comes to power.

I'm finally handing the 99 over to it's owner that hasn't even tried it yet. He's used to stiffer frames than me so it'll be interesting to see what he thinks.

Cheers

Power Player
06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
It's truly a solid racquet, even the handle is filled as well when you open it.

athleticstennis
06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I have a donnay blue 99 and I am very interested in the plat 99. If someone wants the blue 99 and doesn`t want to continue with the plat 99 for whatever reason we can arrange a trade

i_heart_ib
06-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Just a heads up on these frames. I had a chance to play with a 99 for a couple of days and it's indeed very powerful and very stiff.

I won't get into the specifics, because it's a very special frame with a lot to offer but be advised that it's a very powerful racquet and it's very stiff.

To control the power you pretty much have to string full poly at low tensions. This means that on top of a stiff frame you now have a stiff string bed. Yes, I know, there are some "soft" polys out there but still, a hybrid didn't tame the power for me in this frame, so most likely, full poly is the only way to go.

Now, despite the stiffness, it doesn't really "feel" as stiff as it is, so it's a rather deceiving frame. However, the end result is the same, because of the stiffness, sore joints will probably be even sorer in the morning. No such thing as a free lunch, you want the power, you have to pay the price.

My 0.2c

Hmm...that's what scares me. Im coming back from an injury, so I dont want to take any risks with another injury.

Does anybody else who has tried the Platinum have any insight on how it feels on your joints?

Power Player
06-09-2011, 09:49 PM
My god man, just demo the racquet.

Agent Orynge
06-10-2011, 12:34 AM
My god man, just demo the racquet.

I second this motion. Do we have a third?

Readers
06-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Well, how much of that is marketing really. I have a KPS 88. Dunno if it's solid all the way through, but it is thin beamed and the Plat 99 blows it out of the water when it comes to power.

I'm finally handing the 99 over to it's owner that hasn't even tried it yet. He's used to stiffer frames than me so it'll be interesting to see what he thinks.

Cheers

88(90)

need I say more?

Limpinhitter
06-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I just picked up a Dual Gold 99 demo. Can't wait to hit with it. It's prestrung from Donnay. Does anyone know what string Donnay prestrings these frames with? The mains look like a Luxilon'ish grey poly. The crosses look similar to Babolat synthetic gut natural.

JGads
06-10-2011, 03:13 PM
I just picked up a Dual Gold 99 demo. Can't wait to hit with it. It's prestrung from Donnay. Does anyone know what string Donnay prestrings these frames with? The mains look like a Luxilon'ish grey poly. The crosses look similar to Babolat synthetic gut natural.

Whatever it is, it's awful. Plays way too mushy. They do themselves a huge disservice by giving people that string to try. But if it's from Donnay, they don't mind if you restring demos. Are they demoing the Duals now?

Limpinhitter
06-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Whatever it is, it's awful. Plays way too mushy. They do themselves a huge disservice by giving people that string to try. But if it's from Donnay, they don't mind if you restring demos. Are they demoing the Duals now?

I didn't get it from Donnay. I got it from a local shop. I was told it was a factory string job. It's got the Donnay logo on it that this shop wouldn't do, so, I'm sure it came that way. Anyway, it looks like a hybrid of some kind of immitation Luxilon/synthetic.

I'm looking for a stick with the comfort and feel of my 4D 300T's, with a little more weight, and a little more pop/sweet-spot in the upper hoop where I make contact on serves and bh's.

Now to get a chance to use it. Lately, there's been no one around to hit. I guess it's too hot for the country club panzies. Reminds my why I took up golf back in the 80's.

Power Player
06-11-2011, 10:42 AM
I had the 4d 300 and am a big fan of Dunlop racquets. I much prefer the donnays though for power. The feel of Dunlops is top notch, but the donnay dual cores have their own magic that is not as muted as the Dunlops, but still as good.

You will get a lot more pop out of the donnay. The demo string job will not give you a good idea of the feel though..so keep that in mind.

Limpinhitter
06-14-2011, 12:13 PM
OK, I demo'd the Donnay Dual Gold 99 over the weekend.

Bottom line is that the racquet was too light for me, but more importantly, too light for the stiff, tightly strung string that came with it from the factory. The combination of a tight, stiff, poly hybrid, and a light weight racquet resulted in a boardy feel that prevented me from being able to make a very meaningful assessment of the racquet.

Volleys were very stable, and the feel and touch was very good considering the string job. But, full swings like groundies and serves were boardy and dead by what I think was the wrong string job for this racquet.

I wish I could be more helpful. I still want to give the Dual Plat 99 a try if the shop gets a demo in. But, I suspect that if those come with the same string job, it will still be too stiff and too tight for that frame as well.

JMHO!

Readers
04-27-2012, 11:11 PM

You seems to be only played with X-series and just assumed the X-duals have the same head shape, which they do NOT.

Don't Let It Bounce
04-28-2012, 07:35 AM
I feel the same way about long, narrow frames. Yeah, the longer mains add some power while the short crosses rein things in, so I can see people liking it, but if I go bigger I'd rather get the higher twistweight and forgiveness of a wider stringbed. For this reason I've taken to measuring the actual width and length of stringbeds, whenever I get around to it.

I have access to a bunch of Donnay demo frames and have gotten around to it. The X-Duals are a little rounder than the X-series, and the X-series 94's are a little rounder than the X-series 99's.

stringbed length and width in mm, est. size using area of ellipse formula, ratio of length to width (~1.39 is Volkl-oval, ~1.31 is Prince-round)

X-Red 94: 322 236 92.5 1.36
X-Red 99: 332 241 97.4 1.38

X-Dual 99: 330 244 98.0 1.35

I don't have measurements for an X-Dual 94. Note that the X-Dual Gold looks much rounder than the others in some photos I've seen, but it measured out the same as the Silver and the Platinum. The photos are apparently distorted.

Readers
04-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I am holding a gold 99, a blue 99, and a BLX pro open 2010, the difference between gold and blue measured to 6mm.

What's interesting is when it come to pro open and gold 99, if you are looking at center cross, due to PWS, gold 99 is actually wider than BLX pro open, which is a considered to have a more rounded head shape, when measured from inside. Although if looking at the longest cross of pro open(which is not the middle one due to PWS), it's about 3-4mm longer than gold.

ZeroSkid
04-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Don't be an idiot and buy this racquet, I bought this racquet, I was too blinded by the look and the thin beam. It is not a good racquet at all.

Player#1
04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
I love the x-blue 94... I thought the platinum was just an updated model of it.

How much differently do the blue 94 and plat 94 play?

Lambo
04-29-2012, 11:58 AM
The platinum 94 is just like a head prestige mid in many ways just more easy to play with

jason586
04-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I have a Platinum 99 on the way that I picked up for a GREAT price. It was supposed to be here today but was delayed, so I will not get it until Wednesday.

I was using the MG Prestige MP. The SW and static weight was perfect, but it did not have the pop I needed. So, I've been using the i.prestige MP, but it is a little too heavy to swing the longer I have to swing it. I could also use a little more pop on winners from the i.prestige. From what I've read, it looks like the Platinum 99 could be the answer. I also picked up an NCode 6.1 95 16x18 a week ago that I've been playing with side-by-side with the i.prestige. The 6.1 definitely has more pop and is more stable than the i.prestige, but I am having some control issues which I think is partly due to the more open pattern than I'm using to and stringing too low with Black Magic at 52lbs. I plan on trying a Vantage 95" as well.

paulorenzo
07-30-2012, 10:45 PM
i've been using a 99 for a few months. it took me a couple months to get comfortable with it after switching from a kps88.

i'm playing fairly well with it now. good direction and depth control. usually able to swing out fairly well using a not so fresh hybrid stringbed without the ball sailing. hitting defensive gets took some adjustment. one really had to get the 88 swinging when in a defensive position to prevent the ball from falling short. naturally they were sailing at first with the 99. i honestly havent noticed a difference between the 88 and 99 with spin production, despite the 99's more closed stringbed. i bought a 94, waiting for it to get here. i'm hoping to find a happy medium between the 99 and 88. i also hope to be able to swing out more fully without fear of the ball going out, like i did with the 88.

i have a 99 weighted to approx 12.8 oz, perhaps more— leather grip, 10oz buttcap weight, two 3oz slide weights at 3 and 9. i havent had a chance to weigh it, i'm actually surprised at the approximation i'm coming up with. it seems off, it means it would weigh more than my 88. i'll know for sure once i get a 9v battery. i plan on weighting the 94 similarly.

sixone90
07-31-2012, 04:22 AM
A bit OT, but I've always wondered if anyone has broken a Donnay and cut it up? Because Donnay advertise it to have a solid core and just wondered if it really is solid and not hollow

ZeroSkid
07-31-2012, 12:43 PM
both lack stability, plow through, feel, power, and spin, I highly recommend you don't get either (owned the 99)

paulorenzo
08-04-2012, 02:29 PM
A bit OT, but I've always wondered if anyone has broken a Donnay and cut it up? Because Donnay advertise it to have a solid core and just wondered if it really is solid and not hollow

here you go

I did go off published specs. They are right off the TW compare racquets. Just check it out for yourself.

But as Agassi says "image is everything" here is why thin Donnay frames play as far thicker frames:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1733/img0820ib.jpg

paulorenzo
08-10-2012, 09:39 PM
my take on the comments regarding the lack of stability, feel, spin, etc:

raw, the 99 is a bit too light in the head, despite being upwards of 12oz strung. coming from a kps88, i definitely noticed the difference. added some weight to 3 and 9. it fixed the stability but felt almost as club-like as the 88, so i tailweighted the racquet and made the racquet more headlight without losing weight or making the racquet less stable.

spin, despite the 99 being a more closed pattern, is just as present in the plat 99 as my 16x19 kps88. i think that's a huge plus considering one shouldn't expect to get massive spin from an 18x19/20 in the first place.

i really liked the feel of the donnays. i consider the feel of donnays in general a more lively version of foam filled prostaffs or a more comfortable version of head prestiges/radicals.

anyway, i've been hitting with the 94 for the last couple of days.
it's more solid feeling than my 99, despite my 99 being 365g.

everything else was as expected, but with more control. i've been swinging freely without fear of my shot sailing too many times, which was my only qualm with the 99.