PDA

View Full Version : Vibration dampner

tennisfanireland94
05-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Hi guys, I bought the Wilson BLX Blade 98 yesterday and hit for about an hour just to get the feel of it.
I was wondering, should I put a vibration dampner on it?
I'm not entirely sure what they actually bring to the racquet, and would like some help or advice on this

Thanks

Up&comer
05-28-2011, 03:23 AM
Hi guys, I bought the Wilson BLX Blade 98 yesterday and hit for about an hour just to get the feel of it.
I'm not entirely sure what they actually bring to the racquet, and would like some help or advice on this

Thanks

I can almost guarantee that you will get 50 posters saying it won't make a difference and 50 more will say they can't play without one.

I personally use one simply because I've always used one.

The thing people fail to adress is the simple fact that if you put something on the string bed, the string bed is going to react differently. This difference is negligible to some people and others may actually notice it. I think if you put a vibra fun smiley face it won't make a noticible difference, but I think when people put those huge worms on their racket, I think it does make a noticible difference in play.

cellofaan
05-28-2011, 04:11 AM
Sound is a big factor in tennis. If a good shot also sounds good, it will feel better. Vibration dampeners change the sound the racquet/strings make.

If it's a really heavy dampener (like the worm things), it can also noticably affect weight and balance.

And indeed, change the stringbed response.

Marcus
05-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Just try it...... see what you think !!

go with whatever floats your boat

baba123
05-28-2011, 12:55 PM
try and find out whats the worst thatb can happen if you use a dumbee for a hour

Satch
05-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Thanks

cant be described... try it you may like it

TheBoom
05-29-2011, 07:55 AM
It makes the racket sound better imo and it feels like the stiffness drops a bit as well

Djlpenguin
05-29-2011, 08:50 AM
It makes the racket sound better imo and it feels like the stiffness drops a bit as well

Some might argue it makes the bed feel dead and unresponsive. IMO the only way to find out is to try it yourself. It's a personal preference issue.

Alzer
05-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Tried a few times, sometimes i like it but mostly i dont... it seems to spoil feedback from the stringbed imo.

TheBoom
05-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Some might argue it makes the bed feel dead and unresponsive. IMO the only way to find out is to try it yourself. It's a personal preference issue.

It does in some ways but "dead" stringbeds don't bug me because it is a more controled feel imo

UkeSoap
05-29-2011, 10:58 AM
I agree with dampeners changing the sound when you hit the ball. I use the Sampras O dampener because it makes my racquet feel better to me when i hit a ball.

TimothyO
05-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I use a small rubber band and don't notice any difference in feel or performance.

The only difference as far as I can tell is in sound. Without a dampener strings can sound tinny or metallic. With one I get a nice thuump sound.

But I did switch from a standard dampener to a rubber band due to weight. Some dampaners can weigh as much as 7 grams! A small bubber band weighs a gram or less and still does the job.

fuzz nation
05-29-2011, 03:32 PM
No biggie - just try one.

Some racquet and string combinations have more or less residual ringing to them right after contact. Pop a dampener in there to see if you care for the sound and feel one way or the other. I personally like to use Andre Agassi's favorite; the good ol' Staples #64 rubber band. Once I tie it in there, it can't pop out and I can put it across only four mains or maybe eight if I want more dampening effect.

tennisfanireland94
05-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I'll probably give it a go and see what happens, as some of you said, what's the worst that can happen?

yonexpurestorm
05-29-2011, 03:49 PM
i always use a dampner. it helped my tennis elbow. i can feel a huge difference in the racket. i hate that vibration boing feel without the dampner. i used to use the worm, but now i huse a large rubber band and wind it through 8 strings. works perfect. not as muted feeling as the worm but just perfect amount of dampning on multiple strings across the racket. i love how people think it looks ghetto, but they change their mind when the get a screaming forhand passing them down the line.

fuzz nation
05-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I'll probably give it a go and see what happens, as some of you said, what's the worst that can happen?

Exactamundo! If you hate it, just pop the thing out and pocket it. Feel is a largely subjective issue, so go with what you like.