PDA

View Full Version : head youtek ig instinct review

freeez
05-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Got a chance last night to play with new instinct mp 300g with new head string fxp tour(multi).
About myself: rated a 4.0 by the pros at my club. baseline player with a moderate spin game(300 a lot more spin than 200). This last year I've been playing with weighted up dunlops 4d300 and 4d200 16x19.

I liked it the look of the racket. Someone had written "Tron" like design, I see what they meant.
First impression:
really open string pattern, seems wider than the tfights.
feels very very very light.
extremely comfortable set up as tested. very stable but I didn't hit with one of the hard hitters.
the craziest spin I have ever imparted on a ball. I played with my 6'2 friend and ground strokes were bouncing above his shoulders when hitting lightly. By far more spin than my 300 and the tfight 295 that I have tried.
Funny thing is that the faster I swung the ball dip was much more pronounced and the ball stayed very deep and always in. I caught my self surprised on many occasion that the ball stayed in.
I will test again this week. I believe this is the racket that will replace my daughter's tfight.
I'll update later this week.

Ten_nuts
05-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi Freeez, and thanks for posting. I am also very interested in this racquet. Could you please post a few closed-up pics? Why don't you have it setup to your current racquets? I mean you can re-string your own strings, put some lead tape on it. Hope you have a serious hitting partner and write something about it. Thanks.

freeez
05-28-2011, 02:11 PM
The racket had just come in to the shop from Head and they had it already set up with a new string that is supposed to come out later in the summer. I believe it is called FXP Tour(very soft multi). I tried it out of curiosity and the shop owner wanted feedback on the racket.
I'll get some pics as soon as I can.

jchl97
05-28-2011, 11:22 PM
any pics of it? thx

Ten_nuts
05-30-2011, 05:47 AM
I hope you's weigh it up to the Dunlop 4D 16x19 and compare with it to see how high the stiffness of the new Utek IG Instinct MP. Thanks.

HurricaneDominic
05-30-2011, 05:56 AM
I heard Berdych will use the Head YouTek IG Instinct and Sharapova will use the S version.
I also heard that both of them are using Paint Jobs, so they don't actually use the racket.
I think the PJ looks great, but the actual shape of the rackets isn't very attractive to me. I wish I would get an Extreme or Radical with the same PJ.
Anyway, thanks for the review. I'm intrigued!

Jack Romeo
05-31-2011, 11:49 AM
this makes me wanna go back to the instinct line...

Pure Babs
05-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Looking forward to the pics.

captainobvious
06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I've got one of the youtek Instinct S versions out on demo right now. (I believe the difference between this and the MP is that the S is a pt HH and is I think a 102 head size, vs the 1 or 2 pts HL and 100 head size of the MP)
Its a very light racquet that is pretty evenly balanced and has a nice feel to it. Played about 2 sets with it this week and Im really liking it. For reference Im about a 3.0 player with a medium swing/speed and Im currently using the Prince O3 Hybrid Hornet OS. It gets good spin on the ball and for me it had a nice feel on impact. Not too mushy and not too sharp. Its a tad light at the head for me as i need a little more weight to control my awful serve. I had them put a little lead tape at 12 and will give it another go this week. The frame is pretty thin and small profile which is a bit different for me moving down in size from the hornet. The shop pro's were very excited about this racquet...I dont know enough yet about it to say for sure, but Im definitely liking it so far. Need to get more 2HBH and serving in this weekend to see where its at. Im loving the forehand strokes though.

captainobvious
06-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Looking forward to the pics.

I'll take some pics of the "S" version and post them up for you later. ;)

Fedace
06-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Got a chance last night to play with new instinct mp 300g with new head string fxp tour(multi).
About myself: rated a 4.0 by the pros at my club. baseline player with a moderate spin game(300 a lot more spin than 200). This last year I've been playing with weighted up dunlops 4d300 and 4d200 16x19.

I liked it the look of the racket. Someone had written "Tron" like design, I see what they meant.
First impression:
extremely comfortable set up as tested. very stable but I didn't hit with one of the hard hitters.
the craziest spin I have ever imparted on a ball. I played with my 6'2 friend and ground strokes were bouncing above his shoulders when hitting lightly. By far more spin than my 300 and the tfight 295 that I have tried.
Funny thing is that the faster I swung the ball dip was much more pronounced and the ball stayed very deep and always in. I caught my self surprised on many occasion that the ball stayed in.
I will test again this week. I believe this is the racket that will replace my daughter's tfight.

I am moving back into USTA 5.0 with this racket. i plan on extending it to 27.3 inches to get more power and reach..

Fedace
06-03-2011, 10:28 AM

First impression:

do you think it will change alot if i extend the frame to 27.3 inches ?? thanks

ryushen21
06-03-2011, 10:48 AM
do you think it will change alot if i extend the frame to 27.3 inches ?? thanks

Actually one of my friends (sponsored Head player) said that the racquet is absolutely perfect when extended to 27.437221in. At that length he said it was simply the greatest frame he had ever played with.

Fedace
06-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Actually one of my friends (sponsored Head player) said that the racquet is absolutely perfect when extended to 27.437221in. At that length he said it was simply the greatest frame he had ever played with.

Is that really true ?? Are you sure about this ? do you have a picture?

Fedace
06-03-2011, 02:07 PM

ryushen21
06-03-2011, 02:37 PM

All I know is that he modded all of his the same way. He played two matches in an open tourney today and won the first 2 and 1 and the second 0 and 2...

Fedace
06-03-2011, 07:22 PM
All I know is that he modded all of his the same way. He played two matches in an open tourney today and won the first 2 and 1 and the second 0 and 2...

why 27.432222 inches ?? is that a joke ? was it more like 27.4 or 27.5 inches ? I originally thought of 27.5 inches but then, i thought that would increase the Swing weight too much. Longer you make the racket, higher the Swing weight. You can't avoid this.

captainobvious
06-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Instinct S. Pics as promised...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/TennisRacquets004.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/TennisRacquets003.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/TennisRacquets002.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/TennisRacquets001.jpg

Fedace
06-05-2011, 11:59 AM
^^^Looks bigger than 100 square inches ?

Fedace
06-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I am hearing about the Maasive spin potential of this racket. How does it compare to some of the other spin friendly rackets like Yonex RQIS 2 -tour ?

ryushen21
06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
why 27.432222 inches ?? is that a joke ? was it more like 27.4 or 27.5 inches ? I originally thought of 27.5 inches but then, i thought that would increase the Swing weight too much. Longer you make the racket, higher the Swing weight. You can't avoid this.

Actually it was entirely by accident. He was attempting to extend to 27.5 but didn't measure accurately. Instead of trying again he just went with it. After it worked so well he got measured with a laser and that's what it came out to. He is kind of a superstitious guy so he had all the others modded the exact same way as well.

Fedace
06-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Actually it was entirely by accident. He was attempting to extend to 27.5 but didn't measure accurately. Instead of trying again he just went with it. After it worked so well he got measured with a laser and that's what it came out to. He is kind of a superstitious guy so he had all the others modded the exact same way as well.

What do you think about the spin potential of this racket ? does it compare to some of the spinniest racket out there like Yonex RQIS tour-2 racket ? and how does this racket serve ?

ryushen21
06-06-2011, 06:10 AM
What do you think about the spin potential of this racket ? does it compare to some of the spinniest racket out there like Yonex RQIS tour-2 racket ? and how does this racket serve ?

Not sure. I don't play with it. I prefer racquets that an actual man would use. Heavy, small headed, dense patterned, head light beast frames.

bertrevert
06-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Well those photos look nice but what does it play like?

Esp compared let's say to earlier versions. I recall the LM version had an undefined sweet spot and it felt v mushy.

(ps. You know how people complain about squeeky buttcaps, this one wouldn't sort of shriek would it?)

bertrevert
06-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Not sure. I don't play with it. I prefer racquets that an actual man would use. Heavy, small headed, dense patterned, head light beast frames.

I think women can play quite well with mids too, but as an older frame style they tend to quite rightly choose from some of the more germane frames on offer, ones that suit their game or physique or whatever. I know a great girl player with the LM version of the Instinct, plays great she does. Yet also a top male club player does right well against the bab PD-wielding club champ. I think the Instinct has demonstrably wide appeal therefore.

captainobvious
06-06-2011, 06:34 AM
^^^Looks bigger than 100 square inches ?

The S version is 102sq inches, yup ;)

tailofdog
06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I think women can play quite well with mids too, but as an older frame style they tend to quite rightly choose from some of the more germane frames on offer, ones that suit their game or physique or whatever. I know a great girl player with the LM version of the Instinct, plays great she does. Yet also a top male club player does right well against the bab PD-wielding club champ. I think the Instinct has demonstrably wide appeal therefore.

I had 2 models of INSTINCT'S and both would qualify as Special frames!

bobbything
06-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I've played with this racquet and didn't really notice the ability to generate any more spin than any other frame. It's solid, and is similar (in looks and feel) to the old Trisys series that Head had out a number of years ago.

It's worth testing out IMO.

bobbything
06-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Also, it plays pretty much nothing like the previous Instincts. The Head rep said that it's similar in name only.

Fedace
06-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Does the Local Head reps have this DEMO already ? should i ask them ?

captainobvious
06-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Does the Local Head reps have this DEMO already ? should i ask them ?

They *should*...the local proshops have 'em... ;)

Fedace
06-08-2011, 06:59 PM
They *should*...the local proshops have 'em... ;)

I didn't see em in the local pro shop. the racket hasn't been released yet. Where, in what city or state do they have them ?

etd
06-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Anyone else try out this racquet?

JackB1
06-28-2011, 11:36 AM
these are now available for presale!

cayzi
07-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Instinct S. Pics as promised...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/TennisRacquets004.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/TennisRacquets003.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/TennisRacquets002.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/soesnake/Tennis%20Racquets/TennisRacquets001.jpg

captainobvious: I notice on that pictures that you are also using EXo3 White. Can you please compare those two racket for me.

Many thanks!!!

iMpro
07-23-2011, 07:56 PM

This may be a dumb question, but how do you extend a racquet?

jottect
08-01-2011, 04:58 AM
This may be a dumb question, but how do you extend a racquet?

I second that...

movdqa
08-01-2011, 05:43 AM
4 grams of lead between 11:00 and 1:00?

naturallight
08-01-2011, 06:54 AM
I saw it at the club yesterday and I thought the head shape looked kind of weird. It looks like the top part of the hoop is squished--not a symetrical oval. Almost like an egg shape.

Also, I definitely believe the comments about the spin potential--it has one of the most open string patterns I've seen in a while.

captainobvious
08-01-2011, 08:52 AM
captainobvious: I notice on that pictures that you are also using EXo3 White. Can you please compare those two racket for me.

Many thanks!!!

I wasnt a big fan of the white. Too much vibration feeling in the arm/wrist and not much control. The Instinct had none of this. The S version is certainly too light for me though, as even the MP version is a bit light. They are about an ounce different in static weight, but they are balanced differently so they dont feel *that* much different weight wise.

The MP is a very nice frame for sure

parasailing
08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I wasnt a big fan of the white. Too much vibration feeling in the arm/wrist and not much control. The Instinct had none of this. The S version is certainly too light for me though, as even the MP version is a bit light. They are about an ounce different in static weight, but they are balanced differently so they dont feel *that* much different weight wise.

The MP is a very nice frame for sure

How would this compare to say a Head Youtek Radical MP or Babolat Pure Storm GT? I generally don't like 100 sq in racquets as I tried the Head Radical Pro and it was just too springy. Have you also had a chance to hit with that?

JackB1
08-01-2011, 12:01 PM
I have a MP coming this week. I think I will start by adding 4 g's at 3/9 and 6 g's on the handle and see how that plays. I am pretty sure it will feel too light stock for me.

parasailing
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a MP coming this week. I think I will start by adding 4 g's at 3/9 and 6 g's on the handle and see how that plays. I am pretty sure it will feel too light stock for me.

You have been testing heavier racquets so I am curious to what you find in regards to the stability of the racquet compared to the Volkl 10 295 and Pure Storm Tour GT.

JackB1
08-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Tried the Instinct tonite. Like it a lot so far. I added 4gs at 3/9 and 6 in the handle. Plays very nice. Easy to get good depth without being too powerful. Seems like an easy frame to use and felt pretty comfortable for such a high stiffness rating. It's a little light stock, but felt pretty solid with just 10gs added.

BigM
08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Tried the Instinct tonite. Like it a lot so far. I added 4gs at 3/9 and 6 in the handle. Plays very nice. Easy to get good depth without being too powerful. Seems like an easy frame to use and felt pretty comfortable for such a high stiffness rating. It's a little light stock, but felt pretty solid with just 10gs added.

Wait for the x8 315 Jack. Its incredible.

JackB1
08-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Wait for the x8 315 Jack. Its incredible.

I wish it would come out already! Have u tried the new IG Instinct? It may be a better fit for my 3.5 level game. I like the X300, but wish the swingweight was a little lower than 335. Sounds like the 315 might be right in my wheelhouse? The Instict surprised me. It was 325 g's with overgrip and dampener. Not all that light. The sw was around 312 stock. It doesn't need any more static weight. Just a little more swingweight. I'll maybe add a little lead tape at 12' or 2/10. Might try it stock too for a while. I don't want it TOO whippy, but I think it won't take much to get this racquet feeling right.

captainobvious
08-09-2011, 07:02 AM
I wish it would come out already! Have u tried the new IG Instinct? It may be a better fit for my 3.5 level game. I like the X300, but wish the swingweight was a little lower than 335. Sounds like the 315 might be right in my wheelhouse? The Instict surprised me. It was 325 g's with overgrip and dampener. Not all that light. The sw was around 312 stock. It doesn't need any more static weight. Just a little more swingweight. I'll maybe add a little lead tape at 12' or 2/10. Might try it stock too for a while. I don't want it TOO whippy, but I think it won't take much to get this racquet feeling right.

I had a feeling that would be your thoughts on this one. Its a great racquet, but a tad light. Serves very well and is both comfortable and powerful with really good spin. I'd probably take it over the x8 because of the better serving (for me) and the other attributes being close to a wash. I also like the balance of the Instinct better.
You really need to try the Donnay XP Dual based on your comments from the other racquets weve both demo'd. I think you'd really like that one as well.
I'll shoot you an email...

JackB1
08-09-2011, 07:08 AM
I had a feeling that would be your thoughts on this one. Its a great racquet, but a tad light. Serves very well and is both comfortable and powerful with really good spin. I'd probably take it over the x8 because of the better serving (for me) and the other attributes being close to a wash. I also like the balance of the Instinct better.

The X8 vs the IG Instinct is a tough one. I seemed to have an easier time controlling the power of the Instinct than I do with the X8...not sure why.
The X8's swingweight is a little too heavy at 330 and the Instincts is a little too light at 310, but I can always add some lead tape to the Instinct. The Instinct also feels less weighty in the hoop than the X8, which I like. I have a hard time on overheads with the X8 due to it's higher swingweight.

captainobvious
08-09-2011, 07:13 AM
The X8 vs the IG Instinct is a tough one. I seemed to have an easier time controlling the power of the Instinct than I do with the X8...not sure why.
The X8's swingweight is a little too heavy at 330 and the Instincts is a little too light at 310, but I can always add some lead tape to the Instinct. The Instinct also feels less weighty in the hoop than the X8, which I like. I have a hard time on overheads with the X8 due to it's higher swingweight.

I felt the same way. The balance of the x8 is a little head heavy and you can feel the mass in the hoop. This made it harder for me on serves, and likewise for you on overheads. I think this weight distribution is why its harder to control the x8 power as well. I also think the Instinct has a little more open string pattern which enables you to generate more topspin, keeping balls in easier.

PS- email sent about the Donnay

captainobvious
08-09-2011, 07:20 AM
How would this compare to say a Head Youtek Radical MP or Babolat Pure Storm GT? I generally don't like 100 sq in racquets as I tried the Head Radical Pro and it was just too springy. Have you also had a chance to hit with that?

The Radical MP is heavier, feels a little more weighted toward the head than the instinct, has less power and (to me) is a little less comfortable on the arm. The PSGT was very stable, had good spin and power although less than the instinct, and also was a little less comfortable for me despite being a lower RA. The Radical MP I demod was also a little springy, but it could have been the string job. I havent hit with the Radical Pro, nope.

JackB1
08-09-2011, 07:23 AM
I felt the same way. The balance of the x8 is a little head heavy and you can feel the mass in the hoop. This made it harder for me on serves, and likewise for you on overheads. I think this weight distribution is why its harder to control the x8 power as well. I also think the Instinct has a little more open string pattern which enables you to generate more topspin, keeping balls in easier.

What strings and tension combo did u find that work well in the Instinct?
You think I should go poly/gut or gut/poly? I would like to soften things up,
since the racquet has a very high (69) stiffness rating. I am just worried if I use gut in the mains, the power will be very high. My current demo has Sonic Pro mains and a multi in the crosses and plays very nice.

captainobvious
08-09-2011, 07:29 AM
What strings and tension combo did u find that work well in the Instinct?
You think I should go poly/gut or gut/poly? I would like to soften things up,
since the racquet has a very high (69) stiffness rating. I am just worried if I use gut in the mains, the power will be very high. My current demo has Sonic Pro mains and a multi in the crosses and plays very nice.

I actually liked the mid tension head (FXP?) that it was strung with when I recieved the demo. :)
But I would probably try a poly (M)/syn gut (C) mix to see how it plays...it works well on my XP Dual.

cayzi
08-09-2011, 07:36 AM
poly (M)/syn gut (C) mix to see how it plays...it works well on my XP Dual.

What tension are you using on XP Dual?

captainobvious
08-09-2011, 07:41 AM
What tension are you using on XP Dual?

I dont know the exact strung tension. I havent changed out the strings yet and I had it strung at "mid tension" from Donnay. So I would ASSume, that it would be about 55lbs, maybe 53/54 on the poly. ;)

cayzi
08-09-2011, 07:47 AM
I dont know the exact strung tension. I havent changed out the strings yet and I had it strung at "mid tension" from Donnay. So I would ASSume, that it would be about 55lbs, maybe 53/54 on the poly. ;)

But it does feel different compare to X8. More light as well or differently balanced...

I hope that this thing can provide some power. It feels light. :)

JackB1
08-09-2011, 08:16 AM
But it does feel different compare to X8. More light as well or differently balanced...

I hope that this thing can provide some power. It feels light. :)

Did u pick up a IG Instinct demo Cayzi?

gamerx52986
08-09-2011, 12:04 PM
For a player currently using the Youtek Radicai expect from the Instinct? I love my radicals but a brief fling with the Speed 18x20 has me looking for something else. What I liked about the speed was the extra pop/stability I got and ease of hitting heavy deep shots. My dislikes were a constant wrist pain felt afterwards. I was using both Multifeel and NRG2 and had issues. Radicals are strung identically and I have zero issues. So far I've trier the Becker London,Volkl Pb9 ,Blx Pro Open and liked each one. I'm thinking the Instinct would easily give extra pop and be a easy transition as I'm familiar with the head grip shape already. My only concerns are the flex rating of 69 possibly being an issue and its stability against hard shots. The London thus far has been my favorite for all categories .

levy1
08-09-2011, 12:28 PM
For a player currently using the Youtek Radicai expect from the Instinct? I love my radicals but a brief fling with the Speed 18x20 has me looking for something else. What I liked about the speed was the extra pop/stability I got and ease of hitting heavy deep shots. My dislikes were a constant wrist pain felt afterwards. I was using both Multifeel and NRG2 and had issues. Radicals are strung identically and I have zero issues. So far I've trier the Becker London,Volkl Pb9 ,Blx Pro Open and liked each one. I'm thinking the Instinct would easily give extra pop and be a easy transition as I'm familiar with the head grip shape already. My only concerns are the flex rating of 69 possibly being an issue and its stability against hard shots. The London thus far has been my favorite for all categories .

Mine too! I have tried the above and now hitting the pro kennex destiny 290 demo which has beat out several others in the same weight class. Awaiting another London to make sure I dont make a mistake and buy my 20th wrong racket.

JackB1
08-09-2011, 01:12 PM

The new IG Instinct doesn't have the traditional Head grip shape. It has the more square, Speed like grip. The Radical though is much more flexible than the stiffer Speed, which is why you got wrist pain with the Speed. The IG Instinct may or may not give you pain. It's stiff but doesn't feel stiff to me.
But only way to know for sure is to demo. It does have a little more power than the Speed or Radical. Its also very solid for it's weight, so unless you are playing 4.5 level or higher, you won't have stability issues. Also, adding leadtape at 3/9 will help with that.

I also liked the London, but had trouble getting pace on my serves with it.
Your Radical should have had more pop than the Speed 18x20. If anything, they are very comparable in power.

gamerx52986
08-09-2011, 02:20 PM
The new IG Instinct doesn't have the traditional Head grip shape. It has the more square, Speed like grip. The Radical though is much more flexible than the stiffer Speed, which is why you got wrist pain with the Speed. The IG Instinct may or may not give you pain. It's stiff but doesn't feel stiff to me.
But only way to know for sure is to demo. It does have a little more power than the Speed or Radical. Its also very solid for it's weight, so unless you are playing 4.5 level or higher, you won't have stability issues. Also, adding leadtape at 3/9 will help with that.

Your Radical should have had more pop than the Speed 18x20. If anything, they are very comparable in power.

Jack...I'm currently a 3.5 so I guess the stability shouldn't be an issue. As you mention lead tape would be a quick remedy. Thanks for the heads up on the Instincts grip shape. I had no problem with the grip on the Speed when I used it. As for my Radical having more pop...I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly. I have pop with both racquets but the Speed just hit a heavier ball that hit deeper in the court with ease. I'm not sure if it was the overall weight or flex or combination that caused the wrist pains with the Speed but I know I don't want them to return. I'll most likely demo the Instinct this coming weekend and go from there. On the London..maybe I'm lucky but I was able to hit with both pace and accuracy on serve when I tried it. What stood out for me was its control. Though the BLX Pro Open really surprised me as for being a powerful racquet, it had contollable power. I guess that I'm basically trying to find a arm friendly racquet that offers some pop yet has manageable control.

BigM
08-09-2011, 09:32 PM

I have been currently using the speed IG 16x19 and really liking it. How would you compare the IG instinct to your Speeds? Also I can't help but think the X8 315 is going to be "The One" for you. It combines the best attributes of the X8 300 with a higher static weight and lower Swing weight. I was also getting more dwell time on the ball with the X8 315. Trying the IG Instinct tonight.

levy1
08-09-2011, 09:36 PM
I have been currently using the speed IG 16x19 and really liking it. How would you compare the IG instinct to your Speeds? Also I can't help but think the X8 315 is going to be "The One" for you. It combines the best attributes of the X8 300 with a higher static weight and lower Swing weight. I was also getting more dwell time on the ball with the X8 315. Trying the IG Instinct tonight.
Will you guys please return the demos so I can try one?

JackB1
08-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Jack...I'm currently a 3.5 so I guess the stability shouldn't be an issue. As you mention lead tape would be a quick remedy. Thanks for the heads up on the Instincts grip shape. I had no problem with the grip on the Speed when I used it. As for my Radical having more pop...I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly. I have pop with both racquets but the Speed just hit a heavier ball that hit deeper in the court with ease. I'm not sure if it was the overall weight or flex or combination that caused the wrist pains with the Speed but I know I don't want them to return. I'll most likely demo the Instinct this coming weekend and go from there. On the London..maybe I'm lucky but I was able to hit with both pace and accuracy on serve when I tried it. What stood out for me was its control. Though the BLX Pro Open really surprised me as for being a powerful racquet, it had contollable power. I guess that I'm basically trying to find a arm friendly racquet that offers some pop yet has manageable control.

For me, the Speed hit a deeper ball because it seemed to have a "loopier" trajectory than other racquets and this often resulted in a deeper ball with my same normal rally stroke. I had to adjust a little at first and aim slightly lower to the net.

JackB1
08-10-2011, 07:37 AM

I also really liked the IG Speed 16x19, but it had a slightly "hollow" or less satisfying feel than the X8-300. The Speed 315 has the PERFECT static weight and swingweight for me though. I should try and emulate that with all my future racquets.

I am anxious to try the X8-315. The lower swingweight sounds more to my liking than the lower static weight/higher swingweight of the 300. It may very well turn out to be "the one", but I need to get one and soon! :)

Let me know what u think of the IG Instinct. I really like it so far. It is a tad too light in stock form, so I have to figure out how and where to add weight to it? My demo was already 325 grams, so I don't want to add too much more...just enough to up the swingweight a little.

To be honest....I could easily make the IG Speed 315, X8-200 or the IG Instinct my #1 racquet and be OK with any of them....all great racquets in their own way.

JackB1
08-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Just got a couple of new Instincts and I strung the 1st one up and it came out to 329 grams with overgrip and dampener! I am surprised these are that much heavier than TW's specs? The demo I weighed was 325. TW is saying "strung weight" is 309? But I am glad they are coming in heavier.

The grommet holes on the Instinct are the tightest I have ever seen. I had to really "push" to get my 16g gut through some of the holes. It's also weird how you don't skip any mains and the first 2 crosses on the top and bottom share the holes with the 2 outer mains. Wasn't a problem poking the crosses through though, but it might be a pain with any string that's not firm?

Can't wait to try my new Instinct out. I strung it with nat gut mains at 55 and Black Venom crosses at 51. The range is 48-57 on this racquet.

captainobvious
08-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Just got a couple of new Instincts and I strung the 1st one up and it came out to 329 grams with overgrip and dampener! I am surprised these are that much heavier than TW's specs? The demo I weighed was 325. TW is saying "strung weight" is 309? But I am glad they are coming in heavier.

The grommet holes on the Instinct are the tightest I have ever seen. I had to really "push" to get my 16g gut through some of the holes. It's also weird how you don't skip any mains and the first 2 crosses on the top and bottom share the holes with the 2 outer mains. Wasn't a problem poking the crosses through though, but it might be a pain with any string that's not firm?

Can't wait to try my new Instinct out. I strung it with nat gut mains at 55 and Black Venom crosses at 51. The range is 48-57 on this racquet.

Count me in as interested to hear the results ;)

JackB1
08-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Just played for an hour at lunch with my new IG Instinct. Liked it a lot. The string setup (gut/copoly) I put in there was great. Not too much power, but enough. Tension seemed perfect (55/51). Racquet felt heavier than I was expecting. No need to add any weight at all. For some reason, the demo I had last week felt lighter and whippier? I'll have to see what my 2nd one specs out to after I dress it up.

Not sure yet if I like the IG Instinct better than the X8-300? I also want to try the X-315 when it comes out in a couple of weeks. Then I will make my decision on one of those 3.

cayzi
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
JackB1 I really can not believe that you got so heavy Instinct.

My demos was obvious more light than X8, XP Dual etc...

My Donnay XP Dual is with strings, overgrip + dampener = 320g

cayzi
08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Count me in as interested to hear the results ;)

I am interested how your XP Dual weights with all the stuff on it?

JackB1
08-11-2011, 11:00 AM
JackB1 I really can not believe that you got so heavy Instinct.

My demos was obvious more light than X8, XP Dual etc...

My Donnay XP Dual is with strings, overgrip + dumper = 320g

It's "dampener"....not dumper!
The "dumper" is the bathroom :)

Yes, I am not sure why my Instinct is almost 20 grams heavier than what TW says? They came straight from Head. Brand new in plastic.
I have a 2nd one that I haven't strung yet. I am wondering how heavy that one will be?

parasailing
08-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I got some demos of Instinct MP, Instinct S, Organix 8, and Pure Storm Team GT to hit with.

The first racquet up was the Instinct S and that is just not for me. It felt a bit too hollow and I couldn't keep the ball in play. I was spraying balls all over the court.

The Instinct MP feels pretty nice offer a flexy feel and good control but doesn't have as much oomph as the Organix 8 or Team GT. It was beter than the S and the IG definitely helps give it a dampen feel. I can't wait till the new Radical MP IG when it comes out next year.

The Organix 8 was the racquet that surprised me the most. I wasn't expecting this racquet to be such a solid hitting one. My demo felt more head heavy than the 4pts HL spec on TW though. I was also surprise the grip felt more comfortable. Does anyone know if this is the same pallet as the Organix 10 since it doesn't feel like it. This one feels more round and way more comfortable for me than the Organix 10 295.

The Pure Storm Team GT was the racquet that stood out for me. It was like hitting with a lighter version of the Tour GT which is my racquet of choice. It was solid and offer good power and control.

JackB1
08-13-2011, 06:25 PM
I got some demos of Instinct MP, Instinct S, Organix 8, and Pure Storm Team GT to hit with.

The first racquet up was the Instinct S and that is just not for me. It felt a bit too hollow and I couldn't keep the ball in play. I was spraying balls all over the court.

The Instinct MP feels pretty nice offer a flexy feel and good control but doesn't have as much oomph as the Organix 8 or Team GT. It was beter than the S and the IG definitely helps give it a dampen feel. I can't wait till the new Radical MP IG when it comes out next year.

The Organix 8 was the racquet that surprised me the most. I wasn't expecting this racquet to be such a solid hitting one. My demo felt more head heavy than the 4pts HL spec on TW though. I was also surprise the grip felt more comfortable. Does anyone know if this is the same pallet as the Organix 10 since it doesn't feel like it. This one feels more round and way more comfortable for me than the Organix 10 295.

The Pure Storm Team GT was the racquet that stood out for me. It was like hitting with a lighter version of the Tour GT which is my racquet of choice. It was solid and offer good power and control.

Pretty sure the grips on the X10s are the same as the X8's. I didn't notice any difference myself. Maybe you could measure the bevels to be sure?

About the X8, I thought it felt more head heavy than 4pts and others here have said the same thing. I was also surprised at how soft and "pockety" it felt for such a stiff racquet. It does feel very solid and plays like a 12 oz racquet and not an 11 oz one. The extra weight you feel in the hoop probably helps it feel so solid.

About the IG Instinct MP....I am now testing it along with the X8-300.
Add a little lead tape at 3/9 and it will have more "oomph" for you. I am really liking it and finding it a little easier to control than the X8. Which racquet do you think has more power? The Instinct definitely feels "whippier". Mine is
around 325 grams with a swingweight of around 320.

parasailing
08-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Pretty sure the grips on the X10s are the same as the X8's. I didn't notice any difference myself. Maybe you could measure the bevels to be sure?

About the X8, I thought it felt more head heavy than 4pts and others here have said the same thing. I was also surprised at how soft and "pockety" it felt for such a stiff racquet. It does feel very solid and plays like a 12 oz racquet and not an 11 oz one. The extra weight you feel in the hoop probably helps it feel so solid.

About the IG Instinct MP....I am now testing it along with the X8-300.
Add a little lead tape at 3/9 and it will have more "oomph" for you. I am really liking it and finding it a little easier to control than the X8. Which racquet do you think has more power? The Instinct definitely feels "whippier". Mine is
around 325 grams with a swingweight of around 320.

The demo racquet X8 I got is definitely not 4 pts HL and feels more like 1pt HL to me. The X8 does have more power than the Instinct MP in stock form though I did enjoy hitting with both racquets. They didn't feel hollow and tinny and with the right amount of lead tape customization, both would make a good racquet.

JavierLW
08-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I tryed the Instinct MP last night for the first time in a doubles match.

It was strung at the shop with NRG2 at 56lbs. And it had a 3/8th grip instead of the 1/2 I am normally used to but I didnt notice that it was particularly small for some reason. (I use a eastern grip forehand and a continental grip everything else...)

Like others said, for groudstrokes or any sort of long shot this racquet seemed great. It seemed a lot easier to get the ball to go deep versus my usual KProOpen. And that's even though my KProOpens are customized to 11.3oz and is a lot more HL then stock.

I had a little more trouble with volleys though. In the warmup it was fine, but during the match it seemed a little harder to manuever for whatever reason. A lot of my volleys are for placement and I didnt have a good feeling for where exactly the ball was going.

Maybe it was the strings (I normally use gut which is a lot more accurate). Or maybe the Youtek technology? (does it even do anything?)

Serves seemed to have more pace and had more kick but I had less accuracy as well. On a few of them I launched them way long though which seemed easier to do. Maybe again, that's the strings? It just seemed very jumpy.

I'll probably give it a another shot. If I played mostly singles I could see where Id definately jump on this one, but I happen to play mostly doubles so I may lean toward just getting the BLX Pro Open without having to go thru too long of a adustment period getting used to them.

JackB1
08-15-2011, 12:02 PM
I tryed the Instinct MP last night for the first time in a doubles match.

It was strung at the shop with NRG2 at 56lbs. And it had a 3/8th grip instead of the 1/2 I am normally used to but I didnt notice that it was particularly small for some reason. (I use a eastern grip forehand and a continental grip everything else...)

Like others said, for groudstrokes or any sort of long shot this racquet seemed great. It seemed a lot easier to get the ball to go deep versus my usual KProOpen. And that's even though my KProOpens are customized to 11.3oz and is a lot more HL then stock.

I had a little more trouble with volleys though. In the warmup it was fine, but during the match it seemed a little harder to manuever for whatever reason. A lot of my volleys are for placement and I didnt have a good feeling for where exactly the ball was going.

Maybe it was the strings (I normally use gut which is a lot more accurate). Or maybe the Youtek technology? (does it even do anything?)

Serves seemed to have more pace and had more kick but I had less accuracy as well. On a few of them I launched them way long though which seemed easier to do. Maybe again, that's the strings? It just seemed very jumpy.

I'll probably give it a another shot. If I played mostly singles I could see where Id definately jump on this one, but I happen to play mostly doubles so I may lean toward just getting the BLX Pro Open without having to go thru too long of a adustment period getting used to them.

The strings on your demo may have lost tension already and are too lively.
I have mine strung with gut/copoly at 56/54 and it's not too powerful. I would definitely take the Instinct over the BLX Pro Open. That racquet felt very hollow to me and was hard to control.

JavierLW
08-15-2011, 12:26 PM
The strings on your demo may have lost tension already and are too lively.
I have mine strung with gut/copoly at 56/54 and it's not too powerful. I would definitely take the Instinct over the BLX Pro Open. That racquet felt very hollow to me and was hard to control.

The strings are from less then a month ago. However you could be right, it is a demo and I have no idea how much play it's gotten. And if I put those strings in my own racquet I may have similar complaints over gut / isospeed.

The racquet makes a definate loud noise on impact versus what I am used to but that is again probably the strings.

(plus I didnt string it, the shop did, so some high school student probably stuck strings in it)

What is the philosophy on how you can put gut at 56 in this racquet? Or it seems that any string is strung lower considering the range stops at 57 versus 63 for something like the BLX Pro Open.

Ive been using the KProOpen for 3 years now. And it does have that hollow toy tennis racquet quality to it like many of the Wilson round beams. But I am tuned into how it feels. (plus I put lead tape on it to make it even more head light which gives me some added leveage on all of my shots)

For doubles it does have a lot of advantages though, manevuerability is really good which comes in handy at the net or even intercepting overheads. I can put a lot on the ball with a much shorter swing when I dont have a lot of time.

But for singles it's an adventure to consistantly keep the ball deep aggressively sometimes. And since it has that toy quality to it, it's harder to get the feedback that some of these other racquets give you to have a nice consistant smooth swing. (which is why I usually lead it up in the handle)

I hate demoing racquets because you never get the best potential of the racquet with different strings, grip sizes, overgrips, etc..... Id almost just string the thing myself, but I am afraid they'd make me buy it then.

JackB1
08-15-2011, 12:33 PM
The strings are from less then a month ago. However you could be right, it is a demo and I have no idea how much play it's gotten. And if I put those strings in my own racquet I may have similar complaints over gut / isospeed.

The racquet makes a definate loud noise on impact versus what I am used to but that is again probably the strings.

(plus I didnt string it, the shop did, so some high school student probably stuck strings in it)

What is the philosophy on how you can put gut at 56 in this racquet? Or it seems that any string is strung lower considering the range stops at 57 versus 63 for something like the BLX Pro Open.

Ive been using the KProOpen for 3 years now. And it does have that hollow toy tennis racquet quality to it like many of the Wilson round beams. But I am tuned into how it feels. (plus I put lead tape on it to make it even more head light which gives me some added leveage on all of my shots)

For doubles it does have a lot of advantages though, manevuerability is really good which comes in handy at the net or even intercepting overheads. I can put a lot on the ball with a much shorter swing when I dont have a lot of time.

But for singles it's an adventure to consistantly keep the ball deep aggressively sometimes. And since it has that toy quality to it, it's harder to get the feedback that some of these other racquets give you to have a nice consistant smooth swing. (which is why I usually lead it up in the handle)

I hate demoing racquets because you never get the best potential of the racquet with different strings, grip sizes, overgrips, etc..... Id almost just string the thing myself, but I am afraid they'd make me buy it then.

One month is a LOT for a multi, especially for a demo racquet also. If you have an iphone and the racquet tune app, you could check it.

What do you mean by "loud noise" on impact? I didn't notice anything unusual. What kind of noise?

Yes I put the gut at 56 since the range is 48-57. For my last racquet, the range was 50-60 and I strung my gut at 58 and it was fine. Also, I use Pacific (Head) gut, which isn't overly elastic compared to VS.

I agree with your frustrations with demos...that is why I always buy and playtest. If I don't like it, I just resell.

parasailing
08-15-2011, 11:20 PM
The only thing I can tell with demos is whether I like the way it swings and how it feels and whether it is a solid racquet.

I know the strings play a part but since most strings are used and have lost a bit of tension, you really can't tell unless you actually buy the frame and put in the string you want in it.

levy1
08-16-2011, 04:47 AM
One month is a LOT for a multi, especially for a demo racquet also. If you have an iphone and the racquet tune app, you could check it.

What do you mean by "loud noise" on impact? I didn't notice anything unusual. What kind of noise?

Yes I put the gut at 56 since the range is 48-57. For my last racquet, the range was 50-60 and I strung my gut at 58 and it was fine. Also, I use Pacific (Head) gut, which isn't overly elastic compared to VS.

I agree with your frustrations with demos...that is why I always buy and playtest. If I don't like it, I just resell.

I read a post and I agree that you will know within 15 minutes if this is a great racket for you. Then you keep switching over a few hours and even use the demo in a match. One you determine it is the one then string and lead can only enhance the racket. I would never use string and lead for the purpose of trying to make the racket play better for me or to change it so I might like it better. I need to like it to the point I know I want to play with it and then enhance with mods to make it better for me. Although it is costly and I really don't have the coin I sometimes buy the racket because it might be so much better then what I am using and then go on to more demos and sell it if I find one I like better. This is sure not cost effective but very enjoyable.

JackB1
08-16-2011, 04:58 AM
The only thing I can tell with demos is whether I like the way it swings and how it feels and whether it is a solid racquet.

I know the strings play a part but since most strings are used and have lost a bit of tension, you really can't tell unless you actually buy the frame and put in the string you want in it.

What makes matters worse, is that most stores won't restring demos until they break.

levy1
08-16-2011, 05:47 AM

Do what I did. Buy a Low priced stringer for about $150. Then you can really play with strings in demos and your own rackets.

movdqa
08-16-2011, 06:31 AM
My approach is to buy a racquet on specs and recs and then spend a few months to see whether I really like it or not and that may include changing some things about my game. There are so many modifications that you can make to a racquet that will change its behavior.

dParis
08-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Had a chance to hit some with the IG Instinct and the IG Speed 315. Holding them next to each other, I felt like I was playing with the Laurel and Hardy of tennis racquets.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDgvMerWwU5GxiDgOmareYTP4N7C31h 4FB9yAyVhPmhJzSHv0cIZMaXMSE7w
I can't seem to get along with the round head of the speed and I thought the Instinct went too far in the other, elongated, direction - but I was pleasantly surprised with its response. I thought the Instinct was going to be more powerful than it was. The head size, stiffness, the long main strings and open string pattern pointed to a very powerful frame but it is actually less powerful than many other 100sq in. frames - and that was a good thing. Shot trajectory was very controllable and lower than I thought it would be. The string bed is noticeably more open than most other 16x19 racquets. It's actually closer to, and maybe even more open than many 16x18 frames. The last mains, as well as crosses, are rather close to the frame of the racquet.

Hitting forehands was a lot of fun with the IG Instinct. The IGI cut through the air smoothly and continued through impact without flinching. I was able to take powerful cuts at the ball and keep them deep in the court due, in part, to the great amount of topspin possible on groundstrokes. Directional control was very good, though it took a little extra "steering" on my part. Unfortunately, as good as my forehand was, my back hand was bad. The balance didn't agree with my bh wing for some reason and I was either dumping balls in the net or not coming over the ball and hitting way long. Slices were better, as they stayed low and penetrating. Also, I liked the way the IGI responded in the upper hoop and near the edge of the string bed, in general. The hoop was firm and as long as I was moving the racquet forward, it returned a good quality ball even though it was struck off-center. It was similar to the Volkl X10 in that regard and surprisingly better than the IG Speed.

I liked serving with the IGI, too. I was hitting both flat serves with good pace and a variety of safer spin serves. Although spin production was good, I was expecting more after seeing the spin I was putting on the ground strokes.

I had a couple of other issues with the IGI besides the backhand. One, not a big deal but the others, a little more serious. First, though the IG's are best and most solid feeling Heads I've tried (never been a big Head fan), I still feel like I'm tapping an aluminum can when hitting them. That feeling is more muted with the IG series. In general, the IG's are more muted feeling. Maybe too muted. The other, more serious issues with the IGI in particular, are balance and comfort. I don't buy the TW listed swingweight of 308 for a minute. I much preferred the balance of the Speed and the Donnay x-p gold that I also hit tonight, and my Volkl X10, as well. I felt I needed to steer the racquet too much, especially given its lower static weight. And while I didn't give it much thought while playing, as I'm typing now, I'm feeling a little more tenderness in the elbow.

Over all, I came away fairly impressed with the IGI. It plays more like a large 98sq in. racquet than a 100sq in. - and I think that's a good thing. I want to use it again tomorrow as I'll be doing a little more serious hitting and will be able to put my return ability, which I love with the X10, to the test. I've seen the IGI compared to the Volkl X8 a couple of times in this thread. In my opinion, with the exception of the backhand and perhaps arm friendliness, I give the IGI the edge in most categories.

lwto
08-16-2011, 10:46 PM
haha.. thats funny.. cause I just strung up both and I thought the same thing.. fat and skinny.

I enjoyed hitting with the instinct and thought for a moment of switching from the kblade..after several days, I tried the kblade again and, well, it just doesnt give me the drive as the kblade and that is my game, sooo.. nice racquet, but I'm staying.

JackB1
08-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Had a chance to hit some with the IG Instinct and the IG Speed 315. Holding them next to each other, I felt like I was playing with the Laurel and Hardy of tennis racquets.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDgvMerWwU5GxiDgOmareYTP4N7C31h 4FB9yAyVhPmhJzSHv0cIZMaXMSE7w
I can't seem to get along with the round head of the speed and I thought the Instinct went too far in the other, elongated, direction - but I was pleasantly surprised with its response. I thought the Instinct was going to be more powerful than it was. The head size, stiffness, the long main strings and open string pattern pointed to a very powerful frame but it is actually less powerful than many other 100sq in. frames - and that was a good thing. Shot trajectory was very controllable and lower than I thought it would be. The string bed is noticeably more open than most other 16x19 racquets. It's actually closer to, and maybe even more open than many 16x18 frames. The last mains, as well as crosses, are rather close to the frame of the racquet.

Hitting forehands was a lot of fun with the IG Instinct. The IGI cut through the air smoothly and continued through impact without flinching. I was able to take powerful cuts at the ball and keep them deep in the court due, in part, to the great amount of topspin possible on groundstrokes. Directional control was very good, though it took a little extra "steering" on my part. Unfortunately, as good as my forehand was, my back hand was bad. The balance didn't agree with my bh wing for some reason and I was either dumping balls in the net or not coming over the ball and hitting way long. Slices were better, as they stayed low and penetrating. Also, I liked the way the IGI responded in the upper hoop and near the edge of the string bed, in general. The hoop was firm and as long as I was moving the racquet forward, it returned a good quality ball even though it was struck off-center. It was similar to the Volkl X10 in that regard and surprisingly better than the IG Speed.

I liked serving with the IGI, too. I was hitting both flat serves with good pace and a variety of safer spin serves. Although spin production was good, I was expecting more after seeing the spin I was putting on the ground strokes.

I had a couple of other issues with the IGI besides the backhand. One, not a big deal but the others, a little more serious. First, though the IG's are best and most solid feeling Heads I've tried (never been a big Head fan), I still feel like I'm tapping an aluminum can when hitting them. That feeling is more muted with the IG series. In general, the IG's are more muted feeling. Maybe too muted. The other, more serious issues with the IGI in particular, are balance and comfort. I don't buy the TW listed swingweight of 308 for a minute. I much preferred the balance of the Speed and the Donnay x-p gold that I also hit tonight, and my Volkl X10, as well. I felt I needed to steer the racquet too much, especially given its lower static weight. And while I didn't give it much thought while playing, as I'm typing now, I'm feeling a little more tenderness in the elbow.

Over all, I came away fairly impressed with the IGI. It plays more like a large 98sq in. racquet than a 100sq in. - and I think that's a good thing. I want to use it again tomorrow as I'll be doing a little more serious hitting and will be able to put my return ability, which I love with the X10, to the test. I've seen the IGI compared to the Volkl X8 a couple of times in this thread. In my opinion, with the exception of the backhand and perhaps arm friendliness, I give the IGI the edge in most categories.

Agree with most of your comments dP. Was your Instinct a demo? What kind of strings did it have? I have mine strung with nat gut/copoly and it really softens up the frame. Very nice. The oval shape isn't that big of a deal IMO. I often get jammed or am too far from the ball, so it helps a little in that regard. The round shape of the Speed 315 did take a little getting used to, but I still love that racquet. Much lower powered than the Instinct, but I strung it low to compensate. My Instinct I strung at 56/54. The Instinct feels very solid for a light racquet and does a very good job of returning high pace balls back with added pace. Both mine weigh 325-328 grams, so it really isn't that light and they both have swingweights of around 323. I was going to add some weight, but there may be no need to.

I am not sure why you are having an issue with the "balance"? The racquet is 5 pts HL and I checked both of mine and they were both 5 HL. Do you prefer MORE headlite or more weight in the head? I have no issues with anything 4-6 pts HL and think that is a nice all around balance that feels good through the swingzone. Your X10-295 has more weight in the head (3 HL) so maybe that's what you prefer, but that can be easily fixed with some lead tape at 12' or 3/9. Are you still liking the X10-295? I think the Instinct is much easier to use for anyone under 4.5 level. Much more lively and user friendly stringbed.

I also have no issues so far with the Instinct's comfort. It feels pretty nice on impact and has a slightly dampened response. But remember, I have nat gut in my mains and that helps a lot. I could see where full poly might give some arm issues, but it feels softer to me than it's high stiffness rating of 69.

Nice review dP...really enjoyed it. Keep us updated. I would like to hear more comparisions between the Speed 315 and the IG Instinct. I think they are both great racquets. The Instinct feels a little more solid to me and the 315 has a slightly "hollow" feel, but both played great for me.

dParis
08-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Agree with most of your comments dP. Was your Instinct a demo? What kind of strings did it have? I have mine strung with nat gut/copoly and it really softens up the frame. Very nice. The oval shape isn't that big of a deal IMO. I often get jammed or am too far from the ball, so it helps a little in that regard. The round shape of the Speed 315 did take a little getting used to, but I still love that racquet. Much lower powered than the Instinct, but I strung it low to compensate. My Instinct I strung at 56/54. The Instinct feels very solid for a light racquet and does a very good job of returning high pace balls back with added pace. Both mine weigh 325-328 grams, so it really isn't that light and they both have swingweights of around 323. I was going to add some weight, but there may be no need to.

I am not sure why you are having an issue with the "balance"? The racquet is 5 pts HL and I checked both of mine and they were both 5 HL. Do you prefer MORE headlite or more weight in the head? I have no issues with anything 4-6 pts HL and think that is a nice all around balance that feels good through the swingzone. Your X10-295 has more weight in the head (3 HL) so maybe that's what you prefer, but that can be easily fixed with some lead tape at 12' or 3/9. Are you still liking the X10-295? I think the Instinct is much easier to use for anyone under 4.5 level. Much more lively and user friendly stringbed.

I also have no issues so far with the Instinct's comfort. It feels pretty nice on impact and has a slightly dampened response. But remember, I have nat gut in my mains and that helps a lot. I could see where full poly might give some arm issues, but it feels softer to me than it's high stiffness rating of 69.

Nice review dP...really enjoyed it. Keep us updated. I would like to hear more comparisions between the Speed 315 and the IG Instinct. I think they are both great racquets. The Instinct feels a little more solid to me and the 315 has a slightly "hollow" feel, but both played great for me.
Yes, the Instinct was a demo strung with Prince Lightning, which I've used before, in the mid-fifties. Elbow is still a little sore this morning, but nothing that will keep me from playing.

Like you, I don't mind the IGI's oval shape at all - and for similar reasons. I much prefer it to the Speed's round shape.

There probably is no such thing as a poorly balanced racquet. It's all a matter of opinion. The X10-295 feels like it carries its weight in the shoulders of the frame while the IGI feels heavier higher up in the frame. I know the specs say otherwise but I can more easily snap the X10 through the shot - serves in particular - while I feel I almost had to steer the IGI through serves and backhands. In limited serving, it's not a problem but I don't know how it's going to feel over the course of a match. Again, this is a pretty quick eval. in limited hitting. If the weather holds, I'll play quite a bit with it tonight.

I really like the IGI and prefer it to most other light weight racquets in its class. I'm still loving my X10-295 though and don't plan on switching in the near or mid term. I've never been serving better and my returns are keeping me in games against the best servers I've faced up to this point. To use a cliche, the X10 feels like an extension of my arm and I don't think about the racquet when I'm playing (except to say, "Did I really just pull off that shot?" :)).

Besides, I can't use a racquet that I can't hit backhands with. Doesn't mean it's a bad racquet - just isn't the best fit for me.

JackB1
08-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Yes, the Instinct was a demo strung with Prince Lightning, which I've used before, in the mid-fifties. Elbow is still a little sore this morning, but nothing that will keep me from playing.

Like you, I don't mind the IGI's oval shape at all - and for similar reasons. I much prefer it to the Speed's round shape.

There probably is no such thing as a poorly balanced racquet. It's all a matter of opinion. The X10-295 feels like it carries its weight in the shoulders of the frame while the IGI feels heavier higher up in the frame. I know the specs say otherwise but I can more easily snap the X10 through the shot - serves in particular - while I feel I almost had to steer the IGI through serves and backhands. In limited serving, it's not a problem but I don't know how it's going to feel over the course of a match. Again, this is a pretty quick eval. in limited hitting. If the weather holds, I'll play quite a bit with it tonight.

I really like the IGI and prefer it to most other light weight racquets in its class. I'm still loving my X10-295 though and don't plan on switching in the near or mid term. I've never been serving better and my returns are keeping me in games against the best servers I've faced up to this point. To use a cliche, the X10 feels like an extension of my arm and I don't think about the racquet when I'm playing (except to say, "Did I really just pull off that shot?" :)).

Besides, I can't use a racquet that I can't hit backhands with. Doesn't mean it's a bad racquet - just isn't the best fit for me.

I never understood what makes a certain racquet better or worse for "backhands"??? I think it's just a matter of getting used to the frame.
Glad to hear the X10-295 is working for you. You must be a more precise ball striker than me. I much prefer the IGI's extra power and bigger sweetspot.

movdqa
08-17-2011, 06:55 AM
I've generally found that heavier and smaller racquets are better for one-handed flat and topspin backhands. On slice backhands I don't think that it matters as much.

dParis
08-17-2011, 07:21 AM
I've generally found that heavier and smaller racquets are better for one-handed flat and topspin backhands. On slice backhands I don't think that it matters as much.
I think you may be right...
I never understood what makes a certain racquet better or worse for "backhands"??? I think it's just a matter of getting used to the frame.
Glad to hear the X10-295 is working for you. You must be a more precise ball striker than me. I much prefer the IGI's extra power and bigger sweetspot.
..but you may be right, too.

I see where you are coming from regarding the IGI's power and sweetspot as these are its best attributes, imo. I know my experience isn't universal, but I never had a problem with the X10's power level or sweetspot and I'm not exactly what you would call a "precise ball striker" although the X10 makes me feel like one much of the time.:)

parasailing
08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I think you may be right...

..but you may be right, too.

I see where you are coming from regarding the IGI's power and sweetspot as these are its best attributes, imo. I know my experience isn't universal, but I never had a problem with the X10's power level or sweetspot and I'm not exactly what you would call a "precise ball striker" although the X10 makes me feel like one much of the time.:)

For me, I find the X10 sweetspot to be a little lower and never really got use to hitting with it. I have hit with smaller racquet size in the past like the KPS 88 and was able to hit solid shots with it.

dParis
08-18-2011, 06:42 PM
For me, I find the X10 sweetspot to be a little lower and never really got use to hitting with it. I have hit with smaller racquet size in the past like the KPS 88 and was able to hit solid shots with it.
I never considered the sweetspot of the X10-295 to be "low". It just seems "normal". I love the response I get out of the upper half of the head, actually - and that factor helped facilitate my switch from the Tour 10mp Gen1, which I had been using for about five years, to the X10.

JackB1
08-19-2011, 08:41 AM
One week later, still enjoying the IG Instinct. I decided it was a little too light in stock form and added 3 g's at 3/9 and 3 g's top of the handle and it's now 330 grams total and feels better. It seems so far like a very user friendly racquet. Good touch...serves are great and can pretty much be used for any time of game you bring.

captainobvious
08-19-2011, 10:21 AM
One week later, still enjoying the IG Instinct. I decided it was a little too light in stock form and added 3 g's at 3/9 and 3 g's top of the handle and it's now 330 grams total and feels better. It seems so far like a very user friendly racquet. Good touch...serves are great and can pretty much be used for any time of game you bring.

I figured you'd like the IGIMP. A little lead and its quite good, eh?
Its very similar to my XP Dual.

dParis
08-19-2011, 10:47 AM
I wasn't able to try out any lead mods, but I can imagine the benefit in this set up. My first impressions didn't change much in subsequent sessions; serves were good (pace and spin), forehands were great and I still couldn't find my backhand. I did get to hit some volleys and I like the IGI at the net more than most 100sq. in. racquets - especially FH volleys. When facing increased pace, though, whether volleying a passing shot, returning a serve or otherwise, the IGI, while muted, felt a little hollow or tinny. I'm guessing your mods mentioned above, Jack, would help reduce or eliminate that "problem". For me though, any weight added to the IGI above the hand would exaggerate a weight distribution that I'm not crazy about in stock form. Otherwise, the IG Instinct is a fine racquet.

JackB1
08-19-2011, 08:03 PM
I wasn't able to try out any lead mods, but I can imagine the benefit in this set up. My first impressions didn't change much in subsequent sessions; serves were good (pace and spin), forehands were great and I still couldn't find my backhand. I did get to hit some volleys and I like the IGI at the net more than most 100sq. in. racquets - especially FH volleys. When facing increased pace, though, whether volleying a passing shot, returning a serve or otherwise, the IGI, while muted, felt a little hollow or tinny. I'm guessing your mods mentioned above, Jack, would help reduce or eliminate that "problem". For me though, any weight added to the IGI above the hand would exaggerate a weight distribution that I'm not crazy about in stock form. Otherwise, the IG Instinct is a fine racquet.

I added 3 g's at 3/9 and the same ampunt at 7"' up on the handle and this keeps balance exactly the same....5 Pts HL. Now why why you would have a problem with that balance?

dParis
08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
I added 3 g's at 3/9 and the same ampunt at 7"' up on the handle and this keeps balance exactly the same....5 Pts HL. Not why why you would have a problem with that balance?
Good question. I don't have a problem with 5 pts hl, per se. It must be the way the weight is distributed through the racquet.

JackB1
08-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Good question. I don't have a problem with 5 pts hl, per se. It must be the way the weight is distributed through the racquet.

So u like to feel the weight more in the 7 & 5 o'clock areas of the frame? Is that what you mean by "shoulders"? You are saying the IGI feels like it's more weighted towards the tip? because I don't feel that at at all. I do feel like it's headlite, but I don't notice the weight concentrated in any one area.

dParis
08-20-2011, 06:27 AM
So u like to feel the weight more in the 7 & 5 o'clock areas of the frame? Is that what you mean by "shoulders"? You are saying the IGI feels like it's more weighted towards the tip? because I don't feel that at at all. I do feel like it's headlite, but I don't notice the weight concentrated in any one area.
I wish I still had the racquet here so I could describe it better. To me, good balance is a nimble feeling stick in hand leaning towards a concentration in the handle or center of the racquet - then when "dry swinging", I like to feel the mass build in the head as my swing speed increases - but not too early. Examples would be my Tour 10mp, Donnay X-P Gold, KB98 and now my slightly modded X10-295. IIRC, the 4D 300 was well balanced for me as well.

Racquets that I didn't care for their balance so much were the BLX Blade - a step back from the nimble KB, imo; the PB9 - great feel in hand but never felt the head of the racquet during the swing without lead at 12:00 and the Becker DC Pro - fun stick but extemely polorized. The IGI isn't the worst balance I've felt but it didn't feel 5pts hl to me. It felt more head heavy to me just holding it in my hand. Starting the racquet from a dead stop was where I noticed it most so it was on serve where this bothered me especially. It was less noticeable, or non-existent during most rallies.

JackB1
08-20-2011, 07:19 AM
I wish I still had the racquet here so I could describe it better. To me, good balance is a nimble feeling stick in hand leaning towards a concentration in the handle or center of the racquet - then when "dry swinging", I like to feel the mass build in the head as my swing speed increases - but not too early. Examples would be my Tour 10mp, Donnay X-P Gold, KB98 and now my slightly modded X10-295. IIRC, the 4D 300 was well balanced for me as well.

Racquets that I didn't care for their balance so much were the BLX Blade - a step back from the nimble KB, imo; the PB9 - great feel in hand but never felt the head of the racquet during the swing without lead at 12:00 and the Becker DC Pro - fun stick but extemely polorized. The IGI isn't the worst balance I've felt but it didn't feel 5pts hl to me. It felt more head heavy to me just holding it in my hand. Starting the racquet from a dead stop was where I noticed it most so it was on serve where this bothered me especially. It was less noticeable, or non-existent during most rallies.

I am impressed with how much you are "in tune" with your racquets. I don't think I notice as much as you while swinging a racquet. I just know if it feels too headlite to me or too head heavy. Too head heavy and I feel like the racquet is "pulling me" too much and too headlite feels like too much weight is in the handle and not enough weight behind the ball.

dParis
08-20-2011, 08:49 PM
I am impressed with how much you are "in tune" with your racquets. I don't think I notice as much as you while swinging a racquet. I just know if it feels too headlite to me or too head heavy. Too head heavy and I feel like the racquet is "pulling me" too much and too headlite feels like too much weight is in the handle and not enough weight behind the ball.
First, I take back my criticism of the BLX Blade's balance. It actually has a balance that I like but it didn't play like I expected, comparing it to the KBlade.

Jack, you're basically saying the same thing I am, only more succinctly.:) I just know that racquets with the same balance specs can play quite differently. I'm attempting to discover the reason for those differences.

arnoldr
08-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I currently play with the old Ti.S2 racquet strung at mid+2. Would the youtek IG instinct S be a good step up to my current racquet.

thanks

arnoldr

Fedace
08-21-2011, 03:42 PM
I currently play with the old Ti.S2 racquet strung at mid+2. Would the youtek IG instinct S be a good step up to my current racquet.

thanks

arnoldr

YES, very nice upgrade. i would Demo both models and see which one you like better. but Instinct S is a top line racket. you will like the power and Control. also very nice spiin generation too.

arnoldr
08-21-2011, 03:49 PM
By both you meant the Instinct MP (heavier wt) and Instinct S (lighter wt) versions of the racquet.

arnold r

Fedace
08-21-2011, 03:51 PM
By both you meant the Instinct MP (heavier wt) and Instinct S (lighter wt) versions of the racquet.

arnold r

YES. Instinct MP is little heavier, Yes. but it doesn't feel like it is heavier when you play with it. It is Head Light and has very low Swing weight so it plays like light game improvement racket. You will see what i mean, when you hit with both.:)

arnoldr
08-21-2011, 04:01 PM
i think i understand what your trying to say. i'll try and demo both racquets if i could but i'm not too confident i can do that. i may go on faith and go for the S version.

if you could, can you give me your honest opinion/analysis on both Instinct racquets. we can take it offline if you prefer.

my email id is : arnoldr@pobox.com

arnoldr

Fedace
08-21-2011, 04:06 PM
i think i understand what your trying to say. i'll try and demo both racquets if i could but i'm not too confident i can do that. i may go on faith and go for the S version.

if you could, can you give me your honest opinion/analysis on both Instinct racquets. we can take it offline if you prefer.

my email id is : arnoldr@pobox.com

arnoldr

TW has both rackets for Demo. It is only $20. Is there a reason why you can't demo both ? but if you are used to the Light rackets, you can't go wrong with Instinct S.
You will be surprised with Good power and Control. On the serves, it generates spin easily and can generate powerful serves.
Slice backhand is Easy and powerful. I never hit slice like that before. This is definitely one of the Top models from HEAD. One of their best efforts as far as game improvement rackets go.

arnoldr
08-21-2011, 04:15 PM
i was thinking about a local demo, never occured to me about the TW demo (never used it before). Yes, at this point I would prefer the lighter wt racquets. We'll see how it goes.

arnoldr

Tough Gut
08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
How does this racquet compare to the BLX blade 98?

Fedace
08-21-2011, 04:43 PM
How does this racquet compare to the BLX blade 98?

BLX blade 98 will compare more with Instinct MP. I think instinct is little more powerful and easier to swing. both very good rackets.

JackB1
08-26-2011, 05:35 AM
I have been playing with this racquet for almost 3 weeks now and I have to say it fits me like a glove. Things are really clicking now and I played probably my best singles match last night in a long time. In the opening round of my league playoffs I was the #16 seed and my opponent was #1 seed. I thought going in I would have no chance, but I almost won. I had set point in the 1st up 5-3 and ended up losing the set in a tiebreaker. Then in the 2nd, we were at 4-4 and he ended up winning 6-4, but I played unbelievably well.

The IG Instinct is like the ultimate tweener. It was before, but now with the 16x19 pattern, it's even better. Serves are booming and groundstrokes are so solid and penetrating. There is a nice soft feel at impact which doesn't equate with it's 69 stiffness rating. I added 6 grams of lead overall and it's close to perfect. I am using nat gut mains and copoly crosses (58/56) and it has a nice level of power withougt being too springy.

Any 3.5-4.0 that doesn't at least give this racquet a try is doing themselves a disservice. Great job Head! I can see why Maria is endorsing this one.

Fedace
08-26-2011, 05:38 AM
I have been playing with this racquet for almost 3 weeks now and I have to say it fits me like a glove. Things are really clicking now and I played probably my best singles match last nightin a long time. In the opening round of my league playoffs I was the #16 seed and my opponent was #1 seed. I thought going in I would have no chance, but I almost won. I have set point in the 1st up 5-3 and ended up losing the set in a tiebreaker. Then in the 2nd, we were at 4-4 and he ended up winning 6-4, but I play unbleievable well.

The Instinct is like the ultimate tweener. It was before, but now with the 16x19 pattern, it's even better. Serves are booming and groundstrokes are solid. There is a nice soft feel at impact which doesn't equate with it's 69 stiffness rating. I added 6 grams of lead overall and it's close to perfect. I am using nat gut mains and copoly crosses (58/56) and it has a live level of power withougt being too springy.

Any 3.5-4.0 that doesn't at least give this racquet a try is doing themselves a disservice. Great job Head! I can see why Maria is endorsing this one.

Agree, Maria S did an Article in latest TENNIS magazine about how much she LOVES this racket. Almost as much as Sasha Vouvochichi,,,LOL

Anyway, what kind of Co-poly are you using ?? RPM blast or other premium co-poly like Solinco ??

JackB1
08-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Agree, Maria S did an Article in latest TENNIS magazine about how much she LOVES this racket. Almost as much as Sasha Vouvochichi,,,LOL

Anyway, what kind of Co-poly are you using ?? RPM blast or other premium co-poly like Solinco ??

I am using MSV CoFocus in the ocen blue color. Looks great and matches the frame color perfectly.

Fedace
08-26-2011, 05:53 AM
I am using MSC CoFocus in the ocen blue color. Looks great and matches the frame color perfectly.

thanks. is MSC a good company ??

JackB1
08-26-2011, 06:45 AM
thanks. is MSC a good company ??

typo.....that is MSV Focus Evo

tigerhoo
08-29-2011, 05:07 PM
This stick looks eerily similar to the extreme with respect to stiffness. Just heard Berdich having shoulder problems at the open. Anyone care to comment who suffers with tendonitis, bursitis of the shoulder. Thanks...

PaulFCB
09-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Berd uses this racquet with a red paint job?

movdqa
09-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Berdych has been using the YT Radical MP - used it at Wimbledon, Cincinnati, and is using it at the US Open. He only used the Instinct (PJ) at Montreal.

PaulFCB
09-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I've been wondering why people we're saying that he's using this one...looked like Radical MP to me.

PaulFCB
09-01-2011, 02:24 PM
BTW:

Youtek IG Instinct v. Youtek Radical MP...
Which one is a better buy?

EKnee08
09-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Tried the instinct last night. Heard so many good things about it . I had heard that many people had switched from radical mp Warmed up with instinct before a doubles match. I could tell immediately that it was not for me. Seemed very stiff and immediately hurt my arm and did not have the feel and had a dead feeling
coming from a youtek radical mp.

Am I missing something?

movdqa
09-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I can't imagine going from the Radical to the Instinct given the differences in flex. I think that the change would be easier going from the Prestige to the Instinct.

captainobvious
09-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Tried the instinct last night. Heard so many good things about it . I had heard that many people had switched from radical mp Warmed up with instinct before a doubles match. I could tell immediately that it was not for me. Seemed very stiff and immediately hurt my arm and did not have the feel and had a dead feeling

Am I missing something?

I wonder how and what it was strung with. This is a very comfy racquet...

Im still going back and forth between this Instinct MP and the Donnay XP Dual. Both excellent racquets!!

JackB1
09-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Am I missing something?

What was it strung with and at what tension? That could have a lot to do with it. What do u mean by "it had a dead feeling"?

I agree with Capt.O that it's a pretty comfy feeling racquet, but it does give me a little more "soreness" feeling after playing, in my
shoulder and elbow. Nothing serious, but stuff I didn't notice before. I guess u have to expect some backlash with a 69 stiffness
rating?

JackB1
09-02-2011, 10:40 AM
I can't imagine going from the Radical to the Instinct given the differences in flex. I think that the change would be easier going from the Prestige to the Instinct.

The Instinct is very easy to play with and should be fine. It will probably feel much lighter than the Rad MP though and that can be fixed with lead tape.
I added 3 g's at 3/9 and 3 g's at the top of the handle. Now weight 330 g's total and probably has a sw of around 320.

dproject
09-02-2011, 11:00 AM
hi guys, I'm a bit curious with this racket after so many good comments on it.
Currently, I'm using dunlop bio 300 tour. How does IG instinct compared to my racquet in term of power, control, maneuverability and stability?
Thanks

JackB1
09-02-2011, 11:05 AM
hi guys, I'm a bit curious with this racket after so many good comments on it.
Currently, I'm using dunlop bio 300 tour. How does IG instinct compared to my racquet in term of power, control, maneuverability and stability?
Thanks

-more power for sure
-probably less control (due to open pattern and more power)
-more maneuverable for sure
-stability probably about the same, although I find the Instinct VERY
stable for it's light swingweight.

dproject
09-02-2011, 11:24 AM
-more power for sure
-probably less control (due to open pattern and more power)
-more maneuverable for sure
-stability probably about the same, although I find the Instinct VERY
stable for it's light swingweight.

Nice. Thanks for the reply.
I think I'm going to try this soon. Hope this one won't disappoint me, because I had a bad experience with my last demo with MG instinct. :(

JackB1
09-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Nice. Thanks for the reply.
I think I'm going to try this soon. Hope this one won't disappoint me, because I had a bad experience with my last demo with MG instinct. :(

completely different racquet

EKnee08
09-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Do you know what is the difference between the xp dual and the silver 99.

Thanks.

EKnee08
09-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I was looking at instinct and don nay silver. I think the instinct is too stiff coming from a radical. Not looking to highjack the thread but do you know what is the difference between the xp dual and the silver 99.

Thanks.

EKnee08
09-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I wonder how and what it was strung with. This is a very comfy racquet...

Im still going back and forth between this Instinct MP and the Donnay XP Dual. Both excellent racquets!!
I was looking at instinct and don nay silver. I think the instinct is too stiff coming from a radical. Not looking to highjack the thread but do you know what is the difference between the xp dual and the silver 99.

Thanks.

dproject
09-02-2011, 07:37 PM
completely different racquet

Is IG instinct also forgiving? I'm currently finding some issues using bio300 tour when playing on bad day. It seems like the sweet-spot is a bit too small. Thanks

JackB1
09-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Is IG instinct also forgiving? I'm currently finding some issues using bio300 tour when playing on bad day. It seems like the sweet-spot is a bit too small. Thanks

yes very forgiving

Manaldo
09-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Totally agree, bio300 and bio300T have a really small SP, maybe some customization would make it better

movdqa
09-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Lead at 3/9 should help with sweetspot issues.

EKnee08
09-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Weird but tried it again and not as hard on my arm. what stick in previous generations is the instinct based on?

JackB1
09-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Weird but tried it again and not as hard on my arm. what stick in previous generations is the instinct based on?

there have been many previous Instincts but this years model isn't like any of the prior models. They changed to a 16x19 pattern and made it stiffer. So comparisons to prior Instincts really aren't valid.

EKnee08
09-04-2011, 05:39 PM
there have been many previous Instincts but this years model isn't like any of the prior models. They changed to a 16x19 pattern and made it stiffer. So comparisons to prior Instincts really aren't valid.
Yes. I understand but does anyone know the genesis of the instinct line. Was it from another model?

captainobvious
09-06-2011, 06:17 AM

Thanks.

The XP Dual is a 102sq in headsize. Its more powerful and a bit lighter. Also has a more open string pattern for more spin. It also feels a tad more flexy to me, but not quite as solid on strokes. If you have a long, fast stroke- the X Dual Silver 99 is the better choice. If you have a more medium/moderate swing, the XP Dual is the better choice.
That said, the Instinct IG MP is damn good and Ive not experienced the discomfort others are reporting (yet). I played another 3 set match with it yesterday and I hit some of my best groundstrokes to date, had excellent serve returns, and was much more consistent with the serve in general. Its a fabulous stick. (Mine is stock too) My XP-Dual is currently setup with the 10g buttcap weight, but is at its best for me with the +5 gram in there. Its out for re-string right now :(

JackB1
09-06-2011, 07:03 AM
The XP Dual is a 102sq in headsize. Its more powerful and a bit lighter. Also has a more open string pattern for more spin. It also feels a tad more flexy to me, but not quite as solid on strokes. If you have a long, fast stroke- the X Dual Silver 99 is the better choice. If you have a more medium/moderate swing, the XP Dual is the better choice.
That said, the Instinct IG MP is damn good and Ive not experienced the discomfort others are reporting (yet). I played another 3 set match with it yesterday and I hit some of my best groundstrokes to date, had excellent serve returns, and was much more consistent with the serve in general. Its a fabulous stick. (Mine is stock too) My XP-Dual is currently setup with the 10g buttcap weight, but is at its best for me with the +5 gram in there. Its out for re-string right now :(

Who was reporting discomfort with the Instinct? I haven't seen much talk of this, but I did feel a little soreness one day after hitting, but it hasn't happened again or gotten worse, so I'm not too worried about it. It is a light and stiff racquet, so I would imagine strung with full poly, could be an arm stinger. I use nat gut mains and copoly crosses.

movdqa
09-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Watch the TW video reviews.

captainobvious
09-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Who was reporting discomfort with the Instinct? I haven't seen much talk of this, but I did feel a little soreness one day after hitting, but it hasn't happened again or gotten worse, so I'm not too worried about it. It is a light and stiff racquet, so I would imagine strung with full poly, could be an arm stinger. I use nat gut mains and copoly crosses.

Well, the TW reviewers and a few members here who have tried it have commented on soreness after playing. I havent had any of that, :confused:

Mine is strung at 57lbs with Head FXP Tour strings and its very comfortable. ;)

JackB1
09-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Well, the TW reviewers and a few members here who have tried it have commented on soreness after playing. I havent had any of that, :confused:

Mine is strung at 57lbs with Head FXP Tour strings and its very comfortable. ;)

What is that FXP TOUR like? Is it more like a multi or poly? How is the power and comfort too?

captainobvious
09-07-2011, 06:30 AM
What is that FXP TOUR like? Is it more like a multi or poly? How is the power and comfort too?

Its plush and powerful :) And it seems to get good life too. Ive played about 20 sets with it and the strings still stay put and there is almost no fraying yet. Very surprising. With my syn gut/poly Donnay, I find myself adjusting the strings from sliding quite abit whereas these pretty much stay put. I actually really like these strings. Its what was in it when I demoed the racquet and my proshop actually recommended to use them on the one I bought as well. Im digging the FXP Tour strings. Give em a shot Jack.

JackB1
09-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Its plush and powerful :) And it seems to get good life too. Ive played about 20 sets with it and the strings still stay put and there is almost no fraying yet. Very surprising. With my syn gut/poly Donnay, I find myself adjusting the strings from sliding quite abit whereas these pretty much stay put. I actually really like these strings. Its what was in it when I demoed the racquet and my proshop actually recommended to use them on the one I bought as well. Im digging the FXP Tour strings. Give em a shot Jack.

So are they like a multi or more like a poly? You say "plush" so I am thinking like a soft multi?

You think it would be good as a hybrid?

kyofu
09-07-2011, 08:06 AM
i'm planning to strung my IG instinct with a lux ALU POWER Rough..
anyone use this combination?feedback please.thanks

captainobvious
09-08-2011, 06:25 AM
So are they like a multi or more like a poly? You say "plush" so I am thinking like a soft multi?

You think it would be good as a hybrid?

Yep, like a soft multi. Heads description: "FXP Tour provides a nice blend of power, comfort and control. Constructed from a polyester monofilament fiber core and an 8-layer multi-filament wrap."

Slightly different construction, but Im told its similar to the Wilson NXT Control in that its designed to provide the spin and life of a poly but with better comfort. I just strung the XP Dual with the NXT Control and I'll see how it plays soon...

I really like the feel of the Instinct with the FXP Tour's though. As for using it in a hybrid setup...I dont think you'd need to. It seems to be a jack of all trades...good spin, good life, and a softer feel.

JackB1
09-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Yep, like a soft multi. Heads description: "FXP Tour provides a nice blend of power, comfort and control. Constructed from a polyester monofilament fiber core and an 8-layer multi-filament wrap."

Slightly different construction, but Im told its similar to the Wilson NXT Control in that its designed to provide the spin and life of a poly but with better comfort. I just strung the XP Dual with the NXT Control and I'll see how it plays soon...

I really like the feel of the Instinct with the FXP Tour's though. As for using it in a hybrid setup...I dont think you'd need to. It seems to be a jack of all trades...good spin, good life, and a softer feel.

I got some coming so I'll try it out and report back. I don't think it can beat my nat gut/coply setup, but it might be a nice alternative.

EKnee08
09-09-2011, 07:03 AM

Captain, what level do you play and what is your style? Have you played doubles with it?

captainobvious
09-09-2011, 07:11 AM
Captain, what level do you play and what is your style? Have you played doubles with it?

3.0-3.5 and Im more of a baseliner. I come to the net occasionally, but mainly when I pull my opponent out of position (im not a S&V player). Ive played a few doubles matches with it, mainly singles. Its certainly maneuverable enough for doubles play at the net, although if you're playing against higher levels than 4.0/4.5, and you're a S&V'er, you might want to use the weight strips in the head for a little more stability against the bigger hitters, or forego the XP Dual and move up to the X Dual Silver 99 which is similar in weight and balance, but has more stability, control, feel and a little less flex and power. Of course, I'd also recommend the Volkl x10 if you're a 4.0+ too. Terrific racquet.

If you're in the 3.0-4.0 range, the XP Dual / Instinct IG MP / Organix X8 (and X10 depending on your power/swing) are all excellent choices.

captainobvious
09-09-2011, 07:15 AM
I got some coming so I'll try it out and report back. I don't think it can beat my nat gut/coply setup, but it mihght be a nice alternative.

Good deal, Ill be interested to hear you're thoughts on it once you get her strung up with it :)

It doesnt lose tension too quickly, so you should be able to string it pretty close to where you want to be.

JackB1
09-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Good deal, Ill be interested to hear you're thoughts on it once you get her strung up with it :)

It doesnt lose tension too quickly, so you should be able to string it pretty close to where you want to be.

I hit with a Instinct demo today that had some FXP Tour in it and it felt very low powered. I'm hoping it was just strung tight, but I was surprised at now low the power was.

EKnee08
09-09-2011, 01:56 PM
3.0-3.5 and Im more of a baseliner. I come to the net occasionally, but mainly when I pull my opponent out of position (im not a S&V player). Ive played a few doubles matches with it, mainly singles. Its certainly maneuverable enough for doubles play at the net, although if you're playing against higher levels than 4.0/4.5, and you're a S&V'er, you might want to use the weight strips in the head for a little more stability against the bigger hitters, or forego the XP Dual and move up to the X Dual Silver 99 which is similar in weight and balance, but has more stability, control, feel and a little less flex and power. Of course, I'd also recommend the Volkl x10 if you're a 4.0+ too. Terrific racquet.

If you're in the 3.0-4.0 range, the XP Dual / Instinct IG MP / Organix X8 (and X10 depending on your power/swing) are all excellent choices.

Thanks Captain but I was referring to the Instinct MP. BTW, I am playing at 4.0 these days due to decreased mobility/ ability to set up the way i would like due to chronci/ permanenet knee issues.

captainobvious
09-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks Captain but I was referring to the Instinct MP. BTW, I am playing at 4.0 these days due to decreased mobility/ ability to set up the way i would like due to chronci/ permanenet knee issues.

Sorry ! :oops:

Yes, Ive played several doubles matches with the Instinct IG. I love attacking the serve with this racquet. Backhand slices Im able to keep low and empart some decent spin on. For volleying at net, it could be a tad more stable, but its not getting outright pushed around either. I really find this to be an all around great stick that does most things very well.

captainobvious
09-12-2011, 06:37 AM
I hit with a Instinct demo today that had some FXP Tour in it and it felt very low powered. I'm hoping it was just strung tight, but I was surprised at now low the power was.

I'd imagine it must have been strung tight. Did it feel stiff to you?

JackB1
09-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I'd imagine it must have been strung tight. Did it feel stiff to you?

A little.

I actually got some myself over the weekend and strung it up at 55/54 and played 3 sets with it yesterday and rather liked it. It's very unique in that it's not a poly, but it's not like a multi either. It doesn't have the strech and elasticity of multi's, but it's not stiff either like poly's. It's somewhere in the middle. I found it very soft and muted feeling. Very little string moevement, which was nice. It was a little tough to weave the crosses because of the string's slightly "rough" outer texture, but not too bad. Found the power level to be medium...not as high as strings like NRG2 or Xone, but decent.
Only question now is durability and tension loss?

captainobvious
09-14-2011, 10:22 AM
A little.

I actually got some myself over the weekend and strung it up at 55/54 and played 3 sets with it yesterday and rather liked it. It's very unique in that it's not a poly, but it's not like a multi either. It doesn't have the strech and elasticity of multi's, but it's not stiff either like poly's. It's somewhere in the middle. I found it very soft and muted feeling. Very little string moevement, which was nice. It was a little tough to weave the crosses because of the string's slightly "rough" outer texture, but not too bad. Found the power level to be medium...not as high as strings like NRG2 or Xone, but decent.
Only question now is durability and tension loss?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by both...I am.
Glad that you gave it a shot by stringing on your own. I dont know that I'd switch from my current setup of FXP Tour on the IGIMP. Im not a big fan of the NXT Control I had strung on the XP Dual, so I'm going to go with the FXP Tour on it once I get some wear on them.

JackB1
09-14-2011, 10:53 AM
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by both...I am.
Glad that you gave it a shot by stringing on your own. I dont know that I'd switch from my current setup of FXP Tour on the IGIMP. Im not a big fan of the NXT Control I had strung on the XP Dual, so I'm going to go with the FXP Tour on it once I get some wear on them.

It's a very unique string, thats for sure. I still can't tell if it's more of a poly or more of a multi? :) It's something in the middle, maybe leaning a little more towards multi, due to it's softness and power. But it's very different than multi's like NRG2. It seems like the string was made specifically for the Instinct.

EKnee08
09-14-2011, 10:55 AM
It's a very unique string, thats for sure. I still can't tell if it's more of a poly or more of a multi? :) It's something in the middle, maybe leaning a little more towards multi, due to it's softness and power. But it's very different than multi's like NRG2. It seems like the string was made specifically for the Instinct.

Jack have you tested the Dunlop Biomentic 500 Tour or the Head IG Extreme MP? If so, how do they compare to the Instinct?

jackcrawford
09-15-2011, 06:55 PM
... The Instinct surprised me. It was 325 g's with overgrip and dampener. Not all that light. Just got mine, 327 g with overgrip (5 g) and dampener (3 g). Strung with Black Code 1.18 at 55, won't get to hit it until Monday night but really looking forward to it - I enjoyed the demo even though I don't like full beds of multi.

JackB1
09-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Just got mine, 327 g with overgrip (5 g) and dampener (3 g). Strung with Black Code 1.18 at 55, won't get to hit it until Monday night but really looking forward to it - I enjoyed the demo even though I don't like full beds of multi.

That's almost the same mine was. I dont know where TW gets 309g's from?

I also added 3g's at 3/9 and 3 g's on the handle.

JackB1
09-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Jack have you tested the Dunlop Biomentic 500 Tour or the Head IG Extreme MP? If so, how do they compare to the Instinct?

I actually just picked up a 500 Tour to playtest and will be hitting with it today. The weight specs are almost identical to the Instinct's. I'll let u know later. Not interested in the Extreme.

Al1978
09-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I actually just picked up a 500 Tour to playtest and will be hitting with it today. The weight specs are almost identical to the Instinct's. I'll let u know later. Not interested in the Extreme.

I'd appreciate it if you could compare your Instinct's grip shape to the Dunlop's. I am familiar with the latter and like it a lot, but I've always shied away from Head due to the rectangular shape. I hear the Instinct and Speed lines have a less rectangular shape, so I'm curious how it feels compared to the Dunlop. I would demo a Head, but even an L4 is way too small, and this prevents me from getting a good hit with any demo frame. Thanks.

JackB1
09-16-2011, 05:37 PM
I'd appreciate it if you could compare your Instinct's grip shape to the Dunlop's. I am familiar with the latter and like it a lot, but I've always shied away from Head due to the rectangular shape. I hear the Instinct and Speed lines have a less rectangular shape, so I'm curious how it feels compared to the Dunlop. I would demo a Head, but even an L4 is way too small, and this prevents me from getting a good hit with any demo frame. Thanks.

The Instinct and Speed grip shapes are like the typical Dunlop, Wilson or Prince shapes It's not rectangular at all.

Fedace
09-16-2011, 05:54 PM
The Instinct and Speed grip shapes are like the typical Dunlop, Wilson or Prince shapes It's not rectangular at all.

Agree, that is not typical head grip shape of thin long rectagle. Its shaped more like Wilson grip. Change is Awsome, i mind you. I think just Too many people Hate that long thin rectangle shape.

Al1978
09-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks, Jack.

saguar0
09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Playing with my Instinct for a few weeks now and really enjoying it.
Groundstrokes are great, both forehand and backhand work really nice. Slices are deadly with this thing, they stay really low and skid off the court...

I also like serving with it - got more power and spin.

Volleys are ok....

As people have noted here before, this frame doesn't really feel that stiff, although for me - it didn't work out with polys, neither full job nor hybrid was comfortable enough.

I do need to try this Head FXP string, - sounds interesting.

captainobvious
09-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Playing with my Instinct for a few weeks now and really enjoying it.
Groundstrokes are great, both forehand and backhand work really nice. Slices are deadly with this thing, they stay really low and skid off the court...

I also like serving with it - got more power and spin.

Volleys are ok....

As people have noted here before, this frame doesn't really feel that stiff, although for me - it didn't work out with polys, neither full job nor hybrid was comfortable enough.

I do need to try this Head FXP string, - sounds interesting.

Head FXP Tour, yup. Give it a shot- it complements this racquet nicely.

JackB1
09-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Head FXP Tour, yup. Give it a shot- it complements this racquet nicely.

Anyone think FXP Tour would be a good cross string for nat gut mains?

RyKnocks
09-23-2011, 12:24 PM
JackB1, you have turned me onto this stick. Knowing that you're about a 3.5 player assures me that this stick won't be "too much" for me.

So now my decision is between this and the Yonex vCore 100S, though the light weight of this stick already makes me want to choose it over the Yonex.

What's the sweet spot like on this racquet? Is it big? Does the racquet feel harsh on off center hits (especially on serves)?

JackB1
09-23-2011, 12:36 PM
JackB1, you have turned me onto this stick. Knowing that you're about a 3.5 player assures me that this stick won't be "too much" for me.

So now my decision is between this and the Yonex vCore 100S, though the light weight of this stick already makes me want to choose it over the Yonex.

What's the sweet spot like on this racquet? Is it big? Does the racquet feel harsh on off center hits (especially on serves)?

The sweet spot is very accessible and mishits are not harsh at all. Very easy to use racquet. Both this and the Yonex are about the same 11 oz. strung, so weight isn't really a deciding factor. I added 6 grams to the Instinct because it was a little too light for me stock, but you may like it stock. It's definitely not TOO light and it's very stable for it's weight.

FWIW, some people find the Yonex irregular hoop shape a little "wierd", but I am sure you would get used to it. The Head is more of an oval shape.

Yes, it won't be "too much" for you at all and you won't outgrow it anytime soon. Nice level of power with control.

RyKnocks
09-23-2011, 02:25 PM
The sweet spot is very accessible and mishits are not harsh at all. Very easy to use racquet. Both this and the Yonex are about the same 11 oz. strung, so weight isn't really a deciding factor. I added 6 grams to the Instinct because it was a little too light for me stock, but you may like it stock. It's definitely not TOO light and it's very stable for it's weight.

FWIW, some people find the Yonex irregular hoop shape a little "wierd", but I am sure you would get used to it. The Head is more of an oval shape.

Yes, it won't be "too much" for you at all and you won't outgrow it anytime soon. Nice level of power with control.

Thanks for the info. I just got back from my local shop to see if they had the IGI MP for demo, they only had the S version while the MP was out. The S was suuuuper light though!!

RyKnocks
09-23-2011, 02:26 PM
BTW, what does stringing gut with poly cross give you? I never understood using poly in the cross unless you wanted a stiffer or less powerful string bed.

louis netman
09-23-2011, 06:36 PM
BTW, what does stringing gut with poly cross give you? I never understood using poly in the cross unless you wanted a stiffer or less powerful string bed.

Many use it to prolong the life of gut mains as it prevents the strings from moving. I, personally, don't like the feel and the harshness on my arm.

RyKnocks
09-24-2011, 06:41 AM
JackB1, another question for ya...

Why did you pick the IG Instinct over the Yonex racquets that you play tested?

JackB1
09-24-2011, 09:34 AM

It tames the gut's power and it also adds spin. Gut mains with a round smooth copoly cross is one of the spinniest setups you can have.

JackB1
09-24-2011, 09:37 AM
JackB1, another question for ya...

Why did you pick the IG Instinct over the Yonex racquets that you play tested?

The Instinct just works well for my game. I only tested the Vcore98 and liked it a lot but just didn't like the Yonex hoop shape.

RyKnocks
09-26-2011, 08:16 AM
I'll probably be picking up this racquet in the next few days. What string setups do you guys use and at what tensions? I'm really interested in the new Head FXP Tour strings and a Pacific Nat Gut/MSV Co-Focus hybrid setup.

captainobvious
09-26-2011, 09:16 AM
I'll probably be picking up this racquet in the next few days. What string setups do you guys use and at what tensions? I'm really interested in the new Head FXP Tour strings and a Pacific Nat Gut/MSV Co-Focus hybrid setup.

Id go with the FXP Tour at about 55lbs. Its a great string for this racquet.

Hotrocks
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM

JackB1- I agree the new Instinct is to light stock. Currently using the Youtek Prestige Pro, like the weight of the racquet. Not crazy about leather grips so replaced with Head Hydrosorb and added lead weight for the difference. A little extra for a 7 point head light balance. The Prestige Pro is advertised as a 98" head size, but is actually is a 95". I believe Head measures there racquet head size from the outer frame. Is the new IG Instinct a true 100" or more a 98"? Thanks, looks like you purchased & tried more frames than I, 50+ counting! Thanks for the reviews....looks like another addition.

RyKnocks
09-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Got a chance to hit with the IG Instinct demo today, so here are my first impressions. The racquet was strung with Wilson NXT Control 16 by the shop and weighed in at 326g w/ dampener. Before hitting, I tested the tension with the iPhone RacquetTune app and the tension clocked in at 52lbs.

Comfort and Feel:
This racquet really has all the comfort you need despite its high stiffness rating. After 2-3 hours of play, I don't feel it in my arm one bit. It's very whippy and light through the air. Coming from a 12oz+ racquet, I had to really adjust my timing because I was swinging a lot faster than I normally do. It has a pretty good sweet spot as well. I don't know if it was the strings or the stick, but just bouncing the ball up and down on the strings I could feel the ball pocketing. If it's the string, then I would either string the multi at a higher tension or put in a poly hybrid to crispen up the feel a bit.

Stability and Plow Through:
This was the low point for me. The racquet needs more weight and I can see why people are adding lead to this stick. Coming from a PB10 Mid which was much heavier and had great plow through, I really had to swing through my shots to get any pace on them. It was a really big adjustment for me, which leads me to...

Ground Strokes:
I just could not dial it in tonight. I don't know if it's because of the big adjustment I had to make in my swing, or because the multi was strung fairly low making the racquet a bit overpowering, but the majority of my shots either went into the net or past the baseline. I couldn't get a hold of the low plow through and lack of stability in this racquet. I demo'd a Yonex V Core 98D a few days ago and didn't have nearly as much trouble with my forehand drills.

Serves:
This was my favorite part about the racquet. More spin, power, pop, maneuverability, and a lot of control on placement. Nothing more that I could ask out of it. Even my friend mentioned that my spin/kick serves had a lot more movement on them and my flat serve was faster. Serving is the weak part of my game and I felt very confident serving with this racquet.

Overall first impression:
After tonight's session, I went home and added 1.25g to both 3 and 9 o clock, and put .5g at 12 o clock (3g total), then put 3g on the handle to balance it out. I'm hoping that will add more plow through and stability on my ground strokes. There's lots of spin and power to be had with this racquet, and the feel on good shots is great. I really want to love this racquet, but if I can't get passed the plow through issue without heading close to 12oz then I might have to pass and demo the Yonex V Core 100S.

JackB1
09-28-2011, 05:27 AM
JackB1- I agree the new Instinct is to light stock. Currently using the Youtek Prestige Pro, like the weight of the racquet. Not crazy about leather grips so replaced with Head Hydrosorb and added lead weight for the difference. A little extra for a 7 point head light balance. The Prestige Pro is advertised as a 98" head size, but is actually is a 95". I believe Head measures there racquet head size from the outer frame. Is the new IG Instinct a true 100" or more a 98"? Thanks, looks like you purchased & tried more frames than I, 50+ counting! Thanks for the reviews....looks like another addition.

Not quite :) I would guess I have playtested about a dozen frames in the past 2 years.

JackB1
09-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Got a chance to hit with the IG Instinct demo today, so here are my first impressions. The racquet was strung with Wilson NXT Control 16 by the shop and weighed in at 326g w/ dampener. Before hitting, I tested the tension with the iPhone RacquetTune app and the tension clocked in at 52lbs.

Comfort and Feel:
This racquet really has all the comfort you need despite its high stiffness rating. After 2-3 hours of play, I don't feel it in my arm one bit. It's very whippy and light through the air. Coming from a 12oz+ racquet, I had to really adjust my timing because I was swinging a lot faster than I normally do. It has a pretty good sweet spot as well. I don't know if it was the strings or the stick, but just bouncing the ball up and down on the strings I could feel the ball pocketing. If it's the string, then I would either string the multi at a higher tension or put in a poly hybrid to crispen up the feel a bit.

Stability and Plow Through:
This was the low point for me. The racquet needs more weight and I can see why people are adding lead to this stick. Coming from a PB10 Mid which was much heavier and had great plow through, I really had to swing through my shots to get any pace on them. It was a really big adjustment for me, which leads me to...

Ground Strokes:
I just could not dial it in tonight. I don't know if it's because of the big adjustment I had to make in my swing, or because the multi was strung fairly low making the racquet a bit overpowering, but the majority of my shots either went into the net or past the baseline. I couldn't get a hold of the low plow through and lack of stability in this racquet. I demo'd a Yonex V Core 98D a few days ago and didn't have nearly as much trouble with my forehand drills.

Serves:
This was my favorite part about the racquet. More spin, power, pop, maneuverability, and a lot of control on placement. Nothing more that I could ask out of it. Even my friend mentioned that my spin/kick serves had a lot more movement on them and my flat serve was faster. Serving is the weak part of my game and I felt very confident serving with this racquet.

Overall first impression:
After tonight's session, I went home and added 1.25g to both 3 and 9 o clock, and put .5g at 12 o clock (3g total), then put 3g on the handle to balance it out. I'm hoping that will add more plow through and stability on my ground strokes. There's lots of spin and power to be had with this racquet, and the feel on good shots is great. I really want to love this racquet, but if I can't get passed the plow through issue without heading close to 12oz then I might have to pass and demo the Yonex V Core 100S.

Give it more time to adjust. You are coming from a 12oz racquet so u need at least a week of regular hitting to get used to the lighter swingweight. The fact that serves were strong for you is reason alone to stay with it. Serve is at least 50% of the game. I added just 3 grams at 3/9 and 3 on the handle and have zero issues with plow and stability. You have to face facts that NO 11 oz. racquet will have plowthru like a 12 oz one. It's just physics. The Yonex will be very similar in that regard. I have tried many 11 oz sticks and the IG Instinct is one of the most solid feeling for it's weight out of all of them. I think u will find a big difference with the added weight you now put on the racquet. It's almost the same as mine, but I didn't add any at 12', but that will give you slightly more plow than mine.

RyKnocks
09-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Give it more time to adjust. You are coming from a 12oz racquet so u need at least a week of regular hitting to get used to the lighter swingweight. The fact that serves were strong for you is reason alone to stay with it. Serve is at least 50% of the game. I added just 3 grams at 3/9 and 3 on the handle and have zero issues with plow and stability. You have to face facts that NO 11 oz. racquet will have plowthru like a 12 oz one. It's just physics. The Yonex will be very similar in that regard. I have tried many 11 oz sticks and the IG Instinct is one of the most solid feeling for it's weight out of all of them. I think u will find a big difference with the added weight you now put on the racquet. It's almost the same as mine, but I didn't add any at 12', but that will give you slightly more plow than mine.

So I went back out this morning with the leaded IGI and OMFG, this racquet turns into a whole different monster with weight added to it. I had the plow through that I was looking for, spin was there, drive was there, and the frame still felt very whippy despite the extra weight. I think I've decided that I will purchase this frame along with some FXP Tour and a pacific gut/msv co-focus combo. I think either of those string setups will eliminate the springiness/mushyness that I'm getting out of the multi (52lbs) that's in the frame right now and give it more "pop". I thought the multi would help counter the high stiffness rating but the frame doesn't feel like 69 stiffness at all.

The added weight did add a tad of discomfort (made it feel stiffer?) but it's nothing that I haven't experienced with some of my past frames and definitely not brutal on my shoulder during serve like the PB10 was. When I get my racquet, I think I will copy what JackB1 did but with maybe half a gram at 12 it should be perfect.

Again, if you have this racquet and want to turn it into a possible GROAT, add some weight to it and you'll have one monster of a racquet.

JackB1
09-28-2011, 09:38 AM
So I went back out this morning with the leaded IGI and OMFG, this racquet turns into a whole different monster with weight added to it. I had the plow through that I was looking for, spin was there, drive was there, and the frame still felt very whippy despite the extra weight. I think I've decided that I will purchase this frame along with some FXP Tour and a pacific gut/msv co-focus combo. I think either of those string setups will eliminate the springiness/mushyness that I'm getting out of the multi (52lbs) that's in the frame right now and give it more "pop". I thought the multi would help counter the high stiffness rating but the frame doesn't feel like 69 stiffness at all.

The added weight did add a tad of discomfort (made it feel stiffer?) but it's nothing that I haven't experienced with some of my past frames and definitely not brutal on my shoulder during serve like the PB10 was. When I get my racquet, I think I will copy what JackB1 did but with maybe half a gram at 12 it should be perfect.

Again, if you have this racquet and want to turn it into a possible GROAT, add some weight to it and you'll have one monster of a racquet.

That's what I'm talking about!!! :)

I don't think u should try the FXP Tour...it's quite soft and muted and a little mushy feeling. You will probably like a nat gut/copoly hybrid better. It's crisper while still being soft and delivers good pop.

FWIW, when I first switched to this racquet, I felt some slight discomfort but nothing that lasted to the next day. And now, no issues at all. Probably was just my body adjusting to the new racquet.

I put 3" long 1/4 lead strips at 3/9, but u could easily make them 4" long each for a little more plow. I feel like I still have room for a little extra weight, but it's fine as is now, so why add more?

RyKnocks
09-28-2011, 09:56 AM
That's what I'm talking about!!! :)

I don't think u should try the FXP Tour...it's quite soft and muted and a little mushy feeling. You will probably like a nat gut/copoly hybrid better. It's crisper while still being soft and delivers good pop.

FWIW, when I first switched to this racquet, I felt some slight discomfort but nothing that lasted to the next day. And now, no issues at all. Probably was just my body adjusting to the new racquet.

I put 3" long 1/4 lead strips at 3/9, but u could easily make them 4" long each for a little more plow. I feel like I still have room for a little extra weight, but it's fine as is now, so why add more?

Thanks for the advice. Despite your recommendation (and I know you can relate), I'm still going to try the FXP tour for the sake of experimenting with different string :D

BTW, I used RacquetTune on the IGI after playing this morning and the tension is now clocking in at 42lbs where it was 52lbs last night before hitting. That's a lot of tension loss after two sessions (Wilson NXT Control 16 Multi)! I've seen you mention that the FXP Tour holds tension pretty well so if I string it upwards of 55/53 or 57/55 then I think I might like it. Again, still gonna try it for the sake of experimentation and fun!

JackB1
09-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. Despite your recommendation (and I know you can relate), I'm still going to try the FXP tour for the sake of experimenting with different string :D

BTW, I used RacquetTune on the IGI after playing this morning and the tension is now clocking in at 42lbs where it was 52lbs last night before hitting. That's a lot of tension loss after two sessions (Wilson NXT Control 16 Multi)! I've seen you mention that the FXP Tour holds tension pretty well so if I string it upwards of 55/53 or 57/55 then I think I might like it. Again, still gonna try it for the sake of experimentation and fun!

A racquet strung at 55 will measure out at around 53 off the stringer. One hout later it will read 50. A few days of hitting later and it will be at 47-48.

You might like the FXP Tour since it's kind of a combo of poly/multi. It's very hard to explain it in words...you just have to try it. You may like it. It doesn't seem to lose tension on me at all after 2 weeks. It doesn't feel any more powerful than it was on day one. And as a bonus, it does not move! No constant straightning needed like with most multi's.

Fedace
10-09-2011, 06:09 AM
I have been play testing the IG instinct last few days. I strung it at 55 lbs. right off the bat, it was too loose. Had issues with trampoline effect off the string bed, especially if handling hard hit flat balls. but got better as time went on. I found that strange.

Just a great racket for volleying, Very stable, even though pretty light in weight. Great job here by Head Tech dept. because it is tough to maintain stability as the racket weight drops.
More to come as i hit some more, but i am thinking about going up on the tension to ~60 lbs and see if i can get rid of the trampoline effect ?

JackB1
10-09-2011, 07:21 AM
I have been play testing the IG instinct last few days. I strung it at 55 lbs. right off the bat, it was too loose. Had issues with trampoline effect off the string bed, especially if handling hard hit flat balls. but got better as time went on. I found that strange.

Just a great racket for volleying, Very stable, even though pretty light in weight. Great job here by Head Tech dept. because it is tough to maintain stability as the racket weight drops.
More to come as i hit some more, but i am thinking about going up on the tension to ~60 lbs and see if i can get rid of the trampoline effect ?

what strings are you using? I had no trampolining issues with this racquet

Fedace
10-09-2011, 07:47 AM
what strings are you using? I had no trampolining issues with this racquet

i am using RPM blast and X-1 biphase hybrid. maybe i am just too powerful. I can leg press 100 lbs and arm pull down 50 lbs.

JackB1
10-09-2011, 09:45 AM
i am using RPM blast and X-1 biphase hybrid. maybe i am just too powerful. I can leg press 100 lbs and arm pull down 50 lbs.

Tennis is not about brute strength. Federer isn't exactly Mr Universe.

Fedace
10-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Tennis is not about brute strength. Federer isn't exactly Mr Universe.

What do you think about 62 lbs in tension ? that might work better ?

Fedace
10-09-2011, 10:04 AM
heck this racket is so good, once i get used to it, i can probably move up to USTA 5.0 again.

Anton
12-29-2011, 07:00 AM
I usually like 11.5oz+ rackets and dismissed this racket as just another way-too-light tweener, but had a fellow racket junkie rave to me about it and let me briefly hit with his.

Just holding it and testing the stringbed stability I was pretty impressed - the stability of the top loop was great even without any lead. Mind you, 99% of rackets I try have poor top loop response. At such a low static weight and HL balance it's almost amazing.

The top spin I got from the few strokes I took was pretty impressive and the racket felt pretty solid.

There no way in hell this thing is 308 SW, I don't know if TW had a freak or this particular racket was way out of spec but it felt to be at very least 325 SW. I usually like SW at around 335-340 and this racket definitely felt like I could play with it without adding much weight.

I should have a demo tomorrow.

un6a
12-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Ohers retailers have listed SW of Instinct IG MP around 307 too. So your's must be way off.

JackB1
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Ohers retailers have listed SW of Instinct IG MP around 307 too. So your's must be way off.

My Instincts were around 320 swingweights. Mine usually come in around 10 pts higher than what TW publishes as the specs. Not sure why, but remember that static weight can differ by as much as 10g's between racquets, so that will also have an impact on swingweight. Just use those specs as "ballpark" and test out the swingweight for yourself and see if it feels good for you.

Anton
01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
So I got a demo in with head synthetic gut on it - cut it out and strung with 16g poly.

The swing weight went up very noticeably.

bertrevert
01-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Yes I've just had some poly in the mains (genesis typhoon)... long story short, cutting out due to issues with teh poly going dead and having a sore shoulder for what must be the first time ever. Yes the poly did feel a bit heavier, or at least felt it in the swingweight. Just don't leave that dead poly in your frame...

Anton
01-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Yes I've just had some poly in the mains (genesis typhoon)... long story short, cutting out due to issues with teh poly going dead and having a sore shoulder for what must be the first time ever. Yes the poly did feel a bit heavier, or at least felt it in the swingweight. Just don't leave that dead poly in your frame...

Hitting with full stringbed of 16g SPP Hyperion at 60lbs (4days in) feels fairly comfortable...and sore shoulder from strings? Seems unlikely - wrist and elbow maybe, but shoulder would probably be from swingweight/technique/overuse

Anton
01-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Started adding lead - wow what a huge difference from just 1 gram (.5g each at 10 and 2). Stability went up considerably and launch angle increased very noticeably, swing speed didn't suffer though.

Never seen a racket be that sensitive to weight, production tolerances must be super tight for these rackets to play alike.

Blocking and volleying now feels very good, picking up low balls is a lot easier too. My 2h backhand feels a lot more solid too.

Feel improved too - now feels great actually and I can feel a lot less stress on the wrist...well that is to say i don't feel any stress now. For those concerned about comfort a bit of lead is a must here.

On the negative, due to higher launch angle I lost some confidence to swing out on the forehand on full swing prep. I'll have to try to go more western.

I think I'll have to buy one of these.

Ross K
01-09-2012, 04:14 AM
How does this frame contrast re serve, feel, and power with the APD and Exo 100? Thanks

Anton
01-09-2012, 06:15 AM
How does this frame contrast re serve, feel, and power with the APD and Exo 100? Thanks

Instict has that crisp feedback and pop but is not blunt and hollow like the APD.

It is stiff and widebeamed but still has that scalpel feel (where APD is a club).

In stock form the power is on the low side actually due to low weight, but with just a bit of lead the power (and stability) quickly shoots up.

Ross K
01-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Instict has that crisp feedback and pop but is not blunt and hollow like the APD.

It is stiff and widebeamed but still has that scalpel feel (where APD is a club).

In stock form the power is on the low side actually due to low weight, but with just a bit of lead the power (and stability) quickly shoots up.

Thanks Anton.

Anton
01-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Got my new IG Instinct yesterday with 16g poly, put on overgrip, rubber band, and 1.5g of lead - put on scale, holy sh - 11.6 oz!

That means base racket is .3-.4oz heavier then what TW has in their specs - no wonder they gave it crappy scores in their review and listed swingweight at barely 300.

Played for 4 hours today - pretty happy with result, nice feel, big spin, solid volleys.

JackB1
01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Got my new IG Instinct yesterday with 16g poly, put on overgrip, rubber band, and 1.5g of lead - put on scale, holy sh - 11.6 oz!

That means base racket is .3-.4oz heavier then what TW has in their specs - no wonder they gave it crappy scores in their review and listed swingweight at barely 300.

Played for 4 hours today - pretty happy with result, nice feel, big spin, solid volleys.

I didn't understand TW's spec numbers either. My 2 Instincts came in at around 330 grams.

mela
01-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Do is new IG Instinct (16x19 strings pattern) racquet totally different from the old (Liquidmetal, Flexpoint, Microgel, Youtek) Instinct 18x19?

thanks

000KFACTOR90000
01-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Is the new IG Instinct (16x19 strings pattern) racquet totally different from the old (Liquidmetal, Flexpoint, Microgel, Youtek) Instinct 18x19?

thanks

yes it is.

jottect
01-30-2012, 10:35 AM
I didn't understand TW's spec numbers either. My 2 Instincts came in at around 330 grams.

My instinct with over grip and strung with 17 on a basic kitchen scale shows around 315g - very close to my Aerogel 300 4D,
And I was also able to measure a balance of 6 pts HL! ... so, go figure.

bertrevert
02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Ok after a month or two with the Head IG Instinct.

Am atm trying to figure out if recent arm and shoulder issues are exactly from this concoction of light static weight and low swingweight. It may be detrimental to older elbows/shoulders.

The 69 stiffness of the Instinct feels as if every little mis-hit is hard-wired into my soft tissues - ouch!

Had poly mains and syn gut crosses and could feel the poly go dead and then the dead poly kill-y my shoulder.

Ok havbe got all syn gut. Am still experiencing a far too sore shoulder from low-level comp, and now tenderness on outside of elbow.

How is everyone's arm health with this one?

Anyone else experiencing probs?

(By way of contrast last night did two hours with a Head Speed Elite and the 64 stiffness was noticeably kinder on my arm - and that is with Addiction in it!)

bertrevert
02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
I also think the Instinct is coming in heavier than TW specs.

As I am used to lighter racquets this translates as admirable solidity - however I am late on BH-side shots and am tiring with it complicated by a sore arm in longer matches.

(I've played for 15 years and either it's age/technique or the racquet that is leading to bad shoulder and elbow...)

Nostradamus
02-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Why is it that my forehand isn't as penetrating with this racket ? everything else is ok. but forehand seem to be hard to really hit thru the ball. this is really baffling to me.

Anton
02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
I really do advise just a few grams of lead spread out around 10 and 2 - makes a big difference for stability and plow.

I'm still loving my Instinct - crazy spin game.

The ball doesn't seem to come through the court like my Dunlop 300, but my opponents seem to have more trouble returning the balls because of all the spin and the angles I can play.

timmeh
02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Thought I would give my quick impressions of this racquet.

I bought it about 1 month ago, moving from the youtek speed MP. The main reason I changed racquet was because I was looking for something with a lower swingweight.

I have to say I am liking this racquet very much. The lower swingweight worked as intended and I am no longer getting arm fatigue.

The stock strings it came with were a multi. I found that I couldn't hit freely with the multi as my shots would go out. Once the multi broke, I switched to a blend of poly mains and synthetic gut crosses. This is the setup I am using now and I am really loving it.

Against the top players at my club I can still take free swings and the ball will stay in. My volleys are better because of the lower weight. I am playing very well with this racquet.

bertrevert
02-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Yes it has that lower swingweight and so comes around quite quickly.

Don't leave those polys in too long. With the stiffness of the frame dead polys lead to a sore shoulder for me.

I found volleys pretty darn good with this 100 sq inch frame as well. Really unexpected. Anything reflex, caught high in the hoop, just went with some oomph and skidded away - I think the oval shape provides a hot tip up top to the Instinct perfect for reflex volleys.

BTW - if the groundstroke forehands are not penetrating the court as described above then it would have something to do with the low swingweight hence adding lead will help.

Just the stiffness of this frame is so.... jarring...