PDA

View Full Version : Similar to a Volkl C10 but more suited for the modern game (SW Windshield FH)?

loosegroove
05-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Any recommendations for a racket like a Volkl C10 but more suitable to the fast swingspeed of a sw modern forehand? I'm switching from a Ti Radical because it lacks plow through and stability, and I have to work too hard to generate pace and depth. The C10 solves these issues and it feels great. My one handed topspin backhand and slice have never felt better. Unfortunately I can't rip the forehand like I can with my Ti Radical, the C10 just isn't whippy enough. I can actually hit heavier forehands with the C10 with more spin and kick, I just can't control it as well because I'm having trouble getting the racket around like I'm accustomed to.

So any rackets that have the stability, plow through, and arm friendlyness of the C10, but a little more geared towards the modern game. I'm not sure if it's totally a weight issue, it's only .3 oz heavier than my old racket. Thanks!

pyrokid
05-28-2011, 06:11 PM
I've heard the donnay platinum 99 is great, and I know for a fact the pure storm tour is. Might wanna give those a try. Maybe a speed, too.

jayserinos99
05-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Prince EXO3 Tour 100 16x18.

fuzz nation
05-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Hmm... I wish I knew what to tell you there, since the C10 seems to have provided you with at least a partial solution for your needs. I hit a one-handed backhand nicely with that frame, too, but I don't have a WW forehand. For a more modern stroke and the inherent angular contact that comes with it, you might do better with a different mid-plus 10 series Volkl with less flex in the hoop. Hard to say, though.

My take on these C10's is that they're a rather good bridge between old school and more modern racquet designs. They have a lot to offer many sorts of players who like that 12+ oz. heft, but they are just a bit "tip dead" as a result of that flex in the head.

Some C10 users, myself included, have claimed that they needed to try a few rounds of different string setups to get the performance, response, etc. right for them. I usually like a 17 gauge syn. gut in most of my frames, but my C10's ran either too soft or too unpredictable for me with that string at a few different tensions. Now I've got them running with 16 ga. syn. gut around 60 lbs. and they're a lot more "settled" and controllable. Unless a different racquet seems to present itself, you may need some trial and error with your strings, too.

Rabbit
05-29-2011, 04:22 PM
^^^^
I agree. The C10 will play 'stiffer' i.e. less noodly, at higher tensions. I found this to be true when playing gut in it at 61 pounds...

loosegroove
05-29-2011, 09:03 PM
I've heard the donnay platinum 99 is great, and I know for a fact the pure storm tour is. Might wanna give those a try. Maybe a speed, too.

The Donnay might work, it's really pricey though. I feel like the Pure Storm Tour might not work because it has such a high swing weight. Is it really that fast to swing?

loosegroove
05-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Prince EXO3 Tour 100 16x18.

Yeah, I didn't really get along with the Ozone Tour though and I think they hit similarly.

loosegroove
05-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Hmm... I wish I knew what to tell you there, since the C10 seems to have provided you with at least a partial solution for your needs. I hit a one-handed backhand nicely with that frame, too, but I don't have a WW forehand. For a more modern stroke and the inherent angular contact that comes with it, you might do better with a different mid-plus 10 series Volkl with less flex in the hoop. Hard to say, though.

My take on these C10's is that they're a rather good bridge between old school and more modern racquet designs. They have a lot to offer many sorts of players who like that 12+ oz. heft, but they are just a bit "tip dead" as a result of that flex in the head.

Some C10 users, myself included, have claimed that they needed to try a few rounds of different string setups to get the performance, response, etc. right for them. I usually like a 17 gauge syn. gut in most of my frames, but my C10's ran either too soft or too unpredictable for me with that string at a few different tensions. Now I've got them running with 16 ga. syn. gut around 60 lbs. and they're a lot more "settled" and controllable. Unless a different racquet seems to present itself, you may need some trial and error with your strings, too.

Maybe I just need some time to adjust to the C10. So what rackets were you thinking? The PB10 Midplus, the Organix 10, or...? Also I really want the racket to be arm friendly.

loosegroove
05-29-2011, 09:06 PM
^^^^
I agree. The C10 will play 'stiffer' i.e. less noodly, at higher tensions. I found this to be true when playing gut in it at 61 pounds...

It's not the noodlyness that I can't get used to, it's the fact that I'm not bringing the racket around as fast as normal on the FH side. And I think I'm a little late on the swing.

mdjenders
05-29-2011, 10:43 PM
yonex rdis 200 (320g) might be worth a demo

Ross K
05-29-2011, 11:39 PM
YT Pres Pro... both this and the C10 swing so sweetly and fast, are quility built, have good solidness and feel, and both are quite 'whippy'.

R

pyrokid
05-30-2011, 02:41 AM
The Donnay might work, it's really pricey though. I feel like the Pure Storm Tour might not work because it has such a high swing weight. Is it really that fast to swing?

Most other people don't think so, so I guess that wasn't the best suggestion...
The donnays are expensive new, but at 200 they aren't too muc worse than other stuff.

vincent_tennis
05-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Any recommendations for a racket like a Volkl C10 but more suitable to the fast swingspeed of a sw modern forehand? I'm switching from a Ti Radical because it lacks plow through and stability, and I have to work too hard to generate pace and depth. The C10 solves these issues and it feels great. My one handed topspin backhand and slice have never felt better. Unfortunately I can't rip the forehand like I can with my Ti Radical, the C10 just isn't whippy enough. I can actually hit heavier forehands with the C10 with more spin and kick, I just can't control it as well because I'm having trouble getting the racket around like I'm accustomed to.

So any rackets that have the stability, plow through, and arm friendlyness of the C10, but a little more geared towards the modern game. I'm not sure if it's totally a weight issue, it's only .3 oz heavier than my old racket. Thanks!

The Bio 200 Lite by Dunlop might be worth a try:
----------------------
Head Size:
95 sq. in. / 612.9 sq. cm.
Length: 27in / 68.58cm
Strung Weight: 11.5oz / 326.02g
Balance: 6 pts HL
Swingweight: 308
Stiffness: 65
Beam Width: 21mm / 21mm / 21mm /
Composition: HM6 Carbon/Aerogel/Graphite
Power Level: Low
Stroke Style: Full
Swing Speed: Fast
Racquet Colors:
Navy / Blue / Yellow
Grip Type: Gecko Tac
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 7H,9H,8T
One Piece
No Shared Holes
String Tension: 55-65 pounds
------------------------
Smack on a Leather Grip then u're good to go :) and maybe a bit of lead :p

fuzz nation
05-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Maybe I just need some time to adjust to the C10. So what rackets were you thinking? The PB10 Midplus, the Organix 10, or...? Also I really want the racket to be arm friendly.

Yep, I was thinking that you might want a try with either of those. I'm pretty sure that one of our pals here, maybe TennisMaverick, was commenting about the Organix models and how they don't have that hoop flex that gives the C10 some of its "personality". I don't have any experience with the other Volkl 10 frames yet, but I'm rather hot to have a go with both PB 10's.

The last time I changed my overgrip on one of my C10's, I noticed that I'd put some lead tape on my handle. I think I had these racquets set up with some 3&9 o'clock lead along with some counter-balancing, but only removed the lead on the hoop after a while. What I'm using now is certainly a layout that's a bit more head-light than stock. I always like the maneuverability of a heavier racquet with a lot of HL balance (9-11 pts.), but it also occurs to me that it's no major chore when I want to "whup" across the ball and make a lot of spin on my forehand side. So that might be something to experiment with at some point.

You know, if you're going to consider some other demos, there have been a few favorable experiences with the Yonex RD Ti-80 among the TT community, and I think that our pal "basil j" switched into that frame (from the C10) after a test drive with it. I've always been impressed with Yonex gear myself, even though I haven't had one of their models as my "go-to" frame in the same way as the Volkl C10.

As for arm-friendliness, I love to rip away with a big one-handed backhand and the C10 has never given me any regrets in terms of a sore elbow. I've only had the same results from one or two other racquets that were also solid all-court performers for me, but they've been discontinued for a looooong time. I'd expect any of the Volkl 10's to play on the softer side and as long as you stay away from kevlar or poly strings, I doubt you'll have much to worry about there.

OldButGame
05-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Yep, I was thinking that you might want a try with either of those. I'm pretty sure that one of our pals here, maybe TennisMaverick, was commenting about the Organix models and how they don't have that hoop flex that gives the C10 some of its "personality". I don't have any experience with the other Volkl 10 frames yet, but I'm rather hot to have a go with both PB 10's.

The last time I changed my overgrip on one of my C10's, I noticed that I'd put some lead tape on my handle. I think I had these racquets set up with some 3&9 o'clock lead along with some counter-balancing, but only removed the lead on the hoop after a while. What I'm using now is certainly a layout that's a bit more head-light than stock. I always like the maneuverability of a heavier racquet with a lot of HL balance (9-11 pts.), but it also occurs to me that it's no major chore when I want to "whup" across the ball and make a lot of spin on my forehand side. So that might be something to experiment with at some point.

You know, if you're going to consider some other demos, there have been a few favorable experiences with the Yonex RD Ti-80 among the TT community, and I think that our pal "basil j" switched into that frame (from the C10) after a test drive with it. I've always been impressed with Yonex gear myself, even though I haven't had one of their models as my "go-to" frame in the same way as the Volkl C10.

As for arm-friendliness, I love to rip away with a big one-handed backhand and the C10 has never given me any regrets in terms of a sore elbow. I've only had the same results from one or two other racquets that were also solid all-court performers for me, but they've been discontinued for a looooong time. I'd expect any of the Volkl 10's to play on the softer side and as long as you stay away from kevlar or poly strings, I doubt you'll have much to worry about there.
Fuzz,...I recently picked up a PB10 MP,...and I've just been lovin it,....it came strung with a hybrid which i have yet to learn exactly what it is,...(was prestrung for someone else),....feels like 50lbs,.....prince something,...
..anyway,....I'm having a great time with the PB10MP,...serves, groundstrokes, especially 1HBH,...I like this thing,..

rich s
05-30-2011, 04:20 PM
YT Pres Pro... both this and the C10 swing so sweetly and fast, are quility built, have good solidness and feel, and both are quite 'whippy'.

R

I too was going to suggest the Pres Pro and add the Pres MP....

Dedans Penthouse
05-30-2011, 04:28 PM
If you're talking about the pre-2008 C10's (i.e. the 'black' C10's), I don't have an answer, because IMHO Volkl never really addressed the PLOW/COMFORT of the original "yellow-bubble-bee" frame C10's up until the present PB 10 Mid.

That said, if anybody has an answer to this I too would be very interested in hearing it.

tennis-kid
05-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Fuzz,...I recently picked up a PB10 MP,...and I've just been lovin it,....it came strung with a hybrid which i have yet to learn exactly what it is,...(was prestrung for someone else),....feels like 50lbs,.....prince something,...
..anyway,....I'm having a great time with the PB10MP,...serves, groundstrokes, especially 1HBH,...I like this thing,..

What is PB 10 racket?

tennis-kid
05-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Never mind I found out about PB. Thank you

loosegroove
05-31-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys. I never would have thought of the Prestige line (always thought they were heavier) or the 200 Lite (thought those were way lighter). Thanks!

So I played yesterday with the C10. Previously had it strung up with synthetic gut and tried a hybrid poly/syn. Man did it change the way the racket felt.

athiker
05-31-2011, 07:17 PM
I've been playing my C10s w/ either natural gut or full multi and just tried a hybrid as well, nat gut mains over WC Scorpion poly (52/48 ). Scorpion is supposed to be decent on the arm for a poly. It seemed to up the spin and brought back my 1HBH. I can swing out on it again. Serving was an adjustment but really liked it otherwise.

I'd been playing a lot w/ my Fischer Magnetic Tours b/c they gave me more spin for better angles but it seemed like I was getting pushed around a bit on ROS vs some players and my 1HBH has never been as good w/ it as w/ the C10. The Mag Tours definitely swing through faster with their lower swing weight which can be attractive but I keep coming back to the C10.

FWIW the Pacific X Feel Tour appears to be the remake of the Fischer Magnetic Tour but with a lighter overall weight. I would imagine it would have very good feel and touch like the Mag Tour but its not going to have the mass of the C10 so it can only take you so far in the direction of the C10.

I took off my extra overgrip on the C10 and found I liked the feel of the slightly smaller grip.

In terms of arm friendly and modern spin friendly the ProKennex Ki5 fits the bill pretty well. I never fell in love w/ volleying with it like I did the C10 but its tough to beat off the ground. Nice static weight and swing weight in a spin friendly string pattern.

loosegroove
05-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks athikiker. Yeah, I've heard good things about the Magnetic Tour and their successors. Though I think a huge factor for me in changing rackets is to not get pushed around when hitting against pace.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Ki5. I've been curious about those and was hoping they might pop up as an option. Can you tell me how they compared to the C10? My volley's suck and my groundstrokes are my main weapons so that's what I'm primarily concerned with. Do they swing a little easier than the C10. Even though their a little lighter and still head light, TW shows that they have a higher swingweight. Thanks!

Warped Plane
05-31-2011, 09:39 PM

Easy answer: Organix 10 295

Tennisguy3000
05-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Easy answer: Organix 10 295

Yes, looks great too! I don't have one but I am going to try one out soon. I love my Head 6 Star right now but ready to try something new.

Here is the video review: http://youtu.be/6yYhTEaRliQ

loosegroove
05-31-2011, 09:50 PM
The Organix 10 295 might be too light and lack the stability and plow through, no? It's only 11 oz strung up which is pretty light. My rads are 11.6-11.8 strung up.

film1
05-31-2011, 09:55 PM
You could add a little lead to the head Ti
at 3/9.

Warped Plane
05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
The Organix 10 295 might be too light and lack the stability and plow through, no? It's only 11 oz strung up which is pretty light. My rads are 11.6-11.8 strung up.

If you're coming up the back of the ball, bite and stability is important; plow through, is irrelevant.

max
06-01-2011, 02:36 AM
I'm not sold on the window wiper forehand style. Good for spin, but often lacks court penetration or weight behind a ball.

loosegroove
06-01-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm not sold on the window wiper forehand style. Good for spin, but often lacks court penetration or weight behind a ball.

I've been hitting my forehand this way for 20 years so I'm not changing it now. Yeah, I do know what you mean. A WW forehand can lack weight or penetration. Though hit correctly with nice rackethead speed, you get all of the above: spin, court penetration, weight, and depth. When I really get a racket on it, my topspin doesn't just bounce up, but also kicks to the side.

jk816
06-01-2011, 08:06 AM
I've been hitting my forehand this way for 20 years so I'm not changing it now. Yeah, I do know what you mean. A WW forehand can lack weight or penetration. Though hit correctly with nice rackethead speed, you get all of the above: spin, court penetration, weight, and depth. When I really get a racket on it, my topspin doesn't just bounce up, but also kicks to the side.

I'm kind of in the same boat; I've learned the WW style, to complement the classic style, and use them interchangeably as circumstances (and my mood) dictate. My normal racquet is the PB10 Mid, but currently have demos of the Volkl X8, X10 295, Becker London and Head Radical Midplus. Those demos felt lighter and "whippier" than my PB10 mids. Hitting with them last night (except the Radical) really highlighted for me that the lighter racquets seem to work better for the WW style, which really requires a more vertical acceleration of the head than the classic stroke.
FWIW, I thought the X8 didn't feel as solid as the others and a bit stiffer, the X10 felt nice but lacked the punch I liked, and the Becker London felt like a lighter easier swinging version of the PB10 Mid, and seemed well suited to a WW style (or classic). But the results with my PB10s using the classic style are hard to beat!

So I may need to find an excuse to pick up a London for those days when I want to hit WW or feel lazy; the PB10 really responds to clean technique and more use of kinetic chain -it really seems to hate being muscled through the stroke. Can't really take a stroke off without a penalty!

athiker
06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks athikiker. Yeah, I've heard good things about the Magnetic Tour and their successors. Though I think a huge factor for me in changing rackets is to not get pushed around when hitting against pace.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Ki5. I've been curious about those and was hoping they might pop up as an option. Can you tell me how they compared to the C10? My volley's suck and my groundstrokes are my main weapons so that's what I'm primarily concerned with. Do they swing a little easier than the C10. Even though their a little lighter and still head light, TW shows that they have a higher swingweight. Thanks!

If you can swing through the C10 okay then the Ki5 shouldn't be a problem. Its a more "modern" feeling racquet to me. 100" head size that excels on spinning ground strokes. Like I say, I tended to struggle on volleys with it so if that's a weak area don't expect it to get any better! One can volley with it of course, I just didn't have the control I have w/ the C10.

Back to swingweight...I've seen several different numbers for the C10 so a comparison might depend on which one you have. I have a yellow fishnet C10 as well as a black 2008 version and can't really tell the difference swinging. The fishnet feels a bit more solid to me, the 2008 has a bit of a twang sometimes, but the general all-around play feels very close. I think the Ki5, while not having as low a swingweight as say the Mag Tour, is an easy racket to swing through ww style and it is easy to generate spin. I never even used a poly in it either, just mulitis b/c I was rehabbing tennis elbow at the time. I don't think you would feel it got pushed around either.

Further comparing it to the C10 I give it lower marks in slice and overall control. Its just a great groundstroke racquet w/ decent heft w/o being too heavy. It is also of course great for arm comfort. Depending on your game it may not be the right choice for you. I might have erred in implying it was similar to the C10. It is comfortable, pretty solid feeling and not overly powerful like the C10 but parts ways after that I suppose.

basil J
06-01-2011, 09:46 AM
TI 80 is comfortable, but it is a heavy stick and I think it lends itself better to a player that relies on more of a driving topspin, traditioanl approach to the stroke than a WW stroke. Even at 200lbs and in great shape, this racquet would tire me out in long 3 setters. The power level is very low, but the comfort is exceptional. Right on par with anything from Volkl. if my shoulder would hold up, I would still be using it.
Have you pondered a PK frame like the Redondo MP or the Black Ace 98"? Both very headlight and suit the modern game nicely. The Redondo is lower powered than the BA. The RDIS 100 MP with a non poly string also plays nicely and is pretty arm comfortable as well.
I use a KI5 with a poly hybrid and I find it a good frame with no wow factor, but decent spin, excellent control and extremely arm comfortable. There are a lot out there, if you have the time to look. The becker players frames are also excellent. Good luck with your quest.

loosegroove
06-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks JK816, I guess I should think about the London to. I had that on my "To Try" list and I guess I should hunt one down.

Regarding the Ki5 recommendation, I think it's a good one athiker. I'm not necessarily looking for the playing the unique playing characteristics of the C10. Just a racket that has similar stability and arm friendliness that won't be pushed around. I'm primarily a baseliner that hit's big topspin forehands, but have more of a classic style on the backhand side (one handed slice and flatter topspin). So I'm looking for a good compromise for both wings.

loosegroove
06-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Also, do you think the Ki5 swings a little easier than the c10?

athiker
06-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Also, do you think the Ki5 swings a little easier than the c10?

If you are asking me I think so, yes. I just did a little shadow swinging to confirm my impression as well. :)

I've been wanting to try the London for a while now too, as well as the Volkl x295, x325, etc., etc. The list gets too long and I go back to being happy w/ what I have. Switching between the Mag Tours, Ki5 and C10 Pros keeps me busy enough. That doesn't count the Head FXP Radical Tour I can't seem to sell that is begging me for another hit.

The C10 rewards a more deliberate player w/ early prep looking for an opportunity to close to the net behind either a nice slice approach or an extra deep regular groundstroke I think (more my style) and the Ki5 rewards a baseliner who wants to hit out with lots of topspin. I sometimes pull out the Ki5 just b/c I like to rally with it. I think I play overall better w/ the C10 though. I also probably play better overall w/ the Mag Tours. I play a mix of singles and doubles btw. I almost never use the Ki5 for doubles.