PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of rattling noise out of KPS88

alen_david
05-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I acquired it brand new (plastic on the handle) last week from a great TT member. Hit with it once, loved it. Still got more getting used to though. But anyway there's this rattling/pinging noise when I hit with it... How do I get rid of it? Too bad KPS88 doesn't have a butt cap door... Dampeners only mute it a little bit - it's still there.

Thanks.

Fed Kennedy
05-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Check to make sure there are no string knots touching the frame.

roundiesee
05-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I would have thought that of all rackets, the prostaff series should not have any rattle at all. However, I do remember owning a Tour 90 which had a "gash" on the top of the hoop (a nasty crack), and this particular racket did make a strange "rattly" noise when contact with the ball was made. It did play ok however (goes to show how tough the Wilson is). So I would suggest checking your racket for any cracks, however small these may be.

UCSF2012
06-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I acquired it brand new (plastic on the handle) last week from a great TT member. Hit with it once, loved it. Still got more getting used to though. But anyway there's this rattling/pinging noise when I hit with it... How do I get rid of it? Too bad KPS88 doesn't have a butt cap door... Dampeners only mute it a little bit - it's still there.

Thanks.

Post pictures of your racket. I'm willing to bet a "great" TT member sold you a fake racket.

movdqa
06-01-2011, 11:07 AM
You might try re-securing the butt cap. There was a thread on this with Wilson Frames in the last six months. I have this issue with one of my K90s but I don't use the K90s anymore.

alen_david
06-01-2011, 12:11 PM
The guy has hundreds of references... And the racket has no indication of it being fake so that's out of the question. Plus if there is anyone who can spot fakes, I can consider myself one. I abhor knock-offs. Gladly, the pinging noise went away. So now I'm good.

TennisCJC
06-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Can you recreate the rattle by striking the string bed in different locations on your knee? If you can, try holding the butt cap tightly in your hand and striking your knee (gently). If the rattle disappears when you secure the butt cap with your hand, you have a loose butt cap that can be secured.

If that isn't your problem check you grommet and frame for cracks as suggested above.

If no visible crackes, shake the racket very gently to see if you can hear anything moving around inside of the frame. If you do, try removing the butt cap to see if you can shake the debri out.

eugkim
07-19-2011, 05:44 AM
I had a similar problem. The handle would rattle on off center contact on the string bed. It was a loose butt cap cover, or trap door. I put a tiny strip of duct tape on the inside of the handle to tighten the trap door interface, and the rattle went away.

Roadway
12-15-2012, 05:21 AM
i had a ps85 that rattled too much even if i knocked the upper hoop with my finger. i took off the grommet strips and looked into the wholes carefully. i final saw in the 7 o'clock a steel bar sized about 3mm*30mm stuck in the throat. i took off the buttcap , and unfortunately it was not so easy to shake it out. i insert a steel string up and down quit a while to pull it out.