PDA

View Full Version : Slazenger Pro X1

Anonymous
04-24-2004, 10:11 PM
anyone try this yet??? i play with a probraided henman and wanted to know how it compares, or any comparison or feelings of this racquet are more than welcomed.

so far i haven't even touched or seen this racquet in person, but the photo with the blue looks horrible compared to slazengers other racquets with a classy look.

thanks,
bobby

Tomek
04-25-2004, 01:27 AM
I've played with this racquet. It could be a good stick for serve and volley, but not for a baseline play like mine...

BreakPoint
04-25-2004, 12:11 PM
I like the X-1 more than the Pro Braided. Even though the Pro Braided was heralded as a serve and volley stick, I could not hit big serves nor decent volleys with it but could hit huge groundstrokes with it. Thus, I think the even balance made it more suited to a baseline game than a S & V game. I also thought it wa a little too stiff and worried about my elbow.
The X-1, however, is good for either S&V and baseline play. I like the headlight balance of the X-1 better because I tend to be more of a S&V player. I can hit big serves with it and can really pound volleys and overheads, too. At the same time, it is also very stable and consistent from the baseline with good feel and great vibration dampening. It is one of the most solid sticks I have ever hit with. I'm considering switching to it from my PS 6.0 95's.

netman
04-25-2004, 06:15 PM
I currently play the PBH as well, but find it a bit to powerful sometimes. Been eagerly awaiting reviews of the X-1. When I look at the photos of the X-1, it looks suspiciously similiar to my Dunlop Select Pro MP. THe Select Pro was essentially Dunlop's knockoff of the POG with a little more power and much better shock control. The X-1 is about .5 oz lighter and the beam is 1mm thinner, but otherwise pretty close in most specs. If this is true, the X-1 will be a great frame. The old Select Pro was a sweet hitting frame with a little extra punch over the typical "player's frame". The only knock on it was the heavy weight and the X-1 looks to have addressed that issue.

Have any of you ever played the Select Pro. If so, is the X-1 similiar?

Richard Pur
04-26-2004, 05:46 AM
I had the opportunity to hit with the X-1 this weekend only for about 10 minutes, and it did hit pretty well. I was able to generate good spin on my serve. I also have been thinking about trying the Tour 95. I need a good volleying racquet and in general a stable racquet, so if the X-1 is more stable than the Tour 95, I may not even try the Tour 95. The Tour 95 also has some stability issues on returns (as per the TW review), something the X-1 didn't seem to have. I also read on a previous post that the X-1 was a more stable version of the Tour 95.

Personally, I would add a little lead to the X-1 in the head, but this racquet definitely has some possibilities. It does have more feel than the PBH.

Rich

JamesMichael
04-27-2004, 06:00 AM
I have just recently started to play with the Pro X1, previously using the Wilson Hyper Pro-Staff 6.0 95. The Pro X1 is a very solid and stable racket. Comfortable even on off center hits and it has nice pop on the serve. Nice baseline racket as well. A very nice racket.

netman
04-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Breakpoint and JamesMichael,

How would you rate the X-1 in power vs. the PBH? What string and tension are using? I always felt the PBH played more flexible than its stiffness rating. TW has the X-1 at a 64, while the USRSA has it at a 67. Which do you think it is?

thanks
Ken

JamesMichael
04-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Netman,
I have never hit with the PBH model so I can not compare the two. Stiffness wise ... to me ... knowing the stiffness ratings of other rackets I currently use (HPS 6.0 95 and Head Prestige Classic) I would say it is close to 65-66. But that is based on feel only. I have strung it with prince original synthetic @58lbs. I hope this helps.

BreakPoint
04-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Netman,

I agree with JamesMichael, the X-1 felt stiffer than TW's 64 rating, probably closer to USRSA's rating of 67. In fact, to me, it feels stiffer than my PS 6.0 Original 95 which TW rates at 67. However, I didn't feel it was stiffer than the Pro Braided but felt more comfortable with better shock dampening. To me, the biggest difference between the X-1 and the PBH is the balance. I just prefer the HL balance of the X-1 more than the even balance of the PBH, since I'm mostly a S&V player.

The X-1 I hit with was a TW demo so the strings were probably Wilson NXT Max strung at, most likely, 58 lbs.

BTW, do you have a link to the USRSA ratings of the X-1?

netman
04-27-2004, 12:21 PM
I sort of stumbled onto the X-1 specs by accident on the RacquetTech site. I was using the demo to find a replacement for the Gamma DF 9.5. One of the racquets listed was the X-1. Here is what they had posted - Strung Wt 336g (11.85 oz), SW 305, Power 1941, Flex 67, Balance 12.6 in.