PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDS 001 Midplus stringing?

hoodjem
05-29-2011, 06:21 AM
I have a friend who has one of these and he really loves it, but he cannot seem to find the right tension or the right strings for it.

The first time he hit with it, he said it was the best racquet he's ever used. Unfortunately, he did not write down the specs on that first stringing job.

It seems particularly sensitive to mains versus crosses tension, not to mention the types of strings you put in (full-poly feels like a plastic covered board).

Here are the specs of the racquet:
Racquet Name: Yonex RDS 001 Midplus
Head Size: 98 sq. in.
Length: 27.00 inches / 68.58 cm
Strung Weight: 12.00 oz / 340 g
Balance: 9pts HL
Swing Weight: 321
Beam Width: 20.0mm
Tip/Shaft: 18.0mm / 21.0mm
Composition: High Modulus Graphite / Nickel Titanium Composite
Power Level: Low
Stiffness: 66
String Pattern: 16 Mains/18 Crosses
Main Skip: 8T, 8H
String Tension: 55-65

It was a very popular racquet (yellow and black) on here 2-3 years ago, so I believe that there are many out there who would have good ideas about its stringing particulars.

What would you recommend?

Yonex94
05-29-2011, 07:15 AM
I used this racquet for 2 years. I tinkered with the strings a lot since i strung racquets. These are my personal favorite set-ups with this racquet:

Full Poly: Luxilon Adrenaline 17 @ 53 lbs.
Full Multi: Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 17 @ 60 lbs
Hybrid: WC B5E 1.24 / Gamma TNT2 16 @ 58/56
You should try them out.:)

hoodjem
05-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks much, Y94.
These string recs and tensions are most helpful. We'll certainly be trying one of these next.

Is it better to string the crosses lower?

Kot_Bigemot
05-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Hey man. My setup is not the most economical. But here it is anyway. Full bed of VS Touch strung at 63 Lbs. That is what i used in this frame and it felt pretty good at the time. Then i tried RDS 002 Tour and switched immediately. Just better frame in my opinion.

AndrewD
05-30-2011, 04:14 AM
I didn't have any problem using full poly and actually preferred it to any hubrid or multi.

I used:

Signum Pro Hyperion 16 @ 55lbs
Volkl Cyclone 16 @ 53lbs

One of the guys at my club, who continues to use the RDS001 MP, strings his with Hyperion 16 at 62-65lbs.

hoodjem
05-30-2011, 07:08 AM
One of the guys at my club, who continues to use the RDS001 MP, strings his with Hyperion 16 at 62-65lbs.Youch!

I would think that something in the mid-50s (based on the opinions here) is the way to go, unless one is using full gut.

One thing I am trying to get a handle on, is whether to string the poly 5-10% lower or to string the crosses lower? I seemed to recall reading somewhere that because of the Yonex head-shape, one should string the crosses lower than the mains.?

OldButGame
05-30-2011, 03:39 PM
I strung my RDS001 at 55lbs,...w/ WC Silverstring,....fullbed,...WAYYYYY to much tension,...which i partially chalk up to being in a frame w/ flex of 67 or 68,....I believe frames that stiff have a need for lower tension in the string bed,..generally speaking,...

hoodjem
05-31-2011, 05:14 AM
Hybrid: WC B5E 1.24 / Gamma TNT2 16 @ 58/56
You should try them out.Does this mean 58 on the B5E poly mains, and 56 on the Gamma multi crosses?

Uvijek Argen
05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Oh boy, I wish I was smart like you OP to ask this question before I bought mines a year ago (stop using them in FEB 2011. switching to Dunlop BIO 200 lite).
I have a horrible time looking for the right string for this racquet. This racquet is so stiff and saw myself going down and down in tension that thought I will need to string it with my hands ( a little bit exaggerating :) )

This is what I try:

When bought it : BB Original 55-unbelievable stiff, cut them at the 2nd day.

2nd try same string at 52- so so, but die as you know at the 3rd hour and the racquet didnt help either(still too stiff and hard on my arm).

Quasi gut at 52- that was decent in general (comfort department speaking)

Big hitter blue rough at 48- that was a big progress with this racquet, but even though in the long run hurt my wrist.

And the last set up that I stick with from Oct.-Feb was Maxim Touch in the mains at 51 and Big Ace in the crosses at 47- That was the best set up for this racquet for me.

I'm the kind that stick with one racquet and don't get in any bandwagon in regards new racquets. I want to like the racquet, but got to a point that I couldn't hang on anymore. Its one of the hardest racquet to find the right string, that's for sure.

I just sold 2 this week and have one brand new one in the closet that don't know what to do with it.

Anyhow, good luck to your friend and hope he found the right string and tension.:)

AndrewD
06-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Youch!

I would think that something in the mid-50s (based on the opinions here) is the way to go, unless one is using full gut.

I couldn't handle those tensions but he is an extremely good player - good enough to have an Australian ranking and good enough to have a much better ranking if he was able to play more often. Also, given how hard he hits the ball he knocks the tension out of his racquets far quicker than most people. If he went to a poly that was designed for durability or to a thicker gauge Im sure he'd drop tension but he's looking for performance. Has never reported any arm trouble and he's been using the RDS 001 MP at that tension and with a full bed of poly for the last 4 years.

hoodjem
06-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Thanks for all the above.

So, does anyone know if the crosses (regardless of poly or not) should be strung 2-3 lbs. lower?

Kot_Bigemot
06-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Thanks for all the above.

So, does anyone know if the crosses (regardless of poly or not) should be strung 2-3 lbs. lower?
According to Yonex, crosses should be strung 5% lower than mains to archive raquet's best performance.