PDA

View Full Version : racket repair

TheLambsheadrep
05-29-2011, 12:29 PM
I ended talking about this on my other thread-
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=381615

but what is the best way to re-surface a chip in your racket? I mean, is there something I can do or put on it so the next time it's strung (or anything) no more damage will happen (check the pics from the link in the other thread)? how much does the paint/clear coating actually protect the racket, and how malleable,prone to damage, or weak is the frame when exposed?

tnsanydy
05-29-2011, 01:10 PM
I ended talking about this on my other thread-
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=381615

but what is the best way to re-surface a chip in your racket? I mean, is there something I can do or put on it so the next time it's strung (or anything) no more damage will happen (check the pics from the link in the other thread)? how much does the paint/clear coating actually protect the racket, and how malleable,prone to damage, or weak is the frame when exposed?

I'm no expert on paint but I don't think it does much with regards to the frame's stability. The paint is baked on but other that that, it's more for looks and to identify it from other rackets. If anything, it just add more weight. I bought a really worn out Wilson six.one tour 90 and totally stripped it down to the surface. Thanks to my handy Dremel sander, it now plays and feel like the WPS 6.0 85.:)

TheLambsheadrep
06-01-2011, 08:36 PM
anyone else?

magnut
06-01-2011, 10:31 PM
The paint is just cosmetic. Its not going to effect structural integrity. If you have exposed areas of graphite and you can actually pull strands out....(such as well used older racquets without or before the use of bumper guards)....you can mix up some epoxy and spread it on to seal the graphite fibers again. After it is dry you can lightly sand any rough spots and repaint.

The frame will not collapse because of paint chips. They rarely will collapse from severe court rash if properly addressed. They collapse most of the time from complete breaks or severe cracks going against the grain (so to speak) of the graphite. Sometimes they crack or break just from stringing to tight.
One piece stringing is not real good for frames either.

flashfire276
06-01-2011, 10:35 PM
If it's terribly scratched everywhere, just repaint the whole thing.
If it's touch up, nail polish seems to work very well. Just make sure you put it on very evenly. Sand down the surrounding area if possible.
And to prevent minor chips and scratches, spray down the whole racquet with a clear coat spray paint.

TheLambsheadrep
06-02-2011, 06:32 PM
If you have exposed areas of graphite and you can actually pull strands out....(such as well used older racquets without or before the use of bumper guards)....you can mix up some epoxy and spread it on to seal the graphite fibers again. After it is dry you can lightly sand any rough spots and repaint.

from the pictures, do you see exposed areas of graphite? Is there another layer of sturdy material under the layer of paint?

magnut
06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
You should be fine. It looks like you are just looseing sections of clear coat. Under that is paint....then primer etc. The clear coat is usually pretty weak on tennis racquets (especially modern frames) so this is pretty normal.

I would not worry about it.

jmjmkim
06-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Structurally it looks okay. If you want to rid of the ugly area, how about some clear nail polish? I used to do this with my wooden rackets.

TheLambsheadrep
06-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Structurally it looks okay. If you want to rid of the ugly area, how about some clear nail polish? I used to do this with my wooden rackets.

nail polish will build up to an actual layer, similar to the original clear coating?

TheLambsheadrep
06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
jmjmkim, you there?

TheLambsheadrep
06-15-2011, 11:28 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=172828&highlight=gloss+lacquer

this guy is talking about the a high gloss lacquer or epoxy paint. which would be better based on the pics I provided? and he also talked about primer- how many of the steps/materials that were talked about in his thread should I use?

TheLambsheadrep
06-17-2011, 09:53 PM
used nail polish tonight, takes a long time to dry but im putting a few layers on, then sanding it don and adding one last smooth layer. hopefully this works and is able to withstand the stringing machine.

got spin?
06-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Gives it character! Although I do admit to painting the youtek silver lines on my radical. That has to be perfect because theres and ugly brown substance under it. every where else is scuffed.

Agent Orynge
06-18-2011, 03:06 PM
used nail polish tonight, takes a long time to dry but im putting a few layers on, then sanding it don and adding one last smooth layer. hopefully this works and is able to withstand the stringing machine.

I use clear nail polish to seal the tie offs on my string, and sometimes it gets on the frame. It's very easy to remove once it dries.

TheLambsheadrep
06-18-2011, 07:03 PM
I put a few layers of the clear nail polish on some small fissions and the big chip on my frames, then sanded them down to be as flat as possible to the frame. so far its met my standards, obviously not just like the original coating but close enough. do you think the polish on the large chip with come off/break up the next time its strung? should i use lacquer over the nail polish, will that strengthen the fixes?