PDA

View Full Version : Recomendation Please

in[k]
05-29-2011, 04:23 PM
I am a high school varsity doubles player, and I am probably a 3.5 NTRP. I have a very fast forehand swing with plenty of topspin, a flat serve, and a weaker backhand. Because I play doubles, volleys are a huge part of my game, and a racquet that can withstand decent pace and place shots is key.

I currently play with a Youtek Prestige MP. Things I would like to change: lighter racquet, softer/more muted feel, and a larger sweetspot. I have even considered switching to a racquet like the Microgel Radical OS, because it is still a lower powered racquet, but is more forgiving.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fuji
05-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Volkl C10 Pro! Seriously, this stick might be RIGHT up your alley! It's not lighter I believe by specs, but it feels great for the serve and volley/doubles game you play! :)

-Fuji

fuzz nation
05-30-2011, 02:29 PM
If you want your frame to "withstand decent pace" in a doubles setting, you may not get that with something that's lighter than your Prestige. I'm a reformed serve and volleyer myself (that means I routinely go to the net, but I'm more of an all-court player these days). I've always needed a racquet with "enough" heft and stability (enough for me) to really have some authority around the net.

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't try that MG Radical. If it gives you quick handling and snappy response that you need without feeling like a tree branch, that's great. I happen to get very good performance with the Volkl C10 that our pal Fuji suggested above and it's actually the lightest racquet I can use for serious doubles action. While I love its control at the baseline, this frame has significant head-light balance - probably more than your Prestige - and that makes for a racquet that's easier for me to handle quickly around the net despite its 12+ oz. heft.

Hopefully you can get a batch of demos together to try out. The Radical and C10 could both be quite interesting test drives along with maybe something like the Prince Ozone Tour, Pacific X Force Pro, and ProKennex Black Ace 98. I listed these options just because they might have a good mix of comfort, reasonable handling, and all-court performance that you seem to need.

Be careful with a racquet that's both lighter and at least as flexible as your current Prestige. You may find a diminished amount of pop from that sort of alternative, especially if it's both lighter and softer than your frame.

Smitty7712
05-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Just stay away from anything too light and thin. My freshman and partway through my sophomore year I played Varsity doubles with the Aero Pro Drive Cortex. Once the pace started getting higher and higher, my racket could no longer handle the heat(especially at the net). The ball would almost die on impact, or become so uncontrollable and shaky it was pointless.

Avoid anything with a low stiffness rating, light weight, and super thin beam. They might be great at the baseline, but net play will be rough at best.

Right now i currently use the Aero Storm Tour GT. Great All-around racket. In case your coach puts you at singles, it's great for both singles and doubles. Definitely worth a try!