PDA

View Full Version : Do Fake Racquets really play that differently?

GorillaPeanuts
05-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Anyone know?

flashfire276
05-29-2011, 10:18 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e274/rubensito555/kool-aid.jpg

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-29-2011, 10:22 PM
uh huh. They will usually be ultra light HH things made of heaven knows what. If they don't destroy themselves on teh first decent groundstroke they will certainly give you TE.

GorillaPeanuts
05-29-2011, 10:23 PM
:o

10Characters

BobFL
05-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Anyone know?

If you lead them up to 400 grams they'll play great!

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-29-2011, 10:45 PM

with natural gut and a leather grip, of course...

Roadway
05-29-2011, 10:55 PM
I've played a fake K90 before.
I wasn't bad than i had expected.
It sure had diffrernce with the real one.

rbun1
05-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I've played a fake K90 before.
I wasn't bad than i had expected.
It sure had diffrernce with the real one.

I've also played a fake K90 before.. it had some differences with the real one, but same like you, I didn't play bad like what I had expected.. the racquet is lighter than the real one and I still can control my shot better.. but I don't know why, I had some problem with my backhand, everytime I hit the backhand, I feel the ball has no power, but when I used the real K90 or other real racquets, I can hit my backhand properly.. Last, I was recommended not to strung it for over 55 pounds or the racquet will get a crack.. I am not sure if others experience the same thing with me, but I heard fake K90 was quite popular in my country before because it is lighter compare to the real one..

goran_ace
05-29-2011, 11:44 PM
there is no definite answer to this question. that's the thing with 'fake' rackets. you don't know where they came from. maybe they are seconds from a wilson factory that didn't pass QC cosmetically, or maybe they are something completely different in composition, shape, quality, etc. non-authentic rackets don't all come from the same place so you can't just make a sweeping generalization.

not worth the price difference. do yourself a favor and buy from an authorized dealer like TW.

Rorsach
05-30-2011, 12:58 AM
I've got a couple of fake APDC's and they play very different from the original.

Not bad, but different. Flexier and more HH, kinda like an old school fibreglass racquet.

Djokolate
05-30-2011, 01:08 AM
Way different from looking, holding and playing with a guys fake APDC. The writing is backwards, the weight and balance gives it away, and it plays a lot different to the authentic.

slice bh compliment
05-30-2011, 01:09 AM
I tried a Pure Drive. Didn't really love it, but it was solid.
Then I tried a fake one. Just a little off in terms of specs. Way off in terms of feel. Not solid at all.

I tried an actual, off the shelf Radical. Felt fake to me even though it was legit.
Tried a paintjob Radical with the fake LM ridges (D1 college player who played futures and challengers). Felt solid like a Prestige MP even though it was a little lighter than a Prestige.

GorillaPeanuts
05-30-2011, 01:38 AM

Lol my APDGT's aren't fake, just been wondering cause at my club heaps of people are bringing in fake racquets usually PDGT's and Microgel Rad's

Roadway
05-30-2011, 03:26 AM
I've also played a fake K90 before.. it had some differences with the real one, but same like you, I didn't play bad like what I had expected.. the racquet is lighter than the real one and I still can control my shot better.. but I don't know why, I had some problem with my backhand, everytime I hit the backhand, I feel the ball has no power, but when I used the real K90 or other real racquets, I can hit my backhand properly.. Last, I was recommended not to strung it for over 55 pounds or the racquet will get a crack.. I am not sure if others experience the same thing with me, but I heard fake K90 was quite popular in my country before because it is lighter compare to the real one..

When i played with the fake k90, I can handle it as i handled the real one.
But i feel it was not as stable as the real one. And it tended to vibrate a little.
The dealer recommanded me to string under 60lbs. I strung it at 58lbs. No cracks happened.

PrinceMoron
11-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Anyone who thinks a fake K90 plays in anyway similar to the real deal should not be using a K90, it is that simple.

Oh, btw, the dye used in the grips is carcinogenic and you will die a fool.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c4/GHS_carcinogen_sign.svg/220px-GHS_carcinogen_sign.svg.png

Sanavan
11-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Why would you buy a fake racquet anyway? The weight, balance, materials are completely different.

If you want to play with a racquet that feels like a fake k90, just buy a decent one with the same specs...

courtking
11-18-2011, 09:39 AM

yeah... I had a friend who bought a fake K90 and was bragging how cheap and good it is.. 3 days later it broke.. he did not even mention about the fake racket ever since

woodrow1029
11-18-2011, 09:54 AM
How exactly does one play tennis with a "Fake Racquet?" Can you play with fake balls too? It's either a racquet or it's not.

suppawat
11-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Let me share what I just posted in another thread today.

I used to play genuine Wilson BLX 90 and fake BLX 90 side-by-side. They weigh the same, but the fake one is slighly more head heavy. They play differently. The fake one doesn't hit the ball as solid and stable as the real one. A whole stringbed feel like trampoline as if there is no good sweet spot. The weight distribution is weird and it causes poor torsional stability. Cosmetic is also different. The fake one has brighter red, and the finishing is a little glossier.

The other pair I tried was Head YouTek Speed Pro. This one is easier to spot the fake. The fake on has foam handle like Wilson handle while the real one use pallets. The decal on 6 o'clock is different. On the playtest, the fake one is a lot flexier and vibrate a lot while the real one is very stiff and hit the ball very solid. Again, the weight distribution is poor. I think they just mold the frame and add all weight to anywhere in the racquet head without knowing exactly where to add.

The other one I haven't tried is Babolat AeroPro Drive GT. But I know they look almost 100% identical. Beware of that!

corners
11-18-2011, 11:41 AM
A fake racquet is merely a replica of a real one. It's not meant to be played with, only purchased.

Mick
11-18-2011, 03:00 PM
the lower level players probably can't tell the difference but the more accomplished players probably would.

nodjokes
11-18-2011, 03:28 PM
I played with a fake babolat and the ball kept flying out. The strings were terrible though...

gregor.b
11-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Anyone know?

I bought a fake APDGT and it played awesome.I leaded it up to 340,got to the regional finals and it snapped across the throat in the final while hitting a forehand about 6 weeks after I got it.We lost.Ah well.

PrinceMoron
11-19-2011, 09:46 AM
yeah... I had a friend who bought a fake K90 and was bragging how cheap and good it is.. 3 days later it broke.. he did not even mention about the fake racket ever since

Funny! Even funnier when people are playing with a fake and they don't realise.