PDA

View Full Version : Does a prostock frame really matter?

CrispyFritters
05-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Been reading about prostock frames on other boards and just wondering if it really matters at all.

Do you think the average rec player even tell the difference between a prostock frame or a retail frame from TW? And if so...are they more likely to play better with the prostock frame or the retail frame?

Please share your thoughts if you've had the opportunity to compare both prostock and retail versions of a frame. Thanks

flashfire276
05-29-2011, 09:31 PM
As always, it depends on the person.
Personally, I don't think it matters whether you use Prostock or retail. When you get a racquet, you should get one suited for your needs and tennis style. And there's a large variety on the tennis market to fill those needs, you know?
But some people can't find that in retail racquets, so they go to Prostock racquets for a classic feel, and customize the specs to their own.

But for me, I don't care whether its a fake racquet, retail racquet, or a prostock racquet. If you love it and it suits you well, that's is YOUR racquet.

goran_ace
05-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Do you think the average rec player even tell the difference between a prostock frame or a retail frame from TW? And if so...are they more likely to play better with the prostock frame or the retail frame?

(1) Maybe, but most likely no.
(2) No.

Ross K
05-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Well, I'm no advanced player but I can tell the difference. However, I don't think I did play better, and pro-stock or not pro-stock - or just great quality build older frames (like, say, PT630, RD7, PSC, Swirly Babs, etc) - the task of finding a particular frame that really suits your game and personal requirments, needs, preferences, etc, is still a pretty difficult one (well, for some like me anyhow. :) )

R

0d1n
05-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Can you tell the difference in feel ??
Yeah...you probably can.
Does it matter for your performance ??
Most likely not.
It's more important to have a few matched racquets that you can swing and meet the ball out in front with than to have any "wacky" pro stock racquets which may or may not be the same, and will most likely make no difference whatsoever to your game when compared to good, suitable (to you) retails.

Fed Kennedy
05-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Its really just a lump of graphite matches to someone else's weight preferences.

It's much more important and beneficial to get the pros clothing...

Satch
05-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Been reading about prostock frames on other boards and just wondering if it really matters at all.

Please share your thoughts if you've had the opportunity to compare both prostock and retail versions of a frame. Thanks

maybe, but will it help their game? NO.

rony67
05-30-2011, 04:14 AM
I'm an middle-aged, recreational type of player, playing Head Pro Stock (PT10's) matched to my spec's of choice. Can I feel the difference? Yes, definitely. Do I play better? No.

As Flashfire stated above, they're just classic feel racquets, and fantastic ones. And, the fact that they are Pro Stock just makes them fun to have and play around with. Luxury!

It's not like they are worse than retail... ;-)

ollinger
05-30-2011, 04:47 AM
Yes, they definitely help you play better. I say this because I don't have any, and I will offer any excuse I can think of.

0d1n
05-30-2011, 04:48 AM
I'm an middle-aged, recreational type of player, playing Head Pro Stock (PT10's) matched to my spec's of choice. Can I feel the difference? Yes, definitely. Do I play better? No.

As Flashfire stated above, they're just classic feel racquets, and fantastic ones. And, the fact that they are Pro Stock just makes them fun to have and play around with. Luxury!

This is the important ... EXTREMELY important bit.
Most people who buy them buy them already customized...and usually for a pro player (and hence...too heavy swinging for them) which means they are actually worse for said players than buying retail frames with more suitable specs.

BounceHitBounceHit
05-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Can you tell the difference in feel ??
Yeah...you probably can.
Does it matter for your performance ??
Most likely not.
It's more important to have a few matched racquets that you can swing and meet the ball out in front with than to have any "wacky" pro stock racquets which may or may not be the same, and will most likely make no difference whatsoever to your game when compared to good, suitable (to you) retails.

I agree.

I wonder if someone can please explain to me PRECISELY what constitutes 'Pro-stock'? I know for example some of my sponsored friends have obtained frames custom weighted, balanced, etc for them by Wilson, but are these 'pro-stock' or just customized?

Best,

BHBH

BounceHitBounceHit
05-30-2011, 04:52 AM

Hummmmmmm...............a luxury item. That makes sense. :) BHBH

BounceHitBounceHit
05-30-2011, 04:53 AM
This is the important ... EXTREMELY important bit.
Most people who buy them buy them already customized...and usually for a pro player (and hence...too heavy swinging for them) which means they are actually worse for said players than buying retail frames with more suitable specs.

So, reading between the lines here I am getting the impression my friends' frames are in fact 'pro-stock' in that they have been matched to their preferred specs in advance. Is that correct? Best, BHBH

pshulam
05-30-2011, 07:18 AM
I agree.

I wonder if someone can please explain to me PRECISELY what constitutes 'Pro-stock'? I know for example some of my sponsored friends have obtained frames custom weighted, balanced, etc for them by Wilson, but are these 'pro-stock' or just customized?

Best,

BHBH
I do not have the exact definition. I think "Pro Stock" frames are designed for a pro that requires customization in weight, balance, flex point, etc. A "pro stock" frame, in general, comes out of a pro-room. It's widely believed that a pro-stock has different layup (or material) than the retail version.

pshulam
05-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Do you think the average rec player even tell the difference between a prostock frame or a retail frame from TW?
Most likely not if you do tell them that it is a prostock frame. If told in advance, they may say "yes".

And if so...are they more likely to play better with the prostock frame or the retail frame?
In realty, no. However, they may think so in their head.

courtking
05-30-2011, 07:26 AM
yes.. it's worth every penny if you're advanced 5.0/6.0 players.. it worth zit if you have poor technical strokes..

pshulam
05-30-2011, 08:00 AM
yes.. it's worth every penny if you're advanced 5.0/6.0 players.. it worth zit if you have poor technical strokes..
Do these type of players get their racquets free when sponsored by the perspective manufacturer?

cnr1guy
05-30-2011, 09:28 AM
People get so hung up on wanting to play what the pros play so much that they actually will lose their minds and pay ridiculous amounts of money to play a "pro stock frame" and they really believe they can tell the difference and it helps them. It's absurd how much people focus on the racquets and other gear and not their actual game itself.

Bhagi Katbamna
05-30-2011, 09:43 AM
People get so hung up on wanting to play what the pros play so much that they actually will lose their minds and pay ridiculous amounts of money to play a "pro stock frame" and they really believe they can tell the difference and it helps them. It's absurd how much people focus on the racquets and other gear and not their actual game itself.

Exactly right. I understand that this is an enthusiast board and part of the appeal of these frames is that they are rare and collectable rather than making people play better.

ollinger
05-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Pro stock are racquets not ordinarily sold as part of a company's retail line, manufactured with materials and specifications intended for high level competitive players, usually designed to facilitate considerable customization.

Mick
05-30-2011, 10:04 AM
it probably would make you feel good knowing that you're using a prostock frame :)

4sound
05-30-2011, 11:02 AM
I used to play with the Head Prestige Mid (18x20). I've been playing with the Head TGK 237.2 (prostock) 16x19 Mid Prestige for the last 3 years. There isn't another racket that feels like it. The only other 16x19 Mid is the Dunlop AG100 and the Volkl (which is a 93). I've tried to match the AG100 to the TGK specs but it's just too different in the stiffness and I started having issues with my wrist for the first time. I probably wouldn't play with a prostock racket if there was another racket on the market with the same specs. I personally think its ridiculous to pay more than $200 for a racket and I'm on the court almost every day.

I can adjust my game to pretty much any racket. Do I play better with the TGK? It obviously doesn't make my footwork any better but it does make it a bit easier for me to hit certain shots. Serves are bigger, contact on running shots are easier to control and easier access for me to hit spin with a heavy ball.

With that said, I can hit certain shots better with the non prostock 18x20 Prestige; slice, accuracy on volleys and touch are easier for me. I have to work a little harder on groundstrokes and the serve. (I prefer the i.Prestige Mid of all the Prestiges but they don't make that one today either.) But then again this is really a totally different racket than the TGK.

Overall, I think its best to get something that fits your game and stick with it. The key is to have something you know the feel of every time you hit your shots. Prostock rackets are customized and matched for that particular pro player. Buying prostock rackets that were customized for someone else doesn't really make sense.

To answer the question; Does a prostock frame really matter?
It does for me right now because they're done to my specs but I'm always looking for a non-prostock frame I can switch to.

Smasher08
05-30-2011, 11:07 AM
I'd say the key questions re pro stock are (a) whether or not you do lots of customization, and (b) whether you need 5+ frames identically matched.

The other obvious advantage is that pro stock frames tend to remain the same despite changes in retail version technology.

For 5.0+ tournament players wanting to get dialed into a frame for life, there's probably no substitute.

4sound
05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
I'd say the key questions re pro stock are (a) whether or not you do lots of customization, and (b) whether you need 5+ frames identically matched.

The other obvious advantage is that pro stock frames tend to remain the same despite changes in retail version technology.

For 5.0+ tournament players wanting to get dialed into a frame for life, there's probably no substitute.

++Agree with you++

One thing to note. Prostock frames usually start out very light and customization is added accordingly. Many of the off the shelf, higher level player type frames start at higher weights so you have less customization options.

goran_ace
05-30-2011, 12:47 PM
what's funny is that not even all of the pros on tour use pro stock frames

klementine79
05-30-2011, 01:41 PM
++Agree with you++

One thing to note. Prostock frames usually start out very light and customization is added accordingly. Many of the off the shelf, higher level player type frames start at higher weights so you have less customization options.

4?

How much do your pro-stocks weigh bare?

Thx.

Dave M
05-30-2011, 01:50 PM

In response to the bold bit no most people won't feel it, care or need something that can be tweeked like a pro stock frame.However it is important to realise there are two types of pro frame.Some just use an out of production retail frame painted differently while some have only for them specials which fit perfectly to their game.In theory everybody could benefit from a custom service but in reality most would find something right for them within the retail sector.

4sound
05-30-2011, 02:29 PM
4?

How much do your pro-stocks weigh bare?

Thx.

The TGK 237.2 hairpins I have are around 225g without pallets or CAP grommets.

After customization 347g strung 8 points headlight.

vegasgt3
05-30-2011, 03:37 PM
I like heavy racquets, but I've hit with a couple of pros racquets (while they were on the court-so it was indeed their racquet)- no way-too heavy for me SW about 400+ and weight over 14 oz and stiff as a board. I don't know how these guys didn't have arm issues. They had flawless technique as the worst one has 10 GS titles (doubles) and the best had 14 GS titles, but still . . incredible . . I was a college tennis player and no way could I swing these and be competent.
Totally different league.

The moral to the story is use the best racquet for your game and quit dreaming.

pshulam
05-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Pro stock are racquets not ordinarily sold as part of a company's retail line, manufactured with materials and specifications intended for high level competitive players, usually designed to facilitate considerable customization.
Yes, manufacturers make pro stock frames just for the pros and tell consumers that the pros are playing the same versions as those of the retail racquets. Manufacturers make money on the retail versions and most likely loss money on the pro stocks since they are given to the pros at a steep discount or no cost. IMHO, it is deceptive marketing.

Nextman916
06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
What are the differences in the newer pro stock TGK's and their retail counterparts, besides being lighter stock and having silicone in the handle? Is the layup material different?

grimmbomb21
06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I have sold all my Head pro stock frames because I didn't see that much difference. They all felt sweet to hit with, but I have better results with a ton of other racquets. So it was never worth looking for a matching frame.

LeeD
06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
What would happen if Nadal used Federer's pro stock?
Would Federer hit more consistent groundies using Nadal's pro stock?
Would Rochus develop a huge serve using Roddick's pro stock?
And would Karlovic start move like an impala if he grabbed Blake's racket?

Praetorian
06-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Nope. Fed could take an off the shelf racket, sign it, hit with it for 5 mins, and give it to someone without saying anything, and 99% of the people will say it hit's like a dream, and feels better than a retail, blah blah blah.

stingstang
06-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Chevy or african deer thing?

big bang
06-02-2011, 06:43 AM
What would happen if Nadal used Federer's pro stock?
Would Federer hit more consistent groundies using Nadal's pro stock?
Would Rochus develop a huge serve using Roddick's pro stock?

The answer:
Fed would start picking his butt and grunt like a caveman.
Nadal would shank 1hbh´s all over the place and look arrogant while doing so.
Rochus would serve bombs and push everything else.
And Karlovic would just suck.. not much of a difference there!.

caesar66
06-02-2011, 07:22 AM
I think rec players have too many options available for stock frames to have pro sticks be our holy grails. Let's be honest-if the only racquet out there was the Wilson pro open, between strings and lead it could be set up for about anyone. If you're under 5.5, my opinion is that there is nothing a pro stock frame will get you that you can't get off the shelf or through basic customization.