PDA

View Full Version : my secon k pro open is longer that possible?

monticore
05-30-2011, 01:49 PM
i purchased a second k pro open froma different source, everythine looks the same but felt head heavier i know somethings weight/balance can be off but then i noticed one looks 1/4-1/2 inch longer is that possible and can i fix it.

cory

The Djoker
05-30-2011, 02:05 PM
i purchased a second k pro open froma different source, everythine looks the same but felt head heavier i know somethings weight/balance can be off but then i noticed one looks 1/4-1/2 inch longer is that possible and can i fix it.

cory

Make sure the hoop isn't warped from improper mounting during stringing on either racquet. Also, which one is the correct length? Did you ever measur ethe first one?

alen_david
05-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Wilson quality control, you've been victimized by it! 1/4 inch is a large difference though, maybe it's a frame warp, like Djoker said. Or maybe it's just Wilson... But it's most likely going to be a warp/defect/damage if it's close to 1/2 inch or more.

monticore
05-30-2011, 04:12 PM
measured the difference and it came in around 3mm ,less than 1/4 inch? i removed the grip and cap it seemed it was the handle lenght was a bit more so i sanded it down , seems better.

the frames both look fine weird how so little can affect the whole weight/feel.

thanks guys.
cory

The Baseline
05-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Wilson quality control, you've been victimized by it! 1/4 inch is a large difference though, maybe it's a frame warp, like Djoker said. Or maybe it's just Wilson... But it's most likely going to be a warp/defect/damage if it's close to 1/2 inch or more.

Wilson makes great stuff. Nothing is going to be perfect. Just be thankful you have the opportunity to buy a wilson frame, because they are the best in tennis.

alen_david
05-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Well hey, people here have rackets of different weights and esp. balances... And sometimes it's not a slight deviation from true specs... They do make great rackets - Pro Staffs, 6.1s, etc. but they should improve their QC. I wasn't getting on their rackets anyway... just their QC.

Hmm, your statement about Wilson being the best in tennis should make some people comment here... I'm sure that's your own opinion.

For me, Wilson is just as good as Head. 6.1s = Prestiges. Both amazing line of rackets.

meowmix
05-30-2011, 06:06 PM

I'll ignore the highly ignorant comments in this thread...

Rackets shorten during the stringing process, and some stringers/improper stringing cause racket to deform more or less. 2 point mounting generally causes a racket to shorten a little more than does 6 point mounting. However, keep in mind that racket are MEANT to deform/change shape during stringing- they were designed that way. If you got them from different places, chances are, they were strung differently, and that would account for the length difference.

As for Wilson quality control, it's possible that they made something a little bit longer. However, it's very unlikely as they use molds for everything. So unless somebody is capable of changing molds with every racket... pretty darn unlikely.

The Baseline
05-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Well hey, people here have rackets of different weights and esp. balances... And sometimes it's not a slight deviation from true specs... They do make great rackets - Pro Staffs, 6.1s, etc. but they should improve their QC. I wasn't getting on their rackets anyway... just their QC.

Hmm, your statement about Wilson being the best in tennis should make some people comment here... I'm sure that's your own opinion.

For me, Wilson is just as good as Head. 6.1s = Prestiges. Both amazing line of rackets.

Heres the problem, all manufacturers are slightly off. They all cant be perfect, because of mass manufacturing. But you are right, QC can always improve.

alen_david
05-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah, they should stop outsourcing and bring them back to Austria for Head and Chicago for Wilson!

monticore
05-30-2011, 06:41 PM
i mean a couple of mm isn't that big of a deal, but some of us are weird like that, but all is good both rackets strung up by me with 6pt mount drop weight, not ideal but they appear equal lenght after 1-2mm of sanding replacing the cap.

thanks again

cory

Fuji
05-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Wilson makes great stuff. Nothing is going to be perfect. Just be thankful you have the opportunity to buy a wilson frame, because they are the best in tennis.

LOL! Best post I've read all night! :)

-Fuji

taylorhorton4
05-31-2011, 03:56 PM
I had the same exact problem when i purchased a second k pro open last year from the plaza when original was from the warehouse. One was noticably heavier than the other and was really quite annoying because the reason i bought a second racquet was because of same playability from both if one happened to have a string break.