PDA

View Full Version : lead tape customization-Babolat APD GT PLUS

RFedJXZCR7
05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
hi i waz thinking about customizing one of these. i know that putting lead on the racquet head @ 9-3 o clock enlarges the sweet spot. The thing is, i dont know if putting 3 seperate strips, one each @ 12, 3, and 9 o clock will help with more power, or putting one long strip extending from 3-9. I tried putting like way too much weight a week ago and found out that i couldnt swing through my kick serves, nor flat serves either. I guess too much weight isnt good, either. The thing is, I want to add a lot weight in THE HANDLE of the racquet too to counterbalance the lead at the top. U see, i want to make the racket even more powerful but i still want it to be headlight, if that makes any sense. thanx!!!!!!

Smasher08
05-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Sounds like you're going in the right direction. Depending on the balance you like, you should add up to the same amount, ideally in the handle's trapdoor.

As for where to put it, I'd say experiment and see what works best for you.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Smasher08
05-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Btw, you might want to try figuring out a few things before modding:

your racket's original weight
it's original balance
your target weight
your target balance

Easiest way to find its balance point is on a table edge. For me, the important thing about knowing this is so that you have a reference point for later, especially if you want to keep it more or less the same. It's also necessary for matching your rackets.

I've been modding on and off for several years, and have found that my ideal weight is 360-362g depending on the model. Heaviest I've ever tried was 365: it played amazing -- ball pancaking like crazy, pinpoint placement -- but was just too heavy for me to get great acceleration.

FWIW most pros seem to lead up to between 350 and 370g. Pre-2000s, some went even higher.

RFedJXZCR7
06-01-2011, 12:46 PM
haha thanx a lot. btw- how do u measure
* your racket's original weight
* it's original balance
* your target weight
* your target balance

RFedJXZCR7
06-19-2011, 09:30 AM
btw
if i make the racquet too head light but still put a lot of lead at the tip (meaning i have to add a litany of lead in the handle), will it make the racquet less powerful just by the fact that it is head light?? thanx

Giannis
06-19-2011, 10:10 AM
btw
if i make the racquet too head light but still put a lot of lead at the tip (meaning i have to add a litany of lead in the handle), will it make the racquet less powerful just by the fact that it is head light?? thanx

No, it wont make it less powerful.