PDA

View Full Version : Diablo MP and Mid.

StumpyDaMooseGod
05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Hello everyone. I've researched these two racquets quite a lot and still need some more opinions. I currently use MP and have no problems with it. However, I have never tried the Mid and I'm curious about how it plays. There are no places that allow me to demo the Mid so demoing is out of the question unless you found one. With the Prince deal going on, I was going to stock up on another MP because I only have one. I was thinking about buying the Mid or another MP to take advantage of the deal.

If the Mid is harder to use, I'll probably buy one and keep it for the future when I get better at using the MP. But then after researching, it seems like the MP gets a lot more love than the Mid.

So what are the pros and cons of both these racquets. Is the weight difference of the Mid really that significant compared to the MP? The 16 X 20 of the Mid compared to 16 X 18 of the MP effect on spin? Which is better at serves, groundstrokes, volleys, etc.? Share your thoughts! Thanks.

dantheman
05-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Mainly preference and the tour version is stiffer then the MP. It mainly depends on your taste because 16x18 gives you that rip of topspin you need while 16x20 gives you a larger sweetspot and more control and power

snoflewis
05-30-2011, 07:54 PM
they're two totally different rackets. only thing they have in similar is their name and pj and the fact that they both have pretty big sweetspots. the mid compared to the mp is definitely stiffer, and has a more distinct feel. the best description i can give you is that it feels like hard rubber coming off the string bed. the sweetspot is as high as any racket i've used. i didnt find a problem w/ spin or power, but it was a bit too stiff for me.

Nextman916
05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
As far as the MP goes, the Diablo XP MP played much better than the normal MP.

AndyC
06-01-2011, 05:55 AM
I dunno about the mid not getting any love. I'm certainly a huge fan of the mid and I'm sure there are others on the board who feel that way.

StumpyDaMooseGod
06-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I dunno about the mid not getting any love. I'm certainly a huge fan of the mid and I'm sure there are others on the board who feel that way.

What made you a huge fan of the Mid?

vegasgt3
06-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I have two mids and loved them for groundstrokes, they felt great with gut or excel, but I a hybrid poly on them and the stiffness or the racquet combined with the poly killed my elbow and required me to take a few months off. I really miss the feel and control, so i may go back, but I will string lower and with a soft string.

AndyC
06-02-2011, 01:46 AM
What made you a huge fan of the Mid?

It's the right combination of heft and stiffness for me. Before that I played with the Volkl C10 PTs that were really very flexible and soft and found that I simply prefered the crispness of the Diablo Mid. Power wise it's slightly more powerful that then Volkls but I still don't have any problems controlling the power.

It's a great racket for groundstrokes as well. Of all the rackets I've tried, it really suits my single handed backhand best in providing me the combination of power and control I need. It's great for serving though there are other rackets that would give me as good a serve (which is a trength of mine anyway).

StumpyDaMooseGod
06-02-2011, 06:31 PM
It's the right combination of heft and stiffness for me. Before that I played with the Volkl C10 PTs that were really very flexible and soft and found that I simply prefered the crispness of the Diablo Mid. Power wise it's slightly more powerful that then Volkls but I still don't have any problems controlling the power.

It's a great racket for groundstrokes as well. Of all the rackets I've tried, it really suits my single handed backhand best in providing me the combination of power and control I need. It's great for serving though there are other rackets that would give me as good a serve (which is a trength of mine anyway).

Have you ever hit with the MP? If so, what are the differences?

Nextman916
06-02-2011, 09:11 PM
The QC is terrible for all the diablo's though.

sruckauf
06-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Quick little factoid to all you Diablo MP fans I discovered a couple days ago. The Head Youtek Speed 18 x 20 (non IG, the ones on sale) have an EXACT head shape and size of the Diablo MP.

I've been using the MP for the last two years, with 16 gauge string. I recently went on a quest to find something similar, but with more stability and a little more control. But I love that Prince head shape. I picked up Head Youtek Speed 18 x 20 (non IG, the ones on sale) and strung it up with my same string but in 17 gauge. A buddy of mine plays with it, and he swore the head shape was more roundish than most Heads. He was right.

I put the Head on my stringer, and I didn't have to adjust one measurement from my last Diablo MP string job. That never, ever happens. I always have to adjust the mount at least a little for other 100 sq. in. frames. Call me crazy, but I love that. The sweet feel and stability of a Head frame in a Prince head shape?

I'll see how long the honeymoon lasts, but after two matches I'm very psyched. I've got a singles and a dubs usta match this weekend, so we'll see how it does in the real world. Will report back.

alidisperanza
06-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Definitely mid ftw... that and the pog mid are the two best things prince ever did...

StumpyDaMooseGod
06-10-2011, 05:14 PM
I think I'll get two Mids. Try one and if I don't like it, return the other.