PDA

View Full Version : Serve-Volley Racquet Recommendations?

MattyS
05-31-2011, 05:58 AM
Hi Everyone and Greetings, from the U.K

As my first post (ever) on this forum, I was wondering if you could recommend about 5/6 racquets that you would recommend for a Serve-Volley orientated player. I've been demoing ones such as the Head Youtek Series and Babolat Pure Drive GT series and these have a really good feel about them. However before spending putting all my eggs in one basket (And then spending them) I was wondering if you had any other recommendations that I could try?

I would say that I am around a level 4.0 player at the moment (Using the NTRP? system) and am hoping for a racquet that can help me push my game on further, especially with the opportunity to play University tennis next year. I am unfortunately, fairly lost in the technicalities that revolve around tennis racquets, so thanks for your advice.

Cheers

all-court-loser
05-31-2011, 06:01 AM
one of the best s&V-racquets ever is the prince warrior which is still available for small money here at tw! :)

michael valek
05-31-2011, 06:15 AM
kneissl white star, very maneuverable at the net, and solid off centre.

Meaghan
05-31-2011, 06:17 AM
Vantage custom 95
Vantage bast core 20
Wilson K95/BLX95
Head prestige
Babolat PST
Prince rebel/ignite

All 95" not too big not to small, i can vouch for all in their different ways.

rp42195
05-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Prince exo3 rebel 95, give it a try.

Buckethead
05-31-2011, 07:11 AM
I'd consider looking into these:
Pacific Xfeel 90
Pacific Xfeel 95
Yonex RDiS 100 mid
Yonex VCore 95
Wilson BLX tour 90

stronzzi70
05-31-2011, 07:14 AM
1. Pb 10 Mid
2. Ytk Prestige Mid
3. Ytk Prestige Mp.

ced
05-31-2011, 07:24 AM
kneissl white star, very maneuverable at the net, and solid off centre.

Any Kneissl will work fine ...... the trouble is in finding one.

Hewex
05-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Dunlop 4d Aerogel 100

LeeD
05-31-2011, 07:49 AM
Ain't the racket, it's you.
Anything from 90 on up, stiff or soft.
I played S/V with wood rackets up to PrinceTTOS, and I'm the guy hitting the ball.

zumzool
05-31-2011, 08:18 AM
PB10 Mid is a beast for serve and volley.

LeeD
05-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Funny ding.....
All these specific recommendations, and EVERY one of the recommenders play at the level they play REGARDLESS of what racket they use.

jersey34tennis
05-31-2011, 08:40 AM
if you're looking at current sticks you can buy brand new here are the ones i've had a good amount of success with serve and volleying

1 prince warrior midplus and oversize, but i added lead to the handle on both making the midplus 11.9 ounces, and the oversize i leaded under the handle and sides of the frame to 11.9 , very good finesse racquets, not overpowering but they're really soft and nimble at net

2 the head youtek prestige pro played very well, stable , comfy with good pop, could really punch a volley away with authority

3 blx blade 98 if you add an .5-.7 in the handle, very stable, lots of slice and really keeps the ball low when you hit under spin on the volleys.

4 volkl powerbridge 10 mid was awesome but hard to play with if you don't have really good mechanics, didn't do well in the wind with it, the 7 was a very plush feeling racquet

5 dunlop aerogel (probably most incarcerations ) of the 300g standard. good pop, good touch, a tad unstable but the maneuverability outweighs that for me .

and they;re really hard to find but the slazanger x1 (blue and black cosmetics) was the best serve and volley racquet i ever played with

caesar66
05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
It's all about the form-you mentioned university tennis; if you saw the top guys in division 1 mens college tennis you'd see pure drives, radicals, 6.1's, anything under the sun and they all volley very well. My advice is find something you serve well and hit groundstrokes well with, and hit the practice court til your volleys catch up.

michael valek
06-01-2011, 12:13 AM
no problems getting a kneissl, email me if you need michael.valek@thomsonreuters.com

anirut
06-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Mid, if you can still find one. Perfect for S&V play.

caesar66
06-01-2011, 05:36 AM
I may have missed this, but have you mentioned what you currently play with? You've mentioned what you're demoing, but what do you actually use? If you're looking at university tennis you should be pretty solid, I'd like to know what you feel doesn't work about your current racquet.

stingstang
06-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Whatever you serve best with. If I had to S&V I would actually grab a aerogel 500 tour, the kick and power I get on the serve with thin poly is insane.

Don't use as a main stick because my fairly flat forehand flies with it

dekko1
06-01-2011, 05:47 AM
I'd consider looking into these:
Pacific Xfeel 90
Pacific Xfeel 95
Yonex RDiS 100 mid
Yonex VCore 95
Wilson BLX tour 90

I can recommend both.

Larrysümmers
06-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Funny is that the best SV racket i played with was an oversize stiff racket.

Agent Orynge
06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Hmm, there are as many different racquet recommendations here as there are posters.

MattyS
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I may have missed this, but have you mentioned what you currently play with? You've mentioned what you're demoing, but what do you actually use? If you're looking at university tennis you should be pretty solid, I'd like to know what you feel doesn't work about your current racquet.

Ah sorry, seems like I've wasted a lot of people's time.

Anyway to fill you all in, I was (As of last week) using a Dunlop Aerogel 2Hundred, It gave me solid groundtrokes, great touch and feel on volleys - However I could just not get enough out of the serve - power wise. This hadn't been a real problem as I was only doing inter-college tournaments, which required more consistency in hitting than producing anything spectacular.
However as said, going into Uni next year I was wondering if there was a racquet out there that would offer me "A next level on my serve" - whilst providing what the aerogel offered my game in other areas - i.e Consistency and good volleying. I've been told that my technique isn't the issue (By a local Coach) however he did recommend a racquet that would be 'easier' on my arm and elbow (If you get what that means)

- Just to say I have tried a selection of the Newer Dunlop Aerogel ranges and these didn't agree with me.

Thanks for your messages and posts, its nice to be recommended items that have been thought about. Oh and thanks to EasyJet who lost my racquet at Heathrow sometime last week

Cheers

Niou
06-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I know I'm not much of a help but wouldn't the Donnay X-White be also a really good Serve & Volley Racket because of it's maneuverability ?!
(I've got 0 experience with rackets so it's really just a question..)

FedHammer
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm using the Babolat Pure Storm Ltd & it is a nice s/v stick. Also recently demo'd the Donnay X-Black 94 & found it very nice as well. Good luck sorting through all the opinions!