PDA

View Full Version : Transition from Hard to Clay Courts

Rod K
04-24-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm an average 4.5 all-court hard-court player and may be moving to the east coast for the summer where I'll be playing on clay.

Never having played on clay, I'm wondering how difficult the transition to the new surface will be. I have played on sand-impregnated carpet court, adjusted quickly, and even prefered it to hard-court.

Also, is there much difference between green and red clay? :?:

Kirko
04-24-2004, 09:45 PM
I grew up on clay the "green" version ; har tru . it is "quicker than red . i still play on it once in awhile . If i were to play on it regularly I would reduce the tension on my racket . example I use the POG oversize @ 64 lbs. on clay i would drop to 60 lbs. or 58 lbs. seems you have to work harder with a racket strung for hard courts.

Feņa14
04-25-2004, 02:47 AM
When I play on clay I also lower the tension and do lots of drills on my footwork as you have enough time to move and you need to take all the luck that you can get!

Also try and use a lot of spin and vary your length as this can create useful angles on the clay.

Hope this helps!

Liam

Steve Huff
04-25-2004, 08:38 PM
At first, you'll probably find a lot of your balls go long or sail wide. It's because the angle the ball is coming up after hitting the court is greater on clay, so with your normal stroke, the ball leaves the racket on a higher trajectory. You may also find that using your 2nd serve (a kick serve etc) is often more effective than trying to hit hard and flat. Finally, when you run, stay over your feet more. If you don't, you'll find yourself slipping and sliding more than you want to.