PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Kobra Tour?

The_Steak
05-31-2011, 04:59 PM
4.0 player. Big groundstrokes, lots of spin. Don't go in much, and just a spin serve first and second.

My coach suggested that I switched frames because he said "He didn't like the shape of the ball as it left my frame". Does naybody have a good suggestion of a good baseliner's racquet?

-Steak

TheBoom
05-31-2011, 05:03 PM
I'd recommend the pure storm or the dunlop 300 or the 500 tour. HEAD Extreme is decent too. It all depends on what feels good for you we can suggest but we don't know you so demoing is good

flashfire276
05-31-2011, 05:05 PM
My coach suggested that I switched frames because he said "He didn't like the shape of the ball as it left my frame"

Don't take this the wrong way, but your coach should be giving suggestions to your actually playing, not your frame.

The_Steak
05-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but your coach should be giving suggestions to your actually playing, not your frame.

Well, he suggested switching frames. He said my technique and everything was fine.

flashfire276
05-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Regardless...
I say if you love your Kobra, stick with it. But if you really want to think about switching, look into a Babolat Pure Storm GT, Head IG Extreme MP, and a Wilson BLX Pro Open.

edogofhe
05-31-2011, 05:15 PM
I'd recommend the pure storm or the dunlop 300 or the 500 tour. HEAD Extreme is decent too. It all depends on what feels good for you we can suggest but we don't know you so demoing is good

yes, dunlop 500 tour will be decent.

caesar66
05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
I just switched to the blx pro open but hold the kobra in high regard. What your coach said makes no sense-if you like it, don't change. It's a great, versatile stick

Buckethead
05-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Yonex RQiS 1 Tour 95 models if you can get them.
No better spin and control from a frame guaranteed.

Limpinhitter
05-31-2011, 07:36 PM
4.0 player. Big groundstrokes, lots of spin. Don't go in much, and just a spin serve first and second.

My coach suggested that I switched frames because he said "He didn't like the shape of the ball as it left my frame". Does naybody have a good suggestion of a good baseliner's racquet?

-Steak

I call B.S.

First, the Kobra Tour is a GREAT FRAME! There's really nothing else like it. I wouldn't switch from it unless your coach can give you some extremely compelling reasons to do so. Moreover, not liking the shape of the ball as it comes off your frame is a hot steamy pantload. What the hell does that mean? He can't see the shape of the ball as it comes off your frame unless he's looking at it on high speed video, and as far as I know, the frame has nothing to do with that anyway. Give me a break!

If you like the frame, keep it. If you aren't happy with it, I'd highly recommend experimenting with different string set-ups before ditching those Kobra Tours.

On the other hand, you might need a new coach!

Good luck!

flashfire276
05-31-2011, 08:57 PM
I call B.S.
On the other hand, you might need a new coach!
Good luck!

Exactly what I'm saying!!!
A coach is there to grow and perfect any skills you have. They should NEVER tell you to switch racquets, especially since you have a great frame already!
I mean, I play for High School varsity. I played with two-piece Head frame I found at Goodwill for one year. Did he tell to switch racquets, even though I was playing really well? And this does not only go for me, but for everyone.
Unless you have a Walmart frame, a coach should never tell you to switch frames. And since you play great with it already, just get used to your frames on your strokes. And perfect that.

caesar66
06-01-2011, 05:33 AM
As a coach (high school-not private lessons or anything) I don't give racquet advice unless asked or if I have a kid who is being held back due to equipment (the other coach and I buy racquets for a couple of kids a year who play varsity but can't afford a proper frame). If I had a kid swearing to me that he played better with a t2000 than a regular racquet I'd also interject, but on the whole, if a student has a proper racquet they can learn to hit any shot with it.

esgee48
06-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Use racquetfinder.com by TW to see what's similar and this is what the site came up with:

Donnay X-Dual Silver 99
Head Youtek IG Speed 300
Yonex RD Ti 80 Lite
Volkl Catapult 10
Volkl C-9 Pro
Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP
Yonex RDX 500 MP
Fisher Pro Tour

Don't know if all the racquets can be demo'ed.

flashfire276
06-01-2011, 06:28 PM
As a coach (high school-not private lessons or anything) I don't give racquet advice unless asked or if I have a kid who is being held back due to equipment (the other coach and I buy racquets for a couple of kids a year who play varsity but can't afford a proper frame). If I had a kid swearing to me that he played better with a t2000 than a regular racquet I'd also interject, but on the whole, if a student has a proper racquet they can learn to hit any shot with it.

Perfectly stated.
Case closed!