PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Balance Question

myservenow
05-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Just so I can get this right in my head. Assuming you lay the racquet down on a balance board --

If the racquet's balance point is closer to the butt end, then it is head light?

If the racquet's balance point is closer to the head end, then it is head heavy?

I'm asking. Thanks.

BRIANWILSON38
05-31-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm having trouble visualizing it, but from what I can tell you would be correct

Hidious
05-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Yes, that is correct.

TennisCJC
06-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Yes, think of a standard 27 inch racket. If the balance point is 12.5 inches from the butt end than it takes 14.5 inches of head length to equal 12.5 inches of butt length. The head is lighter than the handle portion per inch. The mid-point of a standard length racket is 13.5 inches. A racket with a balance point of 12.5 is 1 inch HL (13.5 - 12.5 = 1 inch) or 8 points HL ( 1 point is 1/8 of an inch).

athiker
06-01-2011, 12:06 PM
TennisCJC laid it out nicely.

Said a slightly different way...whichever end of the racquet it takes more of to balance evenly with the shorter end is obviously lighter per inch so that's the "light" side.

If you try to balance the racquet using the dead center (13.5" on a standard 27" racquet) as the balance point it will become immediately obvious which end is the light end. If you do this and the handle/grip side drops down and raises the "head" end then the racquet is head light. If the head end drops and raises up the handle end then the racquet is head heavy.

Now as TennisCJC wrote you can then move the racquet along the balance fulcrum till the racquet balances, measure the distance you had to move it and figure out just how head light or head heavy the racquet is.

myservenow
06-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Yes, this makes perfect sense but, alas, I am a right brained person and had to have reassurance on the concept.

Also, it didn't help that the very first explanation on a google search had it backwards. The explanation immediately didn't make sense to me, but I found it on the internet so it had to be true, right?

So thanks again for the help.