PDA

View Full Version : Racket stiffness

alen_david
05-31-2011, 08:07 PM
What stiffness rating should be considered stiff? Is a rating of 67 considered to be stiff? At what rating does it start to get flexy?

BobFL
05-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Hard to tell. It depends what you like. For me, 65+ is stiff...

snoflewis
05-31-2011, 08:30 PM
also depends on the racket itself and the string setup.
classic rackets have higher stiffness ratings but don't feel as harsh as rackets w/ the same stiffness ratings.

personally for me,
< 63 flexy
> 66 stiff

LeeD
05-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Everyone's different, in preferences.
I use a 68, mute it with 16 gauge strings at 54, and a 4 5/8 grip with overgrip. It's stiff for sure.
My Mfil 200's were closer to 60, kinda resonating after a big hit.

alen_david
05-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I realized that personal preference relates a lot... But I'd like to know in general (if generality could be established - might be hard to). But I know one thing is for sure - the new IG extremes are never going to be considered flexy with their scary stiffness rating of 75. Never seen a racket with that high of a rating ever before...

alen_david
05-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Lowering the string tension plays a lot in how stiff the racket feels... Right?

snoflewis
05-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Lowering the string tension plays a lot in how stiff the racket feels... Right?

yep. any racket strung at 80 lbs will probably feel stiff and boardy. if a racket is too stiff for you, it's usually ideal to drop a few lbs in tension and see how it works

alen_david
05-31-2011, 08:38 PM
And yeah, I definitely feel my ag100 flex after a hard hit (esp. after a hard OHBH). With it's stiffness rating of 61 (I think), I wouldn't be surprised. Ag100s are great rackets IMO.

alen_david
05-31-2011, 08:45 PM
yep. any racket strung at 80 lbs will probably feel stiff and boardy. if a racket is too stiff for you, it's usually ideal to drop a few lbs in tension and see how it works

Makes me think about Sampras... Didn't he use to string his rackets at mid to high 70s and plus he was using the PS85... Which I would bet would be considered a stiff racket... And to think about the amount of power he can generate with that setup (his rocket serves)... Wow.

flashfire276
05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Makes me think about Sampras... Didn't he use to string his rackets at mid to high 70s and plus he was using the PS85... Which I would bet would be considered a stiff racket... And to think about the amount of power he can generate with that setup (his rocket serves)... Wow.

Hehehe... Yes, that man was a beast indeed.

Back to our topic. Yes, it REALLY depends on who you are. And I mean that as your playing style, how healthy you are, and how old you are (not by age, but by how old you FEEL).
For me, anything higher than 68 is stiff. I can play with 70 without pains at all (my backup AeroPro Control is 70 RA), but I just don't like how it feels. However, there's some high school kids that play with stiff widebodies that have 75 RA, and they seem to do okay (for now). And for older or more arm-sensitive users, anything above 63 is out of the picture.
But I think there's a good border around the 67/68 area, because that's usually where the arm pains start.

nickarnold2000
05-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I realized that personal preference relates a lot... But I'd like to know in general (if generality could be established - might be hard to). But I know one thing is for sure - the new IG extremes are never going to be considered flexy with their scary stiffness rating of 75. Never seen a racket with that high of a rating ever before...
I don't get it. Why does the IG Extreme have a stiffness rating of 75 but then listed as having low power?? I thought more stiffness led to more power.

flashfire276
05-31-2011, 09:43 PM
I don't get it. Why does the IG Extreme have a stiffness rating of 75 but then listed as having low power?? I thought more stiffness led to more power.

Trust me, that racquet is not "low powered" by any means. It's literally the Pure Drive of Head racquets.
And yes, you're correct. Higher stiffness means more energy is deflected, and less energy is absorbed on impact.
Think of stiff racquets as a wall, and a flexy racquet like tarp/large cloth. If you throw a ball at the wall, it would come back at roughly the same speed. If you throw it at a the tarp, it's going to settle in a bit because it's absorbing the impact, and it comes out softly and slowly.