PDA

View Full Version : is oil/vinegar dressing bad?

tom-selleck
06-27-2005, 11:24 AM
i always hear how you should watch the amount of salad dressing... and i understand somewhat the resistance to mayo-based dressing.

but what about oil and vinegar (with a few other ingredients)... thinking newman's brand, which is canola oil (i think), vinegar, garlic, a little bit of parmesian cheese etc.

i often see nuts and olive oil recommended as necessary and healthy.

and even if you drench with dressing, it's probably only a couple of TBSP and maybe 150 calories (which you need if you work out).......... nicest thing is that it's a great way to eat a ton of greens and i find dark green lettuce/spinach with dressing really fills you up, so you don't eat other bad stuff.

Kirko
06-27-2005, 03:50 PM
all dressing except fat-free is loaded with fat. I use fat free and only a little.

tennismx
06-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Is it possible to make your own oil/vinegar dressing? I know they won't mix, but it might be possible to choose a "good-for-you" oil and a vinegar. I guess as long as you don't put too much on your salad, then it can't be too bad. Now I'm hungry for a salad. Haha.

NoBadMojo
06-27-2005, 04:33 PM
many of the salad dressings are loaded w. fat as Kirko says.....but are they bad for you? not really unless you are trying to lose weight...that's what is funny about alot of dieters who think they are doing great by eating salads, but they dont lose weight because they put a bunch of dressing on a salad to make it taste good. sal;ad dressing is very caloric for even a very small amount. alot of salad dressings are useless calores in that they dont really give you the fuel you need if you are burning it up playing ball. many of them while very fatty have no cholesterol.

tennismx
06-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I can eat salad plain. I mean like the dark green "lettuce" (whatever it is), with tomatoes, olives, and cheese. That's enough flavoring for me.

Ronaldo
06-27-2005, 04:49 PM
tennismx, back in the day, we had to make our own Italian salad dressing with Olive oil, vinegar, and Good Seasons mix. We also had to make our own Ranch dressing with Hidden Valley mix. That was 35 yrs ago.

tennismx
06-27-2005, 05:09 PM
wow thats a while back. i never knew that. that makes people today look spoiled lol

Ronaldo
06-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Still sell it and all we did was shake it up. Think that's work, lemme tell you about ice cream. Seriously, google fat-free salad dressings and you must use your own ingredients.

scez
06-27-2005, 05:42 PM
My mom makes her own salad dressing, it is sooo good. But a lot of dressing is bad. A lot of people dont know that, and think they are being good by having a lot of salad with a ton of dressing.

POGO
06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
I can eat salad plain. I mean like the dark green "lettuce" (whatever it is), with tomatoes, olives, and cheese. That's enough flavoring for me.

Well, the cheese kinda not make it plain. Regular cheese is loaded with fat, unless you use the non fat kind.

forehander
06-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Olive oil and vinegar are good for you. My wife is from southern Europe so we have some customs from there. Stores sell a pair of matching containers for the table. One is to fill with olive oil and the other vinegar. Just grab and pour them on your salad. No need to buy the premixed stuff.

You should make an effort to add olive oil to your diet. Forget about the calories in this case. This is one of the benificial fats.

dennis1188
06-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Stay away from vinegar, sour and fatty foods, , when healing from injury. When u hv inflamed muscles/joints to promote natural cleansing and healing, U need to purge yr organs and body tissue. Otherwise, limited consumption is ok.

tennismx
06-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Well, the cheese kinda not make it plain. Regular cheese is loaded with fat, unless you use the non fat kind.
Oh c'mon. You dont have to totally eliminate cheese from your diet cause it has fat. just don't pile a lot on. And plus cheese is dairy, you need dairy. If I were on an actual "diet" then I would switch to fat free. I meant "plain" as in no dressing.

tricky nicky
07-07-2005, 10:24 AM
I totally agree with what forehander states.

southern european diets are some of the best in the world

the containers are an interesting part of our diet.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/trickynicky1/tabletop.jpg

heres what we got in ours.......

spanish olive oil in one pourer.

white wine vinegar with whole kashmiri chillie peppers in the other pourer.

goes down a treat with any meal especially a salad.

cut a clove of garlic in half and rub it on wholemeal bread then dip it in the oil and vineagar.

delicious..................

ps: for the adults a couple of glasses of cava or red table wine a week is good for you also.

regards,

tricky.

esrb
07-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Put some olive oil, then a few drops of balsamig winegar and a lot of garlic powder...black bread....a good Merlot....thatīs life....

tricky nicky
07-08-2005, 01:25 AM
esrb,

food and drink man what a combination.

after a good game of tennis theres nothing like the preparation of some simple food and drink............to take your mind off the beating I have just been given.

regards,

tricky.

crosscourt
07-08-2005, 02:36 AM
I agree. One of the good things about Sunday lunch with your family is that it helps to ease some of the physical and sometimes mental soreness of Sunday morning tennis.

As for dressing, put 2 tbsps of olive oil in a jar with 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and some crushed garlic, put the lid on the jar (v important -- I often forget) and then shake it. Voila, as M Chirac would say, and he is an expert on food.

cc