PDA

View Full Version : To: all the TW forum experts. Serious question on Grip size. Please help

Fedace
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Did this happen to any of you ? I have been playing with 4 and 5/8 grip size for many years even though my hand sizing chart saids i should use 4 1/2 grip size. and for really odd reason, i kept on getting more and more comfy with bigger and bigger grip size and now i am using 4 and 7/8 grip size. I have built it up with Very thick replacement grip ( Gamma Pro RX ) and with 2 very thick over-grips like Pro supex overgrip.

Now after 3-4 years, i am realizing that it maybe hurting me on the serve. I am finding that it is more difficult to pronate and control the serve with such big grip. Do you guys think this makes sense ?? and also i am getting late on some shots, does this make sense ??

What do you guys recommend ? should i go back to 5/8 as before ?

eman resu
06-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Yep. Smaller is better for serving.

Fuji
06-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I'd try going back to your "home" grip size and see how it works out. I'm surprised you still even have bevels left! :) I know for me, pronating with an XL grip is difficult.

-Fuji

Fedace
06-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I'd try going back to your "home" grip size and see how it works out. I'm surprised you still even have bevels left! :) I know for me, pronating with an XL grip is difficult.

-Fuji

I just felt like it was more difficult to get the Massive topspin with the home grip size. i feel like i can get more topspin on my shots with bigger grip like 4 7/8 grip size. Does that make sense ?

and the Trend in modern tennis is Smallest grip size possible as 90% of the pros are doing. Is this also the same for the Amateurs as well ?? If so why ?

vsbabolat
06-01-2011, 03:09 PM
I just felt like it was more difficult to get the Massive topspin with the home grip size. i feel like i can get more topspin on my shots with bigger grip like 4 7/8 grip size. Does that make sense ?

and the Trend in modern tennis is Smallest grip size possible as 90% of the pros are doing. Is this also the same for the Amateurs as well ?? If so why ?

actually Fedace the grip size players have been using has decreased in size to get more spin. Guys like Nadal use a very small grip size. I believe 4 1/4 if I am not mistaken. If you want more spin go smaller in grip size.

Fedace
06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
actually Fedace the grip size players have been using has decreased in size to get more spin. Guys like Nadal use a very small grip size. I believe 4 1/4 if I am not mistaken. If you want more spin go smaller in grip size.

but can that be true for amateurs as well ? and what about for volleying ? also i felt like i could control my volleys bette with bigger grip size. Am i wrong on this too ?

Fuji
06-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Basically serving and volleying will be your most consistent with your actual grip size, as with ground strokes. More whip + spin will be available with a slightly smaller size, but you lack the stability you'll need at net. It's a fine line trade off in this situation!

-Fuji

Fedace
06-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Basically serving and volleying will be your most consistent with your actual grip size, as with ground strokes. More whip + spin will be available with a slightly smaller size, but you lack the stability you'll need at net. It's a fine line trade off in this situation!

-Fuji

so in both situations, still,,there is no place for Bigger grip size than actual size ?? now i am really not sure why i kept on going to bigger and bigger grip size ???????

Fuji
06-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Well I guess you might have a tad more stability with a larger grip, but I found personally that it slips more easily when really going for something.

As for why you went to such a large grip size, I couldn't tell you! Maybe it was all in your head, or maybe you really played better with it, I have no clue! :)

-Fuji

LeeD
06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Why not take poll of Stanford's varsity team and use their average for your new grip size?
Prolly 4 3/8 with an overgrip making it back to 1/2.
Swing harder while watching the ball is needed.

AndrewD
06-01-2011, 03:57 PM
What do you guys recommend ? should i go back to 5/8 as before ?

Just experiment.

On shots where you want to or get can away with using a lot of wrist (serve, topspin groundstrokes) the smaller grip is great. On shots where you want to keep the wrist firm/locked (volleys, slice backhand/forehand), it's not so good. Work out what you need most and go from there.

Fedace
06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Just experiment.

On shots where you want to or get can away with using a lot of wrist (serve, topspin groundstrokes) the smaller grip is great. On shots where you want to keep the wrist firm/locked (volleys, slice backhand/forehand), it's not so good. Work out what you need most and go from there.

maybe because i had trouble keeping my wrist firm and locked and that was why i kept on going to bigger grip size ? didn't think of it that way, but it makes sense to me.

Fedace
06-01-2011, 07:16 PM
One other thing is that with Bigger grip size,,even with specs exactly the same, the racket5 with bigger grip size feels Heavier. and more difficult to generate racket head speed. Did you guys notice this ??

LeeD
06-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I play with 5/8ths.
Whenever I borrow a smaller gripped racket, the head feels heavy.
Talking same brand, same model.

Fedace
06-01-2011, 07:23 PM
I play with 5/8ths.
Whenever I borrow a smaller gripped racket, the head feels heavy.
Talking same brand, same model.

well, that part is true. I was told that bigger grip size will have more mass in the handle. This came directly from Wilson rep. thus will be slightly more head heavier than the bigger grip size. so you are not imagining it. But even then, you will have easier time generating racket head speed with smaller grip size. Federer himself said this in the past.

Fedace
06-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Just experiment.

I think i felt like i can prevent shots from flying long by making the grip big, if that makes sense?

LeeD
06-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Aren't your contradicting yourself?
SMALLER grips, you can swing faster, keep the ball IN with topspin.
Bigger grips, you lock your wrist, swing slower, because the ball might go LONG.
And yes, there is more material in bigger grips, so more weight, but how much?
And every Stanford varsity player uses smaller than 1/2 grips, why are using such a big grip?
Just WW finish with a small grip, and don't volley.