PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for the KPS88?

thug the bunny
06-02-2011, 09:52 AM
So I let my buddy play with my KPS88 that I got only 6 months ago while I started using my new PK Redondo 93. Of course, he loved it. I could see his game elevate a little more every time he used it. So, he looked around on the net but could not find one with the right grip size for any price. Long story short, I sold him my favorite stick, but only because I am really coming around with the Redondo, and I got $50 plus a very nice baitcasting rod and reel barely used.

Now I am without my 88, and although I like the Redondo, it is not the same - alot softer and flexier with different balance. Also I feel naked with only 2 sticks now. I need another stick that feels like the 88 - hefty, a little stiff, thin beam, with that nice rock solid feel. I'm considering the Head YTP Mid. Any thoughts on this, and anyone have any other suggestions?

caesar66
06-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Maybe try that ridiculously heavy pro kennex? Ki5pse I think? It's about 13 oz straight off the shelf.

T-ennis 888
06-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Thug (cool name by the way!), amongst modern frames nothing hits like the KPS88. If racquets were weapons in the Transformers Universe - the KPS88 could only ever be Megatron's fusion cannon :)

I have demoed a few sticks the past year or so and not a single one of them gives you the ability to simply bludgeon the ball and your opponent (not literally of course but during games :)) into submission. Having used it yourself you will know its virtues well.

I carry a few other racquets in my bag and something approaching (again for modern frames) the "sheer bludgeon-ability" (to coin a phrase) though it is still not in the same league by any stretch of the imagination as the KPS88, is the Aerogel 4D 200 Tour. I guess if you got one and applied generous amounts of lead to the hoop and counterbalanced that weight with some more at handle (Dunlop sticks are well easy to modify at the handle) it's possible you may get something approaching the KPS88 but I would still be surprised if this was the case. I usually hit with the AG4D 200T at stock form and it's rock solid (extremely annoying if not present in a stick) and is a very, very sweet hit in its own right which you may will enjoy. Off the top of my head (though please don't quote me on this) I think it may be similarly balanced to the KPS88 too.

The other suggestion I can offer is using a K90 or a BLX90. Simply put when playing well with it, I personally like the K90 better than anything I have every hit with. The K90 swings a bit easier than the KPS88, it is also rock-solid and provides tremendous "bludgeon-ability" though not quite as much as it's heavier sibling. I find better directional control with the K90 when serving and the balls produced are also heavy. It is not quite as sublime at the net as the KPS88 (come on - nothing volleys better!). I also find that during rallies I control the ball a bit better/spray the ball a bit less with the K90. This could well be due to the weight of the KPS88 meaning that if my footwork is off by a bit the mechanics of my stroke aren't optimal or the fact that I don't use poly strings (due to them giving me shoulderache in the past) and a poly would definitely tone down the power of the KPS88.

I think other people on these boards have mentioned a tool (that TW have kindly developed) to pick racquets by inputting specifications somewhere on this site. Maybe if you start by searching for heavy racquets you might find others to demo? I hope my yapping (this has turned into a much, much longer post than I anticipated!) helps you but if you can't find another KPS88 do think about giving the K90/B90 a shot – you might well like it. Cheers!

flashfire276
06-02-2011, 11:16 AM
The only thing I can POSSIBLY think of is a BLX90 with a buttload of lead under the bumper.
But yes, nothing can really compare to the K88. No one makes racquets that heavy, at all.
Kind of a sign that the modern game of extreme topspin/baseline has finally took over, and replaced the classic game of flat strokes/ S&V.

Cup8489
06-02-2011, 11:21 AM
What gripsize were you looking for?

movdqa
06-02-2011, 11:30 AM
The Ki5 PSE is as heavy but it doesn't play anything like the KPS88. It may make for a good racquet to use if you have temporary arm problems with the KPS. The PSE is quite a bit more flexible and plays softer - that's not bad if you prefer it and it's certainly easier on your arm.

Larrysümmers
06-02-2011, 11:34 AM
The KPS is a sweet frame, i will be honest and say it cannot be replaced. if you like the feel, wt, power just pure manlyness of a stick worthy of having the legend Pistol Pete's signature on it, then that is the only stick that will give it to you. The smallest frame is the prestige mid, 89.5in^2, but the flex is way different. Closest i would say is the blx tour 90

thug the bunny
06-02-2011, 11:47 AM
What gripsize were you looking for?

Mine was 3/8.

Larry, the Prestige Mid flex is way different? I thought the specs were similar (~63 flex?)

Larrysümmers
06-02-2011, 12:02 PM
The KPS flex is 67, according to the kps TW review. that is a big number when it comes to flex. i used my friends kps for awhile and the difference in flex-lack of it-is crazy. i just happen to like the more flex better not only because it just feels better for me, but i feel like i can get more spin using a flexier stick.
the one thing that the prestige mid has, that everyone seems to rant about when it comes to the kps, is the stability on volleys.
I will admit that nothing feels the same as a volley of a heavy small headed racket.

roundiesee
06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
The YTP Mid is a good stick; you will have to lead it up slightly to reproduce the same weight as the KPS, but the Head will "feel" different cf the KPS. If you want a very close "feel" to the KPS, it will probably have to be either the K90 or the older Tour 90; good luck in trying to find these :)

alen_david
06-03-2011, 04:11 AM
Closest one I'd think is the K90... BLX90 is close too but it has such a different feel, it isn't as crisp as the K90 but still has that traditional Wilson midsize frame going.

movdqa
06-03-2011, 04:15 AM
I'd agree on the K90 being pretty close.

You can feel a bit more flex in the K90.

If you want another KPS, just watch the used boards. There may be some retailers still selling one here and there too. I've looked around the websites of small shops and sometimes see one here or there.

alen_david
06-03-2011, 04:17 AM
I'd agree on the K90 being pretty close.

You can feel a bit more flex in the K90.

If you want another KPS, just watch the used boards. There may be some retailers still selling one here and there too. I've looked around the websites of small shops and sometimes see one here or there.

Hey man, how'd you get your 88s to weigh less than stock specs? :shock::shock::shock:

movdqa
06-03-2011, 07:21 AM
I bought five of them: three from TW, two from a board member. The three from TW were 12.7, 12.9 and 13.1. The two from the board member were 12.6 and 12.8. I leaded the 12.7 to 13.0 and am very happy with the 12.9 to 13.1 models. I use the 12.9 outside and the other two inside.

I will eventually work on getting the other two to match up with two of the ones that I mainly use but they're just in reserve now so that I don't have to worry much about the future. I keep my eyes open for frames in the for sale section - I'd like to get another 13.0 or 13.1 in 4 5/8s. I add an overgrip for an extra 0.2 oz.

I was giving some thought to tossing some lead into the 12.6 to see what a polarized setup would feel like. Maybe down the road.

Wilson specs mean that your frame can be +/- up to 0.4 oz and TW has been accommodating in finding something for me when I ask for it - if they have it.

Supposedly Wilson is working on something new for Pete and it may be something a lot bigger (100 sq in?) as he seems to like the Babolat he's playing with now.

Larrysümmers
06-03-2011, 07:51 AM
I bought five of them: three from TW, two from a board member. The three from TW were 12.7, 12.9 and 13.1. The two from the board member were 12.6 and 12.8. I leaded the 12.7 to 13.0 and am very happy with the 12.9 to 13.1 models. I use the 12.9 outside and the other two inside.

I will eventually work on getting the other two to match up with two of the ones that I mainly use but they're just in reserve now so that I don't have to worry much about the future. I keep my eyes open for frames in the for sale section - I'd like to get another 13.0 or 13.1 in 4 5/8s. I add an overgrip for an extra 0.2 oz.

I was giving some thought to tossing some lead into the 12.6 to see what a polarized setup would feel like. Maybe down the road.

Wilson specs mean that your frame can be +/- up to 0.4 oz and TW has been accommodating in finding something for me when I ask for it - if they have it.

Supposedly Wilson is working on something new for Pete and it may be something a lot bigger (100 sq in?) as he seems to like the Babolat he's playing with now.

is this what you have observed or is this actually wilson's standard. either way that is over 10 grams :o

movdqa
06-03-2011, 07:54 AM
That's what Tennis Warehouse told me when I asked them why my racquets were so different. They can also be off by quite a bit on balance too.