PDA

View Full Version : 4 Rackets, but 2 different grip sizes...

Rusty669
06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
So here's the deal:I own 4 Wilson rackets, and I love them to bits. The only slight problem I have is that 2 of them have the gripsize 4 1/4 and the other two 4 3/8.
Now I have actually always been playing with a 4 1/4 size my whole life.
All of the rackets feature a leather grip.
So in order to match them up a little(i.e make the 4 3/8 grip a little smaller) I took the original wilson leather grip off and installed a TW leather grip(the thinnest 1.3 mm one) pulling it really tight and hardly overlapping.
Since I have been playing more with the actual 4 3/8 recently I seem to have come acustomed to this grip and when I changed back to the 4 1/4 I thought it was a tad too small for me.

Now here comes my question:-)

What would be the best way to match the racket grip sizes?I would like the 4 1/4 to be a little bigger,but I have already overlapped the overgrip a little more than usual and I don't like the feel.
Would overlapping the leather grip a bit more be a solution?
Selling the 4 1/4s is not an option by the way!:-)

Thanks

Fedace
06-02-2011, 12:39 PM
send it to RPNY and have them change to 3/8. how tall are you by the way ?? such Small grip size ??

Rusty669
06-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Sending it to RPNY probably is the best solution, you are right.
I am located in Europe though, so it would probably be a risk sending them there...But maybe I should contact them first.
On a personal note, I am around 5'10", that should be 178cm if my maths is correct!:-)
Gripsize 2 always seemed to be my natural choice, but 3 also feels great right now

flashfire276
06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
No no... no need to spend so much money on something like that. I mean, if you want it perfect, sure! But if you want something that would work just fine, here's an cost effective method.
So for the 4 1/4 racquets, put 2 layers of athletic tape on the bare handle. Grip it with your nice leather, overgrip, and you're good to go!
The thing about athletic tape is that it's very easy to use (adhesive back), very thin (for precise use), it's extremely light (minimal weight gain/balance change), and it's extremely cheap (about $1 for a giant roll).

Rusty669
06-02-2011, 02:37 PM
No no... no need to spend so much money on something like that. I mean, if you want it perfect, sure! But if you want something that would work just fine, here's an cost effective method.
So for the 4 1/4 racquets, put 2 layers of athletic tape on the bare handle. Grip it with your nice leather, overgrip, and you're good to go!
The thing about athletic tape is that it's very easy to use (adhesive back), very thin (for precise use), it's extremely light (minimal weight gain/balance change), and it's extremely cheap (about $1 for a giant roll).

I very much like your idea!:-)It sounds a lot easier and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Would you put the tape onto each bevel or just the main ones?
I think I'll give that a try first thing tomorrow!

eliza
06-02-2011, 02:43 PM
OK guys, excuse me, but what is RPNY? And how much a grip size change cost?

Fuji
06-02-2011, 03:34 PM

It's a racket customization service if my memory serves me right! They do pretty much anything an average player like us would need done to their rackets. Matching, grip size change, etc etc. I have a pro shop that does most of the same things they do, but I'm sure not to the same degree of precision! :)

-Fuji

EDIT: For the prices, I believe I saw it posted somewhere it was around 50 bucks a racket.... I could be totally off as I'm just going off the top of my head here!

flashfire276
06-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I very much like your idea!:-)It sounds a lot easier and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Would you put the tape onto each bevel or just the main ones?
I think I'll give that a try first thing tomorrow!

Apply it just like overgrip, except on the handle! I have it on my racquet right now. xD
It's really thin too! Much cheaper AND thinner than overgrip, so you can get the exact size you want. Best of all, it's almost weightless.

mhj202
06-02-2011, 06:03 PM

RP stands for Roman Prokes, who is/was Agassi's personal stringer. If you've read "Open", you may recall a section about him. He's there during the week all the time but travels to tournaments on weekends and during majors.

Virtua Tennis
06-03-2011, 12:30 AM
So here's the deal:I own 4 Wilson rackets, and I love them to bits. The only slight problem I have is that 2 of them have the gripsize 4 1/4 and the other two 4 3/8.
Now I have actually always been playing with a 4 1/4 size my whole life.
All of the rackets feature a leather grip.
So in order to match them up a little(i.e make the 4 3/8 grip a little smaller) I took the original wilson leather grip off and installed a TW leather grip(the thinnest 1.3 mm one) pulling it really tight and hardly overlapping.
Since I have been playing more with the actual 4 3/8 recently I seem to have come acustomed to this grip and when I changed back to the 4 1/4 I thought it was a tad too small for me.

Now here comes my question:-)

What would be the best way to match the racket grip sizes?I would like the 4 1/4 to be a little bigger,but I have already overlapped the overgrip a little more than usual and I don't like the feel.
Would overlapping the leather grip a bit more be a solution?
Selling the 4 1/4s is not an option by the way!:-)

Thanks

Why not buy a build up sleave and leave that nasty tape out of it. Also it's alot easier to take off if you don't like it.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-SLEEV.html

eliza
06-03-2011, 07:16 AM
RP stands for Roman Prokes, who is/was Agassi's personal stringer. If you've read "Open", you may recall a section about him. He's there during the week all the time but travels to tournaments on weekends and during majors.

OK but is the operation truly expensive? I mean is just a grip.....should not be more than an oil change....

alidisperanza
06-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Whoah woah whaoh--- TW sells heat shrink sleeves to change the grip sizes. A 1/2 grip should take care of it with minimal weight change.

2.00 fix!

flashfire276
06-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Why not buy a build up sleave and leave that nasty tape out of it. Also it's alot easier to take off if you don't like it.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-SLEEV.html

But athletic tape is $1, and it's already easy to take off. Did I mention it's much lighter than a sleeve?

Rusty669
06-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I have tried my luck with the athletic tape first today,and it seems to do the trick!
Obviously the proof of the pudding will be wether the tape starts sliding around or if it will stay in place.But at the moment I am quite happy wit the result.
The 1/2 size heat shrink also sounds appealing, so in case anything goes wrong I can give that a go!
Thanks a lot guys, as always people have good ideas here:-)

alidisperanza
06-03-2011, 08:47 AM
True but the tape is sticky and messy-- I've tried both and liked the heat shrink method more-- it's a lot more professional and clean looking

flashfire276
06-03-2011, 09:53 AM
I have tried my luck with the athletic tape first today,and it seems to do the trick!
Obviously the proof of the pudding will be wether the tape starts sliding around or if it will stay in place.But at the moment I am quite happy wit the result.
The 1/2 size heat shrink also sounds appealing, so in case anything goes wrong I can give that a go!
Thanks a lot guys, as always people have good ideas here:-)

Trust me, it's not gonna slide around!! =)
The adhesive is already great on the tape. Not to mention it's very thin and it holds it shape very well, which makes it already hold onto the racquet. And with the pressure of the grip over it, it's not going to move around. Unless you put it REALLY sloppy, it's gonna stay there forever... xD

goran_ace
06-03-2011, 10:10 AM
sorry to chime in so late, but my take on it is to buld your 4 1/4's up to a full 4 3/8 w a sleeve because of how the grip is going to feel. if you have a 4 3/8 with a thin leather grip pulled tight that's going to feel pretty hard. then if you've got a 4 1/4 built up with tape and grip and overgrip it's going to feel softer. something like that would bother me much more than the amount of variation in weight at the handle from the sleeve.

flashfire276
06-03-2011, 10:11 AM
True but the tape is sticky and messy-- I've tried both and liked the heat shrink method more-- it's a lot more professional and clean looking

True that. It's much more sleek and clean looking. Without all the rough cotton tape, you get a clean leather looking handle. And it's much simpler to remove!