PDA

View Full Version : Trying to downsize the grip of my babolat aeropro storm

bignate76
06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
i bought a babolat aeropro storm cortex. my old racquet was a 5/8 grip so when i found this one i jumped on it. the racquet is awsome but the grip is to big . i am not experienced enough with racquets so i wanted to ask the dumb question : CAN I DOWNSIZE THE GRIP? any answers are welcome!

LeeD
06-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Remove grip, use only an overgrip.
If you have any carpenter skills, you can plane down each of the flat surfaces with a power planer availible at HarborFreight for only $39.
If you can clamp the racket down, and don't want to invest in surfboard shaping power tools, you can file down each flat.

bignate76
06-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Remove grip, use only an overgrip.
If you have any carpenter skills, you can plane down each of the flat surfaces with a power planer availible at HarborFreight for only $39.
If you can clamp the racket down, and don't want to invest in surfboard shaping power tools, you can file down each flat.

i removed worn overgrip that was on the racquet and went with a babolat woofer grip. still feels funny in my hand. this is my first babolat and a serious upgrade in racquet from my wilson hammer. i might try the shaving down of the grip.

LeeD
06-02-2011, 01:11 PM
"still feels FUNNY in my hand.."
Does that mean the grip is too big, too small, or is the shape something you are not used to?

LeeD
06-02-2011, 01:12 PM
I find it hard to believe you can find a L5 Bab anywhere in the world, least of all, an L6.

bignate76
06-02-2011, 01:17 PM
i bought it off "big auction site" before i found the TW board. i didnt overpay for the racquet and all the numbers matched up on it. had it restrung at my local shop and he told me it was a legit babolat. i was hoping the more i hit with it the better it will feel to me. but everytime i play i want a smaller grip size and thats all thats on my mind.

LeeD
06-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Did you try just using one overgrip, no grip underneath? That should drop the size at least one. It's not recommended for long play, but you need to find what you want in that racket, and 30 minutes of hitting with just and overgrip won't hurt your hands.

bignate76
06-02-2011, 01:50 PM
thanks for the tips. i plan on going home and playing around with the grip tonight.

un6a
06-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Easiest way to reduce grip size is to use thinner replacement grip and stretch it as much as u can. It will reduce grip size atleast about half size. For example Babolat Skin feel replacement grip is good for that, but u need overgrip over this one, because it isn't absorbing sweat well.

U can use only overgrip instead of replacement grip as suggested, but balance will be way off.

scotus
06-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Babolat racquets come with thick original grips but the handle itself is actually slightly smaller than Wilsons of the same grip size.

All you have to do is remove the original grip and put a thinner replacement grip (preferably a non-Babolat, just to be on the same side) on it. The above-mentioned Babolat Skin Feel, however, is very thin and should work very well in your case.

bignate76
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
i took it down to bare handleing then place put pro-team tacky on the racquet worked out really well for me. playing in the baton rouge crawfish classic this weekend so i am going to put this bad boy to the test!