PDA

View Full Version : How Heavy A Racquet for 10.5 yr old Girl?

Bama'sBest
06-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Sectional Lvl player, avg size/weight. Presently plays with a 9.6 oz KSting. 2-handed both sides. Seems as the girls get bigger/faster she's having a tougher time putting balls away. Tonight she picked up my PK 7G and was crushing the ball (felt more like I was hitting w/a 4.5 buddy than my kid). Even served well with it. I doubt she could keep it up for a match, let alone a tournament. So what weight/SW would you recommend? At first glance I was thinking 10.7-11.0, 4-5 pts headlight (KBlade team or PB10 295).

Thanks much!

fuzz nation
06-04-2011, 07:43 AM
The trouble is that racquets come with labels and spec's on them, but kids don't. Two summers ago I gave a 12.5 oz. Prince NXG mid-plus to a girl about that age (maybe exactly that age) and she went wild in love with the thing. Apparently she still uses it and is doing just fine.

In your case, it's hard to know what might be right for this young slugger, but a racquet with some more beef will certainly be able to do some more work for her and also be more stable against harder hitters. I suppose the only guideline I can offer is to be careful to not rule any potential racquet out until she tries it and decides that it's not right for her.

One young lady I've helped over recent years has been cracking the ball nicely with two generations of the Babolat Pure Drive. Now that she's headed into her senior year in high school, she's more grown up and swings with no shortage of power, but has decided to switch to a softer frame since trying out some other options that give her different control and feel. Among the high school girls I've coached, she's among a few that I've seen who have become more physically capable on the court and have made a switch to something that plays less "hot".

A racquet's static weight and balance determine most of it's handling characteristics, but combined with the racquet's flex, I've found that those three spec's together give me the best prediction of any frame's response and overall personality. Comfortable heft is always desirable, but flex (along with string type and tension) will have a big effect on the liveliness of a racquet. A heavier frame might be powerful without also being terribly stiff, but an especially soft racquet can be flush in comfort and control, yet also rather unresponsive.

Hominator
06-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Sectional Lvl player, avg size/weight. Presently plays with a 9.6 oz KSting. 2-handed both sides. Seems as the girls get bigger/faster she's having a tougher time putting balls away. Tonight she picked up my PK 7G and was crushing the ball (felt more like I was hitting w/a 4.5 buddy than my kid). Even served well with it. I doubt she could keep it up for a match, let alone a tournament. So what weight/SW would you recommend? At first glance I was thinking 10.7-11.0, 4-5 pts headlight (KBlade team or PB10 295).

Thanks much!

You may want to check out the Volkl Organix 6. My wife uses it and I know a former female college player who uses it and they both play very well with it. Its even balance makes it play heavier than you would think.

Limpinhitter
06-04-2011, 08:27 AM

First, not all 10 year olds are equal. They can be anywhere from 4' to 5'4" or more, and weigh anywhere from 50 to 100 lbs., or more. Anyway, you'd be surprised how heavy kids can go. Learning how to use the mass of a racquet properly is very important, IMO. You don't want to go too light.

For example, when I was in juniors, almost everyone who could "play" used a Kramer, Fort or Davis Classic in a 4 1/2 "light" size. Back then, "light" was about 12+ ounces unstrung depending on the make of the racquet. No one even thought about a "light" racquet being too heavy. Today, rec players call that a "demanding" frame.

Having said that, I wouldn't go any lighter than about 10.5oz. unstrung. You might want to give her a crack at an 11.5 - 12oz. demo just to see what she does with it. I wouldn't worry about her stamina with the frame for now. Even if she has a little trouble at first, she'll gain arm strength and learn to adjust and maximize the benefits of the mass of a heavier frame.

Rabbit
06-04-2011, 08:35 AM
let her be the judge....

just keep her string non-poly and she should be fine

Fuji
06-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Fuzz it's funny you mention that! I lent my girlfriend who is power baseliner use my Yonex RQiS 1 Tour, leaded to a fairly hefty 12.7oz now; and she loved it! She hits just as hard as a lot of 4.5 guys I play against and the low power and softness really helped her be able to hit through the ball. Plus she has some arm troubles so it was great for her!

She ended up buying a http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_K_Factor_Kobra_Team_FX/descpageRCWILSON-KOBTM.html which she adores now. It's soft, a good balance, and lets her hit with all the power she wants!

Good luck on your search!

-Fuji

goran_ace
06-04-2011, 02:33 PM
At first glance I was thinking 10.7-11.0, 4-5 pts headlight (KBlade team or PB10 295).

sounds like a good starting point. don't let the heavy/extremely headlight/midsize-obsessed people get into your head on this one. 100 sq in, close to even balance, and 10.5-11 oz should be just about right for her.

Timbo's hopeless slice
06-04-2011, 11:42 PM
My 11 y/o boy hits very hard and is currently playing with Volkl X-4s.These string up at about 10.3 oz and are 4 pts HL. Liam is a bit smaller than average but quite strong.

(He had a hit with a friends C-10 Classic the other night and pronounced it "awesome, but it's so heavy, I wouldn't want to play 3 sets with that!)"

Hope this helps.

SFrazeur
06-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Bama'sBest,

Look at racquets with a 100" headsize, strung 10.5-11.0oz, with a swingweight in the 310 range. Also, look for racquets with TEAM in the title. They usually have those specs.

-SF

SFrazeur
06-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Yes. Years ago children did play with very heavy racquets. Again that was years ago. Furthermore, modern strokes make very heavy racquets rather inappropriate for children.

-SF

OldButGame
06-05-2011, 06:08 PM
To the OP;

You mentioned Your daughter was able to use the heavy racquet with skill and competence on an 'immediate level',...But your concern sounds to be for her stamina with that same racquet over a match.
One thing to consider is that kids have it all over us adults in the 'stamina' category. I wouldnt underestimate her ability to use it over a 'long haul'. Maybe take her out and have her use it for an extended period, as in a long match,..and see how she does?:neutral:

TennisCJC
06-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I think you instinct is correct.

Static weight 10.5-11.5
HL balance
SW 315-330

There are loads of good rackets in this range or you can customize them a bit to get them where you want them.

volkl 6 as someone mentioned above
volkl v1 (the PB version has a lower SW and BB version has a higher SW)
BB Delta core Sportster (updated version of V1)
Wilson BLX pro open (loads of power with decent SW and medium flex)
Prince exo3 hybrid 100 (a 4.5 female friend has one of these and loves it, good fit for an improving junior)
Tecnifibre tfight v02 295
Prince 03 white (the old sharapova racket - good racket with loads of power)

My personal preference would be the volkl's as they are easiest on the arm. Even the stiffer volkl's play easy on the arm. My wife plays the BB V1. But, it is worth a demo on most of these.