PDA

View Full Version : Tried a Wilson K Zero -- Question...

Ziggy925
06-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm a 2.5 player slowly climbing the ladder this summer and taking lessons. Right now I play with an older Prince CTX.

Today I tried a new Wilson K Zero, and although it's lighter it didn't feel lighter. Also, when striking the ball with the Wilson it's a very solid "bang" with very little cushion. The Prince has a much softer feel to it.

Can someone explain what's going on? Is the newer racquet what I'm supposed to feel, or should I go with what feels good to me right now?

Thanks.

Funbun
06-03-2011, 03:44 PM
It's probably because the K Zero has more swingweight. As in, it has more power and plowthrough than the Prince racquet. While the K Zero may be lighter, most of the mass in it is a tad more concentrated in the head of the racquet.

It's a matter of simple physics; as you swing, you let the momentum of the racquet head collide with the ball. Typically with a higher swingweight, you might get a more comfortable, more crushing feel as opposed to one with a lower one, which may feel like you have to work harder to go through the ball.

At the professional level of tennis, players have extremely efficient and almost perfect technique. Thus, they can handle much higher, more heavier racquets because they're stronger and adroited in technique.

You're only a developing player, and so are many other people on this board. You'll eventually learn to swing heavier, higher swingweight racquets effortlessly. The K Zero probably feels good because it complements the sort of technique at your level.

But don't get me wrong, the K Zero is still a racquet not to be messed with. If you like it, definitely go with it. I've known a kid who bunts around with this racquet all day, but manages to crush everybody on the tennis team.

Ziggy925
06-03-2011, 06:33 PM
...You're only a developing player, and so are many other people on this board. You'll eventually learn to swing heavier, higher swingweight racquets effortlessly. The K Zero probably feels good because it complements the sort of technique at your level...

Yes, but you've got it backwards. I liked the cushier feel of the CTX. That's what I'm trying to find out. Is that solid feel of the Wilson K more normal than my old racquet, even though I didn't like it? In other words should I invest in a new Wilson K and retire the CTX and just get used to the Wilson? It does get good reviews, but so did the CTX at the time.

An analogy would be not liking a Ferrari because the ride is so different than a Toyota. Once educated, and with more experience, you start to realize that the Ferrari is the far superior car, and you'd have to be an idiot not to choose it over the Toyota, unless you need a backseat. :-) This is assuming price is not an issue.

whomad15
06-03-2011, 07:26 PM
head heavy makes it feel heavier even if its lighter. I find my 12oz 6pt-headlight racquet feels lighter than my 10.5 with an even balance.